Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, this isn't the way we hoped to start his Senior season.   Son was the closer last year.  Obviously on a 11 win team, the closer doesn't throw a lot.   He threw quite a few less innings than he did the previous two years...and only 2 or 3 over the last 10 games.   He had some stiffness the day after throwing, but after having played SS and pitcher since he was 6 years old, we kind of chalked it up to just not throwing enough.  First game of summer league, he's now a starter...threw 80 pitches...felt pretty good for being his longest outing in a year.   A couple days later he had the same stiffness in the elbow.  Decided to find out what the issue was.  Went to Kremchek in Cincy.  Nothing noticeable...said take off a couple weeks, then try again.  Did that...ramped it back up....same issue...so back for an MRI.  Found no serious issues...just some inflammation.  Shut it down until Mid-December.   He's been back throwing for about 3 weeks....threw his first two bullpens last week and even without any curveballs, which was what seemed to stress the issue the most, the issue is back.  Not sure where we'll go with this...as they essentially told him there's nothing they can do.  Pitching career may have come to an abrupt end.....and may end up just DH'ing this season.    At this point he's almost wishing he'd have had a problem that could have "been fixed"....and come back knowing he was good to go. 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Well, this isn't the way we hoped to start his Senior season.   Son was the closer last year.  Obviously on a 11 win team, the closer doesn't throw a lot.   He threw quite a few less innings than he did the previous two years...and only 2 or 3 over the last 10 games.   He had some stiffness the day after throwing, but after having played SS and pitcher since he was 6 years old, we kind of chalked it up to just not throwing enough.  First game of summer league, he's now a starter...threw 80 pitches...felt pretty good for being his longest outing in a year.   A couple days later he had the same stiffness in the elbow.  Decided to find out what the issue was.  Went to Kremchek in Cincy.  Nothing noticeable...said take off a couple weeks, then try again.  Did that...ramped it back up....same issue...so back for an MRI.  Found no serious issues...just some inflammation.  Shut it down until Mid-December.   He's been back throwing for about 3 weeks....threw his first two bullpens last week and even without any curveballs, which was what seemed to stress the issue the most, the issue is back.  Not sure where we'll go with this...as they essentially told him there's nothing they can do.  Pitching career may have come to an abrupt end.....and may end up just DH'ing this season.    At this point he's almost wishing he'd have had a problem that could have "been fixed"....and come back knowing he was good to go. 

Good luck to your son Buckeye - def a bummer, but nice he has the DH option...

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I'm so sorry to hear this, Buckeye. Hoping DHing works out.  Any explanation of what the issue actually is?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.  Just got a text from him...maybe things aren't as bad as we thought. When he went the first time they gave him a cortisone shot to see if that would help.  It seemed to at first...then seemed to wear off as it got closer to time to ramp it back up.   Went back the second time...MRI didn't show anything...just some inflammation.   He talked to them today and got a prescription for a steroid pack of some kind that they seem to think may help.  A cortisone shot to keep it from hurting isn't feasible and can actually do more damage.  Not sure exactly what the plan is at this point...gonna talk to him later.

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Any chance they postpone the DHing and take a med redshirt? I don't know what his school situation is like but if he is graduating and can sneak in a year of grad school...could be a wise option. 

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Sorry to hear it Buckeye. Good luck to him.

PABaseball posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Any chance they postpone the DHing and take a med redshirt? I don't know what his school situation is like but if he is graduating and can sneak in a year of grad school...could be a wise option. 

He's graduating in May.  I actually mentioned that possiblity the other day...and it was shot down pretty quickly lol.  I think he's ready to get out of school and move on with life

Sorry to hear that Buckeye!  Hope he gets well soon, so he can have a fun Sr. year.

Ryno is still waiting to hear where/if he is in the rotation for his Sr. Season.  Thinking he will be the Saturday guy, but not sure yet.  Maybe Sunday?  Anyhow, they have a pretty rough start to the season, and a lot of new pieces, so it should be interesting.  We will be traveling to Austin, TX to see them play in the second series of the season.  #BoilerUp

JCG posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

D3's out west are starting. Mostly exhibitions and alumni games so far. However the real deal will start soon. 

