Skip to main content

Our high school has recently had one of our 2011 pitchers accept a scholarship and it was listed on the Perfect Game web site. While looking for it I came across the following announcement for a 2013 player2013 player

2013 OF to Central Florida

10/28/2010 11:40:00 AM

2013 LHP Eugene Vasquez (Orlando, FL) has committed to the University of Central Florida. Vasquez, ranked No. 3 in the state of Florida and No. 17 nationally in the 2013 class, is a very good athlete and his all around ability needs to be watched closely.

My question is how can he already commit when schools are prohibited from talking to 2013's until next September? Is he committing as a walk on?Additionally, I didn't think that they can make scholarship offers until July preceeding the athletes senior year? Can someone please explain this process to me?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No one has answered this one yet, so I will.
A coach can't call or email a player directly that soon, but if a coach wants to get an early offer to a player, there are lots of ways he can do it. It often begins with the college coach talking to the player's travel coach, and things evolve from there. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say this kid is definitely not a walk-on.

You can do a search here on "early commitment" or "early verbal" and there are a lot of scenarios.
Last edited by 2Bmom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.