Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I cannot stress enough, do your homework people.

It ALL depends upon HOW much money you want to spend on your child?

If you have a deep well of cash, then their are opportunities but if you want to get the best bang out of your buck, then is an option just for you.

Remember folks, you the parents can gain exposure for your child with by creating his own bio and send nothing but the facts with pics to any school that your sons has desires to attend. Keep it to the highlight points and do not embellish, if you do not know, then do not document it.

Everyone has a video camera ... here you go ... another opportunity to get video footage of you son and a few more clicks ... YouTube and there you go, video footage of your son can be sent along as well.

Folks, with just a few clicks of the mouse and finish up with hitting the SEND button, you can get your son's names out there for basically nothing.

If parents just think about it, do you need to pay outrageous fees to be on showcases teams? Plus all of the time and travel with those lodging and food expenses, how much does that add up to?

Remember folks, this is like a funnel, when the little ones start out 5,6,7,8yrs old ... everyone's on top, as each level is approached, the funnel gets more narrow and even tighter as the end of the funnel, only a few make it through the system.

In the end, the choice is for you the parents to make, but at what cost? More parents should focus on the education part and if baseball works out, then that would be a HR.

Respectfully shared,
Coach Milburn
Last edited by MILBY
Thanks Coach Milburn,

2011 graduate at the tight end of the funnel. Have read also where coaches don't want videos or emails. It gets confusing for players to know what's the best approach. You don't want to attend all these camps that may be just fundraisers. You're ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't. Will get the video going with the letter/email and hope for the best! Thanks again.
quote:
Originally posted by longtoss00:
Thanks Coach Milburn,

2011 graduate at the tight end of the funnel. Have read also where coaches don't want videos or emails. It gets confusing for players to know what's the best approach. You don't want to attend all these camps that may be just fundraisers. You're ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't. Will get the video going with the letter/email and hope for the best! Thanks again.

Another suggestion, get names/contact info of reliable baseball individuals who can verify your information.

Credible references!
Last edited by MILBY
The most important thing I can stress when it comes to showcase baseball is finding a team where you are comfortable. Some cost more, some cost less but it all boils down to which program the player and family feels comfortable with.

All the programs mentioned above do a good job of positioning the players in front of colleges and scouts, so it's up to you to find out all you can about the program and what they stand for.
Biggest thing, the player and especially the parents have to be very realistic about what school do you have a legit shot of player college baseball at?

There is a school for everyone, just at what level of baseball do you have the ability to play at.

I would get a few evaluations from a few different baseball instructors and go from there ... that should give you an idea of what level you can play at.
We're still navigating the waters, but in our experience this is what we have found:

-- HS Coaches are more likely to emphasize the importance of HS ball to finding the right college opportunity.

-- Travel/Showcase team Coaches are more likely the emphasize that HS ball gives you a calling card, but that it is in summer ball where you can really be seen.

-- Independent Instructors/Consultants are more likely to tell you that the key to recruiting success is honing your skills, making videos, and possibly getting on a recruiting website.

-- Showcase compaines will emphasize the importance of attending showcase events ... whether that be instructional showcases, skills combines, or competition based events.

-- In answering a generic question, College Coaches are likely to tell you to attend one or more of the camps they hold at their school.

After speaking with many parents whose kids are in or through with college, as well as highly regarded collegiate and former collegiate coaches, these are the guidelines under which we are operating:

1) Develop a list of schools that your player wants to attend. This list should include Dream Schools, Back-Up Schools at which he would be happy, and Safety Schools where he knows he can attend & compete.

2) Pick these schools 1st on academics, do they offer the type of studies in which the player is interested; 2nd on the social/culture issues, is this the type of location & people I want to spend lots of time with and around; 3rd on whether or not you can play baseball at the school.

