Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There is a lot of rumblings up here in the Fox Valley regarding 2009 players, some notables, and what schools are courting them:

Jerad Grundy, Johnsburg: Miami (FL), UNC, Florida St., Wisconsin
Nolan Jacoby, Prairie Ridge: Illinois, Illinois State, UIC, Indiana, Air Force
Will Mack, Prairie Ridge: NIU, Bucknell, SIU
Craig Lipp, Huntley: South Car., Coastal Carolina, Illinois, Ohio State
Kurt Schmidt, Grayslake Central: Michigan, Illinois State
Ian Gardeck, CL South: Vanderbilt, North Carolina State, UIC, Georgia Southern
RRF8....who are the other guys in the FVC that you think might be D-1 picks? What about Tanner Funke from Huntley? fvcfan08 you are off on some of your schools for Gardeck and Schmidt. Schools interested in Gardeck are: Valpo, Butler, Eastern Illinois, UIC and for Schmidt: Valpo, Yale, & Central Michigan. Both are very good players and should have a commitment some time soon.
quote:
Originally posted by theGLOVE12:
Not trying to start anything, but do you guys really think you should be stating what schools certain kids are interested in and who they have offers from? I think that is their business...especially if the information isn't completely true.

If the information is true, what different does it make? I think most of these guys are just trying to talk about guys in their area that they are proud of. I know that's what I am thinking. I know that my info. is true because I have contact with these players. I wish them all the best of luck; it's a very exciting time for them. Ulitmately it's up to the guys to make their decision on what school fits them the best.
I'm not saying it's wrong to be proud of the kids in your area. I'm saying its wrong if someone posts that this kid is interested in these schools and someone else posts no that is not true and they are interested in these schools.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChiSox6:
RRF8....who are the other guys in the FVC that you think might be D-1 picks? What about Tanner Funke from Huntley? fvcfan08 you are off on some of your schools for Gardeck and Schmidt. Schools interested in Gardeck are: Valpo, Butler, Eastern Illinois, UIC and for Schmidt: Valpo, Yale, & Central Michigan. Both are very good players and should have a commitment some time soon.[/QUOTE

I think it's great everyone wants to share info because they are happy for their friends/friends' kids, but if the information is not 100% correct then that is just controversy in the making.
This is a message board, not a courtroom. This is about what people hear, maybe they heard from the kid or someone who knows the kid and they are posting on it. Maybe they are dead wrong on where the kid is going, who cares. They are stating opinions and telling you what they are hearing. Nothing is facts until the kid signs on the dotted line and then it's still not fact because they can back out. You guys get too caught up in saying that nobody can mention anything unless they know 100%, well guess what, nobody is going to know 100% that's the beauty of a chat room type of forum. Give it a break with trying to discredit everyone or say they are out of line cause they aren't.

Thought Nelson from Cary was only going into his junior year. Cary has alot of talent. Fox Valley does have some very good players in it this year.
Nails, In this case I'll have to respectfully disagree. Postings of rumors, maybe's and the like don't belong here. They belong on an AOL chat room. This site, as is stated in it's mission statement is for the sharing of ideas and experiences to help aid the player and parent during their HS playing experience and up until college.

This site was constructed, for example, to aid HS age players on how to try and make their HS team, showcase listings, info on college recruiting and more. While I've been guilty of not following these directives, so have many others. Personal attacks have become the norm,and I've had my share of garbage thrown my way. But, that's wrong regardless of how strongly one feels about his opinion. If you can't stomach another persons opinions, and then lash out in public, vs. using the PM feature, that would be frowned upon by the founder of HSBW, and the current owner.

