Skip to main content

Congrats to meads and PitchingFan! Sounds like your boys are off to great starts to the spring.

Chico Jr's HS team is playing to expectations--weren't supposed to contend for a title, but should be pretty good.  They have won the games they were expected to; lost some close ones to teams that were supposed to beat them; only been blown out once.

My son's team has a strong pitching staff, which is all seniors plus him (a junior).  He (and the coaches) expected he would be a starter and he was on track for that very early on, but has not looked good in his last couple of appearances and, for now at least, is a middle reliever. Unfortunately, he has never pitched well in relief going all the way back to Little League (but he hasn't earned another start).  Jr isn't giving up many hits except a few seeing-eye grounders, but when you load the bases with walks and HBP, a single means a couple of runs...  He seems ticked off rather than discouraged, which I suppose it good.  His dad is a little concerned, but is a worrier by nature.

Chico Escuela posted:

Congrats to meads and PitchingFan! Sounds like your boys are off to great starts to the spring.

Chico Jr's HS team is playing to expectations--weren't supposed to contend for a title, but should be pretty good.  They have won the games they were expected to; lost some close ones to teams that were supposed to beat them; only been blown out once.

My son's team has a strong pitching staff, which is all seniors plus him (a junior).  He (and the coaches) expected he would be a starter and he was on track for that very early on, but has not looked good in his last couple of appearances and, for now at least, is a middle reliever. Unfortunately, he has never pitched well in relief going all the way back to Little League (but he hasn't earned another start).  Jr isn't giving up many hits except a few seeing-eye grounders, but when you load the bases with walks and HBP, a single means a couple of runs...  He seems ticked off rather than discouraged, which I suppose it good.  His dad is a little concerned, but is a worrier by nature.

For whatever its worth- my son has had his struggles this season. First HS team, lots of great talent. Coaches who play the best and sit the rest. His first game was crap, to put it nicely. When he didn't play game 2, it felt more like a punishment. I told him he has to go out there and give it his all, but he was still playing it too safe, afraid to take a chance and make a mistake and get benched again. So we had a chat and I told him wherever and whenever the coaches put you in, you have a job to do. Just DO YOUR JOB and everything will fall in line. The last 2 games he played an inning here and there but he DID HIS JOB and played well. Last night he was starting pitcher and completed the game- I told him, DO YOUR JOB, trust your teammates and if the coach yells at you, don't let him get in your head, your know your pitches and if it doesn't feel right its between you and your catcher.

Now, he will never admit that I give good advice, but I think our chats are finally sinking in and paying off!

meads posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

For whatever its worth- my son has had his struggles this season. First HS team, lots of great talent. Coaches who play the best and sit the rest. His first game was crap, to put it nicely. When he didn't play game 2, it felt more like a punishment. I told him he has to go out there and give it his all, but he was still playing it too safe, afraid to take a chance and make a mistake and get benched again. So we had a chat and I told him wherever and whenever the coaches put you in, you have a job to do. Just DO YOUR JOB and everything will fall in line. The last 2 games he played an inning here and there but he DID HIS JOB and played well. Last night he was starting pitcher and completed the game- I told him, DO YOUR JOB, trust your teammates and if the coach yells at you, don't let him get in your head, your know your pitches and if it doesn't feel right its between you and your catcher.

Now, he will never admit that I give good advice, but I think our chats are finally sinking in and paying off!

Congrats.  Huge change in less than a week.  

My 2020 pitched 5IP, and got a win in his first V start of the year. Allowed 1H. Pretty efficient 72 pitches.

My 2022 pitched in JV (after pitching an inning on V in last pre-season game)....Was not good. Which is fine. But coach left him out there for 84 pitches....He's probably not thrown 84 pitches....ever and high in pre-season was 40 pitches or so. After 3IP was at 72 with 7BB  (but up 5-1) and they sent him back out to start the 4th. My son said he was going to talk to the coach (first year) about his pitch counts. At least the next day he didn't put him at SS but at 2B.

One month into the season and we've only managed 8 games (one conference) due to weather. Son's had 2 pitching starts for a total of 11 innings (he's on a limited pitch count as he finishes his "rehab") with 21 Ks and a 1.23 ERA. More importantly to us his arm has never felt better and his velo is the highest its ever been. Kind of surprisingly he's leading the team in hitting too, with a .542 avg, 3 doubles and a HR, plus he's hit in all 8 games.

Arm health is most important at this point, as he gets ready for whatever next year brings. Hopefully we'll get to play this weekend, but the Chicagoland weather, again, looks sketchy!

