Skip to main content

2009 WWBA Underclass World Championship in Ft. Myers in Oct.

At the point that this showcase takes place, I will be a Junior. This is obviously the best time to go to an underclass showcase. I'm leaning towards doing this, I just wanted to start a discussion as to any info.
--------------- 2011, RHP
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good question.

First of all, many teams need fill-ins for a tournament like this one. It's easiest if you're a front line pitcher, because there are always people looking to add pitching depth. But it's not unusual for a team to have a kid get injured, or playing football or whatever, and need to pick up a guy. You have to do your homework on the team to make sure that there will indeed be playing time if you take the time and spend the money to go. If you call Perfect Game, they are remarkably helpful in serving as a sort of match maker between teams looking for guys and guys looking for teams.

I have also wondered if PG will ever add PG squads to Ft. Myers, as they have for Jupiter. With recruiting commitments being made earlier and earlier, to me the Ft. Myers event is going to continue to grow in stature year to year. How 'bout this year, Jerry?
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:

Not a bad idea Midlo, really the scouting interest in this tournament has greatly increased each year. At one time it was just us and several agents, now it gets a lot of schools. Most colleges are now working a year ahead of where they used to.

Jerry, if I may. This is a great testament to PG for what they've done for the countless high school kids who have dreams of playing baseball on a higher level. Thanks from all of us!
My son Miles Sanderson, Sr. C, RH, RB, 180, Shawnee Mission East High, Prairie Village, KS, played for the Royal's Scout Team, October, 2008 in WWBA World Championship in Jupiter, FL. The PG experience was far and away one of the best experiences he's had playing baseball. Everywhere you turned there were scouts from all levels of baseball. I suggest attending as many local area showcases as you can. For Miles, it was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Also playing hard, ALL the time doesn't hurt either. I've also seen posts on pgcrosschecker.com by players trying to hook-up with teams planning to attend a PG event, such as the WWBA World Championship. Hope this helps! Sandy_44
Another way to fine a team--besides the help wanted section here--would be to look at teams that were there last year and contact them. Many teams need players, and at these things it isnt about the quantity of playing time, but the quality of playing time. We went all the way to Jupiter from the Northeast, son played one game (pitcher), and it was the best investment we ever make of any sort. Find a way to get to the bigger PG events, you and your player will be missing out if you dont.
My son will be attending the tourney and he is overly enthusiastic. He is only 15 but is going with a solid group of kids from his summer team as well as a few from the 2009 U16 kids in his organization. They will be the Phoenix Bat Company sponsored team. They are with the Ohio Elite Baseball out of Columbus, Ohio during their summer days.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.