It is just about using common sense. JMO.
Last edited by itsrosy
I think it's great everyone wants to share info because they are happy for their friends/friends' kids, but if the information is not 100% correct then that is just controversy in the making.[/QUOTE]

I am a coach in the area and have credible information about these guys. I would agree Nelsen, Bruns, and Brown will go play somewhere. GLC also has 2 very good pitchers. I like the 2B from South, Vasquez. Lots of talent in the FVC for 2009, it will be another fun season coaching against these guys.
Itrosy,
I get where your coming from but like all things, they evolve. Espn is airing high school football games, there's internet postings and rankings of the best high school players and teams in the country, the kids are playing under lights, the Aflac game is on TV, the draft is now on TV. More and more these high school kids are being evaluated and treated like college guys, they need to mature and grow up fast because it's not going away it's just getting bigger. They go to showcases and perfect game stuff, they tryout for elite travel teams and their own travel teams and while it is a ton of positive stuff, there is also the negative stuff and critcism that comes with everything being so public. So people having opinions and having access to know more and more about these kids is going to continue to be around. I just think they better get used to it.
quote:
Originally posted by Nails:
Itrosy,
I get where your coming from but like all things, they evolve. Espn is airing high school football games, there's internet postings and rankings of the best high school players and teams in the country, the kids are playing under lights, the Aflac game is on TV, the draft is now on TV. More and more these high school kids are being evaluated and treated like college guys, they need to mature and grow up fast because it's not going away it's just getting bigger. They go to showcases and perfect game stuff, they tryout for elite travel teams and their own travel teams and while it is a ton of positive stuff, there is also the negative stuff and critcism that comes with everything being so public. So people having opinions and having access to know more and more about these kids is going to continue to be around. I just think they better get used to it.

Nails - please read, re-read, and read again what rosy said because he is 100% correct. If you want people to get used to criticism, then go to another site that supports criticism. We don't criticize amateur ballplayers on this site. I know we have posted that dozens of times before on this forum. The pettiness on this forum is getting very old. We are tired of baby sitting people who don't get what we are all about. Play nice or don't visit here anymore. We are not about evolving or seeing things from your point of view. We are about helping young ballplayers reach the next level.
First of all go read my posts and let me know where I ever criticized a player. I am just saying they better start getting used to it, especially in this business. Because if you can't take constructive criticism then your in for a tough road. I hope the kid from Northside prep that everyone is saying is under the radar gets a few more looks from sites like this.

On a side note, i must be confusing Nelson with the gonna be a junior shortstop at Cary, he's a pretty good player. Cary is loaded this year and I am sure they will have a solid year. Lots of good competition in that area.
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:
Itrosy,

Nails - please read, re-read, and read again what rosy said because he is 100% correct. If you want people to get used to criticism, then go to another site that supports criticism. We don't criticize amateur ballplayers on this site. I know we have posted that dozens of times before on this forum. The pettiness on this forum is getting very old. We are tired of baby sitting people who don't get what we are all about. Play nice or don't visit here anymore. We are not about evolving or seeing things from your point of view. We are about helping young ballplayers reach the next level.

ALL WOULD DO WELL TO READ BOTH ITSROSY AND CLEVELANDDAD'S POSTS ON THIS TOPIC. No, Nails, on this site, we won't have to get used to it. Nails, you are a person that has high opinions of your opinions. I guess there is a place for that. However, the opinions of those that have moderated this site, created this site and own this site are the only opinions that count when it comes to content. This is a public site only in the sense that you are allowed to post. Those rights for any member can be taken away should that poster violate the intent of this site and the wishes of the owner, and/or those items stated in the Board Manners. This is ot a "flaming board." I believe this is the second time I've mentioned that to you. We won't attack kids on this site and so, they won't have to get used to it. NUFF said!
Last edited by CoachB25
please stop singling me out. All i am doing is sticking up for people to have opinions. Do me a favor and go read and re-read all my posts and show me where I bash a kid? Once you do that then you can get on me about that. But in the mean time I am just sticking up for other people having an opportunity to give their opinions. I don't agree with alot of opinions on here but you don't see me threatening and trying to regulate people. I let them have their opinions. So I ask you to get the facts straight, i have done nothing but give opinions and talk about kids i know or seen. If you can find me somewhere I bashed a kid i'd be happy to apologize and happy to listen to you tell me I am using this as a flaming board, but I don't so focus on other people please.
not sure what exactly that means but I am not on here attacking other people with opinions. Sorry you think that because I just like trying to talk baseball. If someone doesn't agree with me I try to see their side of things, either way I don't really get to worked up about it like some of you do on here. Do they get rings for winning summer state or just a trophy? I sure you can answer that one for me.
what exactly are you talking about? I heard that and asked the question and clearly stated that I wasn't 100% sure of it. You are telling me you know the situation and he didn't play for them or wasn't even asked. Why do you continue to try to critcize me? Where you going with this, what exactly did I do wrong? You guys are like a fraternity or something. So did you get rings? And I do know what I am talking about on alot of topics whether you believe me or not is not my concern. Can't we have normal conversations.
Just one man's opinion.

