Skip to main content

According to floridafan JUCO's start tomorrow. This thread is for all levels of college baseball - JUCO, NAIA, D3, D2, and D1. Tell us about anything that comes to mind. Your son's accomplishments, his teammates success, your excitement about things, or first-hand accounts if you are a player. You can post here if things went well or let us know when there were struggles. Either way, post often and all season long!

PS - when someone is aware of the high school season starting anywhere on the continent, please let me know and we'll start a 2010 thread for high school reporting.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yahoo, let the games begin!

ClevelandDad said: "Tell us about anything that comes to mind. Your son's accomplishments, his teammates success, your excitement about things, or first-hand accounts if you are a player."

Or, you can post an invitation for me to come and watch your son play in any game within driving distance of Minneapolis, MN!
Wink

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
A friend of mine left me a message of how his son did in their opening game and that his son's picture is on the NAIA school's web site and accounting of the game:

Concordia University Irvine Baseball News

IRVINE, CA --- It took Concordia's offense 5.1 innings to get its first hit, but when it rained, it poured for the Eagle offense in a soggy 5-1 win over Simpson in both teams' season-opener Tuesday afternoon at Eagle Field.

The Eagles (1-0) picked up their first hit of the day on a bunt single by senior centerfielder Pete Lemone with one out in the sixth, and three of the next four batters followed suit in a three-run frame that gave CUI a 3-1 lead heading into the late innings.

A standout CUI debut from senior left-hander Bennett Whitmore made junior first-baseman Bryan Nicholson's two-run shot in the eighth inning an afterthought, as he went 8.1 innings where he allowed just one earned run on six hits and two walks while striking out seven.

"Bennett Whitmore pitched a great game today," head coach Mike Grahovac said. "He came out and pounded the strike zone all day, and that's just what we needed out of him."

Whitmore's only trouble came in the first two innings, where he surrendered the one run on five hits--two of which came from leadoff hitting centerfielder Jared Jorden, who went 3-for-4 on the day.

Simpson picked up its run in the first when Jorden singled up the middle to lead off the game, stole second and came around to score on a one-out single by Kenny Button to put the Eagles in an early 1-0 hole.

The Redhawks stirred up some two-out trouble in the second, when Shane Battles and Mark Austad--the eighth and ninth place hitters--singled ahead of a base knock from Jorden that loaded the bases.

Whitmore got the next batter, Joshua Corsen, to line out to junior second-baseman Sean Costella to end the threat.

Lemone drew the first of back-to-back walks to lead off the bottom of the first, but junior third-baseman Danny Casey hit into the first of three CUI double-plays to squelch the rally.

Lemone laid a perfect bunt down the third-base line to break up the no-hitter that Simpson starter Joshua Weisse held through 5.1 innings, and junior left-fielder Matt Ivanoff advanced Lemone to third on a hit-and-run to set Casey up with a one-out RBI situation.

Casey's RBI groundout tied the game at 1-1, and Nicholson followed him with a two-out RBI single down the right-field line, then advanced to second on an error by Simpson's right-fielder before touching home on a knock by junior right-fielder Ryan Sheeks to make it a 3-1 lead.

Casey doubled to lead off the bottom of the eighth, and Nicholson followed him with a round-tripper over the right-field fence to make the final score 5-1.

"We started out with a sluggish performance on offense, but started to put things together with some small ball in the sixth," Grahovac said. "It was huge to get Bryan a chance to come up and drive a ball with a man on in the eighth to get some insurance runs, too."

Weisse took the loss for Simpson (0-1), but went 6.1 innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and four walks against three strikeouts.

Nicholson went 2-for-4 with three RBI and two runs to lead the way for CUI.

The game was delayed for about 20 minutes due to rain following the bottom of the third inning, but resumed shortly thereafter.

The Eagles next host Oregon Tech this Friday (Jan. 29), starting at 2 p.m. at Eagle Field.
Last edited by Homerun04
I'll be honest, it is hurting me that my son is no longer in college. We both loved high school baseball and the same goes for college ball. I am thankful his career is continuing in the pros but I would be lying if I said I am not missing college ball big time right now. We both will always be Chanticleer fans and we wish them nothing but the best. They are poised for a big year this year and we are rooting them on to Omaha!

Preseason College Top 25
Yeah there have been a lot of good things posted about Coastal Carolina.I like all I have read about their coach and his philosophies.I hope they do well.
First series Feb 19 at Cal Poly for our guy.We have our rooms booked.Just will be happy to see him in a college uni.
Best of luck to all the boys, at all divisions.This is something that will happen only once in a lifetime for many of our young men.
You want to know what I think of this time of year?

I think of all the parents of freshman. After hanging on every minute of fall ball, listening intently to Junior prognosticate about the team and his role through winter workouts, wondering what the coach thinks of my little guy,

...waiting, waiting, waiting, for the new media guide to come out...waiting

Reading Juniors bio about 800 times, counting down the days until opening day, waiting, waiting, waiting...

...and just about the time you could burst...game time.

That's what I think about this time of year...I remember it well.

Good luck to everyone!
quote:
Originally posted by MN-Mom:

Or, you can post an invitation for me to come and watch your son play in any game within driving distance of Minneapolis, MN!
Wink

Julie

You are hereby invited to watch my youngest son's games - date of your choosing.

You will not have to drive.

