Skip to main content

I do not have one but love reading it every year.  Let's start with your son's grade, what level they play (middle school, 9th grade, jv or varsity), position, school if you would like to share (some of my favorite people on here are ones I've met in person by being at the same tournament or going to watch their kid play or vice versa.  During the season, keep us updated, good or bad.  This is one of my favorite parts of the message boards every year.  GO!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Son is a senior. School lost in Texas state finals 6A classification last year. Son hit third all season, missed school record for hits by a couple.  Was All State first team pitcher by sportswriters, second team by another group of voters.  Went 13-2 /1.17 era with 118 strikeouts in 95 innings. Six of his wins were in the playoffs.

Team looks to be just as good as last years team, different but probably just as good.  Besides the final game, they only lost one other playoff game.  Even so, it takes a lot of breaks to win five consecutive series to make it to the final four. It would be hard to believe if it all happened again.

Practice starts last week of January.  Scrimmages start about two weeks after that.  Looking forward to it getting started.

-2024 C/OF going to school in South Jersey (last year of middle school baseball -- thanks for the invite, PitchingFan)

-aspiring (and working his tail off) to make varsity next year at a Philadelphia INTER-AC school (just got his HS acceptance letter today!!!!)

- First day of practice in NJ is March 6, 2020

-MS team was strong (for small private school in SJ) last year, but is very young this year - not much established pitching. I'm wondering what my son will do if asked to pitch. He's not pitched more than an inning (and that very rarely) since he was 10 and had little league elbow. 

Son is sophomore catcher in NorCal - Sacramento area. Team won their league last year and 2 rounds in the playoffs. Returning many kids and should be very competitive. Son will either be back up varsity catcher or starting JV catcher. Starting varsity catcher is 2021 and already committed. Probably best player on the team. I have heard our pre-season schedule will be much tougher and we need that. 

Son is a sophomore middle infielder/RHP at Perry High School in middle Ga.  Team is holding tryouts as best they can - been raining almost every day this week.  So don't know what level if any he will be.  He swims also - so has been juggling practice and meets this week.   They went two deep in the playoffs last year so a pretty good team.

edit to add:

Son made the team.  He is in the middle of Varsity and JV.  We will see how he does going forward....should be a fun year.

Last edited by Alanj

Son is a Senior RHP.  First scrimmage is beginning of February.  We lost 3 starters from last year, which were very big contributors, but should still be solid.  We will have 6 D1 commits, a D2 commit and a Juco commit. We lost in the 6A semi finals last year.  We have a weak conference and a very strong playoff field so we will see how it all goes.

Last edited by baseballhs

Sophomore at 5A (second largest group of schools in Texas).  Last year 10-0 on mound 2.00 ERA and never topped 84 (wrote 6-3 so many times in score book...........).  Hit 385 batting.  Team went 3 rounds deep.  Played SS and CF when not on bump.

Preseason top 10 in most polls.  Will pitch and play SS, 3rd, 2nd, and CF depending on whoever else is pitching (I guess versatility is good, although he LOVES just playing CF in the summer).  Hopefully we'll gel as a team, and our 10 deep will stay healthy.

Hope everyone has a great and healthy season.  Enjoy it goes SO FAST (seems like oldest was just at this age, and he just finished 4 years at a D1).

You have no idea how envious I am of everyone who posted already.  we live in CT and pitchers and catchers is two MONTHS away.   You are all so lucky.....  Son is a 2020 LHP/1B, middle of line up hitter.  We lost our ace to Duke and word is he may be a weekend starter this year.   Our high school is in currently enjoying its best run of baseball (past 4-5 years).  This years team will be good, has a chance to continue this run but we really have to see how it all comes together.   The conference lost a lot of 2019 talent to D1's and the draft so competition will not be as stiff which is not a good thing for development.

Son was recruited to pitch in D3 but he's hoping they see him as a two way player.   He is planning on a big spring, been in the gym 3-4x a week since early September.  Don't know how I will fill the next two months.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Son is a 2020 RHP...... team consists of 1 D2 ,  3 D3 pitchers and a D1 catcher and SS. This isn't too bad for our small Northeast Ohio conference. JV coach moved up to be the V coach after previous coach's contract wasn't renewed. Son commited to a OAC D3 and he is ready to get on with his last season. Team made some noise three years ago in the state tourney, but have struggled to get back. Hopefully this year they can get back on track.

My kid is a just turned 15yo freshman in a very baseball rich environment area of Florida.  4 state ranked, one of which was nationally ranked in the top 10 on max prep  in the area and his school was not one of them last year.  Very good Soph class with two D1 commits so far.   He has been around serious competition on Travel ball and the local babe ruth league has two teams that made final 4 in national tournament.  I have kept him out of travel ball and babe ruth all stars for the past two seasons to work on his flexibility and strength on the field.  The boy has an 18 year old explosive arm on a maturing body (5 ft 7 and 130 pounds).  He hit 87 on the gun at practice the other day and got a proud holy s%34 moment from the boys watching the bullpen session.  I have only been keeping his arm loose and doing bullpen and long toss with him myself.  Coaches in travel and Babe Ruth tend to burn out young arms and I wanted my kid to go into high school as a freshman strong and very well rested.  He has pitched live maybe 20 innings over the past two season with no more than 3 innings in any one outing.  Im not blowing an arm like that out so some coach can win a tournament or two.  He runs a 6.75 60 and  has an exit velo of 88 from the outfield.  Its fun to watch him throw out players from CF on a regular basis at first.  He can play but i dont want him sitting if he happened to make varsity.  I have him finally signed up for some PG and UA showcases to get him seen and he will attend a couple of summer one day camps locally to see how he matches up against competition.  Cant wait until he hits 18 to see where he is at.

2023 Catcher/RHP. Will be varsity catcher for a solid prep school in FL. I’d be shocked if he got to pitch this season as the backup catcher really isn’t much of a catcher. I personally think his pitching days are behind him.

There have been 9 kids (8 D1) go on to play college ball the past 2 seasons. This season will be a somewhat of a rebuild. 4 D1 potential 2022’s and 4 D1 potential 2023’s will make the starting lineup. The schedule probably won't have a lot of W's this year, but if all these kids hang around they should compete for a state championship in 2-3 years.

Not really sure if my son will be a D1 prospect or not yet. He’s grown significantly this fall and added a ton of speed and strength. The other kids have offers or will soon.

2023 catcher in a small private single A school.  Catcher ahead of him is a senior that is committed to an SEC school.  He's either going to be the backup catcher at varsity or starting catching for JV (or both).  I think I like the idea of having him do both rather than just be the backup catcher in varsity.  He can have the varsity experience and learning from the starting catcher while having playing time at JV.  Starting catcher also has a great arm pitching so will probably be one of the pitchers.  My son may get to play varsity when he's pitching.  Very young team as they graduated a lot of senior last year, mostly pitcher.  My son is not a pitcher but he can benefit with the starting catcher being one of the remaining good pitchers.