3) Visit these schools. Meet the Coaches. Ask what the Coaches are looking for in recruits and what they expect of their players. Ask them what a day in the life of a student-athlete in their program is like. Ask them what Junior needs to be able to bring to the table to be considered a legitimate prospect. Ask them their process for scouting and identifying players. Ask them how they prefer to communicate with prospective players & parents.

4) STUDY, train, practice, and play hard, to be a stand-out player in your HS program, so that your HS Coach is more than happy to recommend you to college coaches. Be the type of student-athlete Coaches dream of having on their team.

5) Find a summer/fall travel/showcase team that affords you the opportunity to compete at the highest level possible, and in events that are likely to be attended by the colleges on your list. Key Point: play at the highest level that you can, where you can stay on the field. Warming the bench for a big-name team may not serve you as well as being a starter for a lesser known team. Note: this may require playing for more than 1 team, depending on what events you are seeking to attend.

6) Communicate with the Coaches at the schools on your target list to let them know where you will be playing, and how they can communicate with you and/or your Coaches. If you can tell them when you are starting, let them know the times and field, to make it easier to see you play.

7) When you have narrowed the search down to a few schools, attend their camps. This shows your commitment to their program, gives the Coaches the best opportunity to see you in a concentrated environment, and affords you and the Coaches the opportunity to get to know each other a little. After participating, contact the Coaches to find out how they view you as a prospect, and ask them what more you need to do -- if anything -- to have them see you as a player they want to have in their program.

All that said ... the original question had to do with NoVa based showcase teams. There are any number of quality programs in the region. My son has very much enjoyed playing for the M/A Mustangs, but there are many good clubs out there.

My son has also played for College Select Baseball (TRhit's Club) which is a great club also, that offers lots of exposure to schools in the Northeast; and the So Cal Natl Travel Team, who places lots of players in the West and Southwest. My guy is looking at schools in all 3 regions, so it has made sense to us for him to play for these different programs.

Then again ... since my guy is not in college yet, and is still in the front-end of this recruiting process (he's a 2011), we may have this all wrong.

I hope there is some value in this for you ...
Last edited by southpaw_dad
Southpaw posted the following that I would like to address...not be confrontial just relaying my past experiences

-- HS Coaches are more likely to emphasize the importance of HS ball to finding the right college opportunity.

First there is nothing wrong with a HS coach emphasizing the importance of playing for his HS. Secondly I think a HS coach who is honest would direct kids to college where they can play. Most HS kids I know all want to play D1 even if its obvious they don't have the talent, skill or work ethic for D1. Most kids only know that D1 is major college and they know nothing about D2, D3 or NAIA. They think often times those level are beneath them. They don't realize that D1 baseball is the cream of the crop. D2 is really good but probably didn't have the grades. D3 is for kids that are physically not of D1 caliber, players a step slow, 2 inches to short or players that don't possess great fastballs, breaking balls, speed etc. NAIA is really good baseball but again its often kids who are academically a risk coming out of HS

-- Travel/Showcase team Coaches are more likely the emphasize that HS ball gives you a calling card, but that it is in summer ball where you can really be seen. This is true and since colleges play during the spring this is where kids will be seen.

-- Independent Instructors/Consultants are more likely to tell you that the key to recruiting success is honing your skills, making videos, and possibly getting on a recruiting website.

This centers around money. They will make videos and send them to who you want....for a fee. Independant instructors...while there are many good ones there are still plenty who will tell you and your parents that you are good and your working hard so keep coming. I have yet to meet the private coach who tells a young man they just don't have the skill/talent to play baseball. They tell you to keep coming, keep working hard and btw your check is due now.

-- Showcase compaines will emphasize the importance of attending showcase events ... whether that be instructional showcases, skills combines, or competition based events.

Again this is about parents paying big money, showcases making big money but all the talent will be centrally located so a college coach can make a trip and see multiple players at one venue

-- In answering a generic question, College Coaches are likely to tell you to attend one or more of the camps they hold at their school.

