Skip to main content

Congratulations Coach Merc on your son earning that SS position!

My guy got off to a slow start yesterday hitting into fielders choices and groundouts before finally connecting during his 5th at bat for a stand up triple. The early season is wonderful since dramatic swings in average can occur so quickly. Today he was 4 for 5 with 2 singles a triple and a HR. So I guess we are off to a good start afterall...
Last edited by floridafan
Hey YoungGunDad,

My guy plays for Polk State College out of Winter Haven. He will play the majority of his games at 2nd, but is slated to start on the mound next Wednesday.

That is great that Gulf Coast CC has their games on line! No such luck with Polk or any of the other Florida JUCO's I am aware of.

Does your season open with Wallace in 2 weeks or has your season begun already?
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Look, I am having fun getting the juices flowing by showing pictures from years past!

Everyone has a digital camera these days, hopefully people can share 2010 pictures as well.

Here is one from 2007 at Clemson. It looks to me that Marquez Smith is out by a mile and who ever hit a ground ball was also about ready to get out. Smith was an 8th rounder in 2007 and he is now in AA ball.
quote:

Originally posted by floridafan:

Hey YoungGunDad,

My guy plays for Polk State College out of Winter Haven. He will play the majority of his games at 2nd, but is slated to start on the mound next Wednesday.

That is great that Gulf Coast CC has their games on line! No such luck with Polk or any of the other Florida JUCO's I am aware of.

Does your season open with Wallace in 2 weeks or has your season begun already?

His season starts in 2 weeks against Wallace State at Wallace State. 1 on friday and 2 on Saturday.

The announcer on the livestream webcast stated today that Gulf Coast was down to 17 players due to ineligibility issues, and lots of injuries. Wow. That's gotta be hard.

If you want to watch (and I mean watch, not listen) below is the link to Gulf Coasts First Pitch Classic tournament going on this weekend at their field. I know Young Harris, Ga is playing either Gulf Coast or St Pete tomorrow for the Championship. I'm not a betting man but I'd bet that YH will throw Jake Montgomery (#53 JUCO Top Prospect) and if they face St. Pete they should face Austin Wood (#3 JUCO Top Prospect) who peaked at 97mph this fall. Jake Montgomery signed with UGA out of HS and attend there this fall but transferred to YH at the break. Austin Wood attend FSU last year.

Gulf Coast 1st Pitch Classid

Go to PSB Live on the game you want to watch and click on it. Remember, these games are central time.
Last edited by YoungGunDad
Well 17 is no longer 17 - new number 29 as a frosh at local D2.

Really agree with the waiting on media guide story as that is what we have been waiting for -- but son got his role from head coach after final scrimmage yesterday.

He is all pumped to be taking the field with all jr./sr. team this week. About 60-70% of the team are D1 and JUCO tsfrs. Only 4 freshman.

Time to see if all the hard work will pay off, and we are lucky to be able to see every game.
Last edited by Backstop-17
Backstop-17,

Congrats to your son, that is exciting!

I can change your screen name (display name) for you. (The system doesn't allow members to change their own, because some mischief makers would cause confusion with frequest changes.) Wink

Just send me a PM or email me at hsbaseballweb@comcast.net if you do want to change it.

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
CD, I just love the photos from last season and years past. You are right, it really does get the excitement pumping for the upcoming season!

Looks like I will be taking a trip to watch some baseball, courtesy of our wonderful members. Smile I'm debating whether to head for MLB Spring Training in Ft. Myers, FL in mid-March, or try to find a city where I could see several members' sons college teams within a few days.

I will try to put together a list of the schedules for as many member sons as possible...

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Good news from Alabama!
Freshman son played in his first 2 spring scrimmages, both 8 inning games.
The first day playing outfield, he was 1 for 2 with a double, walk, 2 stolen bases, and 1 run scored.
Today, leading 5 to 4, he closed the last 2 innings giving up 1 hit and no runs scored to earn the save.
Next Saturday is fan day with an 8 inning scrimmage and he is scheduled to play 4 innings in the outfield and pitch the last 2 innings, you can bet our family will be making the trip to Tuscaloosa.
Great news Clint, nice to be able to play a position and then come in to close as well! It doesn't get much better than that! Hopefully all this rain will push through and you will have great weather for your game saturday!

