Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is correct the draft will be conducted over 3 days this year.

MLB.com provides "Draft Tracker" on their website with live audio updates of each pick as they happen.

MLB Network (Ch. 213 Direct TV) will televise the first round of the 2009 draft.

The first day of the draft is June 9th at 6pm (EST)
Rounds 1-3 including sandwich / comp rounds

2nd Day June 10th
Rounds 4-30

3rd Day June 11th
Rounds 31-50
Last edited by BigRed
Also very interesting pre-draft reading...

Perfect Game / PGCrosschecker (the largest sponsor of our site, which means they keep the HS Baseball Web free for all of you to enjoy), has a lot of good write-ups on the top prospects in this year's draft:

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/...le.aspx?article=1494

They have just posted in-depth scouting reports on all the top prospects for the 2009 draft, most of whom they have seen play many times. Great stuff!

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
quote:
Originally posted by plash3:
Hey 316sports,
I like your site but was wondering how come you didn't list any players/pitchers from th ACBL? I was at 2 games yesterday but games actually started late last week.

Trust me, I wish I could cover them more than I do. The ACBL and the Cal Ripken League specifically don't put out timely boxscores, which makes my job quite difficult.
I'm not sure about the ACBL league in general but I can speak for the Kutztown Rockies. I attended their twin bill in Peekskill Ny. and by the time I made the 3 hour drive home the stats were posted. I do realize you got an extremly difficult job but I also think it's well worth. From what I see so far you do a real nice job. I look forward to much enjoyment following this site for the next several months.
Listening to live draft.Taking notes: things discussed for those who miss

1. Sign ability
2.Have to be able to hit bottom line
3.Pitcher rich draft
4.Hit to all fields
5. cold weather players are looked at to have more upside sometimes
6.Like players from strong programs
7. Like players that have made it to playoffs and know how to win
8.mentally and physicaly ready
9. MLB body type right
10. Physically not being ready to go out
Thats so far what I have been hearing talked about
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
He was #4 overall. pretty sweet . I am finding watching this very interesting. Can learn a lot about how everthing comes together when these teams are choosing. I have never watched before and I am enjoying this.

Junior faced Sanchez weekend before last in the Austin Regional...Sanchez went 1 for 3 against him with 1 K and 1 double. He's a big, strong, kid.
I understand why not...

...but this I know...

...If it were my kid and I knew he was going in the first round...and they offered...we would be there...with Bells and Whistles...and we'd jump and cry and and provide all the excitement they would want...

...MLB are you listening? We'll take the red eye...can be there by the opening bell tomorrow...

Last edited by observer44
My son's long time little league and youth ball teammate, Trayce Thompson, went in the second round. This kid was always a world beater, his dad was the #1 pick in the 1979 NBA draft.

We were a pretty good little league ballclub! When my son and Trayce were 11, there were two other kids on the team who ended up playing D1 college sports. Some good athletes on that team,
quote:
Originally posted by plash3:
I agree it's nice being able to watch draft unfold live. Best part IMO was watching the reaction of the kid and family from Millville N.J. That's what it's all about. I think it's pretty sad that we had to wait till 25/26? pick to see this interaction from those players that this day is all about.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer kid. (and a very good player)

Mike is a year younger than my son however they played against each other in high school and were part of the same summer program.

I have to give props to the kid and his family for sweating it out with the baseball world watching. It could have been a little awkward if the Angles didn't pull the trigger however I think he had a pretty good idea it was going to happen.

Congratulations Mike!!!!
Congrats to Mike Trout and his family. Son's high school team played him twice this year, the kid can hit and fly. Fastest player I have ever seen.
I had a lump in my throat watching him and his family beaming. I think after watching that last night more players and families will accept the invitations in the years to come.

This year Trout, last year jerseyson and many others respresenting New Jersey very well.
We've come a long way baby!!
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
Listening to live draft.Taking notes: things discussed for those who miss

1. Sign ability
2.Have to be able to hit bottom line
3.Pitcher rich draft
4.Hit to all fields
5. cold weather players are looked at to have more upside sometimes
6.Like players from strong programs
7. Like players that have made it to playoffs and know how to win
8.mentally and physicaly ready
9. MLB body type right
10. Physically not being ready to go out
Thats so far what I have been hearing talked about

fanofgame,
Agree, not sure if it falls under #8 but Makeup was mentioned numerous time by John Hart and the guy to his left (might have been a scout). Makeup was a factor on almost every first round pick.

I've read that here alot and believed it but last night it came from the horse's mouth.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.