Skip to main content

According to floridafan JUCO's start tomorrow. This thread is for all levels of college baseball - JUCO, NAIA, D3, D2, and D1. Tell us about anything that comes to mind. Your son's accomplishments, his teammates success, your excitement about things, or first-hand accounts if you are a player. You can post here if things went well or let us know when there were struggles. Either way, post often and all season long!

PS - when someone is aware of the high school season starting anywhere on the continent, please let me know and we'll start a 2010 thread for high school reporting.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yahoo, let the games begin!

ClevelandDad said: "Tell us about anything that comes to mind. Your son's accomplishments, his teammates success, your excitement about things, or first-hand accounts if you are a player."

Or, you can post an invitation for me to come and watch your son play in any game within driving distance of Minneapolis, MN!
Wink

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
A friend of mine left me a message of how his son did in their opening game and that his son's picture is on the NAIA school's web site and accounting of the game:

Concordia University Irvine Baseball News

IRVINE, CA --- It took Concordia's offense 5.1 innings to get its first hit, but when it rained, it poured for the Eagle offense in a soggy 5-1 win over Simpson in both teams' season-opener Tuesday afternoon at Eagle Field.

The Eagles (1-0) picked up their first hit of the day on a bunt single by senior centerfielder Pete Lemone with one out in the sixth, and three of the next four batters followed suit in a three-run frame that gave CUI a 3-1 lead heading into the late innings.

A standout CUI debut from senior left-hander Bennett Whitmore made junior first-baseman Bryan Nicholson's two-run shot in the eighth inning an afterthought, as he went 8.1 innings where he allowed just one earned run on six hits and two walks while striking out seven.

"Bennett Whitmore pitched a great game today," head coach Mike Grahovac said. "He came out and pounded the strike zone all day, and that's just what we needed out of him."

Whitmore's only trouble came in the first two innings, where he surrendered the one run on five hits--two of which came from leadoff hitting centerfielder Jared Jorden, who went 3-for-4 on the day.

Simpson picked up its run in the first when Jorden singled up the middle to lead off the game, stole second and came around to score on a one-out single by Kenny Button to put the Eagles in an early 1-0 hole.

The Redhawks stirred up some two-out trouble in the second, when Shane Battles and Mark Austad--the eighth and ninth place hitters--singled ahead of a base knock from Jorden that loaded the bases.

Whitmore got the next batter, Joshua Corsen, to line out to junior second-baseman Sean Costella to end the threat.

Lemone drew the first of back-to-back walks to lead off the bottom of the first, but junior third-baseman Danny Casey hit into the first of three CUI double-plays to squelch the rally.

Lemone laid a perfect bunt down the third-base line to break up the no-hitter that Simpson starter Joshua Weisse held through 5.1 innings, and junior left-fielder Matt Ivanoff advanced Lemone to third on a hit-and-run to set Casey up with a one-out RBI situation.

Casey's RBI groundout tied the game at 1-1, and Nicholson followed him with a two-out RBI single down the right-field line, then advanced to second on an error by Simpson's right-fielder before touching home on a knock by junior right-fielder Ryan Sheeks to make it a 3-1 lead.

Casey doubled to lead off the bottom of the eighth, and Nicholson followed him with a round-tripper over the right-field fence to make the final score 5-1.

"We started out with a sluggish performance on offense, but started to put things together with some small ball in the sixth," Grahovac said. "It was huge to get Bryan a chance to come up and drive a ball with a man on in the eighth to get some insurance runs, too."

Weisse took the loss for Simpson (0-1), but went 6.1 innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and four walks against three strikeouts.

Nicholson went 2-for-4 with three RBI and two runs to lead the way for CUI.

The game was delayed for about 20 minutes due to rain following the bottom of the third inning, but resumed shortly thereafter.

The Eagles next host Oregon Tech this Friday (Jan. 29), starting at 2 p.m. at Eagle Field.
Last edited by Homerun04
I'll be honest, it is hurting me that my son is no longer in college. We both loved high school baseball and the same goes for college ball. I am thankful his career is continuing in the pros but I would be lying if I said I am not missing college ball big time right now. We both will always be Chanticleer fans and we wish them nothing but the best. They are poised for a big year this year and we are rooting them on to Omaha!

Preseason College Top 25
Yeah there have been a lot of good things posted about Coastal Carolina.I like all I have read about their coach and his philosophies.I hope they do well.
First series Feb 19 at Cal Poly for our guy.We have our rooms booked.Just will be happy to see him in a college uni.
Best of luck to all the boys, at all divisions.This is something that will happen only once in a lifetime for many of our young men.
You want to know what I think of this time of year?

I think of all the parents of freshman. After hanging on every minute of fall ball, listening intently to Junior prognosticate about the team and his role through winter workouts, wondering what the coach thinks of my little guy,

...waiting, waiting, waiting, for the new media guide to come out...waiting

Reading Juniors bio about 800 times, counting down the days until opening day, waiting, waiting, waiting...

...and just about the time you could burst...game time.

That's what I think about this time of year...I remember it well.

Good luck to everyone!
quote:
Originally posted by MN-Mom:

Or, you can post an invitation for me to come and watch your son play in any game within driving distance of Minneapolis, MN!
Wink

Julie

You are hereby invited to watch my youngest son's games - date of your choosing.

You will not have to drive.

I have arranged for Gotwood4sale to chaffeur you - and 2 of your guests - from the great state of Minnesota - to Pembroke, North Carolina.