We are getting drenched today! I was looking forward to my guy playing at the local JUCO today (he attends a out of town JUCO) and being able to invite some friends to a local game in the afternoon, but its been raining all through the night.

On the plus side it is going to push his start on the mound forward by a game so that he may end up pitching against his former team, and against a old HS friend that was drafted last year. It will be a fun match up with some scouts in attendence.

The last time they faced each other was in HS in their Sophomore year, each pitching a complete game with our team losing late with a 1-0 score. Should be fun if my sons' coach allows it to happen, he is sensitive about pitching him against his former team from last year.
Ahhh...this time last year, I was pretty much a nervous wreck...not knowing whether my boy would get 20 or 200 ab's, if/when/where he would play...if/when/where we would go to see him play. What a major blast it was...this year, not quite as nervous...but still very excited...and planning to see more, hopefully. Wink
LOL DaddyBo!

My guy got his first start on the mound since his Junior year in HS tonight against the runner up team from this past years JUCO World Series. He ended up going 6 innings giving up 4 hits and 1 run with about 10K's and got the win.

He actually ended up pitching against a pitcher from Ocala (different from the one I alluded to in an earlier post) which was enjoyable in and of itself, he played with and against him way back when he was in Little League!

Lots of scouts in attendance, and fun had by all! (almost all Wink)
Okay, just back from the first weekend series. Backstop got the 2nd and 3rd game start behind the dish.

We swept the series.

Most important for the confidence of the freshman catcher - his first collegiate hit was, in the words of the school website:

"The offensive onslaught continued with a towering two run homer from "Backstop" that put the "college team" at a comfortable 9-4 lead in the top of the fifth."

Someone was grinning in the stands. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Backstop-17:
Okay, just back from the first weekend series. Backstop got the 2nd and 3rd game start behind the dish.

We swept the series.

Most important for the confidence of the freshman catcher - his first collegiate hit was, in the words of the school website:

"The offensive onslaught continued with a towering two run homer from "Backstop" that put the "college team" at a comfortable 9-4 lead in the top of the fifth."

Someone was grinning in the stands. Cool

How cool is that!! Congrats and continued good luck to the Slugger..
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
One week until season starts for D1 baseball.Can not wait.Have the D2 and D3 seasons already started some places? I know D1 is a universal start date.

Yes...We went out to La Jolla last weekend and watched UCSD and Western Oregon go at it. Pretty good baseball, I believe UCSD is currently ranked #3 and Western Oregon was #17 respectively in D2.
quote:
That UCSD and Western Oregon was probably a good game,UCSD went to the college world series last year didnt they? And Western Oregon is always good.

Awesome, cant wait.I would sit in the cold as well.We are in need of a baseball fix for sure.

Yes they did. We only stayed for the first game of the doubleheader on Sunday. UCSD rallied to beat W. Oregon in the bottom of the ninth on a walkoff HBP. We weren't there for the second game, Superbowl was a little more important to us! Smile But UCSD handled them easily in game two, 8-1. Pitching was a little better than I anticipated. The starting pitcher for UCSD didn't throw awfully hard, probably 84-87, but had a nasty changeup. The starting pitcher for Western Oregon was probably touching the low 90's early on, and looked like a legitimate D1 guy, but didn't seem to maintain the velocity and UCSD finally knocked him out. Overall, both teams looked pretty good!

Strangely, each player on Western Oregon wore a wristband (similar to a QB) with offensive & defensive signals on it. I've seen it done for catcher's, but never the entire lineup.
Last edited by bsbl247
quote:
Originally posted by Homerun04:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy03:
quote:
One week until season starts for D1 baseball.Can not wait.Have the D2 and D3 seasons already started some places? I know D1 is a universal start date.

Some D-1's are playing non coference games this week-end.

DI can't until 2/19...

Of course you're right. My mistake. I meant to answer the question regarding D-II and D-III. I am working a non-conference D-111 this afternoon.
Hooray! Son just got his first mound appearance of the young season, closing out Trinity's 15-3 win over Austin College. 2 ground-outs and one K looking. He looked solid and confident. He'll be pleased!

ILVBB's son had another monster game at the plate, going 3-for-3 with one bomb, 3 RBI, and 2 runs scored.

Game 2 starts soon and is webcast if you're craving some live baseball.
Trinity (TX) -vs- Austin College

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.