KilroyJ posted:

One month into the season and we've only managed 8 games (one conference) due to weather. Son's had 2 pitching starts for a total of 11 innings (he's on a limited pitch count as he finishes his "rehab") with 21 Ks and a 1.23 ERA. More importantly to us his arm has never felt better and his velo is the highest its ever been. Kind of surprisingly he's leading the team in hitting too, with a .542 avg, 3 doubles and a HR, plus he's hit in all 8 games.

Arm health is most important at this point, as he gets ready for whatever next year brings. Hopefully we'll get to play this weekend, but the Chicagoland weather, again, looks sketchy!

Awesome! Keep up that arm health

Played our opener on Tuesday, which was OK...less errors than expected, and a few absolute bombs hit. We are playing on a multi purpose new turf field with no fences. 40 F weather, with a cold wind. One kid on our team hit a triple that must've gone 400' in the air, aided by a strong NW wind. That's still quite a shot in the cold air when the ball simply doesn't travel. 

Yesterday's game was cancelled due to weather, and we are now looking at 12" snow on the ground, wiping out all our games this week at a minimum. The home set of fields are really nice, but grass...this will set them back at least a couple of weeks, and the HS teams(we have four of them) will be fighting over the multi purpose turf fields together with the LAX and other teams. We are back to practicing in gyms. There is only so much you can do there.

My son pitched 7 innings tonight Allowed only 4 hits. Faced 31 batters and of those 31 he threw 25 first pitch strikes 👏 He threw 69% strikes tonight. 3 strikeouts, 2 walks. 1 run.
Everyone did THEIR job 👏👏👏👏 The last 3 innings he faced 3 batters each time. One inning he only threw 3 pitches total 😂 💣 

So...this happened.

Freshmen son is playing Varsity. He's been starting and playing the full games so far. 

In the 6th game of the season, his 6th varsity game ever, in his 18th overall varsity plate appearance, he goes yard. 375 feet to straight left. The freshmen now leads the team in homers with one.  :-)

And, just for RJM, it happened 2 weeks before his 15th birthday  :-)

It was a really fun moment for the whole family.

Francis7 posted:

So...this happened.

Freshmen son is playing Varsity. He's been starting and playing the full games so far. 

In the 6th game of the season, his 6th varsity game ever, in his 18th overall varsity plate appearance, he goes yard. 375 feet to straight left. The freshmen now leads the team in homers with one.  :-)

And, just for RJM, it happened 2 weeks before his 15th birthday  :-)

It was a really fun moment for the whole family.

Trust In Him posted:

A kids first HR in a new level will be remembered and so special to the player and parents.  Congrats and many more to come!

Thanks. Thanks to local media and social media, it was a big story. Both his phone and my phone blew up that night and the day after. I think everyone in our town heard about it and was talking about it.  

Francis7 posted:
Trust In Him posted:

A kids first HR in a new level will be remembered and so special to the player and parents.  Congrats and many more to come!

Thanks. Thanks to local media and social media, it was a big story. Both his phone and my phone blew up that night and the day after. I think everyone in our town heard about it and was talking about it.  

Haha, that’s how it was when my son pitched his first No Hitter! Had over 1900 likes, comments, tweets 😱

Would be interested to hear anyone else's story about their son struggling at the HS level.

My son's story... he was the leading hitter on his travel ball team from 8U -13U, always lead the team in all areas; Hits, AVG, OPS, SLG.  Then he goes to HS and played JV last year as a freshman and struggles..big time, 5 hits over the season for a .179 AVG.

Now I know some of that is the change to the BBCOR -3 bat, he used a -5 and -3 his last year of travel ball.  Summer Legion ball was better with 19 hits and a .306 AVG.

But now he's a Sophomore backup catcher on Varsity and struggling again, 3 hits in 17 PA. 231 AVG.

So I don't know if it's a mental thing in getting overwhelmed at the plate or something else.

Anyone else seen their son struggle in HS?

Coach_TV posted:

Would be interested to hear anyone else's story about their son struggling at the HS level.

My son's story... he was the leading hitter on his travel ball team from 8U -13U, always lead the team in all areas; Hits, AVG, OPS, SLG.  Then he goes to HS and played JV last year as a freshman and struggles..big time, 5 hits over the season for a .179 AVG.

Now I know some of that is the change to the BBCOR -3 bat, he used a -5 and -3 his last year of travel ball.  Summer Legion ball was better with 19 hits and a .306 AVG.

But now he's a Sophomore backup catcher on Varsity and struggling again, 3 hits in 17 PA. 231 AVG.

So I don't know if it's a mental thing in getting overwhelmed at the plate or something else.

I don't know if my son's story will be helpful (for sure it won't be encouraging), but: 

Chico Jr. was a good hitter from machine pitch through age 14--always hit for average and for power.  As an 8th grader he batted clean-up for his middle school team (they won their conference title), then hit in the middle of the lineup during travel ball that summer.  This was his second year with a BBCOR bat, and he faced many of the same pitchers he would see the following spring in JV ball.

