Skip to main content

Is this just a mental (i.e., swing at anything close to the strike zone) change in approach only, or a physical approach (i.e., choke up, move closer to the plate, eliminate the leg kick, wide stance, etc.)?  There are a lot of differing opinions on the web, and I'm curious what folks out there think.  It does not appear that the ballplayers in the playoffs seem to do much differently from a physical perspective with 2 strikes, with the exception of Rizzo, who seemed to choke up a bit.    

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's an individual thing.  Depends on the hitter's style as well as what the coach wants.  A lot of power hitters today are instructed to still try to drive HR's even with 2 strikes.  One of the (many) reasons both HR's and K's are up.... Depends on the game situation, too.  Man in scoring position with 2 outs in a tie game late?  That's different. 

The greatest hitters of All-Time (Bonds, Ruth, Williams etc) would adapt their approach to fit the situation.

A few years ago I was organizing a clinic with 5 former MLB players. With 2 strikes and a right handed hitter they eliminated the left field and in their mind created left center as the foul line. The good hitters do not change their stance. They have already determine the pattern of the pitcher. "Do not stand in the hole dug by the previous RH hitter".

During a clinic, I ask Joe Rudi the reason for his RBI success. Joe said " when Reggie

was at bat, I prayed he would walk so I could hit"! 

RBI hitting takes a different mentally.

Bob Williams

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.