Tryouts all this week.  Varsity and JV roster will be announced either end of today or tomorrow morning.  Season starts first week of Feb until mid April.  Son played JV last year and learned a lot.  Thankful for a small school as (1) he gets more playing time; (2) opportunity to play more positions (he plays infield also); and (3) encourages multi-sports athlete (early morning football workouts starting this week also).

2020 SS Varsity at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville.  He ramped up his workouts after committing last summer.  Swing is improved and he is faster/quicker due to those workouts.

Good group of seniors on the team and we should be competitive albeit in a modest conference with the exception of one other school (Baylor School).  Need pitching - ever heard that?  

hshuler posted:
2020FLDad posted:

2020 SS / RHP Jacksonville, FL Last year of high school baseball before son heads either to college(UF) or possibly begins professional baseball career. Trying to soak it all in.  Seems like yesterday he was the young freshman and now he's the Sr.

CH?

Chick Hearn? (or ghost of..)

GA 2020 OF JUCO commit, as other 2020 parents have posted, hard to believe the ride is almost over, truly passed in a blink of a eye. As each "last" comes and goes the reality sinks in.  Having watched my son work hard to go from the scared freshman playing varsity hitting 8th as an average player/kid, to hitting lead-off since his sophomore year and helping his HS make the finals last year has been a hell of a ride.  Upcoming season team doesn't look as strong as last year but never know until its over,  just hoping for him to have a successful memorable senior season with his buddies before moving onto the next level.

Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
2020FLDad posted:

2020 SS / RHP Jacksonville, FL Last year of high school baseball before son heads either to college(UF) or possibly begins professional baseball career. Trying to soak it all in.  Seems like yesterday he was the young freshman and now he's the Sr.

CH?

Chick Hearn? (or ghost of..)

Chick - Is that you?

Best wishes to you guys this spring. Tell Lil Chickie that we said good luck!

Last edited by hshuler

2022 will not be even trying out for another two months. Large public HS in(arguably ) the toughest conference in the State. It's a dogfight, here. He hopes to make JV...I would guess only one or two of his class will make V. Unless you are really good, very few SO make V here. The worst thing is if they bring up a fast SO kid to be a pinch runner, and he ends up rotting on the bench for the year. I prefer that my kid gets lots of playing time, wherever he ends up.

Very, very few Freshman ever make V. Maybe 2 or 3 a decade.

Excited about the season, as a new coach is coming in. Very good baseball man. Was a 1st round draft pick, and had an extensive Milb career. Charismatic guy who "gets" kids, and knows what it means to be a top athlete.

We are expecting 9-12 " of snow today and tomorrow.

Last edited by 57special
57special posted:

2022 will not be even trying out for another two months. Large public HS in(arguably ) the toughest conference in the State. It's a dogfight, here. He hopes to make JV...I would guess only one or two of his class will make V. Unless you are really good, very few SO make V here. The worst thing is if they bring up a fast SO kid to be a pinch runner, and he ends up rotting on the bench for the year. I prefer that my kid gets lots of playing time, wherever he ends up.

Excited about the season, as a new coach is coming in. Very good baseball man. Was a 1st round draft pick, and had an extensive Milb career. Charismatic guy who "gets" kids, and knows what it means to be a top athlete.

Being on varsity and sitting most of the time can be better than playing JV or freshman ball. He would be practicing with higher skill level players. It places a little pressure of expectations on your son. He would be around more focused players. He would be more focused. He would be showcasing himself in practice to make getting on the field a given for the following season. If he’s on a quality travel team he will get plenty of playing time in the summer.

57special posted:

Your post <———— Like

9-12” of snow <——-dislike 

2022 C/UT in GA, 7A school, perennial contender. Will almost certainly be starting C on JV, with no V time seen unless something happens to (D1 commit, top 10 in nation) starting V catcher. More than happy to see him work JV and keep building strength/skills for summer and beyond. 

First V intersquads were last Fri night, son caught some of it. Was a blast to watch the guys shake the cobwebs off. 

Son is a sophomore (2022) catcher playing second year of varsity. We're in the (NJ) Shore Conference.  Team last year lost more than they won - but many of the losses were by 2 runs or less. Some more offense and a few less key errors in the field and their record would have been much better. Personally, I'm looking forward to this season. Assuming everyone stays healthy and performs up to expectations, they're going to have a very strong starting staff and the offense should be better. A winning record is more than possible. This season and next season may be their best window to make some noise. The pitching pipeline is not promising and all the big arms will graduate before 2022.

Could use some advice here from some of the crafty veterans who have been through the high school ball thing. Yesterday was the first day of practice/tryouts for my son, 2023 C. My son has played travel ball for the HC for 2 years and has a great relationship with him. The coach is very new school with a lot of things he teaches. So yesterday my son meets the new C/P coach and he immediately lets my son know he's an old school guy and starts changing up his stance and receiving back to the old school way my son was taught when he was 10-12 years old. My question is, would my son be out of line for asking the new C/P coach if he can show him the way he was taught by his private catching coach? My son is afraid the coach will think he's trying to show him up or something. 

TerribleBPthrower posted:

Could use some advice here from some of the crafty veterans who have been through the high school ball thing. Yesterday was the first day of practice/tryouts for my son, 2023 C. My son has played travel ball for the HC for 2 years and has a great relationship with him. The coach is very new school with a lot of things he teaches. So yesterday my son meets the new C/P coach and he immediately lets my son know he's an old school guy and starts changing up his stance and receiving back to the old school way my son was taught when he was 10-12 years old. My question is, would my son be out of line for asking the new C/P coach if he can show him the way he was taught by his private catching coach? My son is afraid the coach will think he's trying to show him up or something. 

He could certainly set up a meeting but in my experience, old school coaches don’t change and they aren’t open to new ideas...especially the ones who tell you they are old school.  It may be a frustrating few years.  The only success my son had was trying the coaches way and then saying that he really liked the other way better and it felt more comfortable.  He sat the bench for a year but he doesn’t try to change him anymore.

Go44dad posted:

Your son is probably in the best position to decide how to approach this with his coach.  It will be his relationship going forward. He is the only one who has all the info and context from working with the coach. And he has to live with the relationship going forward. Trust him to work through it.

He's asking for advice on how to handle the situation. He's concerned the coach is going to form a poor opinion of him for letting him know he likes the other way better.

That is a surprising dilemma.  Most new school guys would not hire an old school guy to be an AC.  If he has such a good relationship with the HC, maybe the avenue is to just have a one on one with the HC that what he has been doing for him for 2 years is not what the new C/P coach is making him do.  My son went through it in a different sport but the school paid to send him to Mark Richt QB camp when he was at UGA.  I paid half and they paid half.  He came home and started practice the next day.  When he began to do the drills that they had taught him at the QB Camp, the QB coach told him no we don't do it that way and made him do it his way.  My son came home so frustrated.  My son and I went to see the HC in private that afternoon and told him what had transpired that morning.  We were good friends and I told him if they wanted him to do the coach's way then they owed me my half of the camp because it had been a waste.  He said he would handle it and talked to the QB coach and explained that they had sent him and wanted him to do it the way the camp had taught him.  He taught all the QB's the drills that day.  It was a couple of days of sarcastic comments but everything was good after that.  I would have my son talk to the HC for advice.  I would not bring private coach into it.  That is a no no to almost every coach, especially old school guys.  If he says anything to c/p coach, it would be this is the way I have learned to do it but I would have him talk to HC first.

