Skip to main content

I have 2 questions. Both are probably naive but could someone help clear up some confusion about recruiting?

First, at a recruiting seminar at UVa a couple weeks ago I understood the Virginia coach say that the only communication coaches can have with recruits prior to June 1 of their junior year is sending camp information. I may have misunderstood, but if this is correct how can a 10th grader commit to a school and vise versa?

Second, I have gotten conflicting information on how schools can divide up their 11.7 scholarships. One coach said the minimum scholarship is 25%. Another said they can break them up any way they want. Any insights?

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you get any baseball money at all, it must be at least 25% under the new rules.

I think no more than 27 players may divide up the 11.7.

Other than that, it's a jigsaw puzzles for the program to fit together year after year.

As to communications, the following are legal at any time:

"Unofficial" visits -- you pay your own way to their campus. They can provide game tickets for player and up to 2 parents, but nothing more. While you stand on their soil, the two of you can talk as long as there is mutual interest.

Camps-- serve as a form of unofficial visit.

E-mail -- virtually no limits. If you write, they can respond, ad infinitum. (This is the primary means of communication.)

Phone -- they cannot dial the phone to you. But you can call them, and if they answer, you can talk as long as both sides are willing. If you leave a message, they cannot call back. Most calls are arranged by e-mail, for the player to call at a specific time.

As of July 1 following junior year/prior to senior year, there are many other ways that you can legally communicate. Team can call up to once/week. "Official" visits (travel costs paid for the player). Etc.

Colleges can scout during showcases, tournaments and high school games except during the recruiting blackout periods. They cannot speak to player or parents off campus, but they can watch, evaluate and gather info. If interest is there, they can set up a visit and then try to sell the player. This process is leading to early handshake deals with increasing frequency. The NLI's signed in Nov. of senior year are written confirmation of deals already struck, sometimes many months earlier or even over a year earlier.
Last edited by Midlo Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.