Skip to main content

Would love anyone's thoughts on this. Here is where we're at:

My son is a 6'2" 195 pound CF/RHP. Starter on his varsity team since Freshman year. Top-3 player on his travel team, been to IMG, PG (including Lake Pointe) and PBR showcases. Runs a 7.03 60, outfield velocity 92, bat exit velocity 95, top fastball on the mound 87. Plays football (which meant he had to miss a few fall travel tournaments last year) but has been working extremely hard in the off season and barring injury, should have a monster junior year. He has a 3.7 GPA and scored a 1210 on the SAT in his first attempt.

He's had several nibbles. A mid-tier D1 school followed him like a puppy dog at all of his games at Lake Point last year, he's done an unofficial visit at a Big Ten school, he's gone to camps at a few top D-1 schools and gone up to speak to coaches who clearly knew who he is. All good, right?

My feeling is that signing day with his senior year is fast approaching - too fast. So many top programs already have committed 9-14 players in his class, while he hasn't had any solid verbal offers. Clearly he is on a few radar screens, but I'm wondering if given his stats/reputation he should have been committed by now?

He's really hoping to go to a top-30 baseball school primarily as a centerfielder who possibly can pitch. Are our hopes too high? Should we attack more mid-tier D-1 programs? D-2/D-3? Or should we just chill out and expect to gain interest and possibly offers once the college season is over?

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The number of kids that get "recruited" relative to the entire population of kids playing ball is small. 

I would be spending my time targeting schools where your son is an academic, social and financial fit where he might be able to play baseball. Start spending your time learning about schools where your son will get a good education, grow as a person and if all works out can play baseball.

Until you get out and about, introduce your son to what opportunities exists (I would strongly suggest beyond your backyard and the big D-1 schools).

Start the process of your son "recruiting" a school. Learn what schools make sense for your son. Go to them, call the coach/recruiting director, learn about the program. It is far easier for them to "recruit" a kid that has an interest in their school and has taken it upon himself to introduce himself. 

If you wait for them to come to you; you risk not finding an opportunity. If you go out and make something happen, you have a far greater opportunity finding a program that will serve your son and family well.

Last edited by ILVBB

I may be reading this wrong, but it doesn't sound like your son has been very pro active in reaching out to schools, emailing coaches, sending out videos, basically marketing himself to schools.  Those numbers sound really good, but if you are not getting that information to targeted coaches, then it doesn't matter.  I would suggest that you both sit down and come up with a list of 30-50 schools of all levels that are a good fit baseball wise and academically as well and reach out to those coaches and send info to them.  Try not to get caught up with how many 2019 kids are already committed.  You still have time but need to be active in the search.  I would also look to expand your geographic search as much as possible and what works within your budget and other college considerations.  There is a ton of great info on here to read and review.    Good Luck! 

Last edited by FriarFred

JohnnyBaseballog,

Thanks for posting.  So, I think your son's sights and your expectations maybe a little high based on your post.  Most top 30 D1 programs have speedier centerfielders (sub 6.5) , so it may be that they did not look at him in that context.   Your son may be a better fit somewhere other than a top 30 D1 program.   Where, I don't know.  But I think you and your son need to target some more appropriate schools as ILVBB suggests.  I would not "chill out", I would get on this immediately.   You get one shot to be a recruited college baseball player out of high school.   I would not wait but rather develop a plan that fits athletics, academic and financial requirements.   It is a lot of hard work.

One sentence that did catch my eye was your son's 1210 SAT.   This has the possibility to catch many higher academic schools coaches eyes, but you have to bring this to their attention.  They may be looking for someone like your son.   If your son can improve that SAT score on his second try, then he may be able to get even more attention among some elite high academic schools.  Again, this is something you have to want, develop a strategy for and then execute the plan.

Good luck and let us know if we can help!

I will take a bit of a different approach and talk about what it takes to be a CF at a top 30 program.  If that is your son’s current and realistic 60 time that unfortunately will not make the footspeed grade at that level from what I have seen.  

All 3 OFs at son’s school are pretty solidly sub 7.0 and All American CF is sub 6.5.   Son’s best friend played a lot of CF for UT last year. He is 6.4-6.5 guy. Their entire OF at UT is projected to be 6.5ish guys. 