My two cents your son has three choices - Ignore the coach and keep doing it the way his private coach taught him,   listen to the HS P/C coach and do it the coaches way or speak with the coach and find a solution.   I would advise against straight up ignoring the coach, and I am sure you would agree.   Your son clearly doesn't want to do it the old school way.  So that leaves speaking to the coach which you seem to also know is the proper course of action.  As noted above you can't be the one to have this conversation.   A Freshman vs an old school coach is not an easy convo by any stretch but that's the situation in which you find yourself.  Its a tricky convo.   IMO, your son needs to explain he's been taught both ways and over the past two years he's gotten very comfortable with his current approach.  He needs to explain why that is the case and he should ask the coach if its ok he continue with the stance that he feels gives him the best opportunity to compete.   Maybe you can convince your son to approach it this way (if you agree).   It takes an incredibly mature freshman though to execute this convo but unfortunately that seems to be where you are right now.....   

PitchingFan posted:

That is a surprising dilemma.  Most new school guys would not hire an old school guy to be an AC.  If he has such a good relationship with the HC, maybe the avenue is to just have a one on one with the HC that what he has been doing for him for 2 years is not what the new C/P coach is making him do.  My son went through it in a different sport but the school paid to send him to Mark Richt QB camp when he was at UGA.  I paid half and they paid half.  He came home and started practice the next day.  When he began to do the drills that they had taught him at the QB Camp, the QB coach told him no we don't do it that way and made him do it his way.  My son came home so frustrated.  My son and I went to see the HC in private that afternoon and told him what had transpired that morning.  We were good friends and I told him if they wanted him to do the coach's way then they owed me my half of the camp because it had been a waste.  He said he would handle it and talked to the QB coach and explained that they had sent him and wanted him to do it the way the camp had taught him.  He taught all the QB's the drills that day.  It was a couple of days of sarcastic comments but everything was good after that.  I would have my son talk to the HC for advice.  I would not bring private coach into it.  That is a no no to almost every coach, especially old school guys.  If he says anything to c/p coach, it would be this is the way I have learned to do it but I would have him talk to HC first.

Thanks PF. This is great advice. My son was very frustrated yesterday. The HC has him teaching his younger travel teams a lot of his drills and mechanics, and then boom, back to the old school stuff. I know the HC and the AC are pretty good friends. I just figured maybe the HC wasn't paying attention to what his new assistant was doing. 

PitchingFan posted:

Thanks PF. This is great advice. My son was very frustrated yesterday. The HC has him teaching his younger travel teams a lot of his drills and mechanics, and then boom, back to the old school stuff. I know the HC and the AC are pretty good friends. I just figured maybe the HC wasn't paying attention to what his new assistant was doing. 

Old school guys just love it when you go over there head...... be careful.  Not saying it won't work but its not without risk.

Lefty has two ways of doing some things, the HS way and the TB way.  Most of them are inconsequential: routes in the outfield, lead off and base running, etc.  They do have him doing a few things different on the mound but everything is about the way he comes set (But nothing for actual pitch delivery thank god). Playing for different coaches and giving your best effort to achieve what they are asking is part of being an athlete IMO. (Not baseball related but maybe relevant, I was a competitive gymnast, and also left handed. My natural inclination is to rotate in the “wonky” direction. Club coach totally on board. I either went first or last so he could switch sides to spot when working in groups. HS coach couldn’t be bothered said right was right. Reminded me of how they used to make lefties write with their right hand because it wasn’t “natural”.  While it made for a frustrating 4 months, it also made me a stronger athlete.  In fact, gave me more options for how to do things when I got to choose myself. 

Now if it’s something he may hurt himself (arm) doing then he’ll have to talk to old school coach. Maybe asking HC for advice on how to approach the conversation may lead to a soft intervention? 

Kids are going to have multiple coaches throughout their lives, then multiple bosses, girl friends, etc.  Each will have different styles and approaches.  You tell your son, especially as a freshman, to take in all the information he can gather, adapt and grow.  I would especially not have him approach the HC as a freshman.  These are good life lessons he will take with him. 

I especially agree with GO44DAD response, as this is your son's relationship he's building with the coach.  I can tell you the one my son had with his coach was night and day, when you compare freshman to senior year.  It was all on them to develop.

IMO (without knowing more specifics of the personalities and relationships between the coaches) -

He has a great relationship with HC and HC is the boss.  He should speak to HC separately.  He should explain the situation to HC, ask for advice on what to do, and express that he is very concerned that he wants to be respectful to the AC and will do as asked at the end of the day.  He should state that he wants to be a team player and not be a problem but is struggling with that particular change.  Then, he should listen.

The key is to instruct him to be very respectful when he talks to the HC and then both coaches going forward.  As others have mentioned, not an easy discussion for most HS freshmen to initiate.  He will fumble some things.  But, it is the spirit in which he looks for advice that will win the day for him.   

This is a great early opportunity for him to start learning some of the hard lessons sport teaches.  If he can push through this himself, the results are likely to be better in the long run than having dad step in with an assist.  

As someone else mentioned, this is not without risk but I think the best route to take to get resolution one way or the other early on and to set the tone as a young player who will handle issues properly.

I will agree with others that there will always be different teachings and a player should pull the best from all and adapt.  My recommendation applies only if the changes are significant and difficult to incorporate both teachings.

As a side note, there is a decent chance that this actually helps the two coaches move toward being on the same page, which is important.  Let us know how it goes.

Second side note - as a coach, I frequently reminded players that several aspects of the game have multiple teaches and it is important that they speak up if there is any confusion or if they were being instructed outside of the program to do things a different way.  We would discuss pro's and con's and determine best course moving forward for that player at that time.  I think most coaches are aware of this and, hopefully, it won't be the big issue that your son fears it is.

I am almost always a big advocate of the direct approach.  I veer in this instance, in part, because I think working through the HC is still working within the same organization and is likely to have better results than "my private instructor says to do it this way".

Last edited by cabbagedad

2023 C from San Diego.  Most public schools here don't fund a Freshman team - so it's either JV or V for him.  On the one side, the V catchers from last year both graduated and there is only a 2021 'part-time' catcher ready to go now.  That leaves my son and 1 other C vying for a chance to be the starter on V.  Either way, he'll get plenty of reps on V or JV and mostly I am glad he's so excited to play with school friends again after many years of travel ball.  I am kind of amazed at how many C dads are on here though - I wonder what that means about us?

So everything worked out. Told my son he had 3 options; say nothing, talk to HC, or talk to AC. Told him to choose what he was most comfortable with. He chose to talk to HC. Coach basically told him he knows what my son’s skill level is and that he wants him to play the way he’s most comfortable. 