Unfortunately - Gotwood is charging me so much for this service - that I could not afford to get a hotel room for you and your guests - so you will have to sleep in the car.

Gotwood has gratiously agreed to provide blankets - 3 Snickers bars - and some bottled water as part of the travel package.

Enjoy!!!
quote:
Originally posted by CPLZ:
You want to know what I think of this time of year?

I think of all the parents of freshman. After hanging on every minute of fall ball, listening intently to Junior prognosticate about the team and his role through winter workouts, wondering what the coach thinks of my little guy,

...waiting, waiting, waiting, for the new media guide to come out...waiting

Reading Juniors bio about 800 times, counting down the days until opening day, waiting, waiting, waiting...

...and just about the time you could burst...game time.

That's what I think about this time of year...I remember it well.

Good luck to everyone!

Now you've really got me excited. As a freshman parent, when should I expect my media guide?
its,

Wow, that is the most exciting offer I've had in a long time!

Two guests of my choosing? Well, obviously guest #1 is play baseball, gotwood's lovely and very fun wife. (We ran through the rain together on the day the bridge fell down - does that need further explanation???) Have to think about guest #2. Wait, you said three Snickers bars. I think just the three of us will be enough for this road trip.

Where's the game schedule?

Julie
quote:
Originally posted by RRF8:

Now you've really got me excited. As a freshman parent, when should I expect my media guide?

In Juniors freshman year, we were playing at UTSA in a round robin in San Antonio. The media guide came out online two days before the game, and we were given spiral bound editions sitting in the stands prior to the first game. The asst. coach came out of the dugout with a box and started handing them out...there were only enough for 1 per family of parents.

I was sitting in the stands with 3 Star General Ray Ordierno when he looked over my shoulder and said, "let's read about your son". He's a former Army baseball player...and a pretty neat guy...that was my first media guide.

P.S. Junior had been at West Point since late June after his HS graduation and was now 8 months into his freshman year and taking 22 hours of classes in season when Gen. Ordierno asked, "How is Kirk enjoying West Point?" I replied, "I'm not sure enjoying accurately portrays his experience there sir." The General had a pretty good laugh, and replied, "West Point is a great place to be from".
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
quote:

Originally posted by CPLZ:

"West Point is a great place to be from".

That's the understatement of the decade! A million dollar education and serving our country as young military officers to boot!

Actually, the context in which The General was referring, was that West Point is a better place to be from than to be at. Big Grin I should have explained it better.
quote:
Originally posted by iheartbb:
Seriously Julie,
Maybe you could get a couple of days off....
You would be able to see all kinds of hsbbweb posters sons in uniform all up and down our beautiful Cali Wink

Okay, it might be more than a couple of days....

Ya know what would be cool? If websters all chipped in ten, twenty bucks, and sent Julie to a nice, warm early-season baseball venue, hotel, airfare, the works as thanks for everything she does for all of us around the place!
Last edited by Krakatoa
CPLZ, I loved your freshman recount ( I lived it this year) and the story! WP being a great place to be FROM came through loud and clear.

Krak, set up a paypal account and I will gladly contribute for a warm trip for Julie (how about CWS?)

Today my freshman son called home to tell of how his last two days were. They were great! He is psyched and is as anxious to play ball as we parents are to watch it.

It reminded me of when he was a little kid and was going fishing with his dad, he did not sleep all night long... just kind of sat up in his bed with his fishing vest on and waited for the call to leave.
I will set it up this weekend. Julie, you cannot say NO! Hopefully we can get enough together so you can go enjoy a couple days in the sun watching some ball! You work so hard all year with this, and we all know there are some very stressful times. Please let us treat you!

I will post a separate link with info on how to contribute to the SEND JULIE AWAY fundraiser within 24 hours...
quote:
Originally posted by Krakatoa:

Ya know what would be cool? If websters all chipped in ten, twenty bucks, and sent Julie to a nice, warm early-season baseball venue, hotel, airfare, the works as thanks for everything she does for all of us around the place!

Fargo is nice this time of the year
Hey everybody! For the freshmen parents out there, the excitement and uncertainty is palpable. Even if your son is in the starting lineup right now, you don't know exactly what will happen. For those that are not starters immediately, that is the gig most of the time. Outwork your competition. Out attitude them and you will see your dreams come true.

I was just looking at my son's facebook page and came across this picture. It shows that college baseball is indeed the best of times. This is a picture from my son's last home game last May and there was a ceremony on the field for the seniors. To the far right, my Dad is wearing the white hat but his faced is clipped by the picture. Next follows my oldest son Beau and it is an understatement to say that he has been a challenge for our family. Next is my baseball son Tyler followed by my daughter Shelby. It was 95 degress on this day last May....

Last edited by ClevelandDad
Gonna be a real interesting spring for the Mrs and I. Practice started yesterday for our two boys, Joe a Sr at Maine and Mike a freshman at High Point. Maine was on their field, earliest date ever and High Points opening scrimage was snowed out
Trying to figure that one out.

We have all sorts of trips planned to try and see both. Weekend #2 of the season High Point at Home Fri, Sat, Sun while Maine is at UNC about an hour apart and all the games are at the same time. Go figure.

Mike has been told he is the starting SS so all kinds of crazy emotions flying through the house here.
Congratulations Coach Merc on your son earning that SS position!