In JV (third year using BBCOR), the boy just stopped hitting.  That carried over to travel ball after 9th grade, where he had a miserable summer at the plate.  To my eye, the pitching didn't change much from 8th grade to 9th--a few more curve balls, not much velo change.  He spent a lot of time in the cage and working with a hitting coach.  We got his eyes checked.  He was mashing the ball in the cage... then hitting weak grounders or pop-ups in games.

My son is a pitcher, and after a year of not hitting much at all he opted to become a PO.  He's very happy with that choice--says he was getting burned-out trying to be a 2-way player.  He made varsity last year as a sophomore and insists he has no desire to pick up a bat again.  I can't explain what happened, although it worked out pretty well in the end.

Last edited by Chico Escuela

I am surprised my frosh kid's confidence took a dip this season. He is hitting very well, has a high ob% and rarely strikes out. He was complaining recently not driving the ball enough and feels he will be dropped in the line up. I never was a pep talk dad and usually sicken them with "you get what you put in" speeches, but he was not really responding to my assertion that the numbers and what they see is what will determine his spot. Regardless, he wanted to go to the cages and "work" on things (always happy to do that). He also told me he wants to be a primary OF and move away from behind the dish. I was not surprised as he was spending most of his time there this season. 

Chico Escuela posted:
Coach_TV posted:

I don't know if my son's story will be helpful (for sure it won't be encouraging), but: 

Chico Jr. was a good hitter from machine pitch through age 14--always hit for average and for power.  As an 8th grader he batted clean-up for his middle school team (they won their conference title), then hit in the middle of the lineup during travel ball that summer.  This was his second year with a BBCOR bat, and he faced many of the same pitchers he would see the following spring in JV ball.

In JV (third year using BBCOR), the boy just stopped hitting.  

It does help, at least to know that others (not all) have struggled as well.  My son like your's it seems is a totally different hitter in BP.  I happened to be up at their practice yesterday doing some work in the press box and I heard some of the boys yell his name and I looked up and he line a ball of the LC fence 325 ft away.

So I think it's a mental thing overall and maybe a few mechanical things in his swing as well.

He's a catcher who receives, blocks and throws very well; so I don't think it's his eyes...but who knows.  The good thing about the boy is he's willing to put in the extra work to figure it out.  I built a Plyo wall and hitting net in our garage and to his credit he's been in there every night hitting and throwing Plyo's.  So we'll see what happens going forward, he's going to play summer legion and Fall Ball this year; so he'll get a lot of reps (hopefully) to figure it out.

I would say it is 99% a mental thing. In BP they are relaxed and just doing their reps. In a game, the pressure is on- getting signs from the coach, the situation, and of course the bad call from the ump on the first pitch can totally affect the batter’s psyche. It doesn’t take much. Even a slight distraction means the difference between fouling it straight back, and launching it over the centerfielder’s head. I think that is very common. Look at all the rookies in the MLB right now making their debut. One that comes to mind and reminds me of my son is the Yankee Ford who just came up. Great plate discipline, but keeps in just missing a big hit. Finally got a double today. Confidence is everything as a batter. If that confidence falters even slightly, it turns a slugger into an irrelevant batter.

2022NYC posted:

I am surprised my frosh kid's confidence took a dip this season. He is hitting very well, has a high ob% and rarely strikes out. He was complaining recently not driving the ball enough and feels he will be dropped in the line up. I never was a pep talk dad and usually sicken them with "you get what you put in" speeches, but he was not really responding to my assertion that the numbers and what they see is what will determine his spot. Regardless, he wanted to go to the cages and "work" on things (always happy to do that). He also told me he wants to be a primary OF and move away from behind the dish. I was not surprised as he was spending most of his time there this season. 

I had to be moved from C in high school because I just couldn't hit when I played there.  We had several D1 pitchers who were hard to catch and always wanted to go over the hitters in between innings.  I got moved to 1B/OF and my hitting vastly improved.  

Playoff time in Texas.  Team tied one and lost two in first three games of season.  Then went 23-1.  Is currently ranked #10 in Texas by Texas High School Baseball.  Tied for district championship at 13-1.  Other than top two teams, district is about average,  Son pitched 54 innings, gave up 3 ER's, 77 strikeouts.  He did take 2 of their 3 losses. Also hit 3-hole for the season.  A few weeks back he was at .500, probably just at that as regular season wrapped up.  

Team is in Texas 6A class.  Largest class in Texas. There are four regions.  Playoffs within Region are usually a best of 3.  Win the region, it becomes a single elim for the final two steps.

