Skip to main content

2015 son just completed PRP for a partial elbow UCL tear & will have a consultation visit with Dr James Andrews in early June with the assumption that Tommy John surgery will be needed. ACC D1 commit, PG 1st Team AA & Top 100 player dubbed as a "legit 2-way" player (MIF/RHP).  

From my limited research, a MIF could start hitting as early as 4 months & playing 2nd Base in 8 months. Obviously pitching will not be realistic for 12 months.

Anyone with experience on how 2-way player's TJ rehab/timeline might be handled as it relates to returning to the MIF first & eventually the mound. Any issues with returning to play 2B as recovery continues for the mound?

What's normal to resume lifting? What type of limitation is normal for dumb-bell bench/curls?  

Original Post

BK_Razorback- Sorry to hear the unfortunate news. I don't have specific answers to your questions, however, I know from personal experience that the folks at the Andrews Institute will be able to answer everything. During the pre-op appointment, you and your son will be walked through the procedure from beginning to end, including meeting with the physical therapy staff. Attached to the facility in Pensacola is a performance and strength facility called EXOS. When I had my surgery in 2011, it was called Athlete's Performance. I was given a tour of that facility as well, and I'm sure anyone there would be able to answer you. The Andrews staff is truly top-notch and you will get plenty of information from them.

Best of luck.

Last edited by J H

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.