My guy got off to a slow start yesterday hitting into fielders choices and groundouts before finally connecting during his 5th at bat for a stand up triple. The early season is wonderful since dramatic swings in average can occur so quickly. Today he was 4 for 5 with 2 singles a triple and a HR. So I guess we are off to a good start afterall...
Last edited by floridafan
Hey YoungGunDad,

My guy plays for Polk State College out of Winter Haven. He will play the majority of his games at 2nd, but is slated to start on the mound next Wednesday.

That is great that Gulf Coast CC has their games on line! No such luck with Polk or any of the other Florida JUCO's I am aware of.

Does your season open with Wallace in 2 weeks or has your season begun already?
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Look, I am having fun getting the juices flowing by showing pictures from years past!

Everyone has a digital camera these days, hopefully people can share 2010 pictures as well.

Here is one from 2007 at Clemson. It looks to me that Marquez Smith is out by a mile and who ever hit a ground ball was also about ready to get out. Smith was an 8th rounder in 2007 and he is now in AA ball.
quote:

Originally posted by floridafan:

Hey YoungGunDad,

My guy plays for Polk State College out of Winter Haven. He will play the majority of his games at 2nd, but is slated to start on the mound next Wednesday.

That is great that Gulf Coast CC has their games on line! No such luck with Polk or any of the other Florida JUCO's I am aware of.

Does your season open with Wallace in 2 weeks or has your season begun already?

His season starts in 2 weeks against Wallace State at Wallace State. 1 on friday and 2 on Saturday.

The announcer on the livestream webcast stated today that Gulf Coast was down to 17 players due to ineligibility issues, and lots of injuries. Wow. That's gotta be hard.

If you want to watch (and I mean watch, not listen) below is the link to Gulf Coasts First Pitch Classic tournament going on this weekend at their field. I know Young Harris, Ga is playing either Gulf Coast or St Pete tomorrow for the Championship. I'm not a betting man but I'd bet that YH will throw Jake Montgomery (#53 JUCO Top Prospect) and if they face St. Pete they should face Austin Wood (#3 JUCO Top Prospect) who peaked at 97mph this fall. Jake Montgomery signed with UGA out of HS and attend there this fall but transferred to YH at the break. Austin Wood attend FSU last year.

Gulf Coast 1st Pitch Classid

Go to PSB Live on the game you want to watch and click on it. Remember, these games are central time.
Last edited by YoungGunDad
Well 17 is no longer 17 - new number 29 as a frosh at local D2.

Really agree with the waiting on media guide story as that is what we have been waiting for -- but son got his role from head coach after final scrimmage yesterday.

He is all pumped to be taking the field with all jr./sr. team this week. About 60-70% of the team are D1 and JUCO tsfrs. Only 4 freshman.

Time to see if all the hard work will pay off, and we are lucky to be able to see every game.
Last edited by Backstop-17
Backstop-17,

Congrats to your son, that is exciting!

I can change your screen name (display name) for you. (The system doesn't allow members to change their own, because some mischief makers would cause confusion with frequest changes.) Wink

Just send me a PM or email me at hsbaseballweb@comcast.net if you do want to change it.

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
CD, I just love the photos from last season and years past. You are right, it really does get the excitement pumping for the upcoming season!

Looks like I will be taking a trip to watch some baseball, courtesy of our wonderful members. Smile I'm debating whether to head for MLB Spring Training in Ft. Myers, FL in mid-March, or try to find a city where I could see several members' sons college teams within a few days.

I will try to put together a list of the schedules for as many member sons as possible...

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Good news from Alabama!
Freshman son played in his first 2 spring scrimmages, both 8 inning games.
The first day playing outfield, he was 1 for 2 with a double, walk, 2 stolen bases, and 1 run scored.
Today, leading 5 to 4, he closed the last 2 innings giving up 1 hit and no runs scored to earn the save.
Next Saturday is fan day with an 8 inning scrimmage and he is scheduled to play 4 innings in the outfield and pitch the last 2 innings, you can bet our family will be making the trip to Tuscaloosa.
Great news Clint, nice to be able to play a position and then come in to close as well! It doesn't get much better than that! Hopefully all this rain will push through and you will have great weather for your game saturday!

We are getting drenched today! I was looking forward to my guy playing at the local JUCO today (he attends a out of town JUCO) and being able to invite some friends to a local game in the afternoon, but its been raining all through the night.

On the plus side it is going to push his start on the mound forward by a game so that he may end up pitching against his former team, and against a old HS friend that was drafted last year. It will be a fun match up with some scouts in attendence.

The last time they faced each other was in HS in their Sophomore year, each pitching a complete game with our team losing late with a 1-0 score. Should be fun if my sons' coach allows it to happen, he is sensitive about pitching him against his former team from last year.
Ahhh...this time last year, I was pretty much a nervous wreck...not knowing whether my boy would get 20 or 200 ab's, if/when/where he would play...if/when/where we would go to see him play. What a major blast it was...this year, not quite as nervous...but still very excited...and planning to see more, hopefully. Wink
LOL DaddyBo!

My guy got his first start on the mound since his Junior year in HS tonight against the runner up team from this past years JUCO World Series. He ended up going 6 innings giving up 4 hits and 1 run with about 10K's and got the win.

He actually ended up pitching against a pitcher from Ocala (different from the one I alluded to in an earlier post) which was enjoyable in and of itself, he played with and against him way back when he was in Little League!

Lots of scouts in attendance, and fun had by all! (almost all Wink)
Okay, just back from the first weekend series. Backstop got the 2nd and 3rd game start behind the dish.

We swept the series.