Here's to 12 in a row!

reg 3

Attachments

Images (1)
  • reg 3
baseballhs posted:

We start playoffs this week  as well.  With high percentage storms forecasted for the next 10 days it could be interesting.  A 3 days series may be forced to go to a one game playoff.  We are scheduled Wed-Friday with 70-80% chance of rain on two of those days. Next week doesn't look any better.

Turf fields were in high demand this week.  Lot's of cash for a program to have playoff games + concessions.  Pays a lot of the bills and provides cash for "niceties" for the kids.  

A view from a different neighborhood of the standings:  A couple of weeks left in the season. Son’s team is a little over .500 — middle of the conference pack. That is about as expected, although they did play some very close games against highly-ranked teams. Chico Jr. is a RHP.  His season stats look Pretty good except for too many walks. (One per IP, although they tend to come in bunches in the games. When you walk 3 in a row, a ground ball single does real damage.)  Hoping he finds his command again in summer ball. 

A bit discouraged here as I am realizing that Freshman ball doesn't really matter and its all nothing but a way for Varsity coaches to scope out who they have coming up for JV and Varsity next year and in the coming years- that's fine and all, but the Freshman team were doing well this year with a record of 10-4 then the coaches started messing with who they put where and even put some kids in to play who have been on the DL list most of the season (don't get me wrong, they deserve to get some play time as well) but a PO the coaches put at 2B and in 1 game; the kid cost us literally 12 runs in the 1st inning ( so not exaggerating this)

Our record now is 10-10. Just like that! My son is playing better over all, but just frustrated with some of the attitudes in the dugout- he knows to keep his mouth shut and just DO HIS JOB!

Saturdays game was an absolute nightmare- the way they played as a team, I have seen 11U teams who played better- fly balls dropped with 3 guys watching the ball, one ball FO to 1st, no one catches it, no one touches it- if they would have just picked it up and touched 1st base, that would have been an easy out- instead the batter was safe and they scored a run

After games, in the car, with windows rolled up is our time to vent, recall events that occurred during the game and bad mouth some of the players and review what he did in the game. He is very hard on himself and we discuss what he did, what he could have done instead and what he will do next time.

I dare not say anything to the coaches, I do know that the head varsity coach is in charge of making up a list of who plays where and when they hit and the freshman coaches make tweaks along the way- but I just want to scream WHY!!!!

Annual lottery -- I mean, single-elimination tournament -- to determine the D1 champion in CIF Southern Section starts Thursday. 25 public schools, 7 privates.

The bracket includes 10 of the top 36 teams in Maxpreps current national rankings (#1, #3, #7, #8, #11, #19, #26, #31, #35, #36), plus lots of other strong teams, so it really is a crapshoot. 

2019Dad posted:

Annual lottery -- I mean, single-elimination tournament -- to determine the D1 champion in CIF Southern Section starts Thursday. 25 public schools, 7 privates.

The bracket includes 10 of the top 36 teams in Maxpreps current national rankings (#1, #3, #7, #8, #11, #19, #26, #31, #35, #36), plus lots of other strong teams, so it really is a crapshoot. 

Does the southern section winner move on to play another region or is this it? Not familiar with CA. 

Too many schools and too big geographically, PA...   For most, winning your CIF Section Division is the end of the road.  The Southern Section is one of ten California sections and has roughly 600 schools.  It is the biggest and those schools are typically spread across seven divisions (D1 being the top) for baseball.  It is not uncommon to see a Southern Section division 3 school nationally ranked.  

There are over 1500 schools total in CA that are registered CIF HS's.  It is a 15 hour drive from Crescent City in the north to San Diego in the south.  Travel/accommodations would be a logistical and cost nightmare for HS's to participate in true state championships requiring multiple rounds of elimination.

Last edited by cabbagedad

So halfway through my son's freshman year on varsity.  Team is D1 in Wisconsin but is really young and trying to find itself.  4-7 with 5 losses by 1-2 runs.  Last year's infield was all seniors and outfield was all juniors so they had to turnover the whole group.  So big youth movement this year.  Infield is sophomores at 1B, 2B, and SS, with the C and my freshman son at 3B.  First 7 games son had at least one hit in every game but has been hitless last 3 but has been walked and hit some.  Also has pitched 3 scoreless innings.  So not tearing it up but not completely overmatched.

cabbagedad posted:

Too many schools and too big geographically, PA...   For most, winning your CIF Section Division is the end of the road.  The Southern Section is one of ten California sections and has roughly 600 schools.  It is the biggest and those schools are typically spread across seven divisions (D1 being the top) for baseball.  It is not uncommon to see a Southern Section division 3 school nationally ranked.  

There are over 1500 schools total in CA that are registered CIF HS's.  It is a 15 hour drive from Crescent City in the north to San Diego in the south.  Travel/accommodations would be a logistical and cost nightmare for HS's to participate in true state championships requiring multiple rounds of elimination.