I have arranged for Gotwood4sale to chaffeur you - and 2 of your guests - from the great state of Minnesota - to Pembroke, North Carolina.

Unfortunately - Gotwood is charging me so much for this service - that I could not afford to get a hotel room for you and your guests - so you will have to sleep in the car.

Gotwood has gratiously agreed to provide blankets - 3 Snickers bars - and some bottled water as part of the travel package.

Enjoy!!!
quote:
Originally posted by CPLZ:
You want to know what I think of this time of year?

I think of all the parents of freshman. After hanging on every minute of fall ball, listening intently to Junior prognosticate about the team and his role through winter workouts, wondering what the coach thinks of my little guy,

...waiting, waiting, waiting, for the new media guide to come out...waiting

Reading Juniors bio about 800 times, counting down the days until opening day, waiting, waiting, waiting...

...and just about the time you could burst...game time.

That's what I think about this time of year...I remember it well.

Good luck to everyone!

Now you've really got me excited. As a freshman parent, when should I expect my media guide?
its,

Wow, that is the most exciting offer I've had in a long time!

Two guests of my choosing? Well, obviously guest #1 is play baseball, gotwood's lovely and very fun wife. (We ran through the rain together on the day the bridge fell down - does that need further explanation???) Have to think about guest #2. Wait, you said three Snickers bars. I think just the three of us will be enough for this road trip.

Where's the game schedule?

Julie
quote:
Originally posted by RRF8:

Now you've really got me excited. As a freshman parent, when should I expect my media guide?

In Juniors freshman year, we were playing at UTSA in a round robin in San Antonio. The media guide came out online two days before the game, and we were given spiral bound editions sitting in the stands prior to the first game. The asst. coach came out of the dugout with a box and started handing them out...there were only enough for 1 per family of parents.

I was sitting in the stands with 3 Star General Ray Ordierno when he looked over my shoulder and said, "let's read about your son". He's a former Army baseball player...and a pretty neat guy...that was my first media guide.

P.S. Junior had been at West Point since late June after his HS graduation and was now 8 months into his freshman year and taking 22 hours of classes in season when Gen. Ordierno asked, "How is Kirk enjoying West Point?" I replied, "I'm not sure enjoying accurately portrays his experience there sir." The General had a pretty good laugh, and replied, "West Point is a great place to be from".
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
quote:

Originally posted by CPLZ:

"West Point is a great place to be from".

That's the understatement of the decade! A million dollar education and serving our country as young military officers to boot!

Actually, the context in which The General was referring, was that West Point is a better place to be from than to be at. Big Grin I should have explained it better.
quote:
Originally posted by iheartbb:
Seriously Julie,
Maybe you could get a couple of days off....
You would be able to see all kinds of hsbbweb posters sons in uniform all up and down our beautiful Cali Wink

Okay, it might be more than a couple of days....

Ya know what would be cool? If websters all chipped in ten, twenty bucks, and sent Julie to a nice, warm early-season baseball venue, hotel, airfare, the works as thanks for everything she does for all of us around the place!
Last edited by Krakatoa
CPLZ, I loved your freshman recount ( I lived it this year) and the story! WP being a great place to be FROM came through loud and clear.

Krak, set up a paypal account and I will gladly contribute for a warm trip for Julie (how about CWS?)

Today my freshman son called home to tell of how his last two days were. They were great! He is psyched and is as anxious to play ball as we parents are to watch it.

It reminded me of when he was a little kid and was going fishing with his dad, he did not sleep all night long... just kind of sat up in his bed with his fishing vest on and waited for the call to leave.
I will set it up this weekend. Julie, you cannot say NO! Hopefully we can get enough together so you can go enjoy a couple days in the sun watching some ball! You work so hard all year with this, and we all know there are some very stressful times. Please let us treat you!

I will post a separate link with info on how to contribute to the SEND JULIE AWAY fundraiser within 24 hours...
quote:
Originally posted by Krakatoa:

Ya know what would be cool? If websters all chipped in ten, twenty bucks, and sent Julie to a nice, warm early-season baseball venue, hotel, airfare, the works as thanks for everything she does for all of us around the place!

Fargo is nice this time of the year
Hey everybody! For the freshmen parents out there, the excitement and uncertainty is palpable. Even if your son is in the starting lineup right now, you don't know exactly what will happen. For those that are not starters immediately, that is the gig most of the time. Outwork your competition. Out attitude them and you will see your dreams come true.

I was just looking at my son's facebook page and came across this picture. It shows that college baseball is indeed the best of times. This is a picture from my son's last home game last May and there was a ceremony on the field for the seniors. To the far right, my Dad is wearing the white hat but his faced is clipped by the picture. Next follows my oldest son Beau and it is an understatement to say that he has been a challenge for our family. Next is my baseball son Tyler followed by my daughter Shelby. It was 95 degress on this day last May....

Last edited by ClevelandDad
Gonna be a real interesting spring for the Mrs and I. Practice started yesterday for our two boys, Joe a Sr at Maine and Mike a freshman at High Point. Maine was on their field, earliest date ever and High Points opening scrimage was snowed out
Trying to figure that one out.

We have all sorts of trips planned to try and see both. Weekend #2 of the season High Point at Home Fri, Sat, Sun while Maine is at UNC about an hour apart and all the games are at the same time. Go figure.

Mike has been told he is the starting SS so all kinds of crazy emotions flying through the house here.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.