Great to hear!  But we all want to know how that was going to be conveyed between the coaches??

Last edited by cabbagedad

So everything worked out. Told my son he had 3 options; say nothing, talk to HC, or talk to AC. Told him to choose what he was most comfortable with. He chose to talk to HC. Coach basically told him he knows what my son’s skill level is and that he wants him to play the way he’s most comfortable. 

That's great for you guys.  Hope your son has a big year.

This being written language, us human and with different experiences and having never met most on this board, communication can be trite and lack context at times.  When someone says old school, I envision older, overweight baseball coach dressed in a wool baseball uniform spitting (and missing) a spittoon in the corner of the dugout and yelling "hit into the ground, get the guy over!".  The mention of new school puts an image of Domingo Ayala in my head, swinging out of his shoes and up to the sky, woven gold neck chain flying as he strikes out with runners on second and third, while saying "just missed!".  I try and not say old school or new school for these images.

I think Old School is the way it has always been done.  Doesn't even want to discuss using technology and makes you run for everything.  Play through it, rub some dirt on it.  My way or the highway.  Usually don't make good AC's unless the HC is also old school.  Had one of these and I had to have multiple conversations with him.  Alienates himself from parents and players.

New School is the guys who talk launch angle, technology, bat speed, exit velo, and use new ideas to get them where they need to be.  More relational in their discipline and how they deal with players. 

I have moved from old school to new school in just a short time.  I've seen the results of new school outweighing new school.  It is interesting because you can pick out the guys on here that are old school by their responses and criticism of new ideas. 

PitchingFan posted:

I think Old School is the way it has always been done.  Doesn't even want to discuss using technology and makes you run for everything.  Play through it, rub some dirt on it.  My way or the highway.  Usually don't make good AC's unless the HC is also old school.  Had one of these and I had to have multiple conversations with him.  Alienates himself from parents and players.

New School is the guys who talk launch angle, technology, bat speed, exit velo, and use new ideas to get them where they need to be.  More relational in their discipline and how they deal with players. 

I have moved from old school to new school in just a short time.  I've seen the results of new school outweighing new school.  It is interesting because you can pick out the guys on here that are old school by their responses and criticism of new ideas. 

My point is the words have become stereotypes.

PitchingFan posted:

I take issue with your definitions of both old school and new school. When I have more time on my hands I may offer up my own definitions for your amusement. But for now I would summarize my thoughts by saying that IMO the best coaches draw from both schools.  You can’t be stuck in the past and not adapt. But you also can’t be totally dependent on technology. Many things that can be measured are important but all of them aren’t. Anything that can be measured has to translate into game performance in order for it to matter. That is the biggest disconnect I see with people that use measurables as their go to for discussing a baseball player’s level of ability. Measurables don’t always translate into skills. 

Not disagreeing but I would be interested in which ones you think do not relate to skills.  I agree many guys are numbers only and I don't consider those guys new schools, those guys are techie.  But the usable numbers took me a while to understand and begin to implement.  I believe most of the numbers relate to some area of skill when accounted for in a game not in a showcase.  I still believe in the eye test.  Showcase numbers can be manipulated but game numbers are more realistic.  When you see game numbers, you also see kids who pass the eye test. 

Go44dad posted:
PitchingFan posted:

My point is the words have become stereotypes.

They are stereotypes.  No different than PO means you can't hit but that is not always true.  Some college and pro pitchers who only pitch are great hitters.  I don't think you have to be one or the other but when you classify yourself one or the other and believe it then you have stereotyped yourself.  You are telling people what you are by your own definition as the OP's AC has done.  I think you can be both but I've found myself moving quickly away from Old School and more to New School in my approach to players and use of technology and new ideas. 

I started using Core Velocity Belt in pitching lessons and my guys have made huge jumps in velocity.  I did not buy their belt at $370 but bought two items on Amazon for $50 that does the same thing.  One jumped 5 mph in three sessions and one broke his personal best and put on 3 mph in his ride speed in 4 sessions.  I've never been a fan of gadgets but this and a few other things have changed my mind.

PitchingFan posted:

Not disagreeing but I would be interested in which ones you think do not relate to skills.  I agree many guys are numbers only and I don't consider those guys new schools, those guys are techie.  But the usable numbers took me a while to understand and begin to implement.  I believe most of the numbers relate to some area of skill when accounted for in a game not in a showcase.  I still believe in the eye test.  Showcase numbers can be manipulated but game numbers are more realistic.  When you see game numbers, you also see kids who pass the eye test. 

Game numbers are all that matter. But the overwhelming amount of numbers that are measured are in Showcase or practice settings. Exit Velo is a perfect example. Putting a ball on a tee and measuring the speed that it comes off the bat while generated by a manufactured swing means absolutely nothing. What matters is Exit Velo in game competition. Same is true with fastball velo. It doesn’t matter how hard you can throw the ball if you can’t command it in a game. You know how I know that? Because I threw 94 mph ball 4 a thousand times before I learned to gear back to 90 and command the baseball. Same is true with spin rate. High spin rate on a FB doesn’t do you any good if you can’t locate it. Great speed in the 60 doesn’t matter if you take bad angles to the ball and don’t know how to run the bases. I can go on and on. The point is that you have to be good at playing the game for the measurables to be relevant. You can’t measure desire, coachability, heart, and attitude. All of those things are important too. Technology is important and can help any player improve their game. But IMO you need to learn the fundamentals of how to play the game first, and then apply technology to get better. Too many people have the cart before the horse. 

To me, old school would refer to guys that teach things the same way I was taught back in the early 90's. These guys aren't necessarily still saying squish the bug, but it isn't far from it. I see it more with my son and catching. He was going to a guy for a while for lessons that I feel gave him good fundamentals, but a lot of it was the same stuff I was taught in high school. By chance, we were introduced to a new guy who has a ton of new drills, new receiving ideas/techniques, and he sends us videos all the time of things he wants to try. 

Basically, I guess I see the 2 as one is stubborn and it is their way or the highway, and the other is more forward thinking and looking to try new ideas.

adbono posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Game numbers are all that matter. But the overwhelming amount of numbers that are measured are in Showcase or practice settings. Exit Velo is a perfect example. Putting a ball on a tee and measuring the speed that it comes off the bat while generated by a manufactured swing means absolutely nothing. What matters is Exit Velo in game competition. Same is true with fastball velo. It doesn’t matter how hard you can throw the ball if you can’t command it in a game. You know how I know that? Because I threw 94 mph ball 4 a thousand times before I learned to gear back to 90 and command the baseball. Same is true with spin rate. High spin rate on a FB doesn’t do you any good if you can’t locate it. Great speed in the 60 doesn’t matter if you take bad angles to the ball and don’t know how to run the bases. I can go on and on. The point is that you have to be good at playing the game for the measurables to be relevant. You can’t measure desire, coachability, heart, and attitude. All of those things are important too. Technology is important and can help any player improve their game. But IMO you need to learn the fundamentals of how to play the game first, and then apply technology to get better. Too many people have the cart before the horse. 