Just curious as CA is one of the only states where their wrestling state tournament is a single class. One state champion at each weight class for the entire state. Wasn't sure if it worked that way for baseball as well. I figured they might have a neutral site picked out on a specific weekend that way different regions could play and have one state champion for division. That is how ours does it, but we also only have 4 regions with single elimination, 10 is a lot. 

PABaseball posted:
2019Dad posted:

Does the southern section winner move on to play another region or is this it? Not familiar with CA. 

My high school was Capistrano Valley! WOO WOO!

Go44dad posted:

Playoff time in Texas.  Team tied one and lost two in first three games of season.  Then went 23-1.  Is currently ranked #10 in Texas by Texas High School Baseball.  Tied for district championship at 13-1.  Other than top two teams, district is about average,  Son pitched 54 innings, gave up 3 ER's, 77 strikeouts.  He did take 2 of their 3 losses. Also hit 3-hole for the season.  A few weeks back he was at .500, probably just at that as regular season wrapped up.  

Team is in Texas 6A class.  Largest class in Texas. There are four regions.  Playoffs within Region are usually a best of 3.  Win the region, it becomes a single elim for the final two steps.

Here's to 12 in a row!

reg 3

Won two straight to win our first series.  Son pitched first game, won 7-1.  CG 6H 1ER / 2-4 w 2RBI's at plate. We won second game 3-1.  1-3 at plate.  Son and second starter only two kids to pitch.

meads posted:

A bit discouraged here as I am realizing that Freshman ball doesn't really matter and its all nothing but a way for Varsity coaches to scope out who they have coming up for JV and Varsity next year and in the coming years- that's fine and all, but the Freshman team were doing well this year with a record of 10-4 then the coaches started messing with who they put where and even put some kids in to play who have been on the DL list most of the season (don't get me wrong, they deserve to get some play time as well) but a PO the coaches put at 2B and in 1 game; the kid cost us literally 12 runs in the 1st inning ( so not exaggerating this)

Our record now is 10-10. Just like that! My son is playing better over all, but just frustrated with some of the attitudes in the dugout- he knows to keep his mouth shut and just DO HIS JOB!

Saturdays game was an absolute nightmare- the way they played as a team, I have seen 11U teams who played better- fly balls dropped with 3 guys watching the ball, one ball FO to 1st, no one catches it, no one touches it- if they would have just picked it up and touched 1st base, that would have been an easy out- instead the batter was safe and they scored a run

After games, in the car, with windows rolled up is our time to vent, recall events that occurred during the game and bad mouth some of the players and review what he did in the game. He is very hard on himself and we discuss what he did, what he could have done instead and what he will do next time.

I dare not say anything to the coaches, I do know that the head varsity coach is in charge of making up a list of who plays where and when they hit and the freshman coaches make tweaks along the way- but I just want to scream WHY!!!!

A counterpoint from my end.  No players on Senna Jr's team were self-declared POs. A solid 1/3 of the team rode the bench for 3/4 of the year (majority of appearances for a few were as courtesy/pinch runners). I would have loved to see them get in the games much more often just to get a real look at their ability and let them get to work in a game situation. I watched a lot of players who couldn't get it done on the field time and again continue to get starting spots while other players who were just as good if not better rode the pine. Was frustrating to see, especially as this should be all about development and seeing who can make it happen in game (not in the cages or during practice). Senna Jr started or played in nearly all games, so this isn't about him. 

Senna posted:
meads posted:

A counterpoint from my end.  No players on Senna Jr's team were self-declared POs. A solid 1/3 of the team rode the bench for 3/4 of the year (majority of appearances for a few were as courtesy/pinch runners). I would have loved to see them get in the games much more often just to get a real look at their ability and let them get to work in a game situation. I watched a lot of players who couldn't get it done on the field time and again continue to get starting spots while other players who were just as good if not better rode the pine. Was frustrating to see, especially as this should be all about development and seeing who can make it happen in game (not in the cages or during practice). Senna Jr started or played in nearly all games, so this isn't about him. 

A lot of boys from our Summer team are seeing the same issues on their school teams and can't wait for summer ball to start. I am excited to see how much my son has pushed to show the coaches he means business and how hard he works and when he plays, he knows he has earned that spot and to DO HIS JOB whether its the whole game or an inning.

We both get frustrated when the "elite starters" make error after error and cry like babies, but it also makes us laugh- as their season comes to a close (Thursday they start regionals and it will all be in the books by next Wednesday) he looks forward not only to Summer ball but also to playing JV and hopefully some Varsity next Spring! I don't see a couple of the boys making the JV team next year unless over the summer they really work hard and improve (a lot)!