And this is about the college coach making money on camps for him and his assistants while again having a central location for observing players. Nothing wrong with this and its probably the best route to go in many instances.

You don't have to agree but this is my opinion and opinions are like noses.
Last edited by Local8SS
D3-Shenandoah University's Pre-Season All-American after completed an outstanding a sophomore season, Greg VanSickler.

Here is classic example of a late bloomer. Would you believe that Mr. VanSickler went into a week long slump during his SENIOR year back in 2007 at James Wood and I believe went from just under .400 and dropped to high .290-.300 range for his senior year. Greg was a young senior, graduating just turning 17yrs olds.

Here's the kicker, everyone on my college distribution list of 100+ schools had an e-mail about Greg VanSickler during the early spring of 2007. UVA saw him late during the summer of 2007 and liked what they saw but Greg was sold on being at SU under the direction of Head Coach Kevin Anderson (former JMU skipper during early-mid 90's) while giving his family an opportunity to see him play close to home. Also he was most interested in SU's School of Business.

See folks, you just never know what can happen within a couple of years or in this case, just 1yr as I truly did not see Greg hitting over .400 for his freshmen year but did expect him to pitch like he did.

In my opinion, Greg VanSickler has a shot do something real special this season.

http://suhornets.com/sports/bs...eases/2010011891oil8
quote:
D3-Shenandoah University's Pre-Season All-American after completed an outstanding a sophomore season, Greg VanSickler.

I'm confused, I thought this was about NoVa travel teams. Good for VanSickler, but what does his batting average have to do with this discussion? But to further add to my confusion - not sure why a D1 prospect would turn down UVA for Shenandoah. No disrespect to Shenandoah. Confused
quote:
Originally posted by greenmonstah:
quote:

I'm confused, I thought this was about NoVa travel teams. Good for VanSickler, but what does his batting average have to do with this discussion? But to further add to my confusion - not sure why a D1 prospect would turn down UVA for Shenandoah. No disrespect to Shenandoah. Confused

Greg VanSickler honored his commitment that he made to SU. UVA came late into the picture and they could of put pressure on him to come but the perception is that UVA's staff believes in the code of ethics that once a player gives his word, that he's basically off the radar as a recruit.

Greg VanSickler, was a kid who played American Legion Baseball and did not chose the travel team route.
I don't know, but I can tell you that his name was circulated with my college coaches list so everyone was informed about him.

Plus, you know, High School talk about the good players when they are asked, who's the better players within your league? They do, I remember Coach Holmes from Liberty HS who is the AD now told me that with the Tulane coach called him, he said, Handley has a pitcher named Jeff Hahn who went to Clemson and Jeff Hahn played American Legion Baseball for Post 21 Winchester for four years and I believe he went to one showcase camp during his junior summer which was the Team One camp if I recall correctly.
I don't believe there is anything wrong with Showcase Baseball, but I don't believe you have to go to everyone, either - if anyone tells you it's not a business, then...... Just pick the right ones - if you are good enough to play at the D1 Level, you are going to be seen somewhere, or your HS Coach should be inviting coaches to come see his top level talent play.

I have coached a 19U Summer Team for the past 5 years, we have played in over 200 games from Puerto Rico to San Jose, CA - if you are good enough - you will be seen! That is my opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by saipanwarrior:
...if you are good enough to play at the D1 Level, you are going to be seen somewhere, or your HS Coach should be inviting coaches to come see his top level talent play.

1) How will you be seen if you don't go to where the coaches are?

2) HS coaches rarely call college coaches and invite them out to see a kid play. This is more a responsibility of the player than the coach. The coach assists in the process but the player drives it.

3) College coaches are a little busy to just jump in a car in hopes of seeing someone decent.
Southpaw_dad hit the nail on the head.

You can believe whatever you want to believe but there is no perfect approach. It's a balance of being seen and competing at the highest possible level and working on your skills and hitting the books and reaching out to coaches yourself and so on and so on and so on.

