Skip to main content

This year's North Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association All-Star Game will be played on Sunday, June 13 at Grand Prairie's QuikTrip Park at 1pm. Come out and see some of the area's best seniors compete. Stay for the AirHoggs game at 6pm.
West
Pitchers: Tyler Nurdin-FW Paschal, Noah Snydergard-Mansfield Legacy, Austin Kubitza-Colleyville Heritage,Tony Rizotti-Arl. Martin
Catchers: Kevin Alexander-Denton Guyer, Christ Rekieta-Mansfield Summit
1B: Wesley Roberson-Kennedale, Tyler Ervine-FW Southwest
2B: Wade Stramp-Keller, Kevin Conrad-Arl. Heights
3B: Chance Massa-FM Marcus, Connor Brockenbush-Grapevine
SS: Paul Hendrix-Birdville, Ryan Walker-Arl. Martin
OF: Colton Brown-Haltom, Gage Grady-LD Bell, Justin Watson-Burleson, Ty Taylor-Cleburne, Rylan Patel-Colleyville Heritage, Sean Landers-Southlake
DH: Chris Hardey-Richland
Coaches: Ronnie Powers-Arl. Sam Houston, Ross Taylor-Cleburne
East
Pitchers: James Baune-Heath, Brandon Pierce-Gunter, Robert Huber-Plano West, Kyle Nelson-Frisco Centennial
Catchers: Greg McCall-Wakeland, Richard Cavagnolo-Creekview
1B: Lance Warren-Hebron, Chase Weaver-Richardson
2B: Trevor Holland-Heath, Colby Cottingame-Palmer
3B: Tanner Kalina-Jesuit, Garrett Kilgore-Frisco Centennial
SS: Estevan Hernandez-South Garland, Brett Johnson-Plano
OF: Ryan Bowers-Wylie, Zach Walker-Midlothian, Connor Tobias-Mesquite, Christian Cline-Richardson, Blake Parker- Plano West, Cameron Bodell-Lake Highlands
DH: JD DeLoach-Rockwall
Coaches:Jay Johnson-Palmer, Kyle Hope-Richardson
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by HRKB:
How is it that Flower Mound first baseman hits well over .500 for the year in a tough district like 6-5A, is the 6-5A MVP, and does not make this team? I'm sure there are many well deserving players. Just curious how they go about selecting the players.

Because selection panel don't like flower mound parents and their kids.
quote:
Originally posted by Diablo con Huevos:
HRKB- because they didn't ask the 1b daddy, from Flower Mound... had they asked his dadddy.. then the 1b from Flower Mound would have started in CF, SS, 1B and hit cleanup too... and would have been the starting pitcher as well....

Diablo: This is really unfair to the FM 1b, who is a good kid, and his father, a high quality person. I do have experience with them, in summer ball, and that experience is completely inconsistent with any suggestion that they are complainers, or that the father unreasonably promotes his son. Do you have experience otherwise?
Haltom outfielder almost steals the All-Star show for the West

By DREW DAVISON

Special to the Star-Telegram

GRAND PRAIRIE -- In the fifth inning of the North Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Game, Haltom outfielder Colton Brown made an eye-opening, diving catch in deep left field to save two runs.

Cleburne coach Ross Taylor, who was coaching the West squad, thought that would be the play of the game, since the West held onto a 4-2 lead at the time.

Everybody else did, too, as Brown got a standing ovation when he trotted back to the dugout.

But the East rallied for four runs in the seventh inning and went on to a 6-4 victory on Sunday afternoon at QuikTrip Park.

Still, the talk in the West dugout after the game centered on Brown's impressive catch.

"It was hit pretty deep by the wall and I just laid out and caught it in my palm," said Brown, who has signed to play at Cisco College. "It was a big catch because of the base runners, and it felt good."

Said Taylor: "Just a great catch. I probably jinxed it because I was telling the guys in the dugout that might be the play of the game. We just got some balls up late in the game and they took advantage."

Indeed, the East came to life in the seventh inning with four runs. Trailing 4-2, it took the lead, highlighted by back-to-back doubles from Plano West outfielder Blake Parker and Frisco Wakeland catcher Greg McCall.

And the West squad never threatened after that, as Brandon Pierce, a Nebraska signee from Class 2A Gunter, shut them down the final 21/3 innings.

"How about that 2A kid?" Taylor said. "He was the real deal."

The West took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning on Fort Worth Southwest first baseman Tyler Ervine's RBI single to right.

After the East tied the game with a run in the second, the West seemed to pull away with three runs in the fifth. With two outs and runners at first and second, Birdville shortstop Paul Hendrix reached on a fielding error. The next batter, Denton Guyer catcher Kevin Alexander, then roped a three-run double to left field.

The East squad, of course, made its comeback in the seventh. Palmer second baseman Colby Cottingame was named the game's most valuable player.

"You'd like to win, but it's just a fun deal," Taylor said. "You don't coach any of these guys, although you know about them. So, it's fun and you just want to make sure everyone gets in the game."

East 6, West 4

Read more: Star-Telegram.com
Last edited by HaltomScout
quote:
Originally posted by The Voice of Reason:
quote:
Originally posted by Diablo con Huevos:
HRKB- because they didn't ask the 1b daddy, from Flower Mound... had they asked his dadddy.. then the 1b from Flower Mound would have started in CF, SS, 1B and hit cleanup too... and would have been the starting pitcher as well....

Diablo: This is really unfair to the FM 1b, who is a good kid, and his father, a high quality person. I do have experience with them, in summer ball, and that experience is completely inconsistent with any suggestion that they are complainers, or that the father unreasonably promotes his son. Do you have experience otherwise?

Diablo just likes to assume the worse in people...He doesn't know the kids dad but still talks trash about him on this site! I couldn't even tell you who the kids parents are because I have never met them. However the kid is so humble and unassuming that he probably doesn't get the credit he deserves. I have not seen better numbers at the plate from anyone in the state of Texas! I am sure that everyone on the list deserves to be there. I just think that this kid was overlooked!
Last edited by HRKB

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.