(As to the PO, our coaches gave DH, PO and PR spots to 4 kids who were told they didn't make the team but would offer them a spot if they accept this only position)

State tournament starts tomorrow in Hawaii.  2019's team is the #2 seed. The bracket isn't nearly as impressive as the big dogs of Texas and California, but as Jack Handy says, 

"I hope if dogs take over the world, and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Son's last game was semi's in AAAAAA playoffs. Lost lost to eventual runner up. I heard through the grapevine from another coach that no one understood how we didn't win back to back titles with our group. I scratch  my head on that one too. Enjoy the next chapter/s, ours have flown by and we are hanging on while the ride is still going!

Son's 38 inning scoreless streak came to an end yesterday.  I'm pretty bummed (naturally, much more than my son who I'm not sure knew how long it was), as it came in an unexpected relief appearance, which he hasn't done in over a year.  As a starter, he has a typical pre-game routine, which you can't do when relieving.  Not only that, but now he can't make his scheduled start on Friday.  Think the coach panicked a little yesterday and didn't want the W to slip away.

I knew the streak would end eventually, but would have preferred it happen in one of his starts.  Oh well, continued focus on staying healthy and making a run at states... 

CTbballDad posted:

Son's 38 inning scoreless streak came to an end yesterday.  I'm pretty bummed (naturally, much more than my son who I'm not sure knew how long it was), as it came in an unexpected relief appearance, which he hasn't done in over a year.  As a starter, he has a typical pre-game routine, which you can't do when relieving.  Not only that, but now he can't make his scheduled start on Friday.  Think the coach panicked a little yesterday and didn't want the W to slip away.

I knew the streak would end eventually, but would have preferred it happen in one of his starts.  Oh well, continued focus on staying healthy and making a run at states... 

That's awesome!

My son is also a starter pitcher (freshman) but sometimes goes in as relief. He is definitely not our fastest pitcher but the most consistent. (His FB tops out at 72) He has faced 91 batters and only allowed 12 hits and 2 earned runs this season. His ERA is 1.08 He threw a no hitter last month. The next closest pitcher to him has an ERA of  3.98

2022 playing varsity just wrapped up the regular season.  Had a good year at the plate (but got a good dose of mid-80s fastballs and senior curve balls too), got a couple of saves and one start on the bump, and played SS regularly.  Good start to his high school career.  Playoffs and then on to travel ball tourneys starting the first weekend in June.  Love having this time with him.

My son's varsity team is playing in the 6A Arizona State Championship game next week! It's been 10 years since they last made it that far. Had to play an extra elimination game to make it to semi finals so boys are a bit worn down and pitching is getting tight 🤪. Pretty sure they can go all the way on pure adrenalin and smart small ball though!

Last edited by BBMomAZ
Go44dad posted:

Amid days of rain, flood, delays and cancellations, son's team was able to find a turf field and get in a double header in round 2 of the Texas 6A playoffs.  Won both.  Son pitched complete game for one of the wins.  Moving on to the third round, with hopefully better weather.

222 bracket

Same up north for us in 5A.  Won both (not as pretty or as easy as we'd like), but like coach says, "we get to practice on Monday, they don't".

Russinfortworth, we have won 26 of last 27 games. If you listen to us parents talk, the school may never win another game in our lifetime. 

The kids have played well. Won our series in a doubleheader fri. No errors, one baserunner picked off, several double plays for the day, cut offs hit, bunts put down. 

Chihuahua barking here. There's joy in Honolulu-ville tonight, as son's team won state championship. He was 5/13 for the league and state tournaments, got the game winning hit in the league tournament final, and kept things going with a single during a big rally in the State Championship game.  What a long, exhausting journey his team had. Totally worth it.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by smokeminside

With all the rain, still playing out the season. 2020 on V has 3 games remaining. Should finish in 1st or 3rd place. Then there is a seeding tournament, then playoffs. Could go to til second week of June.

2022 on JV thew a perfect game Friday night (7IP, 13K, 92P). Had 3 3-0 counts, including last batter of the game. They may move him up to varsity for the playoffs.  JV team will finish around 5 or 6th in the league before playoffs.

My frosh kid's team will start playoffs this weekend. They only missed a few games due to crappy weather and it turned out to be a very good team with only a couple of 1 or 2 run losses against strong JV teams. The kid did very well with some gaudy numbers but I was most impressed he was able to get hits in the games with really good pitchers. He batted in the middle of the line up did a lot of DH which he was fine with. The frosh playoffs is very short as there are only a few frosh teams. It looks like his team is in the finals and will play a 3 games series with a single game followed by a double header the next day.

