Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am not sure what SGA is?

My son keeps up with his grades and baseball schedule because he has to, that's it in a nutshell. He is lucky to have a support system that actually supports him, from the athletic advisor all the way up to the Head Coach.
Not all school academic and bb programs are the smae, some make more demands than others. During the recruiting process, it is important to fully understand the difficulty of the bb program as well as the classes.
SGA = Student Government? I think the athletics and the academics compliment each other for many students especially those that aren’t driven academically. The athletic aspect requires an academic level and therefore a need to achieve. This need equates to additional support from the athletic department in the way of tutors and class schedules. I know in my son’s case the athletics helped him academically. As far as additional activities are concerned, the time required by baseball doesn’t allow much flexible time to pursue other activities. During my son’s recruitment most coaches said they would allow the player to do as they pleased with their free time but they were also quick to point out that baseball took precedence over everything except academics.
When your son is investigating schools, have him check to see what support will be offered. There may be required study halls, available tutors, close connections between the profs and the coach to send up red flags if the grades are faltering.

IMHO, don't encourage additional activites in college --- this isn't high school; workouts and practices take up pretty much all non-classtime daylight hours, leaving evenings for study.
SGA-Student Government Association

My answer would be that there is very little time for being involved in SGA or any other college
activity that requires a lot of time. If on scholarship, the college coach has a vested interest
in your son and is certainly going to make sure he has decent grades and is working out on a daily basis-even on off days. Naturally, I cannot speak for all colleges but most coaches are
paid for successes(wins) and anything that keeps players(other than academics) from being 100%
baseball ready is probably going to be discouraged.
I quess my son was right then about the SGA. He has a great support system at his highschool that allows him to do both right now. Plus they understand during basball that baseball is his priority. But as stated highschool baseball is nothing compared to college. I could tell that by looking at the number of games. As a mother I am concerned about his academics also(actually dads are too so I should say as a parent) We do need to find a school with a great support system. He takes advantage of it at Highschool and I know he would at College also.

I know of a parent whose child went to a camp at a college in Florida and the Coach there said that all of his players were in a certain major because of the demands of the program. She thought that was great. I would rather him find a school where he can do his major of choice and play ball. But I quess the SGA is out.
NO different at D3.......My son has time for school and baseball.....no SGA and no fraternity life.....baseball is his fraternity.

He came home Saturday night, we had dinner, did his laundry, he spent the night, and left sunday morning to be back at school for his college teams youth baseball camp where he worked from 11-5......

Cant stress is enough what a committment playing a college sport is...... Sons team has lost a number of players who after the fall reconsidered how much time baseball requires.......
Thank you for the insight. I knew you all would be able to answer the questions for me.

I'd like at ask one more. If he gets academic money because of his Leadership in the SGA does that then require the involvement in College? He plans on using it to help since there are no full rides for baseball. Just not sure of the requirements there after receiving the money.
He seems to think it would no problem. That he hopefully get it based on his involvement the the highschool but not have to do it in college.
Sue-Hope what you've read is not a discouragement to you or your son, it's just
the nature of the game. All three of my kids(2 sons and a daughter) were heavily
involved in SGA-daughter still is as a senior in HS-but the two playing baseball
in college now would not be able to give their best to the very competitive baseball programs they are in and keep up to the academic level that they were at
in high school.

It CAN be done, however, if your son really wants to be involved in SGA or other
college related activities and still play baseball. He just needs to find a school where athletics are not as demanding and time consuming as most are. I'm
guessing it would have to be at a Division III school where no athletic scholarships are awarded. But keep in mind that a lot of DIII schools take their
sports very seriously and may be just as demanding as DI or II. Hey, not knowing
your son, he may be able to handle it at ANY college he attends and more power to
him. It's nice to see that he wants to continue to be involved.

Good Luck!
What you heard about players majoring in certain programs is correct. The demaands of bb and the bb schedule sometimes make it virtually inpossible to be involved in classes that require extensive lab time.
Now basically is the time that your son needs to decide which path he wants ot take for his future. Has noting to do with playing beyond college. There are sacrifices that have to be made, and one of them is deciding upon which major your son will follow, if involved in baseball. Business,mamagement, communications seem to be a great fit for many players. While harder more difficult majors can be managed, something might suffer eventually.
If your son is interested in government, have him investigate schools that have a msjor in that field and a baseball program. Just a suggestion. And this is a good question to ask during the recruiting period, about his inteneded area of study.
Last edited by TPM
Moc1,
Actually I am the one that wanted him to stay involved. He feels it would be too much. That is why I asked the question to get perspective from other parents. I quess he had talked to enough Coaches and players to understand the demands better than I could. He hopes to play Div.1 so I know that he would not choice a Div.3 so that he could stay involved. Baseball is his first love and SGA is second.
Great that you are doing your homework early. There are a few boys on my sons team invlved in communications.
Just remember that the decision to play somewhere will be contolled in teh end by the Coach, he may only get an offer to play at a school that does not have a communications major. These are things that need to be considered in the end.
Your son is one step ahead of the game, as most have no clue as to their intended major.
My son plans to study engineering while playing baseball. If you choose a challenging major with the lab requirements, check into the school's policy regarding 5th year. We were pleasantly surprised that many schools offered a full ride for the fifth year of college, after your baseball eligibility is over. This is done through university endowments.
We hope that my son can carry the hours necessary to play baseball (12- 15 per semester) but not overload his schedule, especially in the spring, with an academic load that he can't manage. Taking 5 years to finish college is not unusual and I want him to experience some of the more "fun" college courses, especially during the baseball season. Who knows, he may find a whole new area of interest just by trying different courses.
The university wants their athletes to graduate.
BTW, this 5th year offer was more common at large state schools.
In this case your son has already indicated he feels it would be too much. By all means listen to him. He is the one who would have to be so passionate about doing both that he would be willing to make huge sacrifices to make it work.

As for keeping up the grades, choose wisely when setting your class schedule. Some classes lend themselves to the hectic season schedule better than others.

If he's the type of person who can study on a loud, hectic bus driving to and from games he has a leg up on most kids. There is a lot of time to read and compose papers if you can resist the temptation to get dealt into the card games.

Which goes back to the previous topic. Reading literature books or history books is easier to do on the bus than trying to work out complex math problems.
Last edited by AParent
I just want to echo the comment from the D3 parent above. My son is a soph Communication major at a D3 college. His schedule is completely full with going to class, going to practice and games, working out, and doing classwork/studying.

Fall and Spring he has no time for anything else - his social life is his teammates and the guys on his dorm floor. For about two months in the winter (Nov-Dec) he has a few more hours per week of available time, which he uses to play IM basketball, and a local men's hockey league once a week. But he does that in place of time he would otherwise need to spend running to stay in shape. He also throws at least 3 x per week, year 'round (pitcher).

Even at a D3 - baseball and academics, that's a completely full schedule for most of the year. He loves it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.