Skip to main content

I do not have one but love reading it every year.  Let's start with your son's grade, what level they play (middle school, 9th grade, jv or varsity), position, school if you would like to share (some of my favorite people on here are ones I've met in person by being at the same tournament or going to watch their kid play or vice versa.  During the season, keep us updated, good or bad.  This is one of my favorite parts of the message boards every year.  GO!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Son is a senior. School lost in Texas state finals 6A classification last year. Son hit third all season, missed school record for hits by a couple.  Was All State first team pitcher by sportswriters, second team by another group of voters.  Went 13-2 /1.17 era with 118 strikeouts in 95 innings. Six of his wins were in the playoffs.

Team looks to be just as good as last years team, different but probably just as good.  Besides the final game, they only lost one other playoff game.  Even so, it takes a lot of breaks to win five consecutive series to make it to the final four. It would be hard to believe if it all happened again.

Practice starts last week of January.  Scrimmages start about two weeks after that.  Looking forward to it getting started.

-2024 C/OF going to school in South Jersey (last year of middle school baseball -- thanks for the invite, PitchingFan)

-aspiring (and working his tail off) to make varsity next year at a Philadelphia INTER-AC school (just got his HS acceptance letter today!!!!)

- First day of practice in NJ is March 6, 2020

-MS team was strong (for small private school in SJ) last year, but is very young this year - not much established pitching. I'm wondering what my son will do if asked to pitch. He's not pitched more than an inning (and that very rarely) since he was 10 and had little league elbow. 

Son is sophomore catcher in NorCal - Sacramento area. Team won their league last year and 2 rounds in the playoffs. Returning many kids and should be very competitive. Son will either be back up varsity catcher or starting JV catcher. Starting varsity catcher is 2021 and already committed. Probably best player on the team. I have heard our pre-season schedule will be much tougher and we need that. 

Son is a sophomore middle infielder/RHP at Perry High School in middle Ga.  Team is holding tryouts as best they can - been raining almost every day this week.  So don't know what level if any he will be.  He swims also - so has been juggling practice and meets this week.   They went two deep in the playoffs last year so a pretty good team.

edit to add:

Son made the team.  He is in the middle of Varsity and JV.  We will see how he does going forward....should be a fun year.

Last edited by Alanj

Son is a Senior RHP.  First scrimmage is beginning of February.  We lost 3 starters from last year, which were very big contributors, but should still be solid.  We will have 6 D1 commits, a D2 commit and a Juco commit. We lost in the 6A semi finals last year.  We have a weak conference and a very strong playoff field so we will see how it all goes.

Last edited by baseballhs

Sophomore at 5A (second largest group of schools in Texas).  Last year 10-0 on mound 2.00 ERA and never topped 84 (wrote 6-3 so many times in score book...........).  Hit 385 batting.  Team went 3 rounds deep.  Played SS and CF when not on bump.

Preseason top 10 in most polls.  Will pitch and play SS, 3rd, 2nd, and CF depending on whoever else is pitching (I guess versatility is good, although he LOVES just playing CF in the summer).  Hopefully we'll gel as a team, and our 10 deep will stay healthy.

Hope everyone has a great and healthy season.  Enjoy it goes SO FAST (seems like oldest was just at this age, and he just finished 4 years at a D1).

You have no idea how envious I am of everyone who posted already.  we live in CT and pitchers and catchers is two MONTHS away.   You are all so lucky.....  Son is a 2020 LHP/1B, middle of line up hitter.  We lost our ace to Duke and word is he may be a weekend starter this year.   Our high school is in currently enjoying its best run of baseball (past 4-5 years).  This years team will be good, has a chance to continue this run but we really have to see how it all comes together.   The conference lost a lot of 2019 talent to D1's and the draft so competition will not be as stiff which is not a good thing for development.

Son was recruited to pitch in D3 but he's hoping they see him as a two way player.   He is planning on a big spring, been in the gym 3-4x a week since early September.  Don't know how I will fill the next two months.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Son is a 2020 RHP...... team consists of 1 D2 ,  3 D3 pitchers and a D1 catcher and SS. This isn't too bad for our small Northeast Ohio conference. JV coach moved up to be the V coach after previous coach's contract wasn't renewed. Son commited to a OAC D3 and he is ready to get on with his last season. Team made some noise three years ago in the state tourney, but have struggled to get back. Hopefully this year they can get back on track.

My kid is a just turned 15yo freshman in a very baseball rich environment area of Florida.  4 state ranked, one of which was nationally ranked in the top 10 on max prep  in the area and his school was not one of them last year.  Very good Soph class with two D1 commits so far.   He has been around serious competition on Travel ball and the local babe ruth league has two teams that made final 4 in national tournament.  I have kept him out of travel ball and babe ruth all stars for the past two seasons to work on his flexibility and strength on the field.  The boy has an 18 year old explosive arm on a maturing body (5 ft 7 and 130 pounds).  He hit 87 on the gun at practice the other day and got a proud holy s%34 moment from the boys watching the bullpen session.  I have only been keeping his arm loose and doing bullpen and long toss with him myself.  Coaches in travel and Babe Ruth tend to burn out young arms and I wanted my kid to go into high school as a freshman strong and very well rested.  He has pitched live maybe 20 innings over the past two season with no more than 3 innings in any one outing.  Im not blowing an arm like that out so some coach can win a tournament or two.  He runs a 6.75 60 and  has an exit velo of 88 from the outfield.  Its fun to watch him throw out players from CF on a regular basis at first.  He can play but i dont want him sitting if he happened to make varsity.  I have him finally signed up for some PG and UA showcases to get him seen and he will attend a couple of summer one day camps locally to see how he matches up against competition.  Cant wait until he hits 18 to see where he is at.

2023 Catcher/RHP. Will be varsity catcher for a solid prep school in FL. I’d be shocked if he got to pitch this season as the backup catcher really isn’t much of a catcher. I personally think his pitching days are behind him.

There have been 9 kids (8 D1) go on to play college ball the past 2 seasons. This season will be a somewhat of a rebuild. 4 D1 potential 2022’s and 4 D1 potential 2023’s will make the starting lineup. The schedule probably won't have a lot of W's this year, but if all these kids hang around they should compete for a state championship in 2-3 years.

Not really sure if my son will be a D1 prospect or not yet. He’s grown significantly this fall and added a ton of speed and strength. The other kids have offers or will soon.

2023 catcher in a small private single A school.  Catcher ahead of him is a senior that is committed to an SEC school.  He's either going to be the backup catcher at varsity or starting catching for JV (or both).  I think I like the idea of having him do both rather than just be the backup catcher in varsity.  He can have the varsity experience and learning from the starting catcher while having playing time at JV.  Starting catcher also has a great arm pitching so will probably be one of the pitchers.  My son may get to play varsity when he's pitching.  Very young team as they graduated a lot of senior last year, mostly pitcher.  My son is not a pitcher but he can benefit with the starting catcher being one of the remaining good pitchers.

Tryouts all this week.  Varsity and JV roster will be announced either end of today or tomorrow morning.  Season starts first week of Feb until mid April.  Son played JV last year and learned a lot.  Thankful for a small school as (1) he gets more playing time; (2) opportunity to play more positions (he plays infield also); and (3) encourages multi-sports athlete (early morning football workouts starting this week also).

2020 SS Varsity at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville.  He ramped up his workouts after committing last summer.  Swing is improved and he is faster/quicker due to those workouts.

Good group of seniors on the team and we should be competitive albeit in a modest conference with the exception of one other school (Baylor School).  Need pitching - ever heard that?  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.