2022NYC posted:

My frosh kid's team will start playoffs this weekend. They only missed a few games due to crappy weather and it turned out to be a very good team with only a couple of 1 or 2 run losses against strong JV teams. The kid did very well with some gaudy numbers but I was most impressed he was able to get hits in the games with really good pitchers. He batted in the middle of the line up did a lot of DH which he was fine with. The frosh playoffs is very short as there are only a few frosh teams. It looks like his team is in the finals and will play a 3 games series with a single game followed by a double header the next day.

Is your son in the PSAL or CHSAA?

Iowamom23 posted:
GameDayToday posted:

Meanwhile, in Iowa, the regular season starts next week.

Just in time for all the parents who spent last weekend huddled in our parkas at college games to break out the suntan lotion for when it hits the upper 80s this weekend when we go watch "spring" HS games. Gotta love it. Don't we?

You guys have a sense of humor. I guess you need one. 

BBMomAZ posted:

My son's varsity team is playing in the 6A Arizona State Championship game next week! It's been 10 years since they last made it that far. Had to play an extra elimination game to make it to semi finals so boys are a bit worn down and pitching is getting tight 🤪. Pretty sure they can go all the way on pure adrenalin and smart small ball though!

We came up short in the Championship but had a great season nonetheless. My son (2020 RHP) was selected to play on the Arizona team at the Junior Sunbelt Classic in Oklahoma. Should be a fun experience as they stay with local host families for the week!

Last edited by BBMomAZ
BBMomAZ posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

We came up short in the Championship but had a great season nonetheless. My son (2020 RHP) was selected to play on the Arizona team at the Junior Sunbelt Classic in Oklahoma. Should be a fun experience as they stay with local host families for the week!

How exciting for him! Good luck

Still alive, still kicking in region 3.  Stands have filled up.  Student sections screaming at opposing players about how easy their girlfriend was.  Pressure has picked up.  Both teams wobbled a bit.  Won rubber game 5-4 in last inning.  Bases loaded in bottom of 7th.  Cracked line drive to the RF wall.  RF runs it down for the win.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1129926276100296704

Winner of region advances to state playoffs.

222 bracket

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 222 bracket
russinfortworth posted:

Lost game 1 of series on Thursday night 3-0. 

"Our" (give the wife credit) freshman pitched last night 7IP 1H 8K 2BB 1HBP 0 runs. 

We win 2-0 and wait out the weather today for game 3.  

Lost game number 3 by a score of 5-4 in 8 innings.  Scored 2 in the top of 7 to tie it, but left runners on 2/3 with 1 out in the same inning.   Good year for a Freshman on varsity who really isn't a pitcher but ended with decent record (10-0-1 with a 2.3 ERA).  Played CF (and occasionally SS) while hitting 380 with an OBP of 505.  All for a team that was ranked in the top 10 in state 2nd highest division for much of the year.  Exceeded any expectations that I had.  

On to the summer where he can roam CF for a very good 15U team while us Dad's discuss the HS season, visit many hotels and restaurants, and hope our wives don't spend too much during the down time .  

Good luck to those still in the playoffs and hope everyone has a healthy, productive summer season.

Last edited by russinfortworth

2020's Varsity team finished 1st in their league (NYC) out of 21 teams. Seeing round starts tomorrow. 2022 JV finished season strong winning last 2 regular season games to win our borough (think division). Overall 6th seed out of 21. Lost first playoff game today to put us in the losers bracket. Next game is Weds. Son will be eligible to pitch again that game.

Francis7 posted:

I think my freshman son got his answer today.

After tryouts, he was told to be prepared to play anywhere. But, he always ended up with the varsity kids. That was a good sign...but, you never assume anything.

Today, they handed out uniforms. Coach told the kids that some would be going back and forth between JV and Varsity...so, be sure to take one of each uniform.

My son took a varsity uniform. And, when he went to get a JV one, the coach said "What are you doing? Sit back down."

Pretty cool.

HS season just ended.

It was 80 days, 23 games (over 7 weeks) and around 45 practices (give or take). Very proud of my kid’s season. He was just the 3rd freshman to make the opening day varsity roster at our HS in the last 7 years. He was a starter in 21 of their 23 games and caught 81% of the 150 innings that varsity played this season. He hit 2 home runs this spring – making him the only varsity player to hit more than one. And, he had an On Base Average of .403 in 62 varsity Plate Appearances. More importantly, he set a goal last fall and worked extremely hard, made sacrifices, stayed focused and turned it into a reality this spring. All the credit goes to him. It’s his talent, drive and effort that made it happen.

It exceeded all my expectations of his HS season as a freshmen and was a pleasure to watch.

My son pitched in his regional playoff game last night. During his warmups his left scap seized up so tight he said he could hardly breath. I didn't know what was wrong but I could tell his velo was down. Of course he didn't say anything to the coach and went 6 2/3 innings giving up 5 hits and 4 runs, but his teammates had his back and he got the win 9-4. We're supposed to play Saturday for the regional championship but there's LOTS of rain forecast from now until Tuesday so who knows what will happen. Since their prom is tonight it might be good to push the game back anyway!!!