It's work. Showcase ball and private instructors have changed the landscape for better and for worse but thinking that "they'll find you if you're good enough" is just not true. Colleges have learned to maximize their time and budgets by attend showcases or building relationships with showcase teams and some select high school coaches as their network for recruiting. Just because you have talent doesn't gurantee you any opportunities anymore - the recruiting process is equally the responsibility of the players and the programs nowadays.
venkman -- Golf ended for me when travel ball started in 2005. That was a good thing, I'm not a very good golfer Smile

Good luck in your search for the right team. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything about the Mustangs experience, or College Select (from CT).

I can only offer thoughts on other programs by reputation, having competed against them, or possibly putting you in touch with families who have played with them.

I would just encourage you to be sure to ask the questions up front to make sure the program fits your player's goals, and family situation.

Schedule of events?
Approach to playing time/substitution plans?
Travel requirements?
Anticipated player fees & travel budget (time & $$)?
Size of roster?
What types of players is the club looking for?
Approach to Full-time and/or Part-time players?
Funding and/or fund-raising requirements?

Best of luck to you and your player!
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Milburn:
...Greg VanSickler, was a kid who played American Legion Baseball and did not chose the travel team route.

Maybe if he had, he would have been with UVA in Omaha last summer or another Division I school. Just sayin...

True but Greg really likes Coach Anderson and honored his decision to play for SU.

As for travel/showcase, it's really made baseball recruiters job a lot easier and they are missing out on talent in other areas because from I understand that the majority wants to attend these big showcase events which is understandable but like I said, everyone missed the boat on Greg VanSickler.

I believe we are ALL here to help each other, I think HS coaches should be willing to help and educate the players on the whole process. Sure, not many coaches call college coaches anymore, BUT e-mail is so quick and more efficient as its availalbe 24/7 w/o a phone ringing on the other end. It's up to the college coach whether to open and read the e-mail or delete it BUT they do have information within their in-box on whatever recruit.
Redbird:

Your right, most out of town college coaches will not just get in their car and go out to see a high school game or a summer league tournament but local D1 schools with ties to the coaches will.....and like I said, you just chose the right showcases to attend. I know ODU, NSU, VWC, CNU are out at HS games in our area along with scouts, etc.....and most show up at a few of the summer league games as well.

Really - tell me the benefit of playing a showcase tournament at William and Mary, then VT, then UVA, then ECU - spend $3000 dollars on team, travel, hotel, food - play about 3 innings a game - same coaches at most of these events, right? Sure the players are playing against better competition - but aren't the teams usually the same as well at about all the events........except for the WWBA Events in GA. And is it really good for a pitcher to go to a showcase - warm up - throw as hard as he can for about 10 pitches, then leave - I read about a lot of pitchers that end up injuried going to these events.....just look at the number of TJ surgery's on HS kids/college freshman over the past 5 to 7 years......

Also, don't these showcases pay college coaches to come to their events????? So are they coming for the players or the money?????

Also, if I remember correctly - wasn't the VA Commonwealth Games attended pretty heavy by college recruiters???? So, here is an event that doesn't cost the player - so if you are good enough in VA, then you will get seen.

Again - I'm all for anything that will help the kids get to college....but I just believe that more than half of the events/teams are business related and not for the benefit of the kids.
Last edited by saipanwarrior
saipan,

I haven't had the same experience as you with showcase tourneys.

My team plays to win every game. We keep a limited roster so that my kids get maximum exposure. Pitchers usually get 4 innings per weekend. They warm up properly and stay within a pitch count. We look out for their arms and usually communicate with their HS coaches about their use in the summer. Arm injuries are not from a showcase. They are usually from extreme wear and tear on the arm...maybe travel teams? I would love to see where you have read about arm injuries from HS showcases. Do you happen to have the links?

Position players play 2+ out of every 3 games. They get plenty of ABs in front of the colleges.