This!  All you have to do is go on Twitter and see the guys pimping their 95 MPH FB videos, then check out their MiLB stats and 5/9 BB:IP ratio.  There's a reason why they're stuck in low A ball with that velocity.

CTbballDad posted:
adbono posted:

This!  All you have to do is go on Twitter and see the guys pimping their 95 MPH FB videos, then check out their MiLB stats and 5/9 BB:IP ratio.  There's a reason why they're stuck in low A ball with that velocity.

But doesn't the ability to throw 94 is what allows you to throw 90 with command as opposed to maxing out at 90 and having to come down to throwing 85 with command?

atlnon posted:
CTbballDad posted:
adbono posted:

But doesn't the ability to throw 94 is what allows you to throw 90 with command as opposed to maxing out at 90 and having to come down to throwing 85 with command?

I would argue that if you learn proper mechanics there doesn’t need to be that kind of drop off. If you learn to command the baseball before the emphasis is put on velocity there will be a much smaller discrepancy. But nobody wants to go on Twitter and talk about how well they command the baseball. They only want to talk about how hard they can throw. Pitchers win games by commanding the baseball and changing speeds effectively. That’s what gets hitters out. 

Here in FL we have been scrimmaging for 2 weeks and begin to play exhibition games Tuesday. The season starts 2/10. We will travel to Hoover, AL and Lake Point for HS tournaments in March.  Looking forward to a great season playing some top-notch competition. Melancholy because it's his senior season. But, excited for his future playing college ball!

Best of luck to everyone!

2022's tryouts start Monday, with the JV team only. Son is probably looked at as a PO but would like to be considered a two-way player.  He's working on all parts of his game  Any potential varsity players are invited to the Varsity tryouts a week later. Vars only lost two starting field players but lost 5 out of ten pitchers.  I'm ambivalent about where he ends up. Not sure how durable his arm is and I can't think of any pitchers who have gone through the program doing so without arm issues.  He'll throw more on JV but maybe more than he should.  He won't throw a lot on Vars but that might be better for his arm in the long run.

Any suggestions for helping him learn how to close out hitters?  He gives up too many two-strike hits. Does a good job getting ahead in the count but something's not clicking with his two strike pitches.

smokeminside posted:

2022's tryouts start Monday, with the JV team only. Son is probably looked at as a PO but would like to be considered a two-way player.  He's working on all parts of his game  Any potential varsity players are invited to the Varsity tryouts a week later. Vars only lost two starting field players but lost 5 out of ten pitchers.  I'm ambivalent about where he ends up. Not sure how durable his arm is and I can't think of any pitchers who have gone through the program doing so without arm issues.  He'll throw more on JV but maybe more than he should.  He won't throw a lot on Vars but that might be better for his arm in the long run.

Any suggestions for helping him learn how to close out hitters?  He gives up too many two-strike hits. Does a good job getting ahead in the count but something's not clicking with his two strike pitches.

I think Maddux sums it up nicely.....

https://twitter.com/PitchingNi...674921375977473?s=09

Last edited by 22and25
22and25 posted:

Tryouts are tomorrow and Saturday.  First exhibition game is a week from Saturday.  My 2022 is feeling pretty good about his chances to make Varsity but will not find out until Monday.

His school is a traditionally average team in a pretty decent 6A Division 1 (largest classification) district.

2022 had his post tryouts sit down with the coaches yesterday afternoon.  He will be in the starting rotation for the Varsity squad this spring right behind a 2021 top 20 P5 commit.  First exhibition game is this Saturday.....let's goooooooo!

Congrats to your son and thx for the Maddox quote,  22/25. Really interesting, given that my guys coaches are telling him to throw curves in the dirt on 0-2 to try to get guys to chase. I think he just has to be more precise and stay focused on the edges of the strike zone on  0-2. He’s a divergent thinker. Needs self control. Not that I would know anything about that. 

smokeminside posted:

Congrats to your son and thx for the Maddox quote,  22/25. Really interesting, given that my guys coaches are telling him to throw curves in the dirt on 0-2 to try to get guys to chase. I think he just has to be more precise and stay focused on the edges of the strike zone on  0-2. He’s a divergent thinker. Needs self control. Not that I would know anything about that. 

Unless he has something he hasn't shown that he can throw for a strike, I wouldn't throw anything they can hit on 0-2. I hate seeing kids set up a foot off the plate 0-2 as you aren't going to get someone to chase that bad. I love the curve in the dirt 0-2 if he hasn't shown it that at bat. Guess it depends if you are looking for an out or looking for a strikeout.

My 2023 (granted, this all worked against youth teams and hasn't pitched a single high school pitch yet) would go to a slide step 0-2, would throw a filthy knuckle ball 0-2, drop down side arm, you name it he would throw it. Most of his K's though would come after a couple balls and foul balls. Very rarely did he strike many kids out on 3 pitches.

So far the hs "practices" have gone as expected.  Not much organization, coaches aren't around much.  My guess is that they are focusing on the older kids, which I understand - Varsity should be the focus. Tryouts are 3/2.  Should start to get interesting.  I am surprised at the number of kids who have quit before tryouts (about 5 or 6).  Not that they would have made the freshman team, but still give it a shot!

Tryouts start next week.  Jr will be a senior and should be the #1 P on an admittedly not very strong staff. The team should be competitive, but is probably playing for 2d or 3rd in the conference at best.  I'm a little concerned the boy is looking past this year to college ball--I hope he will enjoy this last HS season. (Youth really is wasted on the young...)  He is my youngest and an empty nest is coming up quickly.  I'm going be at every game I can.

smokeminside posted:

I'm no pitching coach, but in his MLB days Maddux was throwing to guys who were a lot less likely to be fooled if he bounced a curve ball.  And it also was going to be pretty rare that Maddux accidentally got too much of the plate when trying to put an 0-2 curve on the corner.  A breaking ball in the dirt is a much more viable option for amateur pitchers throwing to amateur hitters. 

My son, 2023 C, will be making his first HS start behind the dish tonight on varsity. He developed a severe case of the yips about 2 weeks ago. Can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. This is a kid that walked 2 batters in 31 innings over the past 2 years. He can normally put the ball anywhere he wants. It hurts to see him struggle. We've done a done of drills and worked with his pitching coach on his throwing mechanics. He's great when it is just us, but he is really struggling on the field. for some reason. The head coach told him he's not going to take him out if he struggles in the game and he's going to have to work through it. 

So, with that in mind, any positive vibes, mojo, or prayers are greatly appreciated. 

My son, 2023 C, will be making his first HS start behind the dish tonight on varsity. He developed a severe case of the yips about 2 weeks ago. Can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. This is a kid that walked 2 batters in 31 innings over the past 2 years. He can normally put the ball anywhere he wants. It hurts to see him struggle. We've done a done of drills and worked with his pitching coach on his throwing mechanics. He's great when it is just us, but he is really struggling on the field. for some reason. The head coach told him he's not going to take him out if he struggles in the game and he's going to have to work through it. 