Your son’s other metrics would all get him into the conversation as an OF at those top 30 schools so don’t despair too much. Son played on summer team which ended up with 11 D1 guys from top 40 programs to mid tier programs. Only 4 committed before summer after junior year. All of those were pitchers.  Rest late summer including the UT kid.  You still have plenty of time.  

Good luck!!

Really appreciate all the feedback I've received. Should have mentioned we have done the NCSA recruiting site, my son's contacted a ton of coaches, even has some of their personal phone numbers. What I'm gathering from all of you so far is that yes we do need to act and narrow down a realistic list, and that unless the 60 time goes sub-7.00, the top schools won't be looking at him as a CF, right?

Again, this has been so helpful so thanks for all of your time, and would love to hear more!

The two-way notion (CF/P) is extremely unlikely with top 30 programs, even if he has all the desirable qualifications for each.  Top 30 programs are able to attract plenty of those types of 2-ways but almost always, they ultimately choose one or the other best direction for the player based on how they see him best helping the program.

If he really feels strongly about being a 2-way, he should aim at lower levels who would be more welcoming of a drop-down that wants to do both.

cabbagedad posted:

The two-way notion (CF/P) is extremely unlikely with top 30 programs, even if he has all the desirable qualifications for each.  Top 30 programs are able to attract plenty of those types of 2-ways but almost always, they ultimately choose one or the other best direction for the player based on how they see him best helping the program.

If he really feels strongly about being a 2-way, he should aim at lower levels who would be more welcoming of a drop-down that wants to do both.

Yes forgot to address this. Agree with Cabbagedad.  Two ways at that level are pretty rare. Son’s school will have one this year and had one recently that was very successful. Interesting that they were both juco transfers and had shown they could two way at strong juco programs. 

Son entered as a freshman with one who even made a few starts in the field last year as well as being our Friday night guy. He gave up hitting halfway through season. Told me it was just too hard to be good at both and work was impacting his pitching and recovery too much. 

Agree with getting in front of Patriot League. If I was in your area I'd also try to get in front of Atlantic 10 coaches.  Some really good schools in that conference.  Good luck!

At the risk of thread drift -- aren't there more 2-way guys of late?  Just looking at D1 preseason AA team and there are 3  guys that I know of on that list who played a position and pitched last year, 2 of the 3 pitched a lot.

Great feedback for you thus far.  SAT score and footspeed:

You said your son had a 1210 SAT on his first try?  That's equivalent to a 26-27 on the ACT, decent start, don't give up, I'd suggest getting a tutor to help yield more points.  Reference:  Duke requires a 26 ACT so he's fine for top D1's, but extra points will help, especially, if he reroutes toward the Patriot or Ivy Leagues.   You never know. 

Concur with the footspeed, get in a speed program and get that down.  Even at Ivy D1's, their OFs are 6.7ish if not faster.  

Can he play corner IF?

Putting together a camp showcase plan for the summer is a must right now, because you'll have to coordinate around his summer club schedule, and a lot of the camps and showcases can sell out, so you need to know the schedule.

Good timing coming to the board.

7+ 60 time and an 87 mph RHP would fit will at my son's mid-major.  Most of the guys are closer to 90 by the time they get to college, but he seems to be on his way to that.  As others have said...not a lot of 2 ways guys, and unfortunately at this point, your son's numbers likely aren't Top 30 at either position....but again, should be enough to get him some D1 noticed.  Keep putting him in front of as many coaches as you can by email/video now (college season has started)....and get him to some good events where coaches will see him this summer

Agree with all of the above. If I were in your shoes I would pursue A10, Patriot League and Colonial Athletic Conference schools.   I would also develop a plan for high academic D3 schools.  Look into a company called Play to Win if you decide to focus on D3 academic schools. Try to get an invite to Area Code tryouts in your area. This will require the endorsement of a MLB scout so figure out how to make that connection. Above all you need someone with credibility in the baseball world to endorse your son. It can be a scout, a coach, or an instructor. Your job is too figure out who that is based on your own personal baseball network.

adbono posted:

Agree with all of the above. If I were in your shoes I would pursue A10, Patriot League and Colonial Athletic Conference schools.   I would also develop a plan for high academic D3 schools.  Look into a company called Play to Win if you decide to focus on D3 academic schools. Try to get an invite to Area Code tryouts in your area. This will require the endorsement of a MLB scout so figure out how to make that connection. Above all you need someone with credibility in the baseball world to endorse your son. It can be a scout, a coach, or an instructor. Your job is too figure out who that is based on your own personal baseball network.