For those who have issues with Nails posts, why not ignore them, instead of posting personal attacks and criticism? He's asked some questions that don't get answered. That's OK on both sides. It reminds me of a political race, answering a question with another question!

Nails, instead of beating a dead horse, try moving on to another topic.
quote:
This is a message board, not a courtroom. This is about what people hear, maybe they heard from the kid or someone who knows the kid and they are posting on it. Maybe they are dead wrong on where the kid is going, who cares. They are stating opinions and telling you what they are hearing. Nothing is facts until the kid signs on the dotted line and then it's still not fact because they can back out. You guys get too caught up in saying that nobody can mention anything unless they know 100%, well guess what, nobody is going to know 100% that's the beauty of a chat room type of forum. Give it a break with trying to discredit everyone or say they are out of line cause they aren't.

Thought Nelson from Cary was only going into his junior year. Cary has alot of talent. Fox Valley does have some very good players in it this year.

Nails, my reference was to "All" and only referenced you in one portion of my previous post. However, things that you suggest are innocent such as the rumors of where a player is going to go without published articles or verifiable sources can do a lot of damage. Moderators and MN-Mom constantly get upset parents contacting us about those that spread these rumors and believe that their son will be moved down in priority by those schools the player really wants to attend. I could reference a parent that requested a phone call from me about the comments about one young man who was mentioned on this site with the remarks, "he'll never amount to anything" and "he's fat." That poster has been disciplined because they failed to follow the Board Manners. Another member (Old Timer) has also been disciplined recently. It isn't about you. People do read this site. Therefore, if a poster is "dead wrong" (Your words)and constantly doing this, they will be removed since it does harm to a player. Most posters have conflicts at one time or another. That is typical of people coming from such diverse backgrounds. Moderators such as myself then have to make sure that the main objective of this site is protected. It is that simple.
Last edited by CoachB25
I'm sorry I brought anything up, by the way, I really believe Cary-Grove can be the Prairie Ridge of 2009, they are going to have a great lineup. Some notables, all started in some capacity last season as either sophomores or juniors:

C- Luke Mottashed, prospective D1 player
SS- Chris Waylock, he's only going to be a junior, and I've always said, if there was a Gold Glove award given out in the FVC, he would win it for sure
3B- Matt Nelsen, prospective D1 player, also a good pitcher
CF- Keegan Mascarella, good power, maybe a D1 player, def a D2 or D3 prospect
RF- Nick Hammonds, great arm, great defense, should have a breakout year offensively
P- Corey Bruns, can also play 3B, throws around 90 MPH
I think that I want to rephrase my previous comment, as it is too early to state who the best pitching staff will be for next year. Some kids can work very hard and grow in the off season, which would be a big help to their team's success. Look at the strides made by Heesch and Gardeck from 2007 to 2008.
I believe that Cary will probably have the best overall team next year, but their are several D1 potential pitchers in the conference who are capable of shutting them down in the playoffs. They could end up being one and done just like this year. I believe Johnsburg, CLC, Huntley, CLS all have pitching that could give Cary a hard time in a playoff game.
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Diggle:
Congrats to Fieldcrest's Lee Weld (also of the Fox Valley Royals, Illinois Valley Knights and -- for the Fall season -- Central Illinois Outlaws), who accepted SIU's scholarship offer today. A great kid and a heck of a competitor. And not bad on the mound either. He's 21-1 over three years on the varsity.