Most important for the confidence of the freshman catcher - his first collegiate hit was, in the words of the school website:

"The offensive onslaught continued with a towering two run homer from "Backstop" that put the "college team" at a comfortable 9-4 lead in the top of the fifth."

Someone was grinning in the stands. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Backstop-17:
Okay, just back from the first weekend series. Backstop got the 2nd and 3rd game start behind the dish.

We swept the series.

Most important for the confidence of the freshman catcher - his first collegiate hit was, in the words of the school website:

"The offensive onslaught continued with a towering two run homer from "Backstop" that put the "college team" at a comfortable 9-4 lead in the top of the fifth."

Someone was grinning in the stands. Cool

How cool is that!! Congrats and continued good luck to the Slugger..
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
One week until season starts for D1 baseball.Can not wait.Have the D2 and D3 seasons already started some places? I know D1 is a universal start date.

Yes...We went out to La Jolla last weekend and watched UCSD and Western Oregon go at it. Pretty good baseball, I believe UCSD is currently ranked #3 and Western Oregon was #17 respectively in D2.
quote:
That UCSD and Western Oregon was probably a good game,UCSD went to the college world series last year didnt they? And Western Oregon is always good.

Awesome, cant wait.I would sit in the cold as well.We are in need of a baseball fix for sure.

Yes they did. We only stayed for the first game of the doubleheader on Sunday. UCSD rallied to beat W. Oregon in the bottom of the ninth on a walkoff HBP. We weren't there for the second game, Superbowl was a little more important to us! Smile But UCSD handled them easily in game two, 8-1. Pitching was a little better than I anticipated. The starting pitcher for UCSD didn't throw awfully hard, probably 84-87, but had a nasty changeup. The starting pitcher for Western Oregon was probably touching the low 90's early on, and looked like a legitimate D1 guy, but didn't seem to maintain the velocity and UCSD finally knocked him out. Overall, both teams looked pretty good!

Strangely, each player on Western Oregon wore a wristband (similar to a QB) with offensive & defensive signals on it. I've seen it done for catcher's, but never the entire lineup.
Last edited by bsbl247
quote:
Originally posted by Homerun04:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy03:
quote:
One week until season starts for D1 baseball.Can not wait.Have the D2 and D3 seasons already started some places? I know D1 is a universal start date.

Some D-1's are playing non coference games this week-end.

DI can't until 2/19...

Of course you're right. My mistake. I meant to answer the question regarding D-II and D-III. I am working a non-conference D-111 this afternoon.
Hooray! Son just got his first mound appearance of the young season, closing out Trinity's 15-3 win over Austin College. 2 ground-outs and one K looking. He looked solid and confident. He'll be pleased!

ILVBB's son had another monster game at the plate, going 3-for-3 with one bomb, 3 RBI, and 2 runs scored.

Game 2 starts soon and is webcast if you're craving some live baseball.
Trinity (TX) -vs- Austin College
quote:
Originally posted by Krakatoa:
Hooray! Son just got his first mound appearance of the young season, closing out Trinity's 15-3 win over Austin College. 2 ground-outs and one K looking. He looked solid and confident. He'll be pleased!

ILVBB's son had another monster game at the plate, going 3-for-3 with one bomb, 3 RBI, and 2 runs scored.

Game 2 starts soon and is webcast if you're craving some live baseball.
Trinity (TX) -vs- Austin College

Congrats to my second favorite d3 team Big Grin and the two dads (Krak and ILVBB ) that have sons doing well there! I think I have watched as much of the webcast season as the two dads have!
Its tough to report since my son is NOT supposed to be pitching, and he ended up with a ND, but he started against Palm Beach Community College on Sunday going 7 1/3 innings throwing 115 pitches with 12K's. He left the mound with a 4-2 lead in the 8th. Unfortunately we were not able to hold it and ended up losing 5-4 in the 10th Inning. He hit well too, going 2 for 5 with a flyout to the fence in CF and a hard line out to Rt center.

Just for fun I totaled it up...19 1/3 innings pitched with 29 k's.

We are now 8 wins and 4 losses.
Couple of posters here had kids with good starts!

"O 44 son" had a career day at the plate, going 4-for-5 with five RBI and two runs scored, including launching a two-run home run to left field in the third inning. "playfair son" also had three hits on the day.

Actually, "O44 son" is batting .800 and "playfair son" is batting .833 (5 for 6 with 4 runs scored, 1 2b and an rbi).....

We are fairly excited about the start!
quote:
Originally posted by playfair:
Couple of posters here had kids with good starts!

"O 44 son" had a career day at the plate, going 4-for-5 with five RBI and two runs scored, including launching a two-run home run to left field in the third inning. "playfair son" also had three hits on the day.

Actually, "O44 son" is batting .800 and "playfair son" is batting .833 (5 for 6 with 4 runs scored, 1 2b and an rbi).....

We are fairly excited about the start!

playfair - huge congrats - I had no idea your son was at UNLV and now I guess I know the rest of the story Big Grin

UNLV's 2010 stats page is not working so looking at the stats for three games in conjunction with what you have posted, I think I figured out that your son is a freshman catcher from California! All the best to the young man and again, congrats! Smile
playfair, as you know I coach at Seoul American High over here in Korea. Your big bear of a lefty, Mike Goodman, is probably the best player to have worn our uniform - he was here for one season several years ago (there was a different coach here at the time, but my college soph son was a HS freshman that year and Mike and my son made a very rare and solid weekend rotation for an overseas team!).

