Skip to main content

It's tryout time.  Son plays on a top 25 16u travel team on their top team.  He is a young 2022.  Only one of the 2022's on his team is committed, which is really concerning.  Lot's of scouts at his games but not any commits.  Scouts seem to be looking at arms not position players.

Should he tryout for the 18u team for the fall or the 17u team?  I feel like coaches looking for a 2022 would be looking at the 18u team but both teams will probably be in the same fall tournaments.  17u is the higher profile team.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A player wants to play where he will be seen by the right coaches. It’s typically 17u. 18u is typically for players who have already committed or aren’t playing past high school. The key is asking the organization what tournaments will the team play and what exposure will they provide.

If he is not committed, then he probably projects  as D2, D3, NAIA, or juco.  Ask the organization where he should play to get in front of those coaches, where the teams are playing, and which colleges they are going to contact specifically about your son.  It may be that he needs to go to individual school camps or local showcases instead of playing on a fall team.  If he has been in the organization a while, he should not be "trying out" for any particular team, you should be in dialogue with them about what team will best meet his needs.

@JETSR71 posted:

Feedback from organization is 17u.  18u is just for fun.  He emails D1 schools as a wish list item.  He is a very young 2022, so, he is strongly considering JuCo and NAIA to get bigger and stronger.  6'0" 180 is not as impressive as 6'+, 200+.

What's impressive is his ability matching his position.

Email programs that would match his ability.  Not for laughs and giggles.

JMO

He has been emailing about 40-60 schools.  D1, D2, D3, JuCo, NAIA in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, North Carolina.    Giving PBR showcase stats, PG Tournament stats and game video.  Rinse, lather and repeat.  He is following the HSBASEBALLWEB prescription. 

Next steps would be emailing Midwest and Northeast schools.

@JETSR71 posted:

Feedback from organization is 17u.  18u is just for fun.  He emails D1 schools as a wish list item.  He is a very young 2022, so, he is strongly considering JuCo and NAIA to get bigger and stronger.  6'0" 180 is not as impressive as 6'+, 200+.

Players get recruited on projectable talent and projectable size. If the kid has the talent the coaches project how big he can get and what it will do for talent.

My son was 6’ 170 post junior summer. He was 6’1” 175 when he graduated. He was 6’2” 195 second year of college.

One of his travel teammates was 6’1” 155 post junior summer. In college he only sized up to 6’2” 170. Both kids went P5 and stuck (pre Covid).

He can email all he wants, but is the travel organization reaching out to schools on his behalf?  Ideally, they should be able to look at his list, tell him which ones they are willing to contact about him, and then let you know.   Also, they should be able to tell you whether their tournaments will get him in front of appropriate schools.  If they don't/won't do that, then there's not much point his playing for them in the fall at all.

For a 2022, NOW is the time for this.

I want to add that we were in a somewhat large organization, and were shy about this sort of conversation, and in hindsight I regret that we didn't ask more questions earlier.  You have literally been paying them for this kind of advice based on their experience with your son, and you need to use it.  You also need to be willing to listen to what they tell you.  They recommended that your son play down, both last summer and now - why was that?  Have you asked them?  What is their plan for him?

Last edited by anotherparent

4.0 GPA. 1280 SAT (Retaking). All AP or duel enrollment courses.

Historically, this has been a great organization.  Son and I met with the organization president/owner two weeks ago.  He is still working on 2021's and getting to 2022's.  Not pleased with the answers we received.  None of the parents are happy with the answers they have gotten so far.

We have one commit on what was a top 25 16u team. Expecting a 50%+ exodus this fall.

Looking at options for other organizations that seem to do recruiting better.

Is his coach from this summer willing/able to reach out to colleges?  Or is he told to leave recruiting to the organization head?

That is how our organization worked - but, when it came down to it, the team coach did reach out to some colleges too, when we asked.  If he likes your son and the main guy is too busy to help, get advice from that coach, too.

@JETSR71 posted:

4.0 GPA. 1280 SAT (Retaking). All AP or duel enrollment courses.

Historically, this has been a great organization.  Son and I met with the organization president/owner two weeks ago.  He is still working on 2021's and getting to 2022's.  Not pleased with the answers we received.  None of the parents are happy with the answers they have gotten so far.

We have one commit on what was a top 25 16u team. Expecting a 50%+ exodus this fall.

Looking at options for other organizations that seem to do recruiting better.

Our program director didn’t adjust to all the curveballs Covid “threw”  at us either.  Spent more time complaining about lockdowns on Twitter than retweeting workout/skills video and then was so behind the count for 2021’s he completely neglected the 2022s. Now we have 1 commit for a top CA program that usually has 20plus per class. We have an exodus happening as well.  We will not leave. Although I think he didn’t execute well, part of the problem is the market and there just isn’t demand for 2022s.  Program directors are going to focus on getting kids any spot they can. Starting with the easiest placed (strongest players). If you aren’t one of those, I’d consider leaving.  That’s where we are losing players. B and C teams know they have no shot at getting placed until top kids have been farmed out.

My advice: you kid has good grades. Use that, because at this point it’s something a lot of kids don’t have and is something that may keep bigger fish from jumping into that pond.  Get him a tutor for the SAT stat. (Or look at schools that are test optional)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.