After getting to know him this summer, I'd have to say your description is spot on.

Congratulations to Lee.
quote:
Originally posted by J.Weaver #5:
quote:
Congrats to Fieldcrest's Lee Weld (also of the Fox Valley Royals, Illinois Valley Knights and -- for the Fall season -- Central Illinois Outlaws), who accepted SIU's scholarship offer today. A great kid and a heck of a competitor. And not bad on the mound either. He's 21-1 over three years on the varsity.

After getting to know him this summer, I'd have to say your description is spot on.

Congratulations to Lee.

Yup, uh huh, that's right...Lee is one heck of a player. SIU gets a good one, here.

Congrats, Lee and family from Traveldad and #16

Weaver #5,
Any confirmed news on the other boys from the FV stable?
quote:
Originally posted by Traveldad:
quote:
Originally posted by J.Weaver #5:
quote:

Congratulations to Lee.

Yup, uh huh, that's right...Lee is one heck of a player. SIU gets a good one, here.

Congrats, Lee and family from Traveldad and #16

Weaver #5,
Any confirmed news on the other boys from the FV stable?

None that I know of. I'm trying to find out what's going on with the Mistrata twins. Mike should be deciding soon enough.
Last edited by J.Weaver #5
I was at the TPX TOP 96 showcase and for the 2nd time, saw a catcher by the name of Brian Norwood. In 3 innings he threw out 5 baserunners. Defensively, this kid has a strong arm, quick feet, and nothing gets by him. I don't know what High School he goes to, but he played for the Upstate 8 conference at the Stevenson Showcase. Does anyone know what school he goes to?
quote:
Originally posted by leatherhead2:
I was at the TPX TOP 96 showcase and for the 2nd time, saw a catcher by the name of Brian Norwood. In 3 innings he threw out 5 baserunners. Defensively, this kid has a strong arm, quick feet, and nothing gets by him. I don't know what High School he goes to, but he played for the Upstate 8 conference at the Stevenson Showcase. Does anyone know what school he goes to?

Brian attends Lake Park HS
As you all know, Ian Krol is the only Illinois player in the AFLAC All-American game and one of few in the participants from ILL. in the Area Code games. And now he can add another something to his resume. Krol is the only Illinois player playing in the Under Armour game at Wrigley Field later this month. Congrats Ian! This just puts him more on the map for the draft in June. But as far as college commitments go, I heard a rumor recently regarding joint commitments. Something about Krol and teammate, RHP Mike McKinely, verbally saying that they were headed to the same college. Not gonna say what college, just that this was interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by DiamondFan:
CPLZ................What's not true?

Nails quote that "Seems like they will find you somehow if your good." Is not true.

It is true that they may find you, not true that they will find you. Advocating a, sit back and let the offers come if you are good enough, strategy is simply foolish. I have some experience on the subject.
Like you guys like to do, you take bits and pieces of what's said and try to "create" the meaning. I see on here where people preach travel ball, preach showcases, etc etc. I read how people are saying it's not true that if your good people will find you...........I am stating an example in this case where this player didn't play big time travel ball and he got a D1 offer, I can name you about 15 more over the last few years. I am not saying travel ball is not a great idea to be seen, I am saying it's not the be all end all to being recreuted. I believe if your good and you continue to work you will get noticed............do kids fall through the cracks, sure. but if they keep at it they eventually find their way onto a college baseball team. There's many people that believe going to showcase after showcase or paying to play on the best travel team is going to guarantee you get seen and go D1. That's simply not the case, it's still all up to the kid and his talent as a baseball player. Who'd Brett Kay play for this summer? A legion team. How many big time showcases did he go to? If you have talent, there's a good chance you will be found. My point was showcases and travel ball, while being very rewarding, aren't the be all end all to getting recreuted.
OF/1B Angelo Burrage (St.Rita) has committed to play baseball at Illinois State.