Come to think of it, I think Mike graduated last year!!

Anyway, big congrats to your son on a great start - and O44-son, too!!
Last edited by Krakatoa
Well Krak, you made me think for a second. I was thing Goodman, Goodman, Goodman... no, Gilbertson?.... Anyway.. thanks.. the boy is just a freshman and it is just the start of the season but as parents we are very happy for him.

I almost jumped in the car and drove to the game tonight (4 hr) but cooler heads prevailed (husband told me no). Frown

guess I will have to wait for the weekend.
Floridafan, that is fantastic!

I once was at an Angels game (in 1985 i think).... the Angels were down 9 runs going into the bottom of the 9th. I was begging my boyfriend to leave. I got this lecture from him about "the game is not over until the last pitch is thrown... which I am sure I was yawning through and darned if they did not come back and win that game. At the end there was a scant 1/2 of the crowd left to cheer.... but I was one of them...

Very exciting.... There is no better win than a come from behind to win kind of win.

congrats!

Oh...it's even better than advertised for Playfair's son...

How is this for a freshmen line so far this year after the teams first 6 games...

Avg .727
AB 11
Starts 3
Slg .818
OBP .786
BB 3
TB 9

Gaudy!

And even better than that...already has a walk off hit last week...

....and then last night drove in what turned out to be the winning run in the bottom 8th with his second big time clutch hit of the short year...

YOWSA!

Last edited by observer44
playfair, congrats!

Bum, Jr. rolled an ankle last year and was out and didn't pitch much but did pretty good in the Summer. Started against Texas Tech yesterday and left up 7-2 after 4 innings with 6k's but was pulled so didn't get the win. Struck out the side in the 1st.. got the cobwebs out but not bad overall. Tough gig, pitching.
Well, baseball season finally felt "real" to us last night, as we watched the Univ of Minnesota Gophers take on Oklahoma State last night in the Dairy Queen Classic at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

OK struck me as having muscular, strong hitters all through their lineup, and they took quite a toll on the MN pitchers, running up a 12-0 lead after 2-1/2 innings. It was looking like a lopsided game, but the Gophers relievers held OK scoreless for the next 5 innings while MN hitters narrowed the gap with 9 runs.

I was especially impressed with OK State's RF Luis Uribe, a very strong looking young man from Boston MA who went 4 for 5 including a line drive HR in the final inning.

It's so exciting to be watching live baseball again!!!

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Those of us that have been around baseball a long time know there are highs and lows in this sport. I have learned to celebrate the highs and hang in there during the lows.

Son had an incredible week-end. Playing out of state his team was spanked Fri night, losing 7-0 with many errors. They came back the next 2 games to win. Son went 5-5 on Sat, then continued his streak with 2 more hits before striking out. He got a hug from his head coach after the 5 for 5 day. Said it doesn't happen too often so to enjoy it.
quote:
Son had an incredible week-end. Playing out of state his team was spanked Fri night, losing 7-0 with many errors. They came back the next 2 games to win. Son went 5-5 on Sat, then continued his streak with 2 more hits before striking out. He got a hug from his head coach after the 5 for 5 day. Said it doesn't happen too often so to enjoy it.

Sorry I was late on this, on the road as well...but I can personally attest...

Great kid...hard worker...real discipline and perspective....great family..great humility...great perspective...great present...great future...could not be more well eraned/deserved...the good guys, and the right values do win a few...

quote:
Originally posted by observer44:
Oh, and add a Monday dinger to that total...for CaBB Son...

Didn't miss that one!

That is great stuff

Given the 5-5 the other night and the limited number of college games this evening, I was able to figure out all on my own who we were talking about here

I mean if people are happy that Jeff Bridges finally won an Oscar, they certainly should all be happy for people named Beau!
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
Those of us that have been around baseball a long time know there are highs and lows in this sport. I have learned to celebrate the highs and hang in there during the lows.

Awesome!
Remember I said something about the highs and the lows.....well after such a great week-end on the road the team was hit hard by probable food poisoning. Throwing up on the plane, 4 of the boys (and the trainer) had to be hospitalized in Salt Lake City. About 15 of the players have it now. For some reason my son did not get sick. Hopefully they all recover quickly. Kind of feel sorry for the other passengers on the flight!

Infield- now that you mention it I do remember Beau Bridges in that movie. (Are we old??)
PUHD, .111 who cares.... it is early season. the only time to worry about the batting avg is at the end of the season.

your player is evaluated each and every time he plays. i guarantee you that if your son goes 4-4 tomorrow with a hr and a double no one will discount him because he is currently batting .111

please tell your son to forget about the avg, clear his mind and battle each and every at bat ... worryfree...

pm me, i have a cd you should get for your son.
For the first time in a couple of years our son has actually got to play the game he loves. This spring so far he has put up staggering numbers in JUCO baseball hit .514 with 16 HR's and 47 RBI's through 21 games. I am very proud as a parent to see him perform at this level but more proud of the work he has had to put in Academically to get this opportunity. After transferring from a D1 school and having to sit out at another D1 due to transfer rules he became academically ineligible to play at that school. He has worked hard on grades just to get chance to further his baseball dreams and for that I am a very proud.
My team has only completed 7 games so far due to some inclement weather. We have 4 games coming up this weekend and another 5 over the course of the next week so we will certainly be getting moving so far.

