Skip to main content

Hello, my son is 15 going into the 10th grade. last season he started on the varsity team. his fast ball is 85 consistent 83 is that good for a 6'1" 140 pound kid?. he is a pitcher only how many pitcher only kids get a d1 scholarship?. if any scout would like to watch him pitch how do I go about getting video to them?. he pitches for the Southside panthers in Southside Alabama. I think he will be good enough to play collage but again im his father lol. I would just to like to find out what his chances are of getting into a d1 school. he also has a lot of other pitches he has a amazing curve ball and 2 seam 4 seam fast ball change up that will make a batter swing twice before it reaches the plate. is youtube a good place to put his highlight videos? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just in the interest of honesty. His velocity isn't going to get him many offers from DI schools.  However, at his present size he could be considered extremely projectable. You might want to consider a JUCO that has a track record of developing pitchers.

The above is based on him being a RHP.  If he happens to be a LHP it is possible a DI school could be interested.

He is a RHP if he hits in the 90s by his senior year(which he should). He pitched in 7 games this past season his record is 6 and 1 with one being a no hitter. What impressed me was he was only 14 in the 9th grade. He has just turned 15. So if you know any collage recruiters (wink wink) have them take a look at him in the up coming years. Remember southside Alabama. Thanks
Originally Posted by mmiracle:
He is a RHP if he hits in the 90s by his senior year(which he should). He pitched in 7 games this past season his record is 6 and 1 with one being a no hitter. What impressed me was he was only 14 in the 9th grade. He has just turned 15. So if you know any collage recruiters (wink wink) have them take a look at him in the up coming years. Remember southside Alabama. Thanks

mmiracle,

Nice to meet another parent of a younger player.  My son just turned 15 this summer also and played varsity as a ninth grader last year.  One thing I have been told, at least here in Georgia; play with your grade in high school, not your age.  My son just made a top 16u travel team for the upcoming season and we can't wait!

(We would have also been at that showcase, but my son just got a cast off his hand yesterday, so he will not be 100% by then.)

If your son is hitting 85 heading into his sophomore year he should be fine.  My 2015 just committed to a D1 here in Ohio...(primarily pitcher, but possibly 2-way)....he's hit 87....and like your son is very young for his class and not real big (6',160).  He's 12 months away from starting college...and 18 months at minimum from seeing the mound in a game.  Hoping he'll be at 90 by then.  Your son is about 10 mph ahead of where my son was at that age....so I'm thinking if things continue he's got a bright future.  If you can't find a spot down there, head "up North"....you'll have plenty of options.

85 going into sophomore year is pretty good.

I would advise that if he isn't doing some sort of pitcher specific conditioning to strengthen his arm / shoulder, that you should look into it asap.  There are specific muscles that pitcher's use that are usually not part of traditional workouts.   

I would also say to get him a good pitching coach, but that's easier said than done. 

Originally Posted by mmiracle:
Buckeye 2015, I'm actually from Ohio big buckeye fan. And that's great that your son is going to play for them. Now that's a dream to have my son play for Ohio state.

Lol...small world.  My son is going to Bowling Green.  I'm guessing at some point he'll get to play against OSU....but not for them

If your son is 15 and already throwing like that....put something together and send it to Ohio State.  They have a fall prospect camp that was well attended by some southern kids last year when we were there.  If you have relatives up this way and would want to make a weekend out of it, it's probably worth your time to have them see him now.  "Northern" schools always like to pick up southern kids....though you may not see them recruiting down there as I think a lot of times they just don't think that kids would want to move up here and have to deal with cold temps and snow. 

I hear that every time my son pitches! LOL. I am 5'9" on a good day, he is a 6'3" 185 lb. pitcher.  Do they sell 6" shoe lifts?

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

Or if you're a lot shorter than your son, hang around and invariably the question will be asked to your son   "Where did you get your height?"  (5'9" vs 6'3") 

Originally Posted by SultanofSwat:
Originally Posted by RJM:

If you're (the dad) 6'3", 180 or more, stand where the college coaches will become aware he's your son.

