Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I get the feeling this article has Boras’s fingerprints all over it.

Rumor around the Bucs network is the Pirates are not going to put themself in a situation where they would go over the 5% cap that is allowed. If they did so they would lose first round pick next year and just as importantly (to a small market team) a chance for one of the lottery picks.

While Appel is a great talent the feeling is that next year’s draft is looking to be even deeper, if the Bucs lose Appel they might do just as well with the extra pick next year even though they would have lost a year of development time with Appel.

If Appel goes back to Stanford because he loves the college experience then that’s one thing however I'm not sure what he would have to gain financially. The chance of him being able to be drafted in a position to sign for more than the estimated $3.8M that is being thrown out this year is pretty dicey. I don’t know if it’s true but if Appel/Boras really did turn down $6M from the Astro’s in a pre-draft deal I’m afraid Mr. Boras is going to have some explaining to do.

Should be an exciting next few days leading up to the deadline.
Last edited by jerseydad
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote jerseydad.

I did get a chance to meet Appel's parents at a tailgate. Nice folks...weekend before draft...seemed nervous and I couldn't figure out why?...maybe this was/is the reason?

It would seem to me that signing now and getting closer to starting the free agent clock ticking by reaching the big leagues would be most important. But I learned a long time ago that things can look a lot different when you're actually "in the situation" than when you're looking at it from the outside.

He's obviously a very smart young man...and his family seemed quite smart themselves...I am sure they'll make the best decision for themselves.

Still, I expect he will sign at nor near the deadline.
Last edited by justbaseball
Posturing 101. What would he do next year when an offer could be lower because he has less leverage. I know I'm totally naive about this but why would anyone let Scott Boras lead them down this road. I really believe that Boras cares more about his reputation than he does his clients. Did he really think teams were going give in to him and lose a draft pick just because he's Scott Boras?

Take the $3.8M, play baseball and prove yourself just like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
With the new CBA in place, the new early signing date in place forcing players to choose earlier to return to school or sign how do you think this will bode for players NOT drafted that may be looking to sign a NDFA deal this summer?

Pros/Cons...??

YGD

I am not really understanding what you are asking.

I heard that the Astros stayed away from Appel because of his demands.

I agree with you JB, the whole object at this time is to work towards starting the clock. With teams bringing up young players earlier and earlier than they ever have, this would be the perfect time to become a professional.

The player is getting older, injury should be a huge factor.
Last edited by TPM
For a draft eligible player who was not drafted in June, how does the new CBA and signing date affect this kind of player who may be looking to be picked up via NDFA contract this summer?

Do either of these together or alone increase a players chance to be seen and picked up say versus last years bonus plans and August signing date? Personally I was thinking that perhaps a July 13th signing date quite possibly could force or pressure a player to return to school thus increasing teams to find players to fill roster spots. Again, this is only what I think. Im not a rocket scientist nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn lately.
I don't think it (early deadline) will affect FA as much as less 10 rounds did. There are rules for what makes a player a free agent and not getting drafted and no eligiblity left is one, that is why non drafted seniors are free agents. Any player that is still not drafted and eligible for the next years draft cannot sign as a free agent.

Who makes out here, IMO are those pro players on the bubble and those players looking for late college offers.
YGD, I think you're probably right. With 10 less rounds and fewer HS players signing I would imagine that many teams are going to need players to fill rosters.

It's going to be interesting to see how the new draft policy changes both the professional and college games. By taking away a teams ability to try to sign the "sign-ability" HS guys in the middle rounds I would imagine there are going to be quite few guys going to college that would have signed in previous years.
quote:
Originally posted by JMoff:
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
The Royals signed a HS senior who went undrafted at the WWBA 18U last week.

I didn't think that was legal. Is that new to the new CBA? Is there a $100K (or other) limit on the bonus?

Yes it is, I thought that YGD was refering to college players. As long as the HS player has not begun classes at a 4 year or 2 year institution he can be a FA.
I remember that after Matt Weiters was not drafted teams went after him.

I just don't get why a HS player would sign as a FA with a team, unless he had no college commitment offered.

JMO
Last edited by TPM
YGD,
I have never heard of this situation personally, but according to my understanding after research a college player that was eligible and not drafted may return to college or sign as a free agent.

With that said, I still believe that if there is a shortage of players, teams will keep their current staff rather than sign free agents that were over looked in the draft (not seniors).

I guess the reasons why you don't hear about it often is because it just makes no sense. For anyone considering that as an option, fully understand the implications of free agency and committment on the teams part. Most likely the player is much better continuing his education while playing and improving his chances of being drafted the next year, rather than sitting the bench.
After my son's junior year, and not hearing his name called for the draft, he was approached over the phone by an individual with connections that indicated he could get him a FA deal.

I believe that is similar to what YoungGunDad is asking about. And it only seems to make sense that with fewer rounds, and a shorter signing period, that more opportunities may exist this year than did last year.

Last edited by floridafan
quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
I noticed that every kid from AZ that was drafted in the first 20 rounds has signed except for two. One in the 17th and one in the 18th. How the economy is running may be a bigger factor. AZ is still taking it on the chin, economy wise.

Why would a college player drafted in the first 20 rounds NOT begin his pro career.

Especially one that has won a CWS championship.
Last edited by TPM
Both Stanford and Appel have announced that he is returning to The Farm.

I have all kinds of opinions about that decision, but I won't share them since I learned long ago that 'being in the situation' is different than looking at it from the outside.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I met his parents during the Regionals at a tailgate. Very clearly smart folks who had lot of apprehension just a few days before the draft.

They had their reasons, whatever they were...I have to respect anyone who doesn't bow to pressure. They (parents and son) are the only ones who have to live with their decision...ultimately.

Many years ago, as a fan, I was very definitely on the side of the owners and not sympathetic to the 'greedy ballplayers.' Having had a look somewhat from the 'inside,' that view has changed considerably.

I wish the Appels only the very best.
Last edited by justbaseball
Boras found a loophole in the rules of the ML draft that let him go play for an independent league. Leave it to Boras.

Everyone makes their decisions based upon what is best in their situation.

My views have changed as well, however, I would not have advised my son to turn down 3.8 with the chance of being on a ML 25 man roster this year or next. For me this is about being able to remain healthy, that may be the most money he will ever see. People don't realize how far behind you get when you are injured and not on a ML roster.

This was a down draft year, next year he will have better competition to be up against and be a year older.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As I always said, if it is about the bonus money go to school if it isn't about the money go start your professional career.
Last edited by Swampboy
Found this article on Matt Harrington...Good piece of journalism.

I had no clue who he was, so it was a good read for me. All the best to Appel. I think everyone has a decision that's best for them and their family, and he's made it. We can speculate all we want, but like others have said, it was his decision to make. We can't begin to understand the situation in its entirety.
quote:
Originally posted by mstcks:
Found this article on Matt Harrington...Good piece of journalism.

Bill Harrington learned a hard lesson on dealing with people who are basically strangers with his kid's future. But hey, what's done is done and you move on. With that kind of money being thrown around, if I didn't understand the business of baseball, I would've learned real fast and if it were my kid, no way I'd be letting him go at it alone and solely relying on a stranger to decide my kid's future. I am much smarter than that. I get the sense, these peeps think the player works for the agent when it's the other way around. Unfortunately, when you're uninformed, you are at the mercy of others who may not have your best interest in mind.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.