First time I've heard of "Play to Win"...

Gov posted:
adbono posted:

Me too....just checked it out....no fee listing....which tells me it's going to be pricey.  There's nothing that any recruiting/scouting service can do for you that you can't do for ALOT less money and get just as much or better results. 

JohnnyBaseballOG posted:

Really appreciate all the feedback I've received. Should have mentioned we have done the NCSA recruiting site, my son's contacted a ton of coaches, even has some of their personal phone numbers. What I'm gathering from all of you so far is that yes we do need to act and narrow down a realistic list, and that unless the 60 time goes sub-7.00, the top schools won't be looking at him as a CF, right?

Again, this has been so helpful so thanks for all of your time, and would love to hear more!

Your son needs to get way below a 6.9 sixty to play centerfield at a D1. The top thirty program boat has probably sailed. Except for coming up with an open roster spot due to the draft (recruit signing rather than going to college) there probably won’t be any spots. He also needs to decide if he’s an outfielder or a pitcher. Few players do both in college. It’s a lot of work. 

87 is an adequate velocity for a mid major. 6.8 could probably put him in a corner outfield position. Don’t rule out top D2’s and D3’s. The objective is to get into an opportunity to get on the field and have a positive college baseball experience. 

Your son isnt late to focus on mid major to D3. But it’s time to figure out the game plan for the summer to get in front of the right schools. 

Buckeye 2015 posted:
Gov posted:
adbono posted:

Me too....just checked it out....no fee listing....which tells me it's going to be pricey.  There's nothing that any recruiting/scouting service can do for you that you can't do for ALOT less money and get just as much or better results. 

I would normally agree with that statement, but in this case I don’t. Play to Win is a little pricey, but they can do things that you can’t. Or maybe I should say, they are more effective with the things they do than you will be. I have seen the results myself.  If high academic D3 is your target, and spending a few grand is not a problem, they are a good bet to get you where you want to go.  Assuming you can play, and have the requisite academic track record. 

If a kid with the OP's measurables and grades attends a Headfirst Camp and plays really well, he'll have a whole bunch of D3 opportunities, for less money, especially if he can up those test scores a bit.

... tho it doesn't sound like this family is ready to look at D3 quite yet.

Good advice so far. Reality check - he is not going to two way at a top 30 program and as others have pointed out he should expand the net he is casting. That said don't give up on the two/way if he wants as you never know.  This was was 6 years ago but my son had similar stats to yours except his academics were higher and he ended up a national champ D3 and did actually play two way his freshmen year, went hitter only in Soph, and the start of Jr yr, got injured and switched to pitching the balance of his Jr and Sr year. So it can be done if the coaches are supportive and he is prepared to do twice the work.... He could be corner OF/DH/Pitcher maybe but it also gives him recruiting flexibility. BTW he would never make CF at my son's D3 also, they were all 6.5 guys. 

He has time and he should focus on next summer where the real action will be, get the scores up and broaden the search and he should be fine.

Good Luck!

You've mentioned he's had a few nibbles, unofficial visits, etc.  What type of feedback is he getting from coache's that he has spoken to?  Did they indicate they see him as a potential 2way and did you get a sense as to where/how they think he would fit in their program.  Are your travel coaches in a position to give you feedback on where they see your son.  I would try to get as much candid feedback from folks who have seen him play as possible.  What you hear may ultimatley help you determine what are appropriate target schools.

You're getting very good advice from others on how to proactively push this along.  It's important to try to target schools he feels comofrtable with athletically, academically, socially and finanically.  

I can't stress, however, how important it was for my son to not only have a college recuriting plan, but also to keep that plan as sepearate from playing baseball as possible - Got to stay focussed on improving, staying positive and making the most of every opportunity in front of an audience.  It may feel like its moving slowly, but if he develops a plan he will have opportunities over the summer and he will need to make the most of them. 