We are currently 7 and 0, and have outscored our opponents 65-27 over our first 7 games. Our team batting average is .363, team ERA is 3.20 (versus .210/8.84 for opponents). Our ace was the only pitcher to have 2 starts thus far, and is 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA, 13 IP, 26 K/2 BB/6 hits.

I have thrown 5 1/3 IP and have given up 1 ER, 5 H, 2 BB and 5 K.

We are very excited for this coming weekend as team and hopefully we can keep up the solid play.

Anyone else with any other updates?
quote:
Very Nice '44!

Love to see those Grannys!

We have not seen one of those this year but my guy has settled in to be at around .425 for the past 10 games or so. He has 9 2B, 5 3B, and 5 HR so far. Hopefully he can build from here. Hard to believe that there are only 17 games left to our regular season...

Ummm....You can add 2 more HR to Floridafan's sons total for the year. He hit 2 more today as they demolished another conference foe - 17-2. Surely Top schools or the MLB scouts have to be watering at the mouth over this kid!

Looks like Younggunson gets his first start of the season this Saturday against Chattanooga State. He's missed the first 4 starts of the season nursing some shoulder soreness. I could hear a little giddy-up in his voice today....finally!
Last edited by YoungGunDad
Son had a great week and weekend. Pitched 3 games in relief for a total of 9 innings giving up 2 hits, 0 runs, with 11 strikeouts and no walks. I know it will probably be tough for him to repeat such a performance but it nice to be able to string together a few good games.

Best part after all of those games was that he was named the Atlantic Sun Pitcher of the Week!!

http://www.atlanticsun.org/baseball/news/106/4289/
quote:
Originally posted by Still Learning:
I am happy to report that our Tigers Won their First Series against Rice this weekend!

Plus Tigers earned recognition as both Conference USA Hitter of the Week and Pitcher of the Week 3/22 and Pitcher of the Week 3/29.

Good things are happening here!!

Still Learning that is awesome! I have followed Jonathan all these years and he is having the time of his life! Good things happen to good people!
17's team is doing extremely well. They are ranked 4th DII. Record is 32-5, 13-0 in conference play and have won 20 in a row.

17 took a foul tip shot off the face mask 2 weeks ago, after an earlier bell ringer 2 weeks before that. He was diagnosed with a minor concussion the second time as he got a little nauseous after running the bases the inning after the foul tip. He has been rehabbing and will be cleared Monday to return to full play. The trainers took him through stages on his way back, hitting one day, throwing next, catching bullpens next, and full practice. Each stage they monitor how he is feeling the day after.

He is also switching catching helmets. He was using a 4 yr old Allstar hockey mask he had used all through high school. Now he is going to use the college provided skull cap and mask combination, and is required to wear a mouthguard while catching. His high school district required mouthguards all 4 years of his varsity play and he never complained once about being hit in the mask. And yes he caught 3-4 90 plus pitchers all through highschool.

I am really pleased with the caution the training staff has taken on his return. Baseball is a marathon and not a sprint and rushing back with a concussion makes no sense at this stage as a freshman. Too much baseball left in the future.

I have enjoyed reading all your updates and continue to enjoy the message board.
Hey Backstop,

Sounds like your son is at U. Tampa. Glad to hear that your son is going to be fine. That is tough to take a shot like that. It is amazing the guts that it takes to be a catcher. Looks like Tampa is having an awesome season!

My guy pitched 6 innings today giving up 1 unearned run and hitting a grand slam. He even got the win!

Great day in sunny Florida!
Congrats to a HUGE day for Floridafan's son! Wow! Talk about having a day....

After over a month of physical therapy and finally getting back on the bump youngson got to toe the rubber in relief in the 2nd game of a DH. Came in with bases loaded in the 3rd for the starter. Struck out 2, had 1 hit. He said his arm/shoulder had never felt stronger which was what I wanted to hear.

For some reason the coach only let him pitch 1 inning. I'm sure he had his reasons, afterall, he is the coach. Youngson was just happy to get back in the action even though they got swept.
Wow Floridafan! That's Awesome! Congrats YGD what a relief it is to see him return to the mound, 08jr great outing, and all the rest of the HSBW folks .

Like CaBB said "Always good to hear "our kids" are doing well."

Tigers won their second consecutive Conference USA series, on the road this weekend. First time winning a conference series on the road since 2007 and first time winning two in a row since 2007. Also tied some team records for home runs and consective hits in a game. Things are continuing to look up!
quote:
Originally posted by ILVBB:
My guy had a pretty decent weekend; 6-10, with 2HR's a 2b and 8 rbi's.

However, I am looking forward to his next game. His next hit will be his 200th collegiate hit; which I think is really something to be proud of.

I'd say he had a Pretty Decent weekend! And indeed, 200 hits is something to be very proud of...Congratulations!
quote:
Originally posted by bsbl247:
quote:
My guy had a pretty decent weekend; 6-10, with 2HR's a 2b and 8 rbi's.

However, I am looking forward to his next game. His next hit will be his 200th collegiate hit; which I think is really something to be proud of.

I'd say he had a Pretty Decent weekend! And indeed, 200 hits is something to be very proud of...Congratulations!

200 Hits is a lot to be proud of - may it be a rocket in his next AB!!!
ILVBB,
Congratulations to Evan.
He is having a monster season. The offensive numbers he is putting up are amazing.
His consistency from game to game and AB to AB, to me, is equally impressive.
He obviously is a leader on his very young team, and not just with his bat!
I know a lot of us are hoping he can put that team on his shoulders and have them playing when the Regionals are announced in May!
quote:
He got his 200th hit tonight; things keep going well. He homered (a grand slam) for the third game in a row; going 3-5 with 6 rbi's tonight.

