Skip to main content

Led by some of the top high school baseball coaches in the 757, the 2012 Best of the 757 Baseball Showcase will include athletic testing and a baseball skills showcase in which athletes will show off their pitching, fielding and hitting talents in front of invited scouts and college coaches.

Date: Sunday, August 26th, 2012

Best of the 757 - Baseball Preview

Click Here for More Info and to Register
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

COACHES LEADING THE EVENT:
SEAN TOWNSEND, GREAT BRIDGE
CHRIS DOTOLO, NORFOLK ACADEMY
TIM HUMMEL, CAPE HENRY
BRUCE HAGWOOD, CAPE HENRY
CHRIS KEENAN, ODU HITTERS SUMMER TEAM
ROB YOUNCE, EVOSHIELD CANES SHOWCASE TEAM, ASSOCIATE SCOUT FOR THE NY YANKEES

WE DO NOT INVITE A TON OF COLLEGE COACHES, BUT THE EVENT PROVIDES A 3RD PARTY/INDEPENDENT ASSESSMENT THAT CAN VOUCH FOR AN ATHLETE'S ATHLETIC ABILITY AND SKILL-LEVEL AND RECEIVE EXPOSURE FROM VIRGINIAPREPS.COM.

HOPE THIS HELPS, BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.
Not sure how the 757 went (heard some opinions). I hope the showcase went well. But I have seen on this board how the 17 year old PG event and the Commonwealth Games directors could do a better job at de-conflicting the schedules... We cant even do this in our own back yard. The ODU showcase had at least 150 kids maybe more over the past two days. That is 155 sets of parents who believed that haveing their kids showcase to college coaches was far more important to showcasing to High School coaches. Why cant we get our own stuff together in the Tidewater?
quote:
Originally posted by VirginiaPreps.com:
Here is our recap of the event with a link to our photo feature. Both items are free to read/view! Great event - thanks to all the coaches that assisted and to the particpants.

Best of the 757 event features

I am sure you had some good players there. The Berczek kid is legit. My comment/ question is why would the 757 directors have a showcase the same weekend the ODU coaches would have their showcase. Do you not see the problem with this?
The fastest 60 time was 6.88?

To put that in perspective, we had half a dozen kids at our Cardinals tryouts run faster times. Was this a slow track? I know some areas had rain over the weekend.

Also, the report indicates that someone ran a 3.09 in the "first half of the 60", that is, out of the blocks and then 30 yards. This has to be a typo somewhere. For one thing, if you could go 3.09 for the FIRST 30, your total time would be sub-6.00. For another, anyone doing that would be on his way to the next Olympics.
Hey Guys -

We definitely appreciate all of the feedback and comments. Unfortunately and our apologies, there was a typo/mistake with the 30-time ... it should have been 3.9 for this athlete. The fastest 30-yd dash was actually 3.79 run by Justin Erby. Regarding your other comments - the track/field was definitely a little slower, possibly due to the light rain at times yesterday. Harbor Park was a great venue, however, and we look to continue to do the event there and hope to coordinate less conflicting days/times for the athletes. Thanks again for all of the feedback.

Regards,

John & Tim, Co-Directors
quote:
My comment/ question is why would the 757 directors have a showcase the same weekend the ODU coaches would have their showcase. Do you not see the problem with this?

I can answer this one, because the answer is simply, no.

There are events going on all sorts of places every weekend. There are always going to be conflicts. In the end, you choose the one that suits your needs best and you miss the other one.

ODU recruits from all over, not just in your area. And not everyone in your area is pursuing ODU. The overlap is much, much smaller than you might think.

In any event, at some other weekend, there might be a showcase here and a tournament there. The showcase might be in Norfolk and the tournament might be, e.g., in Blacksburg. And yet you might find the ODU coaches scouting in Blacksburg. They go where they need to go to see who they want to see. It's not as provincial as your question suggests you may think it is.
Here is our "best of the event" report - warning - this one is pay per view (we have to do some of those in order to pay the bills!). If you are not yet a subscriber, you can try (sign up today or tomorrow) our 30 day free trial subscription offer- sign-up and cancel anytime within the 30 days and owe nothing. Great deal, the best we have ever offered!

Over 50 players from around the 757 attended the Best of the 757 Baseballevent and 10 prospects were recognized for the 757 All-Camp team presented here

Best of the 757 All Camp Team!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.