Skip to main content

TPM posted:

You dont have to have high draft pics on a team to win championships.

I am a firm believer that team makeup and a purpose is the key as well as going out and enjoying the game every outing.  It appears that is what got CC to Omaha and why they are the champions.

Totally agree, but it helps to have high draft pics (in key positions) and team chemistry.  I don't know how to measure team chemistry, but when you see it you know it.  The last two national champions had it.   The 2015 UVA team was not the their most talented team but they put it together at the right time despite people like me betting against them.  Coastal Carolina was  not an unlikely CWS participant, but winning it all was one of the most unlikely national championship scenarios I can remember in college sports.   JMO.

IMO, a lot of it has to do with buying into what the coach is selling.

In fact let me change that, it has everything to do with buying in.

Yes. It helps to have prospects, but I gave my opinion on those high draft pics being spent out.  

I saw the "buy in" first hand this season. Clemson. They werent even ranked. They had one high draft prospect, Chris Okey.  No one knew the impact Seth Beer would make. They really didnt have any 90+ guys. Everyone said their pitching was eh, no bad really. But Coach Lee had a great buy in philosophy, have fun and remember there are 27 outs, the last 9 being the most important and team unity.

The rest is history.

This is important in the recruiting process, find out what the coaches goals and philosophies are. You would be surprised at the different answers.

If you look at CCU's roster they have a lot of 5'9" to 6' players who can play. They're also grinders. These aren't the prototype players the ACC and the SEC programs look for. Or even MLB. But they can compete.

Did you see Marks with the coach after the game? I believe he worships his coach. He's the leader and heart and soul of the team. If he's buying in, everyone follows.

If you played ten CWS chances are the more talented teams win a majority. Or at least those with top pitching prospects (UVA). But in the right place and time things fall into place for the grinders. If a team is good enough to get to the CWS they're good enough to win.

TPM posted:

You dont have to have high draft pics on a team to win championships.

I am a firm believer that team makeup and a purpose is the key as well as going out and enjoying the game every outing.  It appears that is what got CC to Omaha and why they are the champions.

Same thing is true in High School baseball.  For example, this past spring my son's team won their league by two games.  They had one Pac 12 commit.  The runner up had 3 Pac 12 commits and 4 D1 commits total.   My kid's team had really good team chemistry and a great coaching staff.  The other team, not so much.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.