Skip to main content

Based on Tx-Husker's comments in another thread that the high school season is starting on Tuesday in Texas, it is time to open this thread as well!

Tell us about anything that comes to mind with respect to high school baseball. Your son's accomplishments, his teammates success, your excitement about things, recruiting news, or first-hand accounts if you are a player. You can post here if things went well or let us know when there were struggles. Either way, post often and all season long!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Two more winter ball games before the beginning of the season in late February for my son's team. Hopefully I'm a little more relaxed in his second varsity season compared to last year! I'm excited to see what he and his teammates can do in league this year, and I pray that he stays away from the injury bug!
Baseball is not on too many minds up here in snowy Montana. High school basketball will run it's course until the 1st week in March. A nice warm gym is the place to be this time of year in MT.

Sign-ups for American Legion baseball (there is no high school baseball in MT) are 2/21 with tryouts around March 20 (weather permitting). Practices will start immediately (weather permitting) and the 1st game is scheduled for the 1st week in April (weather permitting). It's almost certain to be what I call "cold baseball" until early to mid-May.

Sure do envy you warm weather folks.
Son's team (Laurel Dodgers) won the Montana A Legion championship and lost 6-5 to Washington in the championship of the Northwest Class A Regional Tournament.

Six or seven heavy lifters are gone from that team so it will be a rebuilding year. But a solid core returns and there appears to be some good talent among the newcomers.

Besides, in baseball every team is a contender during spring training, right?
As previously stated, here in AZ we start tryouts on the 8th, teams announced on the 10th, fund raising starts on the 13th, first scimmage on the 19th, first official games on the 24th and 25th.

All the hype, worrying, speculation, etc is about to end. We're entering the second guessing the line-up, game time decisions, umpire's calls, pitch choices, substitutes, should he move up, pitching changes and bunt\no bunt second guess phase of our season.

As a score keeper, I welcome your assistance in determining hits and errors, especially as they relate to your child. For the record, I'm the good looking mom with the score book and not the ugly guy with the palm pilot... :-)
JMoff ... " a hit is a hit and an error is an error, no matter whose kid it is." I'm partial to moms who prefer to keep score than getting drawn into the "gossip circle" with the other moms. I taught my wife to score for me and even keep the Turbo-stat data base for our Travel teams. Now, as we attend our son's games, I can't get the darn book from her and to tell the truth, she's better at it than I am!

I'm sure you are very good at it but I am surprised that any H.S. Varsity team would allow a Parent to serve as the official scorekeeper?

Have a great year and I am staying away from the "ugly palm-pilot guy."
I was on another site earlier and it was suggested that parents should not be allowed at any practice because it puts pressure on the kids and caused second hand coaching . My belief is that any kid who gets nervous or feels pressure at this level at practice should try something new . I also believe that those parents have serious issues . What do you think ? I only attend intersquad and 1 or 2 practices and let the coaches do their job but I believe parents should be allowed to attend if they so desire .
Times ticking, but ticking in the right direction. Here in central west florida we have been going at it since Jan 18 and the teams are already picked and working hard on all aspects of the game.Good luck to everyone and i hope everybody has a safe injury free season. Good luck to your son and his team this year Mr. Dorminy they look as strong as they did last year and i know they are looking to repeat, so good luck with that. Hope he enjoys his season as all the recuiting for him is done with no pressures to perform but to enjoy it as a senior.
Tom,

Our Coach addresses this at the Parent Team meeting that occurs annuallyafter tryouts. He has no problem with Parents looking in at practice but any thing that would interefere is not condoned. As is the requirement during games, no parent to player contact is allowed.

However, the "unwritten" rule and the preference of the players, is that parents don't need to be there for practices. Parents are no longer involved in the "process" at this level so it's time to "turn loose" and let the player/Coaches dynamics occur as they will at all levels from here on out. Viewing the one scheduled "practice" game allowed annually, is encouraged! During the year, a dad/mom occassionally may catch 10-15mins of a practice while on Campus, and that's ok!
Prime9 , thanks for feedback . I agree that parents should be seen and not heard We let our coach , coach and the kids play .I gave up anything but advice after practice when Jr.made varsity , I still
work with the pitchers, but only when asked . Panthers2001 , thanks for the kudos , and good luck to your kids on the upcoming season . As Ernie Banks would say , let's play 2 !!!
quote:
Originally posted by Prime9:
Tom,

Our Coach addresses this at the Parent Team meeting that occurs annuallyafter tryouts. He has no problem with Parents looking in at practice but any thing that would interefere is not condoned. As is the requirement during games, no parent to player contact is allowed.

