Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not everyone can say they turned down a 1st rounder for their travel team. I kind of did that. The player's team had broken up due to a "parent revolt" as I understand it. His dad called me to see if we had a spot on our team. I told him we'd love to have the kid but that we weren't going to play enough of our tournaments at as high a level as the kid belonged at.

He and CASon played on the same team in their first showcase. CASon was rated higher but we knew he was the real thing.

Good kid as well as a good baseball player. Congrats Christian.
quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan5:
Julie,

Thanks for everything this site has done for so many of us through the years to help us, help our sons reach their goals.

My son Justin, was drafted tonight by the Tampa Bay Rays, 31st pick in the 1st round. A dream come true for all of us...

Thanks,
Randy O'Conner

Huge congrats!

I saw some of the highlight clips of your son on MLB network last night and his athleticism and batting skills (including power) jumped off the screen. He can play any position on the field which will be an asset for him and speed his journey to the big leagues.
quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan5:
Julie,

Thanks for everything this site has done for so many of us through the years to help us, help our sons reach their goals.

My son Justin, was drafted tonight by the Tampa Bay Rays, 31st pick in the 1st round. A dream come true for all of us...

Thanks,
Randy O'Conner

chills down my spine.... incredible and wonderfull
quote:

Thanks,
Randy O'Conner

Congrats to Justin and your family. my son pitches in southern indiana and we were watching specifically to see how justin did! nice article in espn the rise as well. baseball in the midwest is making progress and it's always exciting to see our indiana boys do well!

please keep us posted on his progress......
quote:
Originally posted by CADad:
Not everyone can say they turned down a 1st rounder for their travel team. I kind of did that. The player's team had broken up due to a "parent revolt" as I understand it. His dad called me to see if we had a spot on our team. I told him we'd love to have the kid but that we weren't going to play enough of our tournaments at as high a level as the kid belonged at.

He and CASon played on the same team in their first showcase. CASon was rated higher but we knew he was the real thing.

Good kid as well as a good baseball player. Congrats Christian.

My son can one up you. He can say that he has given up a home run and struck out against two first rounders taken in the same draft...
Two players I know well were just drafted in the fifth round out of Coastal Carolina. Cody Wheeler a 5'11" left hander went undrafted out of high school and now taken by the D-Backs. Rico Noel - a 5'9" speedster extrordinaire was also undrafted out of high school. Both of these guys show that hard work can lead to good things in college and beyond.
We typically don't see high schoolers drafted all that often in this area. We had two from the same High School go fairly high this year. Stetson Allie (UNC signee) was the second pick of the second round to the Pirates and his catcher Alex Lavisky (Georgia Tech signee) went to the Indians in the 8th round. The last hs picks we saw from Cleveland area was 3 years ago with 6'9" Scott Movial to the Mets in the second round and Derick Dietrich to the Astros in the third round. Dietrich went to Georgia Tech and was selected in the second round today by the Rays - 79th overall.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.