Skip to main content

I was wondering if any of the parents here whose sons were drafted and signed (HS) could share some info with us on how they are all doing.

Some honest thoughts on your perspective of your son's experiences. What they will be doing in the off season, where they are playing, have they played yet, etc. I think that it would be important to share this info for the 05 parents who will be going through this experience. I found lots of information here regarding college recruiting but little perspective during the year on those that actually decided to start their pro career early.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He wishes he would have taken Spanish instead of two years of French. noidea

He called home after participating in his very first day of workouts as a professional. He asked, "Am I really getting paid to do this?" It was as if he was saying, 'Pinch me, dad because this is too good to be true'.

As the first week or two went passed by, I sensed some homesickness on his part. Now as he is getting more used to the routine he is in, I sense that has now faded. Now when he calls he likes to talk about how his latest outing went rather than some of the off-the-field 'obsticles' of everyday life he didn't have to concern himself with when he was home - getting to an ATM or finding a place to get a good dinner without a car. Those obsticles seem to be working themselves out now.

His team plays games for five consecutive days and have off the sixth. He pitches so he goes through the daily pitcher's workouts and pitches in games every sixth day with five days of rest. Right now, every day, every outing is a learning experience. He is learning all over how to pitch, how to condition himself (mentally and physically), how to live away from home.

He expects to stay in (Arizona) rookie league this through the summer. He will get about three weeks off before instrux begin.

After instrux is done in late fall, son will come home and maintain a club-directed off-season conditioning program until spring training begins.

During the winter, son and the club will initiate what will become an annual indoor camp with all proceeds going to son's high school baseball program for equipment, etc. (This was son's idea to give back to the school. The club is very willing to help out by providing uniformed coaches in this effort.)

That's all for now. Would like to read other parents comments.
Last edited by 11
My son is also in the AZ rookie league (pitcher) and he is experiencing a similar summer. I think the homesickness hit him earlier and harder, but getting his vehicle helped him get around and meet people. His team must be working them harder than 11's son. Our son gets up at 4:30 AM and is at the park by 5:30. Practice begins at 6:00. Games are at 10:30. He did take Spanish, but he is having difficulty using it. He is happy to have been drafted, but the routine and frequent monotony tend to wear on a 18 year old who is used to a totally different lifestyle. Also, fending for himself has been a new experience. He wanted the team to draft his mother, too, to assure his lifestyle!!

Hey, 11, how did you get the team to help with the winter camp? We asked our team's local scout a similar question, and he said that the team isn't interested. We want to help our local little league with a fundraiser, but we would love to do it with the team's blessing. Any info would be appreciated.

To the parents of kids who may be drafted: Our son says be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Rookie ball is hard work and it's very HOT in AZ (114 degrees the day I saw him pitch). And it's not like your normal summer leagues.

Good luck to all.
Sorearm,
Thank you for your reply. I think it is helpful to others who will be going through the process this year to hear about both sides (college first or pro).
My son almost choked when he saw his schedule. Sixteen hours of class a week plus an extra life skills class once per week,lab, am workout, afternoon practice and mandatory study hall five days a week. No practice Mondays. He is wondering when he gets time to eat and sleep!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.