The ISU Redbirds are putting together a really good class of 2009 (for spring 2010):

SS/2B Brett Kay- St.Viator
OF Blair Springfield- MacArthur
RHP Brad Sorkin- Stevenson
OF Ty Wiesenmeyer- Heartland CC
OF Burrage- St.Rita

My guess is they will get another two or three players. New associate head coach and lead recruiter, Mark Kingston, formely of Tulane, has done a great job in the 20 or so days that he has been on the job.
Last edited by fvcfan08
Here are some of my suggestions that I tell my players (Juniors) when it comes to recruiting:

1) Promote himself - I give the player a copy of a sample profile sheet and cover letter - I would have the player definitely utilize this by e-mailing college coaches to get his name out there. I would target schools the following schools - D1 (If they are able to play there), D2, NAIA, and JUCO's - (Try to target schools that have a strong academic field in the area that the player wants to study) Stay away from Division III schools right now - most of them are very expensive - No scholarships and you can use them as a last resort - They will always be there in the end)

2) I will also promote him as well once he targets the schools that he is interested in and then I will prep him up to those respective schools (Follow up e-mails/phone calls)

3) Spring season - Have another outstanding season and then get selected for the Stevenson Showcase - This will equal more exposure for him.

4) Summer season - Play summer league games during the week with the High School and then play for a travel team for exposure on the weekends - Make sure that the travel team has a good track record and they play at some prestigious events that will help him get more exposure - EXPOSURE,EXPOSURE,EXPOSURE is the name of the game - I don't want to say that it will turn into a scholarship/partial one but it will put him in a position to be seen a lot more. If it is something that your family can afford, then he will be practicing all winter long and he will be better prepared for the spring/summer.

5) Camps - This is my advice on camps - Let's say the player is interested in a school, they will send a questionnaire back and after the player has filled it out, then they will send something back about their winter/summer camp - The problem with this is that only one school is evaluating the player and no one else - The camps are generally expensive and it is a money maker for the assistant coaches. If the player is interested in attending a Showcase camp, then he should attend one where there are 40 or 50 schools there, then I think that it is a good thing since he is showcasing his talents for 40 to 50 schools - Once again EXPOSURE.

So basically it takes a lot of patience and you will have to go through this fun process but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. All you have to do is produce on the field, promote yourself, establish a relationship with the coach/asst. coach, and then gain exposure by sending them a video, getting them to come up to watch you play, or playing with your travel team and let them know where you are playing for them to come and see.

You don't need a recruiting service - These are my two cents worth - Hopefully this helps and if anybody else has any other suggestions to add, that would be great!!!
quote:
Originally posted by fvcfan08:

The ISU Redbirds are putting together a really good class of 2009 (for spring 2010):

OF/3B Ty Wiesenmeyer- Heartland CC

Ty Wiesemeyer is one of my former players and if he's playing 3b, ... He's left handed. If some of you have not seen him play, he's a load! He is a hard charger that only knows one way to play. Good luck TY!
quote:
Like you guys like to do, you take bits and pieces of what's said and try to "create" the meaning.

I didn't take a bit or a piece, that's revisionist history. I used a whole sentence, it is wrong, and you got called on it.

quote:
Seems like they will find you somehow if your good.
No interpretation needed, the meaning is crystal clear.

There is no reason to advocate your position. If you don't want your kid to attend showcases or play travel ball, then don't. It's not your job to come on here and show the rest of us your enlightened path.
Last edited by CPLZ
what enlightened path is that? that you don't have to go to 100 showcases or play travel ball to be noticed? 3-6-3 made some great points, would you say he was giving us his enlightened path? Funny to me how someone can make a blanket statement and people think it's directed at them. I am a big fan of travel ball, i think it's very important in the summer and the competition is alot better than HS summer season. But I gave 2 examples of kids that worked hard, played well in HS, and some showcases that they attended and got noticed. My point originally was, if your good there's a good chance you will be found one way or another.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.