Skip to main content

I thought we had a thread for this already but maybe I am thinking of last year.

How is everyone’s season going? The warmer weather states are in full swing already.

Son’s team is a few games above .500 and have a chance to make the state tournament. Should be interesting down the stretch.

My son is a freshman (2021) this year. He’s gotten a few opportunities on varsity and he’s done well so far when given the chance. He’s hoping to earn some more chances.

I think they have 3 games this week. 1 more varsity tomorrow and a JV game on Wednesday before spring break.

Who else has games this week or is starting their season in the northern states?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We are now 8 games into the season and sit 7-1 after losing a tough game to our arch rivals in the championship game of a tourney over the weekend. However, we held on to the #1 spot in the state in the polls. The HC has gotten some weird ideas concerning the pitching staff and has used my 2018 in a reliever role all season. So far, he's thrown 10 innings, allowed 0 hits, 1 earned run (HBP followed by three consecutive walks), struck out 27, walked 9 and hit 4. Hitters are 0-29 against him and only two balls have been put in play, a sac bunt and a chopper to third. After his first rough appearance where he K'd 11 and walked 7 in 4.1 ip, he's calmed down and now struck out 18 of the last 20 batters he's faced and that's been, not against scrubs, but included striking out 10 in a row against the #2 and #5 teams in the state. 

He's also been sitting a solid 90-92/T93. The gun was in the shade, so you can really only read it if you pull the video up on a larger screen and look hard at it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVhSZW9djs

roothog66 posted:

We are now 8 games into the season and sit 7-1 after losing a tough game to our arch rivals in the championship game of a tourney over the weekend. However, we held on to the #1 spot in the state in the polls. The HC has gotten some weird ideas concerning the pitching staff and has used my 2018 in a reliever role all season. So far, he's thrown 10 innings, allowed 0 hits, 1 earned run (HBP followed by three consecutive walks), struck out 27, walked 9 and hit 4. Hitters are 0-29 against him and only two balls have been put in play, a sac bunt and a chopper to third. After his first rough appearance where he K'd 11 and walked 7 in 4.1 ip, he's calmed down and now struck out 18 of the last 20 batters he's faced and that's been, not against scrubs, but included striking out 10 in a row against the #2 and #5 teams in the state. 

He's also been sitting a solid 90-92/T93. The gun was in the shade, so you can really only read it if you pull the video up on a larger screen and look hard at it. 

Joaquin 'Wack' Campos: [after being the first Owl to get a foul tip off of Jimmy's fastball] Got a piece of that one!

cabbagedad posted:
roothog66 posted:

Joaquin 'Wack' Campos: [after being the first Owl to get a foul tip off of Jimmy's fastball] Got a piece of that one!

It's funny you use that quote because it's the first thing that came to mind for me. This was actually against a highly ranked school one classification below us, but we shouldn't have been playing them. Their dugout would go crazy when they fouled one off. They were badly mismatched and knew it. t one point one of the dad's in the stands is yelling at his kid, "Turn on it! Make contact!" Everyone around him laughed and he said, "It could happen."

9-1 and 6-0. We play a league game Thursday and then Saturday, Monday, Tuesday in a tournament over Easter break. Then another league game on Thursday after the tourney. Starting to get a good feel on some things and the best rotations off the bench. Still have a lot of work to do offensively but I think we will get there. Today will be the first day we have been on the field with temps where they normally are around here for this time of year. I am about sick and tired of freezing my butt off. Sunday it snowed 2 inches at my house. Today mid 70's and tomorrow approaching 80. Love this consistently crazy NC weather.

roothog66 posted:

Dalton looked good.  At the plate, the batters were reacting, not getting their motion going early enough.  Good pitching vs poor batting 

First games for my 2018 have been at a tourney in Mytrle Beach at Ripken.  1-3, so not a great start to the season, HC is fine tuning a few things.  Son was in MIF for first three games, with the last two in a double header.  His arm was a bit fatigued going into the 4th game where he was the SP.  Pitch count up to 78 with 54 S, so decent, he was sitting 85-87, first kid picked up a double, he seemed to be working out of the stretch through 4 innings, arm was hurting, they picked up 7 hits and won 8-1... Arm sore, not feeling hot about his performance.  We didn't realize he'd be SP after the previous days dbl hdr.  I would have advised against that...  Definitely not the normal set up for in season play.  He's typically been a closer and manning SS or 3B...  

They're finished and he's now off to Boca Grande for sun and fishing...the life.  I'm stuck in Chicago working...

((Edit: just looked at GC, off a bit:  TP 78, S 49, 20 batters faced, 3K's, 2 BB, lost 9-1))

Last edited by Gov

Jealous to all that have had so many games so far.  Opening day is supposed to be Sat 3/31.  Forecast looks OK so it should happen, unless the field (away) hasn't dried out due to the March snow storms we've had.

My 2019 is the opening day starter, but not sure how many innings he'll go.  He started our first preseason game and went 2 innings on Sat, then only 1 yesterday.  3 IP, 0 WHIP, 6K.  But that count won't help him go deep until mid April, as coach seems more focused on seeing who he has, rather than preparing for the season. Ugh...

My 2021 got to pitch his first varsity game this week.  The weather was bad and he got roughed up a bit in the beginning, but ended up being the WP.  Pitched 5 innings, striking out 5 allowed 1 run... he was exhausted the next day.  The weather has been crazy, we got in 3 games (2-1)since beginning of season.  I'm following the advice I received from parents on this forum to  just enjoy his first season of high school baseball!

JenksMom posted:

My 2021 got to pitch his first varsity game this week.  The weather was bad and he got roughed up a bit in the beginning, but ended up being the WP.  Pitched 5 innings, striking out 5 allowed 1 run... he was exhausted the next day.  The weather has been crazy, we got in 3 games (2-1)since beginning of season.  I'm following the advice I received from parents on this forum to  just enjoy his first season of high school baseball!

Great start to a varsity campaign. Good luck!

Son’s JV season ended last Wednesday. I think they only played 8 games due to rainouts and varsity rescheduling games. 

Varsity has a few games remaining and is probably a game or two above the cut line to make the playoffs. 

We don’t have the pitching depth that we probably need to make a run but we’ll see how it goes. Maybe they can get hot when it counts. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.