Skip to main content

Good point RHP05.
It has always confused me that the MLB club knows what rounds and when they will pick, they have a budget for that draft, they know the slot money MLB is going to have them use. Why don't they just all come in and hand you a piece of paper saying telling you what those numbers are and what monies will be in each round?

Anybody have any information on this?
quote:
Originally posted by RHP05Parent:
Just to add one more variable to consider ... Keep in mind the team's draft order! The phrase "fair slot-money for a round" can have a very different $$$ meaning from a team picking at the top of the round than from a team who is doing their picking at the bottom of each round. Cool

Slot money fairness for our family is the spot (#) you are drafted. In 04 there were 11 comp picks after the 1st round. In 05 there will be about 20 comp picks.The 1st player taken in the 2nd round last year was # 42. The first player taken in 05 in the 2nd round will be about #51. It is all in Baseball America, and parents owe it to themselves to do some homework.
We did homework when we chose our mates. We did homework in high school and college.When our kids recieved scholarships to college, I bet a lot of homework was done on the school and the value of the scholarship. If you choose an agent, you should do your homework on him. If you choose a financial advisor, hopefully you did your homework on them. A little homework at Baseball America should be done by Mom and Dad too and you can decide what is the amount it will take to sign if the player is drafted.
bbscout - thx, I am doing my homework as fast as I can! Smile Those previous BA draft numbers have been printed, highlighted, summarized and filed long ago! My post was a general observation. I agree that looking at the # makes more sense, thank you. But, the phrases we hear are "ranges of rounds" not "ranges of numbers". So, it seemed that paying attention to the organizations rotation was a good homework item! Big Grin There is a ton of information and advice out there, but scouts and advisors do this all year every year. The families are the ones, if lucky enough, that get dropped into this process and peddle as fast as they can! So, with the added help of you and others here I can continue my homework.... Finals will be here in less than 5 months. Cool Keep that advice coming! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by FrankF:
Bighit15,

No problem. I never said he wouldn't have his cell phone with him. Cool I'm sure his "advisor" will be in contact. I think what Bob was getting at was not to get so psyched up for something that you have no control over. I just know of some who listened on the internet both days with their buddies all around waiting and waiting for a call that never came. First team DII All-American who BA said was a fringe 5 tool guy (not the strongest arm) who was told he would be going on the first day of the draft and never got a call. The listening will be my job. biglaugh And for more reasons than just my son! Hopefully we will have the same "problem" you did.

Frank,

Talk to him quite a bit, he's been working out with us a lot, and go over to his house quite a bit. Guess he's going to the minor league camp with the Rockies this spring. Hope it works out for him, he's been good to me so far.

Brice

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.