Tomorrow's the big day -- there is a full slate of games for all 4 Western conferences.

Good luck to all!

Could be a wonderful weekend series in San Antonio between the preseason 4th ranked Trinity (Tx.) Tigers and 8th ranked SUNY Cortland.  I will be there with our son. We get  to throw out the first ball on Saturday.  (Expecting mine to have considerable down angle action!)

The last time we did that in 2016, the Tigers won the last game of the D3 season in Appleton.  Hoping "lightning" might strike twice.

These should be 2 very good teams with really high quality players. Trinity has one who was an NECBL All-Star and late season Cape sign last Summer.  Games are on video on the Trinity site for anyone interested.

infielddad posted:
JCG posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

D3's out west are starting. Mostly exhibitions and alumni games so far. However the real deal will start soon. 

Tomorrow's the big day -- there is a full slate of games for all 4 Western conferences.

Good luck to all!

Could be a wonderful weekend series in San Antonio between the preseason 4th ranked Trinity (Tx.) Tigers and 8th ranked SUNY Cortland.  I will be there with our son. We get  to throw out the first ball on Saturday.  (Expecting mine to have considerable down angle action!)

The last time we did that in 2016, the Tigers won the last game of the D3 season in Appleton.  Hoping "lightning" might strike twice.

These should be 2 very good teams with really high quality players. Trinity has one who was an NECBL All-Star and late season Cape sign last Summer.  Games are on video on the Trinity site for anyone interested.

That is great to see. Two teams with post season hopes on the line playing each other. I love it when two power houses go at it. 

infielddad posted:
JCG posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Good luck to all!

That’s great !  Curious of the Trinity players you’re talking about.  Pitchers or position guys... always cool when you get a D3 kid get to the Cape...

JCG posted:

I spoke too soon. I  watched an inning and there were 3 cameras with good coverage.  I came back to it a couple innings later and now there is just a CF camera that only shows the pitcher and batter.  D3 baseball!

JCG I watched some of the game today and they had all three cameras, a high quality announcer, with a color commentator. They are really setting the bar for D3 baseball webcast...actually anything less than a P5 program from what I have seen.  

BOF posted:
JCG posted:

I spoke too soon. I  watched an inning and there were 3 cameras with good coverage.  I came back to it a couple innings later and now there is just a CF camera that only shows the pitcher and batter.  D3 baseball!

JCG I watched some of the game today and they had all three cameras, a high quality announcer, with a color commentator. They are really setting the bar for D3 baseball webcast...actually anything less than a P5 program from what I have seen.  

First of all, it was really cold and wet in San Antonio on Saturday, especially.  Also important to point out that, in addition to baseball, they did a live broadcast of women's basketball which overlapped baseball.  It isn't like they have a huge crew.  The person who runs the video was a busy fella on Saturday working very hard when the broadcast had a technical glitch which seemed to be recognized pretty quickly.

While I am not sure this Trinity team has the depth of 2016 (that one went 12 deep in  position players), they have some really nice top end talent, can hit and pitch and are solid 1-9 for sure.

Cortland has 9 D1 drop downs on their roster.  Their Saturday starter was high 80's with left handed run (a lot of run.)  A lot can happen between now and May.  It would not surprise me at all if both of these teams are playing in late May.

Son made the travel squad for their first few trips anyway — Florida and Hawaii. But it's not all glitz and glamour. Players have been getting up at 6 a.m. for two weeks to prepare for playing early games on Eastern time, meet at the locker room at 3 a.m. Thursday (Valentine's Day) to leave, and the tournament organizer forgot to book them hotel rooms!

tequila posted:
JCG posted:

That's a very nice venue. Lots of great things to see and do around there when you're not watching baseball.  Or you could go to ASU (also a very nice facility) and see even more baseball.