Wow! From scanning this board I knew I would get at least decent replies, never expected the overwhelming encouragement and outstanding advice I've seen in this thread. To all of you, thank you so much, you truly helped clarify the next direction we should take with our son and his hopes to play college baseball. I wish all of you luck, and from the bottom of this dad's heart, thanks!

Those numbers you posted at .220 and a ERA of 4.3 are one thing.  At .435 w/10 hr's and a 1.2 ERA are another. Your sons numbers with the later averages were close to what my son had in HS and he's at a power 5 as a two way (at least for the moment). Now that's at 1st base, not OF. If he does play OF next year as a sophomore it will be a corner.

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned juco. It seems my kid has found a home but at times I've regretted not giving that route a closer look. Maybe not as prestigious as DI but it would seem to provide one a much better understanding of where they fit in on the field at the college level. 

6'2" 195 pounds and top fastball is 87. 

Based on that, I'd say he has the size and projects to pitch at the next level. I'd focus dedicated training and all efforts in that direction as every team is interested in pitching versus another outfielder. If he can get to 89-90 by the summer with FB command and a couple of other pitches he should be in real good shape. Does he have a pitching coach?

Last edited by fly996
BOF posted:

Good advice so far. Reality check - he is not going to two way at a top 30 program and as others have pointed out he should expand the net he is casting. That said don't give up on the two/way if he wants as you never know.  This was was 6 years ago but my son had similar stats to yours except his academics were higher and he ended up a national champ D3 and did actually play two way his freshmen year, went hitter only in Soph, and the start of Jr yr, got injured and switched to pitching the balance of his Jr and Sr year. So it can be done if the coaches are supportive and he is prepared to do twice the work.... He could be corner OF/DH/Pitcher maybe but it also gives him recruiting flexibility. BTW he would never make CF at my son's D3 also, they were all 6.5 guys. 

He has time and he should focus on next summer where the real action will be, get the scores up and broaden the search and he should be fine.

Good Luck!

BOF has it correctly above, when he says that it takes coaching support.  Some PC's are not down with their ace pitchers playing both ways, and it requires a lot of support from the staff. Generally the pitchers are having their practice at the same time as the position players. The staff needs to be flexible to make sure the kid is able to get his work in on both sides.  Not to mention, school is WAY harder than you can imagine, if he takes a real degree.  It has been an eye opener for Ryno trying to play baseball and majoring in Accounting.  Most of the team takes the same major that is far less demanding.  

Another aspect to consider is the mental side.  When Ryan DH'd as a Freshman (D-1 JC), he did pretty well as a hitter (Not a lot of AB's), but his ERA was higher than he would like.  In the off season, he decided to just focus on pitching...he led the nation in ERA!  He said it was so much better to not have to worry about doing both. Being able to focus just on his pitching increased his results exponentially.  

There are many kids that can go both ways, but you have to have all the stars aligned, the right support, the right major, the right school, etc.  

On a side note, son plays at Purdue, and they are ranked maybe 60 in the nation, and ALL of their outfielders can FLY!

Last edited by rynoattack

To answer a few additional questions, yes he is an excellent hitter, set his high school record for hits in a single season last year. He is definitely a power hitter and is looking to load up on HRs, 2Bs and 3Bs this season. He is also an exceptional base runner, which protects him somewhat from being walked too much.

As for pitching, he's always had great velocity but some control problems that he resolved about a year ago. While he has always had a love/hate relationship with pitching, he's kept doing it to keep two doors open for college and because his HS coach will be relying on his arm this season. But from what I've read, looking to be a two-way is unrealistic.

JohnnyBaseballOG posted:

To answer a few additional questions, yes he is an excellent hitter, set his high school record for hits in a single season last year. He is definitely a power hitter and is looking to load up on HRs, 2Bs and 3Bs this season. He is also an exceptional base runner, which protects him somewhat from being walked too much.

As for pitching, he's always had great velocity but some control problems that he resolved about a year ago. While he has always had a love/hate relationship with pitching, he's kept doing it to keep two doors open for college and because his HS coach will be relying on his arm this season. But from what I've read, looking to be a two-way is unrealistic.