So, with that in mind, any positive vibes, mojo, or prayers are greatly appreciated. 

That sounds really difficult.  Best of luck to your son, and please post after the game to let us know how it goes.

Chico Escuela posted:

That sounds really difficult.  Best of luck to your son, and please post after the game to let us know how it goes.

Thanks Chico. I'm thankful he has played with most of the kids on the team for a year now, so they know what his usual play is like. They have been very supportive and encouraging while he is working through it.

Never actually seen the yips in person, but I would recommend reviewing previous threads to get some ideas. From what I have heard/read over the years this condition is almost completely mental, and is cycle of anxiety producing thoughts. If what you are describing as Yips is truly that, then looking into a sports psychologist may be a good thing to consider. Guys like Blass, Ankiel, etc.. tried to "work through it"  and didn't find much success on their own.

ReluctantO'sFan posted:

Never actually seen the yips in person, but I would recommend reviewing previous threads to get some ideas. From what I have heard/read over the years this condition is almost completely mental, and is cycle of anxiety producing thoughts. If what you are describing as Yips is truly that, then looking into a sports psychologist may be a good thing to consider. Guys like Blass, Ankiel, etc.. tried to "work through it"  and didn't find much success on their own.

The sports psychologist is the next step. There are some mechanical things going on when it happens. This is the first time he's ever worked exclusively on catcher throwing mechanics and he is getting stuck with the scap load which is throwing everything else off. However, once the first bad throw happens it goes downhill pretty fast. 

We dealt with this a few years ago.  We were at a tournament at OU in front of quite a few coaches and late in the game he airmailed one to the pitcher.  Then he did it again.  I think he had a few more but the game ended and we won so no one really paid any attention to it.  We got in the car and it was clearly in his head.  Between games we went to a park and worked on him throwing it back to me.  Thought it was fixed but it reared its ugly head again.  The more he thought about it the worst it got.  Here is how he got through it and then out of it.  To manage it we developed a count.  I think it was something like knee to the ground was 1, arm up 2, throw to pitcher 3 or something like that.  It helped.  What we learned was that the harder he threw it back to the pitcher the better he was and the more he tried to aim the worse it got.  The count evolved into fire it back to the pitcher and eventually the yips disappeared.  He also tried taking a few steps and shortening the distance but that just seemed to make it worse.

It was hard to watch, but the other players and parents didn't really notice.  I can remember telling a dad about it and he said he had no idea.  The only time they will really notice is when it costs you a base runner, a run scores or if it is happening every throw.  Not to add to the pain, but it is probably going to be rougher on a 2023 playing HS ball than it was for my kid playing on a showcase team with kids his own age. 

Now for the good news.  He made it through it.  The year before we had a 2021 kid play on our 2020 team and he developed something pretty close to the yips.  He ended up lobbing everything back to the pitcher.  The next year he committed to a solid D1 school.  He made it through it too.   I hate that your son is going through it but he will also get through it.  Be positive, patient and give him a hug when he needs it. 

Last edited by d-mac

I used to be a competitive amateur golfer but then in my late 30's developed the "Y" wordwhichshallnotbenamed when putting.  In a tournament round once I hit 13 greens in regulation and three jacked 8 of them. Pretty embarrassing.  Everyone knew what was happening.  It was a tough thing to overcome.  I went to cross handed putting, big grips, long putters.  Quit playing competitively for awhile.  It is an interesting phenomenon.  Usually occurs when people get fairly accomplished at something after many years. 

So for a young kid, I think he can overcome it!   I bet he doesn't have the problem when he is really active.  Usually happens with fairly stationary acts like putting or free throws.  Similar to what Dmac said:  Have him work on a set routine that he will use when he throws back to the pitcher; in addition to what he said, maybe:  pop the glove once so his hands aren't static and shuffle hard; point shoulder at target and GO. 

It helped me to not give a flying F about my score or what anyone thought of me.  Ultimately though, grooving my routine so I was process oriented instead of results oriented is what resolved it.   

Good luck and many positive thoughts your boy's way.  

So he made it through the game without his throws being too noticeable to anyone else. Before the game while the pitcher was warming up in the pen he sailed a couple way off but was firing balls back to the pitcher. Somewhere around the 3rd inning something happened and he started to lob the ball back. He tried to throw it hard a couple of times and you could see the discomfort. Had one terrible throw while the pitcher was warming up between innings.

It is crazy to watch knowing what is going on. He threw a kid out with a perfect crisp throw to the inside on a bunt play, threw out 2 kids trying to steal with great throws, but that throw to the mound is just awkward right now. 

First day of the official season in Southern California. Beautiful 70degree weather. Most teams played double headers. Was able to catch our son’s games plus most of another local HS where friend’s son was starting for first time as a varsity pitcher.  It’s my favorite time of year!  Next week Orange Lutheran (3-peat National High School Invitational winners) are rumored to start Max Rajcic against La Mirada’s Jared Jones game is being held at Cal state Fullerton.  Both pitchers are expected to get drafted early.  Lefty is going with some friends to watch some outstanding pitching. I may go to watch the scouts. Did I mention this is my favorite time of year?

Son’s team won their first regular season game. He started out throwing with confidence but the yips came back around the 3rd inning. He did make a couple great throws when it really mattered. Also blocked a ton and receiving was spot on. 

The varsity lineup had 5 freshman, 3 sophomore, & 1 junior. Super young team but if they stick together they will be really good

Senna posted:

Meanwhile, in Georgia.... ☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️

😔

The rain in Georgia has been unreal but fortunately, son’s team has been able to get all four games in. 

3-1 after a tough loss last night. Next game Saturday followed by three in SoCal next Friday and Saturday. 

hshuler posted:
Senna posted:

😔

The rain in Georgia has been unreal but fortunately, son’s team has been able to get all four games in. 

3-1 after a tough loss last night. Next game Saturday followed by three in SoCal next Friday and Saturday. 

Saw that walkoff. Definitely didn’t see that coming. 

3-1 for V here as well. Son had been dressing V to catch pens while waiting for a JV game to actually take place. 

We’ll have to arrange to meet when we play in April.  Good luck in SoCal. 

Last edited by Senna
anotherparent posted:
hshuler posted:

SoCal?  Do you mean they go to California?  From Georgia?

My son's team never travelled anywhere like that, I'm always amazed when I read about such things on here.

Our state had a rule if teams traveled out of state for a tournament it only counted as one event/game. So instead of being locked in to 22 games four or five games at Myrtle Beach counted as one game. 

Last edited by RJM
hshuler posted:
Senna posted:

😔

Ha! I saw a school name I didn't recognize come through my gamechanger feed.  I'm guessing it's your son's school. Only saw one game, but it's against a school just down the road, Lefty has several friends on that team.  Boys are going to be lucky.  Next weekend is supposed to be 80 and partly cloudy.  Perfect baseball weather.  