Which Cal State? There are many.

I think it's Fullerton right?

Ah, well, I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to procrastinate,  so yes, a quick search says it's the #25 Fullerton Titans. (or the Angry Elephants, as we called ourselves when we had a LL Minors team that wore their swag)

BTW 26 degrees and freezing rain here, so 65 in Scottsdale sounds okay to me.

Last edited by JCG
JCG posted:
tequila posted:
JCG posted:

That's a very nice venue. Lots of great things to see and do around there when you're not watching baseball.  Or you could go to ASU (also a very nice facility) and see even more baseball.

Ah, well, I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to procrastinate,  so yes, a quick search says it's the #25 Fullerton Titans. (or the Angry Elephants, as we called ourselves when we had a LL Minors team that wore their swag)

25 and a fresh 5 inches of snow here. Same.

JCG posted:
tequila posted:
JCG posted:

2019 is their last chance to win a CWS title this decade -- Fullerton has a CWS title in the 70s, the 80s, the 90s, and the 2000s . . . now or never to keep the streak alive -- and some joker edited their Wikipedia page to show a 2019 title, lol

Cal State Fullerton Titans

Cal State Fullerton Titans logo.svg
Founded1965
UniversityCalifornia State University, Fullerton
Head coachRick Vanderhook (7th season)
ConferenceBig West
LocationFullerton, California
Home stadiumGoodwin Field 
(Capacity: 3,500)
NicknameTitans
ColorsNavy Blue, White, and Orange[1]

NCAA Tournament champions
1979, 1984, 1995, 2004, 2019
College World Series runner-up
College World Series appearances
1975, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2015, 2017, 2019
NCAA Tournament appearances
1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Last edited by 2019Dad
Iowamom23 posted:

Son made the travel squad for their first few trips anyway — Florida and Hawaii. But it's not all glitz and glamour. Players have been getting up at 6 a.m. for two weeks to prepare for playing early games on Eastern time, meet at the locker room at 3 a.m. Thursday (Valentine's Day) to leave, and the tournament organizer forgot to book them hotel rooms!

With the mid/upper 70's weather in Florida this weekend, and leaving this crap in the Midwest, I bet the boys wouldn't mind too much they had to sleep outside in a tent    Anything to get out of here for a few days lol

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Quick update....son called down to Kremchek's office after this latest issue a couple weeks ago....was given something for it.  Took 4 or 5 days off and has started throwing again.  First time last Tuesday didn't feel great....last Friday was "ok" and he texted me last night and said..."threw a bullpen today, arm felt great. Was throwing at 70% and coach said if I felt good, pick it up on the last couple.....was 88 on both".  Talked to him today and he said he feels great and said he feels like he could throw again today lol.   Hopefully this is the end of the issue.  I guess we'll find out this weekend.

Buckeye 2015 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Quick update....son called down to Kremchek's office after this latest issue a couple weeks ago....was given some kind of steroid pack.  Took 4 or 5 days off and has started throwing again.  First time last Tuesday didn't feel great....last Friday was "ok" and he texted me last night and said..."threw a bullpen today, arm felt great. Was throwing at 70% and coach said if I felt good, pick it up on the last couple.....was 88 on both".  Talked to him today and he said he feels great and said he feels like he could throw again today lol.   Hopefully this is the end of the issue.  I guess we'll find out this weekend.

Nice!  Good Luck to him!

CTbballDad posted:

Not being a wise guy, but is the steroid pack legal?  Heck, do college athletes get tested?

I changed my last post.  That's how son worded it when he first told me about it.  I also questioned it and if he knew what he was getting.  He had already gotten it cleared thru the trainer.  A friend's son had the same issue a couple years ago....and had the same thing. He had also verified that whatever it was wasn't going to be an issue.   Evidently that's the "common term" for it....but not the technical term.    I'll ask my son what the real name was in case anyone ever comes across it and is wondering

Edit:  You had me wondering so I looked into it.  It's called a DosePak.  It's Methylprednisolone or common term prednisone.      It is classified as a corticosteroid, so I guess that's where the name comes from.   It's an anti-imflamatory and is specifically listed as "Allowed" on the NCAA list    I feel better having looked into it lol

Buckeye 2015 posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Not being a wise guy, but is the steroid pack legal?  Heck, do college athletes get tested?

