Skip to main content

EvoShield Canes RHP JB Bukauskas (Stonebridge) commits to UNC. JB was a big part of the Canes' 15u WWB runner up finish. Congrats to JB and family.

===============
@robyounce & @seethegear on Twitter & Instagram

WWBA World Champions (Jupiter) - 2013, 2014, 2015

17u PG World Series - 2013

17u WWB Champions - 2014

16u WWB Champions - 2013, 2010, 2009

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I remember when my 2008 son went through the recruiting pipeline. The very first offers made to even the most elite players in his class, nationwide, started in November of his junior year (2006), or less than 1 1/2 years before graduation.

Now you have guys committing 15 months ahead of that time table.

That rates a "WOW".
In Polansky's case, he is a very talented player...lots of fast twitch. The talent is evident. Also, Coach Hughes' son plays for the EvoCanes so he was able to watch Stephen all summer. Finally, VT has gotten more verbals from underclassmen this year than in the past, which tells me they are trying to lock up kids earlier to compete with the rest of the ACC. Either you adapt or become irrelevant. Congrats to VT for adapting.
Last edited by redbird5
quote:
Originally posted by joemktg:
So I guess we need to sit down with 2016 joemktgson and start targeting schools. Think it will be safe to wait until February to do this, when he has 6 months of HS under his belt? Wink

Joemktg, you may already be years behind. Berryberrygoodson2017 has already been talking to several ACC and SEC programs. (Won't be long before this is thought to be the "new norm," the way things are going!)
quote:
Finally, VT has gotten more verbals from underclassmen this year than in the past, which tells me they are trying to lock up kids earlier to compete with the rest of the ACC. Either you adapt or become irrelevant. Congrats to VT for adapting.

Well, it is about time. It sounds like VT may have finally figured it out. I don't think there has been a lack of interest by recruits over the last bunch of years and there has not been a lack of talent in the state over the last bunch of years. VT does recruit some talented players, but they've lacked depth that better ACC teams have. Hopefully the idea of competing for younger talented recruits to keep pace with competition will stick with the program.
I don't think there's been any lack of effort in the past. I do think the team's steady improvement in quality of play, players getting drafted into the pros, new investments in facilities, etc., are all turning heads with kids.

The fact of the matter is, Va. Tech is a school a lot of kids grow up dreaming about attending. Maybe their parents went there, maybe they love the idea of being in a stadium with 70,000 of their closest fans 6 times each fall for the rest of their lives, but the reality is that VT has a lot of advantages in recruiting. Now that they are consistently competitive in the ACC, it's only natural that players respond accordingly.

I can also tell you, with each passing year the number of players and former players who are out there singing the praises of Coach Hughes grows. That makes an impression. Everyone likes the head guy when they are being romanced during recruiting. When the players still love and respect him after 4 years of working with him daily, it means a lot.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Pete Hughes is a class act, an outstanding coach and a good friend. He had 50 years of catching up to do against other ACC schools -- or as long as the Hokies should have been in the ACC but were not. It is no surprise he is making progress. Midlo is right. Hokie roots run deep in the Commonwealth and there are lots of talented players and their families who want to be part of the Virginia Tech baseball rebirth. Pete is making that very possible.
I've got a son 2017... and am very curious what the likelihood of these schools altering their commitments - as in how much, etc??

Surely there will be pitchers who develop surprisingly between their Sophomore and Senior year who these teams wish they would be able to offer the scholarship to, vs the kid they offered before hie sophomore season?

Wish and hope someone tracks this and can provide facts that should be available to all families with an interest.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.