Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

With draft day comming soon, I am getting a fair amount of attention from several pro teams. I am being filmed and seeing crosscheckers and national crosscheckers come to my games.

I know that I am not a first 5 round guy, since I have not been drug tested and no agents have tried to contact me.

How does it work, do I sit by a phone on draft day with my dad and whoever is advising me or just plan my day like any other? I will be out of state playing summer ball.
Brn2Hit,
Good questions.
As the draft approaches, some of the scouts will give you a better idea of whether they think you will be drafted, and, if so, the range of rounds.
Information on whether a player is likely to be drafted is much more reliable than rounds, much more.
If I recall right, you are a JC player??
If so, if you are going to get drafted, scouts are going to need to know the chances you will sign and at what bonus and what college options/costs exist that will need to be considered.
If you are having cross-checkers and national cross-checkers seeing you as a prospect, that means some team/teams have interest in your skills, pretty good interest.
If they decide to draft you or put you on their board, money and ability to get you signed will be discussed if they are looking at you in the first 15-18 or so rounds.
If there is a good likelihood you will be drafted and sign, you should know a lot more before June than you do now.
You might not know it from the teams that end up drafting you.
But it is unlikely you will be sitting by the radio/computer with your Dad and not have an idea on whether your name will be selected.
Where most players might be picked, well that is far less certain.
Last edited by infielddad
CNY2010,
is your son in high school or college and if the latter, what year, junior or senior.
In order to be drafted, either the MLB scouting bureau or one of the teams needs to submit the player's name so he is assigned a number for the draft.
The norm is that submission is preceded by the player filling out some type of information for the scout.
It is conceivable a college senior sign could be drafted if the college coach has provided all needed information so the player's name and information can be submitted and a draft number assigned. I would think a college coach who has a relationship with the scouts he is talking with can figure out if this has happened.
I am familiar with players who had no contact with a MLB club being drafted by that club, but they had always been contacted by scouts from other teams or the Bureau.
My experience is limited but every player we know who was drafted, even in rounds 30-50 had filled out cards and/or information sheets for scouts and talked with some scouts when they came to see them play.
Could there be exceptions? I imagine, but if a player has no contact with a scout, would have some questions the level of interest.
If your son is a college senior, there could be another possibility to consider from the type of interest he is attracting. If he is not drafted, he can be signed as a free agent once teams determine their needs and how their signing of drafted players evolves.
It isn't a bad situation because if more than one team wants the free agent, he actually has a bit of bargaining power, not too much, but some.
Last edited by infielddad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.