I think he will remember this evening for some time to come.

Incredible! He will remember this evening for some time, and I'm sure you will too! Congrats!!!
Update.

Some may remember a post I put up six months or so ago. Quick history summary: Sean had some good appearances in the '08 post season CWS run, particularly his relief outing vs ASU, but was pitching through severe bicep tendonitis that entire season. He returned in the fall of the '09 season, his junior year, after taking the summer off to let the tendonitis abate and made significant changes to his mechanics. He was healthy with no more pain. He entered the '09 season as the #2 starter, full of hope for a great Junior season, and thinking of a bright future. But the new mechanics made off-speed control problematic and took a lot of movement off his pitches. That also made him rely on his fastball too much and put him behind in the count too often. Bad combination at the D1 level where he can't overpower hitters just with 90-93 stuff and you need more than a good fastball. After four starts he was moved to the bullpen with only spot appearances later in the season. In the 2nd half of the season he worked hard on significant changes again to his mechanics to get back to a more natural arm action, one that used a lot more core torso and hip torque. That helped his arm find a repeatable, natural slot, plus returned the movement to his pitches. He didn't have a chance to use these changes in '09 as he didn't pitch in the late or post-season.

The mental challenges he had to surmount, releasing of evaporated dreams, trying to figure this out while struggling to perform, focusing on new goals, were just as large as the physical ones. He then went off to summer ball in Chicago for the Crystal Lake Cardinals on a personal mission to hone those changes and prove he could command all his pitches.

So, by the numbers ...

His results in the '09 season when his mechanics were a mess:

24.1 IP, 47 H, 34 R, 30 ER, 22 BB, 20 Ks, .402 OppAvg, 11.10 ERA, ... total Opponent OBP was .548

His results in Chicago

42 IP, 32 H, 10 R, 8 ER, 8 BB, 42 Ks, .213 OppAvg, 1.33 ERA ... Total Opponent OBP was .254 and more importantly a 2.2 strike/ball ratio

Results to date in the '10 Season at Fresno (all in relief)

28.2 IP, 22 H, 11 R, 10 ER, 8 BB, 21 K, .216 OppAvg, 3.14 ERA ... Total Opponent OBP is .283 (best of the staff)

He returned this year with no expectations other than to work hard, support the team any way Coach Batesole determined, and to prove he was worthy of wearing the FS uniform. In his own words, anything beyond that “was in God’s hands”. He returned to Fresno for his Senior year with a personal goal: simply prove to himself that he was capable of pitching to the best hitters at the D1 level regardless of whether that was one inning, twenty, or fifty, and contribute to the team regardless of what role he might be assigned. He accepted that last year’s failure meant there were a lot of guys in front of him that would get the ball first. He knew his status as a Senior meant he had to deliver results today, consistently very good results, as it was no longer about developing potential for the future.

The only thing he placed his trust in was that if he worked hard, put the team first, and performed consistently well, that he could get a fair chance to put those 24 innings from ‘09 firmly in the past and contribute in some material way to the team’s success today. He believed in himself when no one else did. He anchored himself on his faith and spirituality. He released all his fears, freed himself from any thoughts about the past or future, and embraced adversity as an opportunity for personal growth.

I will state publicly and unabashedly that I'm immensely proud of his strength of character, courage, spirituality, and the deep personal commitment he exhibited in embracing and surmounting that challenge. It had to come from within him, no where else. There's lots of other things he could have done besides face this head on and take full ownership of it. To me at least, it’s a demonstration of character that will transcend the role of baseball in his life. I’m constantly amazed at the inner peace he’s achieved in such a high pressure situation, where inner serenity is often the hardest thing to attain yet frequently the key precursor of success. That maturity is really helping him now on the mound as he just walks out there and focuses on his approach to each batter, each pitch, completely unburdened of mental distractions. One more inning on the mound can’t affect that accomplishment or how he’ll carry that lesson on through his life. He doesn't think about what's next, or if he'll have an opportunity to keep playing baseball after this season is concluded. Sure, that's his dream and something he's worked hard towards for many years, but also "in God's hands" in his view. He remains focused on the team first and on deliverying results today, not on tomorrow. Maybe someone will see something they like in the BigFella and take a chance with him. Maybe not. But at a minimum surmounting this challenge is an life accomplishment and a pride he can carry forward even if he never plays another inning. He'll be reminded of this accomplishment every time he looks down at that CWS ring.

I believe regardless of what the final stats say in the books, he'll know he represented the core values of wearing that FS jersey well.
Last edited by pbonesteele
Thank you for sharing such a personal story with all of us. Your son is such a wise person, obviously having come by this wisdom from his parents, and going through adversity.

At the end of the day what more can you ask for? He has a strong sense of self, a deep faith, and confidence that all will turn out well. I keep saying this journey is NOT about the W-L record. It's about the journey itself and what our kids learn from it and what they make of it. As parents we are fortunate to be along for the ride and learn from them. They do make us better people.

Again, thanks for sharing. He's got lots of fans here.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
This for Coach Merc and his son Mike, senior catcher at University of Maine---Young Mike was just named America East Player of the week---Congratulations

TR - I am sure you won't mind me correcting you on this one. Mike is doing well at High Point while Joe is the catcher up at Maine.

