Skip to main content

Curious as to what 05's are receiving from schools now that college/hs seasons in full swing?
For the past signees, is it normal for slowdown in general mail during season? Are the schools keeping in contact now most likely one's you may receive an offer from? Thanks
"Hope springs eternal." Former Cubs gm Ed Lynch.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

denisr400 -
It's really different for each school. Some have great recruiting resources and send continuous material; others will drop off during the season. The important thing is to keep up YOUR contact with the schools you are interested in. Don't wait for them to contact you and don't just look at 1 or 2 schools. It's still too early to narrow your interests to just a few. Right now you should be going on unofficial visits. See the section on juniors in the Recruiting Timeline

As for your question "Are these the ones you may receive an offer from?" Absolutely not. From the information we have received, there really is no correlation between the amount of mail you may receive from a school before July 1st and the schools who will actually make scholarship offers. Schools you hear from now may never call and ones that you have not heard from may surprise you. Here's a good article by Bob about recruiting: Recruiting Reality
It truly does vary from college to college and a lot has to do with where the boy played last summer and fall and whose radar screens he may be on. Also what amount "pro-active" marketing work the player/parents have already done will be reflected in the amount of mail already being received

One of our kids from Western NY has already had an unofficial visit to ASU in Phoenix

Some colleges send letters-- others wait until July

There is no set pattern
Tom is right. There is no set pattern. At our house colleges sent letters every week and never called, called a few times over the summer, or called every week like clock work. some colleges sent no letters at all and never called, called a few times over the summer, or called every week like clock work. Some sent emails, some started recruiting in the fall, som in the summer. Some sent Chrismas cards two years in a row.

There was no set pattern. I think the first letter Jr. got from the school he signed with was regarding the official visit in September.
The college who my son accepted his offer from in the fall never did send us any letters...

they didn't know who he was and we didn't know who they were...per se...

But he did receive many letters and some from colleges who did offer but it was only after they watched him during the summer and the fall ....to watch him...

Yet some who offered never saw my son play (that was a huge shock to us)....

No rhyme or reason on some of it...but keeping communication open with the schools that interest your son - is key...mail back forms, send schedules, followup...take unofficial visits...I was surprised when schools my son thought were places he liked did not "feel" that way after visiting...

One thing we learned is that college coaches talk...do not burn bridges...be positive and upbeat...that asst. coach just may be the head coach where you son lands in the future...who knows...
Last edited by BK'sMOM
Just Keep Going,
I understand those words so well at this point.All the above is currently happening at our house.This Sunday we travel three hours for an unofficial visit. Now thru the middle of May there are three more scheduled.Finding this site started this whole process in motion, and the kid being able to play a little has probably helped some as well.So until it comes to an end I think we will,JUST KEEP GOING.
TR is correct, will depend on the type of pro active marketing work has been done by parents. Pro markerting by the way = showcases, tournaments. A few will do. You don't have to go overboard.

I was going over the letters that my son had received last year. I did notice their was a difference between the letters written by the schools that actively recruited my son after July 1st to the ones that didn't. Of course he did not fill out every single questionaire. Each of those schools made it their business to see my son play last summer before the official invite came. Some schools will write to your son every week, others will write every few weeks, other every month. Doesn't matter. You will know when the time comes if they are really interested.

Just remember one thing and many of us have said it over and over, you could get a letter from every school in the US, doesn't mean a thing until the final offer is made. Some schools my son never returned a questionaire , but still called to recruit after July 1st.

I know Justball has brought this up before, advice for '05's, you better go where the coaches will be this summer, they may not come looking for your son.
About a week ago we sent out spring schedules and letters. So far we have gotten three responses from coaches- an email that said they will look at my son's schedule after their season is over, a letter that said we hope to see you play this spring or summer, and another letter that said "I would be very interested in recruiting you to play baseball at______." It's exciting and should be interesting this spring and summer! Who knows what will happen July 1. I'm sure it will depend on how the regular season goes...
In our home we are looking forward to July 1st, to really see what this recruitung process really is all about...We have a big collection of recruiting letter from 25 D1 colleges, letters are received on a weekly basis from all of them, they are stacking up big time... Can't wait to see how it all falls into place.. We are a bit skeptical to all the attention from reading all the past responses on this web site..there have been Junior Day invites and personal invites(un-official, of course) from quite a few of them and personal written notes as well...We will just have to sit patiently and see what transpires on July 1st.
We feel like Pinchmetwice here. It's hard to tell who is really interested until July 1.The kid's getting several letters a week and even some new ones. He calls some of the coaches and they seem to know who he is. He also maintains e-mail contact with quite a few. His season is going well and some excellent schools seem interested. We're going to take the wait and see approach. Never been through this before, but it's pretty neat.
Does anyone know when admissions offices should be contacted, he's looking at several different D-1s.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.