Skip to main content

As long as this thread is running, can someone educate me here? Thought (for D1 at least) coaches cant reach out to players for recruitment purposes till after July 1 of rising senior summer. Yet I see on PG web site at least 13 or more 2015's already committed to Duke, for example. How is this worked - a verbal committment off the premises, a third party facilitating this, etc.? Dont know how this is accomplished...

Originally Posted by Momof2015:

As long as this thread is running, can someone educate me here? Thought (for D1 at least) coaches cant reach out to players for recruitment purposes till after July 1 of rising senior summer. Yet I see on PG web site at least 13 or more 2015's already committed to Duke, for example. How is this worked - a verbal committment off the premises, a third party facilitating this, etc.? Dont know how this is accomplished...

Through a proxy (travel coaches) is the usual way.

Originally Posted by Momof2015:

Ahhh...is it made official by the college making an announcement, or other means?

The college will not officially announce their recruiting class until after the NLI is signed in November senior year. That is what makes it official for D1 schools.

But soon after the verbal commitment, Twitter is usually abuzz by the player's own announcement.

Mom,

I would suggest you go through the old threads under the Recruiting header.

There are all sorts of communications that are permissible, though what's allowed and what's not changes as the player moves through his high school years.  That is, just because there are restrictions doesn't mean no one ever talks to anyone at all.  There is not a total ban on discussions.  And while it may go through a player's travel or high school coaches, it doesn't have to.

Given that your son is a rising senior, time is short.  He (not you) needs to get informed and get on the stick.

Originally Posted by BucsFan:

2 recent 2016 commits from Loudoun County:

- Austin Rader, LHP, Woodgrove HS committed to Navy (his dream school...wants to be a SEAL...Godspeed!)

- Clayton Baine, MIF, Paul VI HS committed to Radford

Perfect for Austin! If there was ever a student athlete that fit the Naval Academy profile, it's him.

Great stuff for Clayton. A terrific young man that will add significant value to the RU program.

2016 EvoShield Canes who have committed to date:

Jalen Harrison, STAB, Virginia

Garrett Stalllings, Grassfield, Tennessee

Joe Rizzo, Oakton, South Carolina

Zach Hess, Liberty Christian, Va Tech

Forest Smith, Midlothian, William & Mary

Derek Bjorlo, Nandua, Coastal Carolina

Brenan Hanifee, Turner Ashby, JMU

Carson Henry, Greenbrier Christian, ODU

Originally Posted by BaseballDad757:
Michael Bienlien, 2016 Great Bridge HS, Canes National team commits to South Carolina.   Had the pleasure of coaching Mikey for 3 years.  Tremendous family and kid!!   Also a straight A student!  Well deserved!!!

Michael really showed his stuff at the Jr. Nationals and throughout this season with the Canes. Congrats!

I couldn't be happier for Jake.  

I grew up playing with his uncle who eventually pitched at Va Tech.  That relationship is why I forced him to join me on the NC College Bus Tour.  We had several really talented players on tour.  But everybody knows how those LHP attract coaches!  He sat 85-86 in 2 short sessions at Wake Forest then at Duke.  His pen at Duke was in front of almost every big program in the state of NC.  The following day we visited ECU.  That was his first time on that campus.  Coach Palumbo had seen him from his time at VCU, but this was the first time he'd met Coach Roszel & Coach Godwin.  Godwin spoke to the entire group in the players lounge and showed us the baseball facilities.  Roszel walked us through the academic campus.  I could've told you August 14th where Jake would be going to school!  

This video was taken last winter.  He was probably sitting 80-81.  But as a pitching coach from another D1 program told me 2 days ago, he was "dotting the a$$ of a gnat" and thats what he liked.  Same coach had him on radar in the upper 80's and perhaps touched 90 this fall.

Forgive my long winded commentary.  I usually try to just post the videos of guys I know, but I have a little more personal relationship with him.

Rich

PlayInSchool.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.