Skip to main content

The 2011 season of the DFW Metro Scout League is right around the corner. The league consist of 8 teams that play wood bat baseball at the 4plex at The Ballfields at Craig Ranch in McKinney, Texas from September 11th to October 9th. Over the last 4 years, we have had over 300 coaches or scouts attend our 18U league games, which is the most in Texas fall baseball.

For the 18U group, we will have an estimated 176 Seniors and Juniors from around the metroplex play in our league. The only way to get in is by invitation or pro scout recommendation. The second route is to attend the tryout at the Craig Ranch 4plex on Sunday, August 21 at 5pm.

For the 16U group, we will have an estimated 120 sophomores and incoming freshman play in the same type of format as the 18U's. We will have a college coach scout each player and offer a "grade" so you can review how you stack up against other players in the league. The tryout dates and times are the same for the 15-16U's.

Teams are mixed with personnel from all types of teams from around the metroplex. Our teams represent 8 clubs from MLB: Pirates, Rockies, A's, Blue Jays, Royals, Reds, Marlins, and Orioles.

This league is about the kids and showcasing their skills. Kids are allowed to steal bases on their own, to show their speed. Kids are allowed to drag bunt, swing on 3-0, basically do what they need to do to show their skills.

The cost to play is $675 per player for the 18U league and $575 for the 16U league.

If you have a question, please contact us via email:
Cade Griffis (cade@dbat.net)
Sam Carpenter (samc1942@swbell.net)
Shayne Currin (scurrin@tx.rr.com)

www.dfwmetroscoutleague.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Annual questions about the league:

1. Are the MSL tryouts and DBAT Mustangs tryouts related? NO. Our DBAT Mustangs tryouts for Summer 2012 is in November. You can visit our website in a month or two at www.dbatmustangs.com for tryout details. The MSL tryout is for kids that want to play 18u and 16u league play in September and October.

2. Do college coaches attend the 16U games. YES. We pay a college coach to man each field (4 total) and "scout" each game. The coach rates each player and we give a 5 week score at the end of the season, so you see where you stack up in the eyes of a college coach. We have also had a few college guys come in and watch before the 18u games, so they can get a peek at future players.

3. Do you supply water? No.

4. Do you have umpires? Yes.

5. If a 16U kid is tearing up the 16U league, do you move him up? Yes. We have had 16U guys fill in on the 18U games when we can. We want to help our Juniors and Seniors first, then the younger guys.

6. If I dont play for the DBAT Mustangs, can I still play. YES! This is not a DBAT Mustang league. We have kids from other teams, other organizations, kids from other states play. This is a league for EVERYONE to show their skills.

7. Is this a wood bat league for 18U? Yes. For 16U, it is metal.

8. How many innings does my son pitch each Sunday? For 18U, each pitcher is on a 2 inning or 40 pitch max limit. Coaches and Scouts tell us that is what they want to see, so we do it. For 16U 2-4 innings depeneding on the circumstances.

9. Do you chart the velocities for the 18U pitchers? Yes. We have a velo chart for each field. Kids and coaches frequently review the sheets. Moms and Dads are NOT invited to review the sheets.

If you have any more questions, please contact me at scurrin@tx.rr.com, or call me at 214 551 1979.

During the week of August 22, MSL players will be contacted by their MSL coach. They will be informed of what team they are on and also about our MSL meeting on Sunday, August 28 at DBAT Allen, located at 505 Century Parkway Suite 150 .

At the meeting, we will pass out shirts and caps and also verify information for our scout books.

The 16U group will meet at 5pm. The 18U group will meet at 630pm.

The MSL schedule for 16U and 18U is up. 18U Rosters will be posted before 9/9.

Any questions, shoot ma a PM or email me at scurrin@tx.rr.com
Last edited by catcher
Just a quick update on MSL tryouts.

1. Local college coaches run our 18U MSL tryouts and choose the remaining candidates.

2. If you can help us locate a fungoman for our tryout, shoot me a PM.

3. Depending on the amount of kids that show up, we will use all 4 fields at Craig Ranch. We seperate the 18U's so the tryout runs efficiently.

4. There is no fee for the tryout.

5. Once again, if you have a question, shoot me a PM or shoot me an email.
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
quote:
Originally posted by Catcherz_Dad:
Anyone attend the MSL tryouts yesterday? And if so, how was the turnout?

I attended the MSL tryouts, turnout was around 65 for 17-18's and looked to be about the same for 16's. Very well run, took about 1.5 hrs for 16's and just under 2hrs to evaluate the 17-18's.

Nice. Thanks, Out in LF.
quote:
Originally posted by catcher:
Annual questions about the league:

7. Is this a wood bat league for 18U? Yes. For 16U, it is metal.

Question about the 16U league. This says the league is metal bats. The info we received with the invite says wood bats.

Which is it?

We have one of the new composites which is half wood and half metal. You just turn the bat over depending on which league you are in! Not sure if it is BBCOR certified!
By this Thursday night, MSL players will be contacted by their MSL coach. They will be informed of what team they are on and also about our MSL meeting on Sunday, August 28 at DBAT Allen, located at 505 Century Parkway Suite 150 .

*If you are not contacted by Thursday at 10pm, please shoot me an email at scurrin@tx.rr.com and I will investigate.

At the meeting, we will pass out shirts and caps and also verify information for our scout books.

The 16U group will meet at 5pm. The 18U group will meet at 630pm.

The MSL schedule for 16U and 18U is up. 18U Rosters will be posted before 9/9.

Any questions, shoot ma a PM or email me at scurrin@tx.rr.com
quote:
Originally posted by KCR:
Just finished all the Rosters for the 8 teams in the Metro Scout League. And I counted we have kids from 22 different organizations and around 50 different cities such as Tulsa, OK City, Amarillo, El Paso, Lubbock, Midland, Wichita Falls, Austin, Waco, Sherman, Texarkana, and all over East Texas.

Should we still expect a call tonight?
quote:
Originally posted by iluvgoodbaseball:
Geez this is not the lottery guys or like waiting around on draft day to see if your sons name will be called. It is fall baseball. Have some patience.

There was some confusion early on with Jr and his registration. I am not able to attend the meeting Sunday, so I was only attempting to make sure everything was as it should be prior to Jr showing up. Patience wasn't the issue.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.