Wet snow yesterday that didn't stick, a hard frost overnight, but this afternoon was sunny and around 50 degrees here in the Carolinas for the first game of the season--a scrimmage against a HS with about 4x the enrollment of my son's.  He got the start, was told he was limited to 3 innings.  Jr. looked pretty good for this time of year: 3 IP, 3 K, 1BB, gave up 2 singles, one of which was a fly that the CF and SS let drop between them.  First real game is Thursday. 

Senna posted:
hshuler posted:
Senna posted:

😔

Saw that walkoff. Definitely didn’t see that coming. 

3-1 for V here as well. Son had been dressing V to catch pens while waiting for a JV game to actually take place. 

We’ll have to arrange to meet when we play in April.  Good luck in SoCal. 

It happens. Couldn’t catch a break.😂

Thanks and same to your son and team! Let’s definitely arrange an introduction in April.

LousyLefty posted:
hshuler posted:
Senna posted:

😔

Ha! I saw a school name I didn't recognize come through my gamechanger feed.  I'm guessing it's your son's school. Only saw one game, but it's against a school just down the road, Lefty has several friends on that team.  Boys are going to be lucky.  Next weekend is supposed to be 80 and partly cloudy.  Perfect baseball weather.  

You have no idea how much it’s rained in GA. In fact, because the kids haven’t been able to practice on the field in weeks, they had a light practice after today’s game.

RJM posted:
anotherparent posted:
hshuler posted:

My son's team never travelled anywhere like that, I'm always amazed when I read about such things on here.

Our state had a rule if teams traveled out of state for a tournament it only counted as one event/game. So instead of being locked in to 22 games four or five games at Myrtle Beach counted as one game. 

Technically, it’s not a tournament. GA high schools get to schedule 30 regular season games.

anotherparent posted:
hshuler posted:

Yes. The program takes and out of state trip every year. This year it’s SoCal and Cary, NC. 

Chico Escuela posted:

Wet snow yesterday that didn't stick, a hard frost overnight, but this afternoon was sunny and around 50 degrees here in the Carolinas for the first game of the season--a scrimmage against a HS with about 4x the enrollment of my son's.  He got the start, was told he was limited to 3 innings.  Jr. looked pretty good for this time of year: 3 IP, 3 K, 1BB, gave up 2 singles, one of which was a fly that the CF and SS let drop between them.  First real game is Thursday. 

Best wishes on a good year!

Off to a 2-0 start here in FL. A few more games then they head to Hoover AL for a PG tournament beginning of March. Hitting the PBR HS Showcase tournament at Lake Point at the end of March.  Son is excited to travel again. I'm excited to tag along and watch!  Hoping things will have dried out in both places before we go. Been very dry here in Florida. Keep posting updates!

Iowamom23 posted:
Velo From The Stretch posted:

I'm jealous, my kids team in PA has tryouts next week and the home opener is a month away.

Just as a reminder, here in Iowa, first HS game takes place around Memorial Day.

Doesn’t school get out shortly after Memorial Day? So a senior can graduate and still be playing HS ball? This has me totally befuddled. 

LousyLefty posted:
Iowamom23 posted:
Velo From The Stretch posted:

I'm jealous, my kids team in PA has tryouts next week and the home opener is a month away.

Just as a reminder, here in Iowa, first HS game takes place around Memorial Day.

Doesn’t school get out shortly after Memorial Day? So a senior can graduate and still be playing HS ball? This has me totally befuddled. 

Yep! My son actually graduated Memorial Day weekend, played HS ball through mid-July, then participated in a couple of all-star state tournaments and then moved into college in August. To some degree I think it helped him in the school's fall practices and games since he was up and running, while guys from out of state had had a pretty long break.

Apparently we're the only state in the country to play summer HS baseball. 

My son's team is 5 games in. He's been starting the district games at C for varsity. He's sat a couple of non-district games because the coach says he doesn't want to wear him out. He also played SS and pitched in a JV game. I'm not really a fan of him playing those positions because we felt like he could finally just focus on the catcher arm path. However, the other way to look at it is at least he's playing and starting. There are a lot of kids in the dugout who would trade places in a heartbeat I'm sure.

My son's team is 5 games in. He's been starting the district games at C for varsity. He's sat a couple of non-district games because the coach says he doesn't want to wear him out. He also played SS and pitched in a JV game. I'm not really a fan of him playing those positions because we felt like he could finally just focus on the catcher arm path. However, the other way to look at it is at least he's playing and starting. There are a lot of kids in the dugout who would trade places in a heartbeat I'm sure.

It sounds like your son is versatile and off to a great start.  But...  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know when I say that playing three positions that put unusually high demand on his arm could put your son at risk of injury.  For a long time my son played 3B in games when he wasn't SP.  It took several incidents when he had a sore arm after making a side-armed throw on a bunt or some other awkward throw before he finally moved to 1B and then became a PO.  Lots of factors come into play and I expect you are well aware of the issue.  Just my $0.02 based on my son's experience. 

+1 on Chico's post. If they need their starting catcher to pitch a few innings to help win a championship, that's one thing.  But having him pitch JV?? That is nuts, or at least shortsighted.  As for SS, I differ a bit on that. I've seen plenty of #1 pitchers (though not catchers) play SS without issues.  There usually aren't really that many 100% throws in a game. If the player takes it easy during practices and warm ups, the risk of injury should not be that great.

Chico Escuela posted:

It sounds like your son is versatile and off to a great start.  But...  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know when I say that playing three positions that put unusually high demand on his arm could put your son at risk of injury.  For a long time my son played 3B in games when he wasn't SP.  It took several incidents when he had a sore arm after making a side-armed throw on a bunt or some other awkward throw before he finally moved to 1B and then became a PO.  Lots of factors come into play and I expect you are well aware of the issue.  Just my $0.02 based on my son's experience. 

Thanks Chico. His coach is really watching how much he is throwing. It's frustrating to watch him sit out a game, but I know the coach doesn't want to abuse him. He caught last night and will likely catch tomorrow night. There is a JV game on Friday that I doubt he will play in.

JCG posted:

+1 on Chico's post. If they need their starting catcher to pitch a few innings to help win a championship, that's one thing.  But having him pitch JV?? That is nuts, or at least shortsighted.  As for SS, I differ a bit on that. I've seen plenty of #1 pitchers (though not catchers) play SS without issues.  There usually aren't really that many 100% throws in a game. If the player takes it easy during practices and warm ups, the risk of injury should not be that great.

I don't think it's quite as bad as it seems. He only caught a few innings last Tuesday against a bad team. Game on Thursday was cancelled. JV game was on Friday. This week we have varsity games Mon, Tues, Thurs. I don't see him playing the JV game on Friday unless he doesn't play in the Thursday game for some reason. 

Looks like my 2023 C is going to get the start at SS on Tuesday for varsity. The starter is injured and no idea how long he’ll be out. Guess I better take him out and hit some balls to him. 