Also, 2 inch shoe lifts are only $20.  Great investment

A 5'10" friend used to be concerned about being pointed out as the dad of his 6' son. He was afraid coaches would think the kid had physically peaked at seventeen.

I have a 15 year old 2017 grad.  RHP 84mph fastball with a plus curve/change and a wipe out slider. He also throws 84 from the outfield/ plus running speed and good LH bat. He is only 5'6 and will probably max out at 5'9. We live in NY and have some interest already from some low D1 schools. He would like to play at least Mid D1 as a two way player and has very good grades. Is this a reasonable goal or should his focus be on committing early to one of the lower locals in one position. First time around the block and advice would be greatly and humbly appreciated.       

2way -

Welcome.  I'm sure other posters will be along, but I'll throw out what I can.

I think if you look around, you will find very few 2 way players in D1 - except for those guys who are primary fielders who do occasional mop up duty.  Not that it can't be done, it just isn't real common.  Div 1 good speed is a whole lot different than high school good speed.  Unless you can really hit, you are going to need sub 7 speed at least on the corners, even lower in CF.  I don't know if you son is in those ranges, but that is where he will need to be.

Pitching velocity wise, for right handers they are looking for guys who hit 90 these days.  I hate to say it, because my 2017 son is in the same boat, but having good secondary stuff, is almost irrelevant if you don't have the velocity they are looking for. On the Div 1 level, if the batters don't fear you throwing the ball past them, they will sit on the breaking stuff and knock it into the parking lot.  With that being said, he still has time to work on the velocity.  Where he will need to be depends on the program, and the level of competition they face.

What I would say first and foremost is that your son should find a school he wants to attend regardless if he ever steps on the baseball field.  While baseball should be part of the decision making process, the reality is that ultimately he is there for an education and you want to make sure he is in the best position to attain that. You don't want to end up at a school he would have never wanted to go to, except for the fact that he may get a chance to play.

2way - if your sons grades and scores are good enough, I'd suggest thinking about an Ivy League school. In the Ivy League, many coaches actively recuit two way players; while most cannot continue in that role, those that can perform, are extremely valuable because of the small number of players on each roster (it's common that teams carry fewer then 30 players).

Moreover, late bloomers are not unusual and find homes at Ivy schools (since many programs have often completed recruiting even before summer of senior year). While most Ivy programs can roll out a couple of pitchers who sit 90, 85mph control pitchers with a swing and miss pitch will get lots of playing time (and, if proball isn't in the cards, a fine job).

Last edited by Goosegg

Similar situation here too.  Except a LHP and already 6'2" class of 2017.  Not done growing according to doctor visit this month.  Two way player as he is an excellent hitter who normally goes opposite field and has good glove at 1B, but prefers pitching.  Known primarly as a strike out pitcher, his velo is "only" at high 70's consistently but he has been clocked as high as 81mph.  He has straight A's in challenging classes at a private school and plays other sports, though his goal is collegiate baseball at a very good school.  When should he start contacting coaches? 

Originally Posted by Twoboys:

Similar situation here too.  Except a LHP and already 6'2" class of 2017.  Not done growing according to doctor visit this month.  Two way player as he is an excellent hitter who normally goes opposite field and has good glove at 1B, but prefers pitching.  Known primarly as a strike out pitcher, his velo is "only" at high 70's consistently but he has been clocked as high as 81mph.  He has straight A's in challenging classes at a private school and plays other sports, though his goal is collegiate baseball at a very good school.  When should he start contacting coaches? 

It wouldn't hurt to send out some "introduction" type emails now....but I would say that after next HS season would be a good time to start pursuing it a little more seriously.  Another 7-9 months could make a big difference in his strength and velocity.  If he's up to 83-84 by then he'll get plenty of looks from coaches

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.