Congrats to Joe, Mike, Coach Merc and family!
The season ended too soon tonight...Hard to believe that it is over. Lost in 12 innings last night with my guy at the plate, bases loaded down 2 runs and he hits a shot that everyone in the stands was sure was gone. Unfortunately for us the ball was about 3 feet from going over and was harmlessly caught and we were done...

We fully expected to win that game and be in the playoffs, we had beat the team 3 out of the 4 times we had faced them. Still a little shocked.

Son will finish out his school and then head up to Fayetteville in a couple weeks to begin the next season, then onto University of Tampa in the Fall.

Best of luck to all the rest of you out there, enjoy every game. The season usually comes to an end before you are ready!
I know that some folks do not talk about their son's accomplishments. And I know that I am a proud dad that has been guilty of this. I wish I had the ability to show more restraint, and demonstrate greater evidence of humility...

But, I think ClevelandDad created this thread for this reason so I am going to take advantage of it.

Just found out that my son made All Conference 1st Team, and All Conference Player of The Year.

I just had to share that!

Thank you!
quote:
I know that some folks do not talk about their son's accomplishments. And I know that I am a proud dad that has been guilty of this. I wish I had the ability to show more restraint, and demonstrate greater evidence of humility...

But, I think ClevelandDad created this thread for this reason so I am going to take advantage of it.

Just found out that my son made All Conference 1st Team, and All Conference Player of The Year.

I just had to share that!

Thank you!

Floridafan is not doing his son justice here. I appreciate his humility but let me put it into perspective what his son accomplished this spring in one of the most (if not the most) competitive JUCO conferences in America. Along with the above awards, here are his stats:

(Reminder that he went into this spring as a JUCO Sophomore as a position player mostly)

Pitching: Ranked 13th in the conference with an astounding ERA of 3.00.

Pitching: Ranked 15th in the conference in K per IP with a 1.19 (42IP/50K)

Individual Hitting: Ranked 3rd in the conference with a .458BA

Homeruns: Ranked 21st in the conference with 9

RBIs: Ranked 2nd in the conference with 69 (2 behind the leader)

On Base %: Ranked 9th in the conference with a .502%

The kid is without a doubt a bonafide player and IMO has a great future in baseball awaiting him.

YGD
Hey fillsfan,

My guy played at Polk State his sophomore year at a JUCO transferring from Daytona State (Mid-State Conference) in his freshman year. He has played 2nd, Short, 3rd, and Pitched.

Polk played in the Suncoast Conference (Florida) along with St. Petersburg and Manatee (now State College of Florida) which are perennial powerhouses. Eric transferred to Polk to be closer to his hitting instructor, and to a school that would let him swing the bat the way he wanted to.

He has signed a LOI with the University of Tampa and will be playing summer ball in Fayetteville with the Swampdogs. We have no idea about the draft, although I know that there are a few teams that have expressed interest. Just trying to enjoy each day as it comes.

Thank you all for your kind words, I feel as though we are part of a baseball family, and as such am excited to share stuff with you. Cyberspace or not, you guys (and gals) are my friends.

I know that there are a lot of other players represented by families here that are having or have had, at least as good a season as my guy.

Congratulations to all of our players as they continue to follow their dream!
quote:

floridafan; Congrats to you and the boy! You CAN be proud and have earned the right to brag here!
I for one, enjoy reading of the successes of all our players. Best of luck at Tampa, a boy on my sons H.S. Team is going there.
It is hard to sum up in a short synopsis.

Freshman year was everything I was warned it would be. Going from playing every inning of every game in high school to pitching very few innings and starting 5 games and coming in as a defensive replacement late in some games took some adjustment.

Exit interview after year it is suggested he work on 1st base over summer, position is open, but don't forget to throw once in awhile.

Come Spring, he is the starting pitcher in two games in Florida, and when they come north he is a weekend starter. As the season progresses he pitches some games well enough to win, some games which with a few breaks he could win, and some games he's just bad. Last weekend of the season, he still does not have a win, but the team has won many of the games he has started. That Saturday, coach has a very short leash, he's pulled early but the team comes back to win. On the phone Sunday he tells me the coach has scheduled a game with a regionally ranked team in hopes of grabbing an at large bid. Son is not tremendously excited, he not satisfied with his body of work for the year, feels like it would have been nice to get that first win under his belt and he does not anticipate getting called on in this new game.

Game day, we take a big lead, but our number one can't hold it. Number two does not last an inning and the coach goes to a senior to try to put the fire out. NO luck, calls on LDE to come in with bases loaded one out. 3-1 ground out puts us down by two. He strikes out the last batter that inning. We score 4 in bottom of 7th he pitches shutout ball and we win and he gets his first college victory.

On the phone he says, "funny how things have a way of working out..."
The Midland College Chaparrals (37-18-1)finished the 2010 regular season as the #3 team in the WJCAC, earning the #2 seed at the Texas D1 NJCAA Region 5 Tournament. The tournament is being played at LaGrave Field, home of the Ft. Worth Cats.

The eight team tournament features the top four teams from the Western Junior College Athletic Conference (WJCAC) and the top four teams from the North Texas Junior College Athletic Conference (NTJCAC, including the 2009 NJCAA National Champions - #1 seed Howard College (44-8).

On Sunday, in GM1, Midland defeated Grayson County 3-2 with a walk-off homerun from (So)Marshall Williams.

GM2, Midland v. Temple is scheduled for 5PM CST and it is being webcast at: Midland Vs. Temple

GED10DaD

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.