Skip to main content

Ripken Fan posted:

Son's college career started at a weekend series at A&M. Top 4 hitters in line-up (and maybe SP) were freshman. Another freshman ( a 2-way player) entered the game as a reliever. Had trouble finding plate..up to "ball 5 " or "ball 6". I think the chant surprised him and irked his mom who said to a group of fans, "Hey that's my son!"

That's funny.  We were there for opening weekend a couple weeks ago.  My wife's reaction was she was so glad she wasn't that kid's Mom.  The "ball 9" got posted to Twitter, the pitcher who threw it saw the tweet and tweeted back something like "I did it for the fans."  Good for the kid.

9and7dad posted:
Ripken Fan posted:

Son's college career started at a weekend series at A&M. Top 4 hitters in line-up (and maybe SP) were freshman. Another freshman ( a 2-way player) entered the game as a reliever. Had trouble finding plate..up to "ball 5 " or "ball 6". I think the chant surprised him and irked his mom who said to a group of fans, "Hey that's my son!"

That's funny.  We were there for opening weekend a couple weeks ago.  My wife's reaction was she was so glad she wasn't that kid's Mom.  The "ball 9" got posted to Twitter, the pitcher who threw it saw the tweet and tweeted back something like "I did it for the fans."  Good for the kid.

Gotta hand it to their fans....they put in a lot of work to know anything/everything about their opponents, they try to get in their heads, but they do keep it civil...nothing malicious.  4 days before my son's opener there, his school posted a "4 days til the opener" Tweet with a link to him because he was #4.   Within hours he had 30 new Twitter followers....all from A & M    He shut down his Twitter for the rest of the week.  They knew players dogs names, sister's names, girlfriend's names....lol.  He thought it was hilarious.  They were chanting his name the entire time he warmed up on the mound before every inning....but he said he didn't hear it.      Guess that's the mindset you need to be a pitcher lol.   He did say it was by far his favorite game he's ever pitched in

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Buckeye 2015 posted:
9and7dad posted:
Ripken Fan posted:

Gotta hand it to their fans....they put in a lot of work to know anything/everything about their opponents, they try to get in their heads, but they do keep it civil...nothing malicious.  4 days before my son's opener there, his school posted a "4 days til the opener" Tweet with a link to him because he was #4.   Within hours he had 30 new Twitter followers....all from A & M    He shut down his Twitter for the rest of the week.  They knew players dogs names, sister's names, girlfriend's names....lol.  He thought it was hilarious.  They were chanting his name the entire time he warmed up on the mound before every inning....but he said he didn't hear it.      Guess that's the mindset you need to be a pitcher lol.   He did say it was by far his favorite game he's ever pitched in

When I was a student at A&M, we went to many baseball games and it was so much fun.  The fans have been doing that "ball 9" thing years ago and I graduated in '97, but the fans always applaud the pitcher when he finally gets that strike.  My favorite was when a batter would get hit by a pitch in the leg or foot (not hurt, just hit by a pitch), EVERY step he took after that for the whole game, "Ow" "Ow"....."Ow, Ow, Ow".  Even base coaches aren't immune.  I've seen 1st base coaches get the "Ow" treatment too if a foul ball gets them too.  Some of my son's coaches talk about playing or coaching against A&M as one of the more memorable games of their careers.  It's definitely a home field advantage.

I think it was 2014 when A&M was ranked pretty high and they came to CA early in the season. Tons of fans made the trip. I remember looking at there players and thinking that everyone them looks good in a uniform. They were really big. The fans were very loud, that is of course until they got sweep by unranked Fresno State. The fans in Fresno are pretty vocal as well, just not the numbers of A&M. My fan favorite is when an opposing batter strikes out, the entire stands follow him with a loud "Left, Right, Left, Right" all the way back to the dugout. If he stops, they stop, when he continues, so do they. 

A&M is a unique place with a different kind of fan.  The best way I have heard it described is "If you are on the outside looking in you can't understand it.  If you are on the inside looking out you can't explain it."  It is truly a special place and playing there was one of the best experiences of my life.

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Just got back from Nashville....dang, so much for better weather "down South"     Upper 30's by the end of Friday's game and got up to a whopping 43 for yesterday's DH.   Fortunately no rain, some good music and no weather issues on the way home.  Next weekend in Cincinnati....40's and rain.....c'mon Spring

Well, it was -12 this morning here, and our brand new turf practice field is covered in about 4-5 ' of snow. We'll swap you.

Well it's looking more and more like the pitching thing is probably over for the kid.   Lingering arm issue just won't go away.   He's not all that upset....he took over as the everyday DH 5 games ago and has started to look like he did in HS.  He's hitting .385 (.450 since he started playing everyday), has a hit in all 5 games.....and only 4 K's on the season (though it's only been 27 AB's).   Had his first collegiate 3 hit game on Sunday at Cincinnati.  I gotta tell you, it's been an awfully fun seeing him back at the plate after not having hit full time since HS.  The coaches asked the trainer yesterday if his arm was ok to play first base    If he's going to play everyday, it's probably better to move him to 1B and give them some flexibility at the DH spot.  He's figuring he'll hear something at practice today.  He played first for 1 inning his last regular season HS game when the coach said "go play wherever you guys want"....    I don't think he'll have any issues...he was a SS in HS, but I guess we'll find out.  

A couple big things for the kid and the team this weekend.  He got his first college home run...a line drive to left that I think was still going up as it cleared the fence.  He's hit in all 11 games since he took over the starting DH spot...average is .340 and I think the biggest stat of all, again after not having hit regularly since HS is that he has only 6 K's in 52 plate appearances.

Team swept the I-75 rival Rockets this weekend....their first 3 game sweep since he's been there, which seems awfully hard to believe, but that's kinda how things have gone.  After a slow start, things are looking up and it's actually fun to watch baseball again lol.  Now if we could just get some sun and maybe see the 50's

Another win yesterday....and now a 4-game winning streak....longest since my son got there in 2016.  8 wins on the season after having 11 all last year.  Funny, how a couple wins seem to make things fun again.  These guys look like a completely different team from last year, even though 7 of the 9 starting defensive players are back.  3 new starting pitchers....all doing very well so far...makes a huge difference.  The next two weekends are teams that we can beat.  Would be awfully nice to start conference play 9-0

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.