I changed my last post.  That's how son worded it when he first told me about it.  I also questioned it and if he knew what he was getting.  He had already gotten it cleared thru the trainer.  A friend's son had the same issue a couple years ago....and had the same thing. He had also verified that whatever it was wasn't going to be an issue.   Evidently that's the "common term" for it....but not the technical term.    I'll ask my son what the real name was in case anyone ever comes across it and is wondering

Edit:  You had me wondering so I looked into it.  It's called a DosePak.  It's Methylprednisolone or common term prednisone.      It is classified as a corticosteroid, so I guess that's where the name comes from.   It's an anti-imflamatory and is specifically listed as "Allowed" on the NCAA list    I feel better having looked into it lol

My wife has been on Prednisone in the past. She had to ramp up then ramp down. Boy she was unpleasant to be around when she was on that stuff. That has been quite a while ago. I hope she never has a need for it again. 

BishopLeftiesDad posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:
CTbballDad posted:

My wife has been on Prednisone in the past. She had to ramp up then ramp down. Boy she was unpleasant to be around when she was on that stuff. That has been quite a while ago. I hope she never has a need for it again. 

This is a one shot thing...take it for 4 days then it's done...it's not an ongoing prescription.  He's been done since last Tuesday.  We have talked about it and if the issue comes back again, he's just going to pack it in with regard to pitching and finish out the year getting some time as DH.  No sense risking any long term issues for one last season on the mound.

The steroids to be concerned with are anabolic steroids, completely different than corticosteroids (prednisone, dexamethasone, etc).  Corticosteroids are used for inflammation, pain, asthma, and such.  Even if a drug appears on the NCAA list, such as amphetamines or derivatives, it is legal as long as the proper paperwork, medical info, prescription is provided.  I agree with Buckeye 2015, not really worth the risk.  This is probably just letting him throw, not necessarily addressing the underlying problem.  Good luck with the season

rynoattack posted:

I thought I'd share.  We can't make the trip, but we will be heading to UT in Austin next week.

Let me give you fair warning. When you play the horns in Austin you are playing against at least 11 men.  Umpires are notorious homers.  Don’t expect any close calls to go your way and there will be 2 different strike zones. It’s not as bad as it used to be but it’s still a real thing. Your son will probably deal with it better when he is on the mound if he knows what’s coming. 

adbono posted:
rynoattack posted:

Let me give you fair warning. When you play the horns in Austin you are playing against at least 11 men.  Umpires are notorious homers.  Don’t expect any close calls to go your way and there will be 2 different strike zones. It’s not as bad as it used to be but it’s still a real thing. Your son will probably deal with it better when he is on the mound if he knows what’s coming. 

If it's really that bad do any visiting catchers ever intentionally miss catching a high fastball?  Or three?

(only half kidding)

CTbballDad posted:

Really cool...Good luck!  You know we're all going to be checking the box score now, right?

Yeah, it makes me nervous!  I hope he does well.  I feel like I did when he was in JC ball.  He was up and down as a Freshman, but completely dominated as a Soph.  I'm thinking that he is going to have a really good year this year, after being up and down last year.  

They have a really tough row to hoe though.  Starting out with to Top 25 Teams on the road will not be easy.

adbono posted:
rynoattack posted:

I thought I'd share.  We can't make the trip, but we will be heading to UT in Austin next week.

That sucks!  Hopefully, he will be able to handle it, and if he has a bad start, that the coaches understand what was going on.  (Don't hold it against him if he gets squeezed.)