However, the "unwritten" rule and the preference of the players, is that parents don't need to be there for practices. Parents are no longer involved in the "process" at this level so it's time to "turn loose" and let the player/Coaches dynamics occur as they will at all levels from here on out. Viewing the one scheduled "practice" game allowed annually, is encouraged! During the year, a dad/mom occassionally may catch 10-15mins of a practice while on Campus, and that's ok!

As much as I would like to watch I stay away. My son is a freshman with a chance to play varsity. He told me the players laugh at the dads that come to watch - that reinforced what is mentioned above. It's time to let em go.
Last year, Our first year coach conducted a one on one parent/player meeting with the whole coaching staff which I think was very helpful on what are the expectations from the player/parent during the season. Looking back as a parent of a freshman who made varsity, I wished we were more prepared in asking more questions and getting more feedback. Our feeling was " We were just glad to be there." We are looking forward to this meeting again after the try-outs are done granted he makes the team again. We also plan on providing and getting more feedback.

What are your experiences regarding varsity players being brought down to JV the year after? I know it is not common but has happened so I always tell my son to always do his best to stay where you are and not be complacent. There is always someone working hard to get your spot so he has to work harder than anyone. I'm glad he's still listening to my advice.

Lastly, definitely stay away from practice except the occasional glimpse.
RR23 Smile
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:
He told me the players laugh at the dads that come to watch

Wow..tough crowd.

I agree that parents should be seen and not heard but I don't think 'letting go' means you can't be around 'watching' sometimes...I was never my son's coach. Consequently, I don't feel a need to 'help' him or his teammates. I just do what I've always done...watch and enjoy....

I suspect too many dads come to help and offer advice... Razz
Perhaps we should return the good old days when there were np parents/coaches meetings---the coach was the King and what he did and said was what happened--no interference and as I look around now I see no harm to any of the players--in fact they may have matured quicker than the kids today---no meetings then no BS from parents and no more "my son my son" stuff

Think about it
quote:
What are your experiences regarding varsity players being brought down to JV the year after?

Ryanrod.... Congrats to your boy! I've never seen a player sent down to JV after having been a Varsity player, even as a Freshman. I have seen players cut in their Senior year... that get's some attention!!

Our Coach sends out his "Baseball" letter to prospective families in about October. It addresses the team selections, expectations, Spring break commitment and his policies regarding Summer H.S. ball and Travel teams. In that letter he always says that" Freshman and Sophomores WILL NOT be selected to the Varsity squad unless he feels they will be able to get substantial playing time." On the surface that makes sense but he always seems to violate that statement by placing a Freshman or two on the squad (generally pitchers) who many never set foot on the field. Seems a waste to me but they do periodically get dispatched down to a JV game for a start here and there.

Through my 23yr. association with our School, I've seen a "few" Freshman "phenoms" make Varsity. Some have more than justified their early success by continuing on to successful College and , a couple of times, Pro careers. Just as many, however, are no longer major contributors by the time they reach their Senior year and don't play beyond High School. Keeping your son grounded and focused, is indeed very wise! I'd prefer seeing a good young player playing on JV than "riding the pine" on the Varsity squad.
Last edited by Prime9
quote:
Originally posted by MarlinsMS_35:
We played a scrimmage game in an umpire training clinic. We beat one of lower end teams in our district 10-0. I pitched one inning and 2 Ks on 1 H, 0 BB, 0 R. Our official pre-season starts Feb. 10th. Regular season on the 16th.

Good for you, keep up the good work!
warningtrack , our kids have too much respect for adults to be making fun of them . they also are too busy practicing to notice parents who sometimes siop by to watch . parents who also fund raise , have cookouts , ferry them to and from practice , games , team functions , and in my case their AAU coach . regardless of other teams policies , our team has no problem with parents watching . good luck on eveybody's upcoming season .
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Dorminy:
warningtrack , our kids have too much respect for adults to be making fun of them . they also are too busy practicing to notice parents who sometimes siop by to watch . parents who also fund raise , have cookouts , ferry them to and from practice , games , team functions , and in my case their AAU coach . regardless of other teams policies , our team has no problem with parents watching . good luck on eveybody's upcoming season .

Please read the above again. It sure comes accross as your kids are better than ours. And to say they don't notice because they are busy practicing implies that our kids are not practicing. I hope I am wrong..........

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.