Skip to main content

First off, apologies for the "username." I am posting under a very old account.

College freshman, ambidextrous pitcher. Right side is much better side, fractured growth plate in left elbow (Little leaguer’s elbow) at 13 y/o. Up to 91 mph from the right side this spring, left side 81 mph.

More concerned about left side. Arm has never really feels good and throwing becomes painful relatively quickly. This has made some improvement recently due to me working on mechanics. I am attaching YouTube videos of both sides. Feel free to make comments on the right side as well, but any glaring issues on the left side?

Any help is much appreciated! I would love to be a functioning ambidextrous pitcher again! Thank you all!

RH: https://youtu.be/UFvhUSO6Xvs

LH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmkca6xhS2E

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When you say you "would love to be a functioning ambidextrous pitcher again", when were you last a functioning ambidextrous pitcher?  Prior to the 13u injury?  Were you recruited as an ambidextrous pitcher?

Perhaps not what you are looking for in terms of feedback, but why?   I think most would agree that an ambidextrous pitcher is a novelty at best.  As a RHP throwing 91 you have a tool that plays at a high level.  Why take time away from developing that tool further to work on the left side?

That is what I mean, yes. I should have clarified better. Up until 2020, I didn’t pitch in a game with my left arm (since April 2015). Just always too painful and was never able to build up arm strength on the side. I was recruited as a RHP but my coaches knew that with a lot of progress, my left side could hypothetically be usable.

I view being an ambidextrous pitcher as more than a novelty. I don’t disagree that my right side drove me to the next level. I would answer by asking a question too: why would I not try to develop both? I have plenty of time to work on my game, and although I could use the time I’m not throwing righty to work on other fundamentals righty, in my opinion if the endgame was to be a solid LHP too, why not try? Maybe it comes down to how attainable the LHP development is. That is part of my reasoning for asking for help on this forum. Thank you for your insightful question!

That does make sense. I do dream of playing at the next level, though. Do you mean that an ambidextrous pitcher really isn't useful (in general) at the next level? Or, if I thought I had the ability to develop the left side to a level that plays, shouldn't I try? What level does play as an ambidextrous pitcher from the left side?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get an understanding of your reasoning. My understanding is that Pat Venditte, for example, had that ability to do both at a high level, and it only helped him get to where he played. My hope is that I have a chance of developing the left side to a high level, and so why not try? Of course, I would be keeping up on the right side and improving there in the meantime.

As to the utility of an ambidextrous pitcher, both sides have to play at that level or they won't be viewed as useful tools.  Your left side is not going to give you an advantage over a LHP who has better stuff than you do from the left side.  You have to look at the two tools independently.   

Thus, my reasoning is that guys with a next level right arm have  a full time job training to get to the next level with that one tool.  Trying to drag along a substandard tool at the same time would take away from maximizing your best tool for that next level. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.