JCG posted:
adbono posted:
rynoattack posted:

If it's really that bad do any visiting catchers ever intentionally miss catching a high fastball?  Or three?

(only half kidding)

Funny that you say that.   An Austin based umpire that called almost all UT home games in the 80's was behind the plate during a college summer league game in Houston that I was pitching.  Our catcher was a really crazy pothead from UCSB.  Loved that guy.  Anyway he didn't like the way the strike zone was being called so he called a high fastball.....and intentionally missed it.  Broke the home plate umpire's arm. As they were loading the ump into an ambulance I asked our catcher what happened and he said, "nobody squeezes the strike zone on my pitchers!  That will teach his sorry ass!!"  I couldn't believe it.  That's about as hard core as it gets.  And it would be a lawsuit today. 

smokeminside posted:

I love the idea that he was a pothead and still so aggressive.  Imagine what he would have done if he hadn't been toking.

Same kid stole 3B in a different game that summer by leading off 2B, calling time out loud enough for the pitcher and both middle infielders to hear, but not loud enough for base ump to hear. Then he walked to 3B as if he was going to talk to the 3B coach. Genius ! One of the funniest things I have ever seen in a game.

Qhead posted:
rynoattack posted:

Huge LIKE for this.  Good luck!  I feel for all northern teams at the start of the season.  Awesome that Purdue does cool graphics and announcements like this!  

I was a little surprised.  I thought they wouldn't say anything until game day...

I had a pot head for a catcher too.  At our school captains got to drive team vans and there was always one sober van, one stoned van, and one coach's van.  The sober van driver was our version of Captain America.  He would literally pull off the freeway if anyone did anything untoward.  I drove the stoned van but didn't partake and I kept my window down.

The catcher was built like Kung Fu Panda but was surprisingly agile.  One game when I was having trouble with the strike zone, he was doing a brilliant job keeping the ball in front of him.  After about four run-saving blocks of dirtballs, he wandered out to the mound and said, "Hey, man." 

I said, "Hey."

"You see my mitt?" he said, holding it up in my face.  "Try to throw the ball there, dude, okay?"

"Okay."

"Thanks, man. Just be cool."

And then he waddled back.  Then I continued to throw wild pitches and the coach pulled me.

rynoattack posted:
Qhead posted:
rynoattack posted:

Huge LIKE for this.  Good luck!  I feel for all northern teams at the start of the season.  Awesome that Purdue does cool graphics and announcements like this!  

I was a little surprised.  I thought they wouldn't say anything until game day...

Wow, congrats....looks like we won't be seeing him when we head to W. Lafayette next month on a Wednesday     You're not kidding about those early season road trips, it's tough to start like that.  Son got the Saturday start on opening weekend two seasons ago at Texas A & M.  First time on the mound for the season in front of 7000+.  Funny thing, he pitched probably the best he's thrown in a college game and said he didn't even notice the crowd.  That's the mindset of a pitcher I guess lol

Trust In Him posted:

The steroids to be concerned with are anabolic steroids, completely different than corticosteroids (prednisone, dexamethasone, etc).  Corticosteroids are used for inflammation, pain, asthma, and such.  Even if a drug appears on the NCAA list, such as amphetamines or derivatives, it is legal as long as the proper paperwork, medical info, prescription is provided.  I agree with Buckeye 2015, not really worth the risk.  This is probably just letting him throw, not necessarily addressing the underlying problem.  Good luck with the season

Oh, right. They don’t do steroids in college ball. Well, even if they did, they would really be discrete about it and hide it well. Certain USC player shoots that theory in the foot! 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 34F18549-0DC2-404B-8925-3EB05D591002
rynoattack posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Really cool...Good luck!  You know we're all going to be checking the box score now, right?

Yeah, it makes me nervous!  I hope he does well.  I feel like I did when he was in JC ball.  He was up and down as a Freshman, but completely dominated as a Soph.  I'm thinking that he is going to have a really good year this year, after being up and down last year.  

They have a really tough row to hoe though.  Starting out with to Top 25 Teams on the road will not be easy.