Don’t think about 2B, 3B and HR’s. It’s an avenue to a slump. Only think in terms of driving the ball from gap to gap and let the chips fall where they may. College coaches see potential. Players usually get stronger in a college workout program. It’s not uncommon for a college player to develop more power soph year of college. 

Being an excellent base runner doesn’t cover up his sixty time. In high school college prospects are often playing against a lot players they just don’t fear. In college there are a lot of 6.5 to 6.8 base runners with great base running instincts. At 7+ he better have good base running skills.

As someone else posted I believe his best shot at higher level ball is as a pitcher. He has classic pitcher size and velocity that can most likely be cranked up to 90 with quality instruction and physical development.

The thing about college outfielders is most were recruited as centerfielders and moved to the corners. Or they were recruited shortstops moved to the outfield. The slow D1 outfielders typically run a 6.7.

Where in the Northeast are you? 

Last edited by RJM

While the general "rule" is not to have two way players, there are individual exceptions and even coaches who love two way players. On S's college team over the years there were three two way players; two are now playing at the MLB level - one as a SP, the other as a 1B. (The league was in the bottom half of D1.)

The SP was touching mid-90s and was also the starting college SS; the 1B touched 90 and also started at 1B. Both were first team league players; one was POY (and probably the best player over the prior decade).

It's really hard become a master of both ways; you need to practice as if you don't do the other position, so it's a lot more practice. And that is on top of the college social and academic work load.

But, in reality, he won't have the choice; the coach will use him in whatever way gives the team the best shot of winning (including never letting him see the field).

SomeBaseballDad posted:

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned juco. It seems my kid has found a home but at times I've regretted not giving that route a closer look. Maybe not as prestigious as DI but it would seem to provide one a much better understanding of where they fit in on the field at the college level. 

if I had to do it over again for my 1st one, JUCO would have been the route right away.  His numbers were almost identical to your son's.  (87/88 of the mound) He had sniffs from mid-level D1 and some IVY, but in the end "settled" for a D2 without doing his homework on fit as a student.  He hated it and went to JUCO for year 2 where he matured physically and mentally.  He is now a D1 that should do well in the regionals this year.

As far as 2 way, it is unbelievably hard.  Best kid here in AZ my son's senior year, all state QB, ran a 6.5, 91-92 mph fastball and was state Gatorade player of the year, he has struggled as 2-way guy at a mid-major.  Only other kid I know is a JUCO transfer to a top 30 program.  Big lefty that is 91-92 and has 10-15 HR potential at first.  They will give him a chance this year to try 2 way, but we will see how that works out.

JohhnyBaseball, one thing you might want to do is spend a couple hours on the PG site, looking at the recruited outfielders at your son's target schools. There will be wide variation within D1. When you look at the data, you will see some schools who recruit outfielders who run 6.8 or 6.9 or even 7.0 as juniors in high school (which doesn't mean that they aren't 6.7 or 6.6 in college, but at this point you are focused on getting recruited). 

I have done this kind of legwork for pitching, but not for outfield, but I would suggest it would be worth your time. Just by way of example, here are two of the three outfielders in the (current national champion) University of Florida 2019 recruiting class (the third doesn't have a 60 time listed):

www.perfectgame.org/Players/Pl...ofile.aspx?ID=379789

www.perfectgame.org/Players/Pl...ofile.aspx?ID=438778

As others have mentioned, if your son is at 7.03, with a little speed work he may be able to get to a 6.8 or 6.9.

Good luck to you and your son!!

Agree with all the above.  Will add some stuff to ponder.  My son only desire was to play D1.  In hs he received numerous accolades by the time he graduated.  His fit was mid D1 schools.  He didn't even consider (nor they consider him) top 30 schools.  He ended up at a very good academic D1 school with a good baseball program (they made it to WS a few years earlier but were eliminated).  It was at this mid D1 school he had the opportunity to play every day and show his talent.  If your son's desires is to make it to WS then yes a top 30 school is the best bet, though uncertain how much playing time he will get.  If he has the talent can he make a name for himself at a mid to lower D1 school and possibly create interest in the next level....a better chance. Shine and get noticed at the best opportunity.  Good luck

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.