Skip to main content

fenwaysouth posted:

If I was in your shoes......

Your son has a "hook" with his academics.  If he really wants to play college baseball he should be calling some of these high academic schools to see if they will allow a late application.  If they allow it, I would also reach out to the coach to take his temperature.  No guarantees.  My assumption is the smaller the school, the more flexible they will be.  Yes, it is a tremendous longshot.

The bottom line is your son will be trying to walk-on somewhere if he really wants to play college baseball.  My point is if he reaches out to some of these other schools, it could possibly give him more choices.  Again, he has outstanding academics so use that as leverage. 

The ND scholarship sounds like an outstanding opportunity.   Good luck!

BB, here's a link to a recent post by one of our members who put together his own "D3 Academic-Baseball College Ranking". With your son's grades and ACT score, I would think some of these smaller high-academic schools would have flexibility regarding a late application. Seems like a perfect fit for your son if he would consider those types of schools. Good luck.

http://community.hsbaseballweb...ball-college-ranking

As mentioned, you have until Jan 15 for many many good schools (both D1 and D3) that could be good academic and baseball fits.  Some schools have even later deadlines.  Please consider casting a wider net than the 5 schools you mentioned.

Having been through the process RECENTLY with our older son, a high score, terrific grades, awesome recs, athlete but not recruited, fantastic extra curricular activities and even a "hook" (like the mexican american part but different in our case) - AGAIN, I don't mean to be a negative naysayer here, but even kids with 36s get rejected!  The process is really like a lottery at many schools as they can fill their class over many times with kids with nearly perfect scores and grades and such.  And the so called "easier" schools often reject such a kid as they think they will get in to a "better" school.  There are NO SURE THINGS anymore.  Admissions anywhere is just to tough to be certain.  

Bigbig, I hope you keep us posted on your son's progress.  His story is interesting and I think we'd all learn a lot from how his journey moves forward.  I hope you've enjoyed the ride so far, because many of us would be very happy if our kids had the grades and measurables your son seems to have. I'd be really surprised if he doesn't end up at a school he'd be happy at academically, especially if he has had time to apply to a few more schools.

Thanks to all for your suggestions but Michael has decided to go to The University of California at Santa Barbarbara.   He has a full academic scholarship for engineering.  He was offered scholarships to several other universities, Arizona, Washington, Colorado, and Notre Dame but liked the entrepreneurial spirit  he felt from the west coast.   Hopefully he'll get a look as a walk on.  He is having a good senior year. Hitting .333  and 3 home runs.  

Thanks for coming back and updating us on all your 2017's decision.  And Congrats on your son's choice and decision to go to UCSB.  Great engineering school and gorgeous campus--for the life of me I cannot imagine how any student can find the dedication to go study in the library there when the campus on the ocean is such a distraction!

UCSB has a strong D1 program, so making the team as a tryout will be quite a challenge.  But it is certainly worth trying out, and you never know what can happen between now and the Fall.  No doubt the demands of an engineering major will keep him incredibly busy even without baseball.  But maybe he will get the chance to do both.  Good luck!

Congrats to your son, Bigbigote.   UCSB is a great engineering school.  I have kid there so if you have any questions on logistics etc. feel free to PM me and we'll see if I know the answers -- or better yet, I can ask the kid. 

As has been mentioned walking on at any good D1 baseball program is going to be tough. Another option would be club ball.  I believe UCSB's team is pretty successful. They also have a really good club Ultimate team.

Congratulations to your son!  One of my players went to UCSB and played with their club team... they play at some great places and he had a blast.  As others have mentioned, your son may find it more realistic to go this path as an engineering major at this school.

BTW, I hope "cover all expenses" includes housing.  It's kinda crazy there.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.