Skip to main content

Just an FYI, the applications for the 2020 AZ Fall Classic Junior and Senior games are already open.  I believe much earlier than normal.  Thought I'd give you fine folks a heads up, as this is something many of our posters say is worth the money and the trip if you have a player that qualifies.  Of course I posted this AFTER I got Lefty's app in

https://azfallclassic.com/

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

LousyLefty posted:

Just an FYI, the applications for the 2020 AZ Fall Classic Junior and Senior games are already open.  I believe much earlier than normal.  Thought I'd give you fine folks a heads up, as this is something many of our posters say is worth the money and the trip if you have a player that qualifies.  Of course I posted this AFTER I got Lefty's app in

https://azfallclassic.com/

Wow, that is really early! I second the recommendation to get your kid on the list for the Academic Game try-outs as soon as possible, especially if he is a position player. They fill the spots on a first come-first serve basis.

Anyone out here for this weekend and the JR Fall classic and/or academic tryout? I do not know if it normal but there appears to be a LOT of people on the roster for the tryout. 35 C / 90 IF / 28 OF /65 P trying out for 6 catchers, 16 infielders, 12 outfielders, 2 DH, and 18-20 pitching spots.

Feel free to DM me if you are going to be hanging out during the tryout...we can give each other the secret HSBBW social distanced handshake!

Son was invited to play in the game. What an awesome experience...some legit players at the tryout. LOTS of smart kids play baseball! It was fun for son to meet and see kids from all over (SoCal, AZ, NM, WA, Co to name a few). 

He caught a kid throwing 86-88 with good command in the tryout and caught the MVPitcher in the game. 1/2 with a steal of 3rd. Also hit a catchers glove halfway down the 3rd baseline for a catcher interference (did not know he could still hit but learned after that while standing on first). 

Thanks to those here who talked about this over a year ago!

Attachments

Videos (1)
FullSizeRender

Thanks for the kind words JC/Rip/Senna/Dbelly! Nice to meet you briefly LousyLefty. 

After DM-ing Oski for the past 9 months it was such a treat to spend a bunch of time at the tryout and the game talking. Your kind and encouraging words about and to my son are appreciated. 

Got to let the board know that Oski’s boy is the real deal and I look forward to reading his name in the box scores from 2020-2024! Has a cannon of an arm and saw him hit a bomb on one of his 14 tryout swings. Congrats to you as well Oski!

My son is playing on the JR Academic Team that was available to kids that were going to try out and had no team. Game today at 3:30 on Mariner 5 and tomorrow at 11:00 on Padre 6. DM me if anyone is close by and wants to connect. 

Hi 2021s. We are making the trek on Wednesday...

Best of luck to 2021s. There were very few scouts at Jr Classic, but thinking Sr should be a much more productive event since the timeline and those schools who are able to go match up a little better.  One 2022 we know got an offer out of Jr Classic from a mid-D1. Hmmm, must mean those guys in non-descript clothing (not a logo to be found, even on their backpack) taking copious notes must be talking to someone  

2021’s if you haven’t done so yet, I would recommend emailing every coach who attended last year (at a school you might be a good fit) with a little bit of video.  Make them come to your field! Get on their list of players to seek out.  It’s going to be really hard for 2021s to find a place to land. 

How many scouts are usually there in normal (non-covid) years?  Jr vs Sr?  we weren't there looking to get looked at (2023 in the Jr event) but to get his feet wet. To that end, I think mattysson had a very productive event. He played well at times, and poorly at times but, overall, id say it was beyond his and our expectations.  He learned that he is good enough to play with that caliber of players (was never overmatched and any troubles he had in the batters box originated between his ears) and that he needs to get a whole lot stronger. He's pretty strong compared to his friends and hs teammates but way down the strength list compared to a lot of the guys he saw and played with last weekend. he realized that technique and mechanics are find and dandy but there's a lot that he can't do because he isn't as strong and explosive as some other guys with the same mechanics. they're just a bit quicker and more explosive and that made a huge difference at times. great lesson for the boy.

there were a few scouts around.  a handful of mlb scouts scooting around checking things out. One actually watched my son pitch and had nice things to say (more of a "nice effort" kind of thing). he was a friend of one of our coaches and just hanging out. nothing to get excited about but a cool experience, nonetheless. I also saw a few recruiting services type guys, some D2, 2, naia guys as well as a bunch of those nondescript, unlogoed types. 

in a normal year, I'm assuming there would be more D1 types out there.  are there usually more scouts at the jr event or the sr event?  

Mattys, If you go to the AZFC website they list all the schools who attended last year since they cannot tell you who plans to come. Based on my (limited) scanning of who we saw, all the same non-D1 schools were there and there were more “incognitos” than we saw the past two years (at the Fresh and Soph classics).   The Senior Classic by far has the largest number of schools in attendance and many of them are not D1.  I’m guessing if they have the budget for it those same schools will be there. If I’m a D2 coach I’d be taking full advantage that D1s aren’t there and everyone is well aware offers for 2021s will be harder to get.....JMO. Keep in mind I’m just a mom of a 2022 who hasn’t really fully started the recruiting process.  

It will soon be time to register for the 2021 AZ fall classic events.  How does one go about finding a team for the event?

Does the player attending the Academic tryout have to be on a team in the Fall Classic?

– No. However we encourage all players that attend the tryout to attempt to get on a team in the Classic to allow the colleges more time to evaluate them further.

@notThatRJM posted:

It will soon be time to register for the 2021 AZ fall classic events.  How does one go about finding a team for the event?

Does the player attending the Academic tryout have to be on a team in the Fall Classic?

– No. However we encourage all players that attend the tryout to attempt to get on a team in the Classic to allow the colleges more time to evaluate them further.

I recommend that you contact the organizer at azfallclassic@gmail.com and ask about this.

Just sign up...also send them an email indicating your interest in playing the weekend and you not having a team. That is what my son did this past year...heard nothing for months and then about 2-4 weeks prior the tryout for the Academic Team was accepted and then were told about a team that the org had put together for orphans like my kid. It was a great experience as a whole for him. Son made the Academic game (that was the biggest deal and goal) and then played the rest of the weekend.

Be prepared as there are a BUNCH of kids that tryout. And many are really good (and supposedly smart) and a few that are not.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.