Eh, no reason to be nervous.  We’ve all experienced the good and bad games from our kids.  They're all special in the end, especially at the level your son is playing at. Enjoy!

I've got a mental log of many of the sons playing this year and will be rooting them all on.

Congrats to everyone's kids thus far.  Son's school has been trapped indoors with 7 inches of snow covering the mound.  They are hosting an indoor scrimmage this Friday and then kick things off in St Louis (supposedly) on March 2nd.  

Very happy to report that after 7 months of hard work, my LHP has recovered from his elbow injury (sprained ulner nerve and then ultimately ulner nerve surgery).  Said his  velo isn't fully back yet, but during two intersquad indoor scrimmages he has thrown 3 innings with no pain and performed really well.  

Good luck to everyone's kids that are battling through rehab… not easy. 

So Ryno had a pretty good start.  5 1/3 ip, 9 hits, 1 bb, 1 k, 3 r, 2 er, took the loss.  He pitched against a very good Southern Miss team, and he held them scoreless through 5.  Since it was his first start of the year, I was hoping he'd get pulled after 5. 5 scoreless would have been great.

Anyhow, half of the hits were infield hits.  He sawed off the preseason all American, clean-up hitter, but unfortunately, he got a swinging bunt single.  He thought he pitched well, but his out pitch just couldn't put guys away on Saturday.  S. Miss just kept battling and putting the ball in play.  Coach Waz says the S. Miss 1 - 5 in their line-up is as good as any line-up they'll face all year, so I am hoping he is right.  

So in the 6th, Ryno gets the first guy out, and then the next guy hits a nice single. Then, the next batter hit a rocket that hits Ryan right in the hip.  He said he didn't even see it. Now, there is 1 out and 2 on.  Next guy gets a hit, and there is an error on the throw back in.  Score is now 2 - 2 with a guy on 2nd.  New pitcher strikes out the next guy, but gives up a hit, and the runner scores.  They end up tacking on another run, so the final was 4 - 2.  

Purdue did get swept, but they really competed against a good team, I believe they are going to be a better team for this extremely tough early schedule.

I think Ryan's start looks even better after S. Miss dropped 16 on Purdue Sunday...

rynoattack posted:

So Ryno had a pretty good start.  5 1/3 ip, 9 hits, 1 bb, 1 k, 3 r, 2 er, took the loss.  He pitched against a very good Southern Miss team, and he held them scoreless through 5.  Since it was his first start of the year, I was hoping he'd get pulled after 5. 5 scoreless would have been great.

Anyhow, half of the hits were infield hits.  He sawed off the preseason all American, clean-up hitter, but unfortunately, he got a swinging bunt single.  He thought he pitched well, but his out pitch just couldn't put guys away on Saturday.  S. Miss just kept battling and putting the ball in play.  Coach Waz says the S. Miss 1 - 5 in their line-up is as good as any line-up they'll face all year, so I am hoping he is right.  

So in the 6th, Ryno gets the first guy out, and then the next guy hits a nice single. Then, the next batter hit a rocket that hits Ryan right in the hip.  He said he didn't even see it. Now, there is 1 out and 2 on.  Next guy gets a hit, and there is an error on the throw back in.  Score is now 2 - 2 with a guy on 2nd.  New pitcher strikes out the next guy, but gives up a hit, and the runner scores.  They end up tacking on another run, so the final was 4 - 2.  

Purdue did get swept, but they really competed against a good team, I believe they are going to be a better team for this extremely tough early schedule.

I think Ryan's start looks even better after S. Miss dropped 16 on Purdue Sunday...

Am I the only one who thinks pitchers usually get left in one batter too long? Although from what happened after he left, sounds like he was the best option and did a great job against tough competition. Congrats.