Go44dad posted:

In Texas 6A, we are at the red arrow today.  Son starts tonight.  The four Region winners go to the state championship single elim tourney.  There are a couple occasional posters that are in Region 4.  Hope we get to meet up in a couple weeks.

222 bracket

Well, won last night. We are here now. 

Inked222 bracket_LI

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Inked222 bracket_LI

Son (15) did his first HR derby today. It was a wash 😢 10 boys, 5 pitches each, no one hit it over the fence. No winner declared. A few boys (My son  being one hit deep into the outfield) but the only way to win was hitting it over the fence- I thought they should have taken the top hitters and have a hit off and the furthest wins, but nope. Pitch #4 was his best hit to Left field, back fence was 300’ his ball was probably 280-285’

Well, my 2022 on JV got knocked out of the city playoffs yesterday in the quarter finals. Good game, was down 2-0, up 4-2, lost 5-4 on a walk off in the 7th. It was against a team which has a kid he on his summer ball team. They've played together for about 5 years. That summer team had their first tournament of the summer yesterday, loser had to make it to the tournament...

My 2020 had his first varsity game of the city championship round today. They won 6-0 (double elimination). My son will be pitching game 2 tomorrow. Hoping a few schools he's been in touch with that have lost in their conference tournaments will get down to see him.

Not sure if it was smart, but I just sent my 2019 daughter a text, as it's extremely likely they'll get eliminated today in States.  Let's just say I had to grab a tissue before hitting send.  Just told her to enjoy the day with her teammates and how proud I am of her.

Not going to do the same with her twin brother, as their game should come down the wire, and I want nothing but positive vibes.  He's a PO and not available, so I want nothing more for a W and to be able to see him pitch another HS game.

Both teams were eliminated yesterday.  I was hoping they would be on separate days, but it just never works out that way with twins.  Daughter and I handled it quite well.  I think she cried her tears last summer after her last travel game.  Plus, I think she always enjoyed her travel experiences a little bit better and those players are still some of her closest friends.

I wasn't at my son's game and it stinks that they lost without him being able to do anything about it.  But, that's the way it goes.  The team really bonded this year and they spent a considerable amount of time on the field together afterwards.  My son received post game texts from many of the underclassman which made me more proud than his on the field accomplishments.  Based on the things they said, it was obvious he was a great teammate and leader, something he'll hopefully carry forward with him through life.

No summer ball for either, so I now have a lot of time on my hands until February 15, 2020.  What the !@#$ am I going to do?

baseballhs posted:
Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:

I know the feeling. Scared to even talk today.

I see you Region 4.  Son goes tonight to try and close out Kingwood and win Region 3.

Good luck! Been trying to watch via GC but neither team had it going last night. Who is pitching Kingwood?

Not sure.  Winn we think.  But he could be hurt, strange he didn't pitch last night.

Neither team broadcasts the game.  I think Vype radio will have it, and Texans Live.  But the links seem hard to find.

Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:
Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:

I know the feeling. Scared to even talk today.

I see you Region 4.  Son goes tonight to try and close out Kingwood and win Region 3.

Good luck! Been trying to watch via GC but neither team had it going last night. Who is pitching Kingwood?

Not sure.  Winn we think.  But he could be hurt, strange he didn't pitch last night.

Neither team broadcasts the game.  I think Vype radio will have it, and Texans Live.  But the links seem hard to find.

Here is the link to the Houston Chronicle article on the game.

https://www.chron.com/sports/h...innings-13908695.php

Congrats to both Go44Dad and BaseballHS...There is no way possible I can imagine a HS athletic event more thrilling or taxing on the emotions for players and parents than the 5 weeks of the run to the 6A State Tourney in Texas..You have survived...enjoy Round Rock...

The LT / Southlake game will be a spectacle....guessing 7-8K there for that one...

Go44... be happy with the 4PM game no matter the heat...7 of the last 8 5A/6A  state champions have come from the early game whether it was 12 or 4...The turnaround from the last game is tough...11 PM before you leave the stadium...12:30 or 1 by the time the team eats...shower / wind down...2:30 or 3 before most of the team can relax a little and sleep...the early game team is on a more normal routine...

My son hit a HR earlier this week for his Summer ball team and we just found out there was a scout there at the game and he talked to the coach and said he was impressed and is looking at a few boys. He asked for a schedule and will be coming to more games

The coach told ALL the boys that they need to play every game as if they are being watched. I didn't tell my son this but I have to tone down the cheering because I don't want some coach to think I'm one of those crazy parents.... I do pretty good most of the time until he hits a HR (this is his 2nd career HR with many more to come) or pitches really well 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.