We only faced the same team three times last year.

What is the benefit of a showcase tourney? Well...a college gets to see a player succeed and fail up close and personal. They get to see them play against a quality team which allows for better comparison. They get to see you play 3-4 games in a weekend...plenty of time to evaluate.

No college coaches were paid to come to any events we played. They come because of the talent level. The same coaches are not at every event. So...most of your post does not apply to the Canes.

As for HS games, yes...local colleges come out, which is great if you want to go to ODU or NSU. But, UVA or Va Tech isn't hopping in a car hoping to find a player in Tidewater. As for pro scouts, there are only a handful of players who are draftable from this area in 2010...and they all play on showcase teams.

As for Commonwealth...you are right, that is why I made sure we have an open weekend so my players can participate if they are fortunate enough to make their teams.

I am not discrediting what you do - it is very commendable. But...your view of showcase teams is rather skewed and inaccurate.
Last edited by redbird5
quote:
I'm not knocking on the Canes Program at all

You kinda are. You say that if you can play, you don't need a showcase team. You said college coaches are paid to come to events (false). You say we play the same teams over and over (false). You say playing time is limited (false). You say many arm injuries are caused by showcases (false).

quote:
...And as far as UVA coming to our area - not true - I've seen O'Connor in our area plenty of times.

I have as well, but...he didn't just come here on a whim.
Last edited by redbird5
I agree with Redbird. Our experience has been nothing but positive on our Showcase team. I think it is important if you want to get looks and you have the talent to get on a team that will open doors, which not all Showcase teams do. Scouts from colleges seem to show up for the Canes, Richmond Braves and Dirtbags. I have heard of complaints that some "Showcase" teams charge a bundle and few if any scouts come to their games... I think you have to choose a team that will bring out the scouts. So I couldn't agree with you more about those teams, that want the big bucks, but can't produce a single player offer and there are quite a few in NoVA. I'm not sure if my boy played for the local Legion team he would get the same exposure.

I think Legion is great opportunity for some. There are kids that don't want to play in College, and for those who are eligible play after their first year at College, so it offers excellent competition, but I don't think it offers the same exposure.
Out of our organization, we run both showcase and legion ball. It baffles me why there's such a divide between the two.

The Mid-Atlantic Mustangs recruit current freshmen through juniors from the MA region to field the strongest team possible, win games and position our players to be noticed by as many colleges and scouts as possible.

Our legion program (Post 181 - Leesburg, VA) serves the graduating seniors and age eligible college players coming back that are within our geographic boundaries. Since most seniors have already committed to a college if they're going to, playing a very strong legion schedule with a couple of showcase tournaments mixed in is a great way for these players to stay sharp before they go off to school.

We have had players that have played both for us and have loved every minute of it. I think each program benefits players in different ways. By no stretch of the imagination will a legion program offer the same exposure that a showcase program will, but it was never intended to do that.
Last edited by Mid-Atlantic Mustangs
quote:
the VA Commonwealth Games attended pretty heavy by college recruiters???? So, here is an event that doesn't cost the player - so if you are good enough in VA, then you will get seen.

Probably no event raises expectations, and then yields nothing, quite so frequently as the Commonwealth Games.

Yes, there are success stories. But they are far outnumbered by the tales of hopeful players who never hear a word from anyone.

And then it is often scheduled to conflict with WWBA events.

Any stud pitcher would do far, far better at East Cobb. For position players, it may depend on your ability level as to which works better for you, but year after year I hear tales of disappointment by those who chose the Comm. Games over East Cobb.
I agree with Midlo Dad. East Cobb is one of the most heavily attended events in the country in terms of college programs. Even at the same time as the Commonwealth Games, there are still numerous VA schools represented in East Cobb.

Since events like the comm. games run at the same time as a WWBA or other high profile event, a lot of the best players skip on them to attend the bigger events.

As always it comes down to what makes the player/family comfortable in what they're trying to do.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.