CSUN had a decent weekend. Split four with Kansas State, but dropped two games with late collapses on the mound. Dalton didn't dress for this series. His velocity had dropped from 90-93/96 in the late summer/early fall to 86-88 the last couple of weeks before the season started and the HC had him completely take off nine days with no throwing although he swears there is no physical problem. He was supposed to throw a pen on Tuesday to prepare, but it rained Tue through Thur and CSUN has no indoor facilities. 

Luckily, because there had been rain in the forecast, we had canceled going to Cali this past weekend and decided to go this coming weekend for a four game series against Gonzaga. 

Some notes from the weekend. One thing that has surprised me is the lack of velocity form CSUN's staff. Probably our most efficient starter, whose dad is on this board, sits 78-81 and tops out occasionally at 82. Great secondary stuff, though. Outside of Dalton, there is one pitcher on the staff that can consistently pitch in the low 90's and he gave up six runs in the ninth yesterday in a 5-5 game. There are several contributors on the staff that sit high 70's/low 80's. Just a note for those stuck on the idea that you HAVE to throw 90+ to pitch D1.

roothog66 posted:
bacdorslider posted:
Ethan threw well, had some bad luck, LF lost a pop up on the sun, all in all a good weekend

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Looked like the Vandy staff, as a whole, struggled. Young staff, so that's always a possibility early.

Looking forward to Mar 1-3 in Nashville.  Son plays at Belmont, a friend of his is playing for Xavier at Lipscomb and another plays for Dayton at Vandy.   Depending on what son is doing (DH or P), I'm gonna try to catch at least part of a game at all 3 places.  Son played at Vandy as a 17U player, but I've never been there for a Vandy game....kinda excited to see what it's like to see a game at a "big time" baseball school     Oh, and it would be great to see the Ohio teams win some games that weekend lol

Hey Root, one of our HS kids is a Sat. starter for Gonzaga.  Let me know if it looks like yours is gonna make a Saturday start - may be worth a drive down.  One of my assistants played for CSUN ages ago when they were D2 national champs... can probably talk him into joining me.  Also, let me know if you are going to make the trip to San Luis for the Poly series.  That's very close to home and I should have time for more Poly games this year.  If you haven't been to SLO, well worth the trip... sort of a hidden gem and late March is the perfect time.  

Last edited by cabbagedad
roothog66 posted:

CSUN had a decent weekend. Split four with Kansas State, but dropped two games with late collapses on the mound. Dalton didn't dress for this series. His velocity had dropped from 90-93/96 in the late summer/early fall to 86-88 the last couple of weeks before the season started and the HC had him completely take off nine days with no throwing although he swears there is no physical problem. He was supposed to throw a pen on Tuesday to prepare, but it rained Tue through Thur and CSUN has no indoor facilities. 

Luckily, because there had been rain in the forecast, we had canceled going to Cali this past weekend and decided to go this coming weekend for a four game series against Gonzaga. 

Some notes from the weekend. One thing that has surprised me is the lack of velocity form CSUN's staff. Probably our most efficient starter, whose dad is on this board, sits 78-81 and tops out occasionally at 82. Great secondary stuff, though. Outside of Dalton, there is one pitcher on the staff that can consistently pitch in the low 90's and he gave up six runs in the ninth yesterday in a 5-5 game. There are several contributors on the staff that sit high 70's/low 80's. Just a note for those stuck on the idea that you HAVE to throw 90+ to pitch D1.

CSUN has shown much improvement over the recent years.  It seems like coaches always find a few gems through the JC route.  It wouldn't surprise me to see CSUN up at the top contending with Fullerton and Long Beach. 

Trust In Him posted:
roothog66 posted:

CSUN has shown much improvement over the recent years.  It seems like coaches always find a few gems through the JC route.  It wouldn't surprise me to see CSUN up at the top contending with Fullerton and Long Beach. 

They might if some things come together. Only one returning starter in the field, but the newcomers have hit the hell out of the ball so far. One thing that did impress me was that Coach Moore really stepped up the non-conference schedule this year adding K State, Gonzaga, Iowa, Michigan, and St. John's in addition to UCLA and USC.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.