Skip to main content

Son went back to school today and Coach gave him mail that arrived while he was on break. Included was an invitation to these 2006 Midwest Region Top Prospect Games at John Logan College and again at Kankakee JC in June. They are sponsored by Diamond Sports Promotions/Mike Van Horn. Does anyone know anything about these showcases?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fastball, and uppercut my son received an invite to this event also. It's far from a Perfect Game Showcase invite, but it's a baseball type clinic/camp evaluation. I would have to know the number of players that were invited. Mike VanHorn's a good guy, and used to be an employee and tournament director at the LumberYard. I think he's a birddog or area rep in Kankakee. No mention of him being a scout on the Atlanta Braves employee list. Now there's a word that gets thrown around way to much "scout" If I get anymore future info on this event I'll pass it along.
I have worked at the one at Logan in the past and probably will this year also. Mike is not as Braves scout that I know of however there will be one there from our area. We did the basic evaluations 60 time, OF velocity, IF velocity, pitcher velocity, and all of the kids hit with wood bats. After that all of the players played in some games and got evaluated in that as well. If there are any other questions let me know. Mike is a good guy and has done several camps and tournaments in our area.
I know it said area scout on the paper work. I'm just trying to inform people how the process works. If anyone gets more info on this event please advise. I think almost every Freshman baseball player probably received this invite. Reggies, each major league team should have a scouting list available for their scout teams on their official website.
quote:
All official scouts that are associated with a certain major league team are listed on their website. If they're not listed on the site, then they're not employed by the team.

VERY, VERY untrue!

I don't know the validity of Mr. Van Horn's credentials but your comment is very misleading regarding scouts and websites.

Usually only the Scouting Director and some of the other high level guys (international director, etc) but area scouts and cross checkers are rarely (if ever) listed.
sulltiger stated that VanHorn lists himself as an Associate Scout. That is an unpaid position, also known as a "bird dog" as someone else stated. I am friends with another Associate Scout for the Atlanta Braves here in Bloomington-Normal. My friend makes his money as a very popular private coach giving lessons here in the Twin Cities, as well as coaching Junior High, High School and College summer teams. All three of my nephews have been on school teams or summer teams he has helped coach. As for Mr. VanHorn, my guess is that he loves the game of baseball and finds ways to stay involved in the sport, both for the love of the game and to earn some income. My understanding is that an Associate Scout usually gets his expenses paid to help an Area Scout find or watch players within his territory. Some Area Scouts territories can be quite large.
CentralIL, that's correct. An area scout or birddog is much different than a payed official scout. Blazer, your correct. I was stating top scouts that are employed by the organization are listed on their site. Area scouts and or so called birddogs aren't listed. You guys are right on, and completely correct on your statements. I was just trying to make the post that the word "scout" is used often in cases where it shouln't be. The diffence between a scout and a birddog is what I was trying to explain. I'm sure if VanHorn says he's an area scout, then I'm sure he is. Probably does a nice job.
If my intentions for posting were misunderstood, I apologize. In no way did I intend to question Mr. Vanhorn's integrity or qualifications. I don't know the man. It appears to me, from what others have said about his involvement in the sport, he loves the game. To me, thats most important. My sole intention was to try to clarify the difference between an Associate scout and an Area scout. Nothing wrong with being an Associate scout and telling others that you are. If I said anything to upset anyone, I APOLOGIZE. It seems to me that the best info on any particular showcase or camp would come from those that have attended in the past.
To everyone concerned about the Midwest Region Top Prospect Games and the credentials of Mike Vanhorn, I am here to clarify all questions of validity of the program and credentials.
Mike VAnhorn is a former high school baseball coach and asst. in a junior college. He is an ASSOCIATE SCOUT under Stu Cann of the Atlanta Braves and has been for the past six years. He previously was an associate scout with the San Diego Padres under Rich Hacker who was also the 3b coach for the St. Louis Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays.
Vanhorn was an employee of theLumber Yard for three years and chose to leave that position over philosophical differences with the owners.He then developed DIAMOND SPORTS PROMOTIONS with the assistance of several scouts and college coaches who wanted to make their "recruiting" a little easier. Vanhorn puts on several tourneys during the summer on college campus' (John Logan College, SIU-C, Illinois State,Ill. Wesleyan, Kankakee Comm. College and the new Riverhawk minor league stadium in Rockford, Illinois.
The purpose of the Midwest Top Prospect Games was to invite SEVERAL Juniors to the games who have been recommended by coaches, scouts, fans, travel coaches with a few SOPHOMORE AND FROSH. STANDOUTS.
38 Freshman and Sophomores were mailed letters in December, and 125 Juniors were mailed letters prior to the vacation. We are hoping to get at least 75 players at each site this year. More invitations will be sent out after the original letters come in--- all based on names given to us ....
We DO NOT TRY TO GET THE #1 PLAYERS in each district. Our emphasis is on the Division I players but more then likely we will attract the Division II, III, and JUCO candidates. We are NOT PERFECT GAME, nor do we try to be. We mail out letters to 2 colleges of the kids choices their results of the games.
Mike Vanhorn being highly known within the coaching ranks at the collegiate level and the scouting ranks...He has access to over 104 MAJOR LEAGUE AREA SCOUTS and they are all notified of his events...He emails and writes over 200 colleges for his events.. His major emphasis is that there is a place for every kid to play baseball at the college level if he wants to play but they all can't play at the DIVISION I level and very few play PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL.
HIS services are paid for through the entry fees and tourney entry fees and he pays all of his college coaches, high school coaches and former pro players who work his events. He makes sure there are scouts who attend the events.
I am quite sure he would welcome any phone calls or emails with any questions. It is not for the CHESS TEAM; But if the coaches in certain areas do not give out names; a public announcement is open the first year to draw the attention of some of the players.
Hopefully this is clarification of what the Midwest Region Top Prospect Games are...any further questions...just call him...
His southern Illinois tourney at siu and Logan have 30 teams in it and his Illinois State tourney has 34 teams in it...His first siu tourney in June has 10 teams in it...must be doing something right for the kids.
Just what is Top Talent..If you have 15 kids on a team- how many of them are top Talent? Does that mean the rest of the kids can't go to college and play baseball because someone doesn't consider them top talent..
The Top Prospect Games are meant for the players who are committed to playing at the next level. It is a chance to be seen, evaluated and told what they need to improve on. It is also a measuring tool of the younger players to see what it takes to be a Division I player.
No other company takes the time to look at the MARGINAL player who might be able to play college baseball.. Diamond Sports does. If the players are all PRO CALIBER...then they won't come to these games. Where in the letter does it say SHOWCASE.... again, the philosophy is there is a place to play baseball if you have some talent and the desire to continue playing.
"No other company takes the time to look at the MARGINAL player...."

And for that you guys should be commended. I am assuming you have something to do with these "meetings", not showcases, although you do not state what your role is. But your tone seems to indicate a major role. Best of luck to you. I'll stick to the PG events.
quote:
Originally posted by bender:
BTW. Just what is a MARGINAL player? If you have 15 kids on a team, just how many of them are "MARGINAL". Just wondering.

I guess if you aren't invited to a Perfect Game event you are marginal...Perfect Game is great and probably the best in the business ...but they always go for the PRO prospects...
In my opinion, only my opinion, kids who do not get the publicity, the recognition and have some talent are considered marginal players.. Some teams have 15 marginal players...Division II, Division III players are marginal ..How many kids get to play division I baseball?
guess we all wished we were the best but we all can't be the best...
Woodly. If you ARE VanHorn, why not just say so? Sounds to me like you are promoting a product.

"Mike VAnhorn is a former high school baseball coach and asst. in a junior college. He is an ASSOCIATE SCOUT under Stu Cann of the Atlanta Braves and has been for the past six years. He previously was an associate scout with the San Diego Padres under Rich Hacker who was also the 3b coach for the St. Louis Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays."

What is all this "he" stuff?
Link copied to your clipboard.