I guess a positive is we won’t have to worry about him throwing back to the pitcher 😜

Will be interested to see if any of the same problems rise up from SS.  It has always amazed me that the yips are normally just pitchers and catchers.  I did have a 1B that developed something like them one time and we said just never throw the ball.  We would get an out and he would airmail it into LF.  He didn't do it before an inning but would when the inning started.  If there were runners on base he would always walk it to the pitcher or the pitcher would come get it.  We played it off by him slapping him on the butt when he handed it to the pitcher so hopefully no one would realize he couldn't throw.  Best of luck to your son.

PitchingFan posted:

Looks like my 2023 C is going to get the start at SS on Tuesday for varsity. The starter is injured and no idea how long he’ll be out. Guess I better take him out and hit some balls to him. 

I guess a positive is we won’t have to worry about him throwing back to the pitcher 😜

Will be interested to see if any of the same problems rise up from SS.  It has always amazed me that the yips are normally just pitchers and catchers.  I did have a 1B that developed something like them one time and we said just never throw the ball.  We would get an out and he would airmail it into LF.  He didn't do it before an inning but would when the inning started.  If there were runners on base he would always walk it to the pitcher or the pitcher would come get it.  We played it off by him slapping him on the butt when he handed it to the pitcher so hopefully no one would realize he couldn't throw.  Best of luck to your son.

He played SS for the JV team on Friday and made a bunch of highlight plays that quite honestly I didn't even know he was capable of. Coach pulled him aside to talk about the potential need to move him until the starter is better. The coach then ran into my wife at the gas station and told her how happy he is to have my son on the team.

This yips thing sure has been a wild ride. He threw 2 buckets to me yesterday while I stood on the mound in the backyard. Every ball was right in the chest. I took some previous advice and read some old threads on the topic. Reached out to a guy named Dr. Crowley and that has helped a little, but not completely. I decided to try something new and I'll let you know if it works. We were on the school field and he was struggling to throw it back to me. Big difference from what I saw in the backyard. So I gave him the 3oz Driveline baseball and had him try to throw that back. As you can imagine, it didn't go well. After 10 throws I had him pick up a regular baseball and he was letting it rip right back to my chest. It's the biggest smile I've seen on him in weeks. 

PitchingFan posted:

I understand.  It was not my kid but it was still frustrating/scarey.  The weird part was this kid could pitch with no problems and was great in practice but fell apart when he had to throw it in a game from first to anyone. 

My son can go on the mound and put it anywhere he wants. It's the strangest thing. He said he's really struggling when he's warming up at short distances and back to the pitcher. He just can't get a feel for his grip or mechanics. 

A major positive for me out of this whole thing is I get to play a lot more catch with him. It has been great for the two of us to just go outside and throw until the sun goes down. No pressure, no coaching, just playing catch.

JME2023 posted:

My 2023 LHP,1B made JV. Had about 50 freshman tryout and took about 25.

First game is about 10 days away already.

Congrats! Hope he has a great season.

50 freshman?! How big is the school? 

He goes to a private, all boys school that is 1200 students in 9-12th grade. They are one of the best high school baseball programs in our state and a lot of kids go there for the baseball.

Not sure if 50 is a lot for people in other areas. It's one of the bigger turnouts for our area.  We did have two public high schools in a popular part of the city that had 50 and 90 kids each.

The state of Connecticut cancelled ALL winter sports events for the remainder of the season.    Our state was pretty much through conference tournaments and only had States left.  Needless to say, the hockey and basketball parents are not happy.  The decision was either to keep games and not allow spectators or cancel and they cancelled.  

Now for spring sports and especially the most important one, there have been no changes yet.   In our state the earliest Pitchers and Catchers can meet is this coming Saturday.  So that remains on, team selections as usual and then into practices.   I have to think that our season will be truncated somehow.  First games are April 4th.....   We will see.....

My son started at 2b last night because the normal 2B became ill during the day. Flu like symptoms and the kid stayed at school and was in the dugout with the rest of the kids before the game. Not sure why the coach or AD didn't tell him to stay away from the team. The school is a very highly rated prep school that has a team of medical professionals monitoring covid19, so I'm confident they evaluated the kid and he doesn't have corona. At least I hope they evaluated him....

On a side note, we found that the yips also appear during the throw from 2b to 1b. He can play SS with no problems and 3b as well. Thankfully the only throws he had to make were DP 6-4-3 type plays.

My son started at 2b last night because the normal 2B became ill during the day. Flu like symptoms and the kid stayed at school and was in the dugout with the rest of the kids before the game. Not sure why the coach or AD didn't tell him to stay away from the team. The school is a very highly rated prep school that has a team of medical professionals monitoring covid19, so I'm confident they evaluated the kid and he doesn't have corona. At least I hope they evaluated him....

The odds the kid had been exposed to coronavirus are very, very low.  But what administrator or coach wants 15 or 20 kids to come down with even the common cold?  Send the kid home to rest--where he can't cough on his teammates/classmates!  

On a side note, we found that the yips also appear during the throw from 2b to 1b. He can play SS with no problems and 3b as well. Thankfully the only throws he had to make were DP 6-4-3 type plays.

Tbpt. Given this is ongoing. Please google "task specific dystonia".  There is a ncbi summary which will be helpful.  Simplified: in his case, when he performs an act which requires a coordination of muscle activity with a "governor", limiting the velocity of his throw, he is having an involuntary muscle spasm which screws up the sequence.  Then the ball flies randomly. So it should be reinforced to him that this is a medical condition.  Not a case of lack of nerves or reflection of his grit.  In fact you describe numerous heroic plays and hits.  There are no randomized controlled trials on medical therapy for this.  Most physicians will be unfamiliar. I forgot if you've seen a neurologist but I would definitely do that.  I wonder whether a trial of a SSRI in combination with an anticholinergic like dicyclomine would be helpful.  Pretty good side effect profile and safe.  Best wishes.

Chico Escuela posted:

If anyone here has a HS sports season outright cancelled, please post to let everyone know.   Momentum seems to be building for colleges (D3s anyhow) to take this step.  I'm about 70% expecting my son's senior HS baseball season to be shut down in the next few weeks.  (Not recommending that; it's just starting to seem likely.)

I hate to hear about these things. What state are you in? In FL there hasn't been any talk of it that I'm aware of. But most FL schools don't need to travel to other states via bus or plane for tournaments/games.

Chico Escuela posted:

If anyone here has a HS sports season outright cancelled, please post to let everyone know.   Momentum seems to be building for colleges (D3s anyhow) to take this step.  I'm about 70% expecting my son's senior HS baseball season to be shut down in the next few weeks.  (Not recommending that; it's just starting to seem likely.)

People have lost their minds.  Way overreacting.  This will all be gone in a month in warm weather states and probably two months for cold weather states.  You all can remind me in July if I am wrong. 

I’m in NC. Haven’t heard anything about baseball being cancelled, although I do know of several schools that have cancelled overnight sports trips. (For some reason my son’s team didn’t have any overnights scheduled this year.). There has, however, definitely been some discussion about moving my son’s school’s classes to all online—and if that happened, I assume baseball would end. (It’s a private school, which I think makes online education an easier proposition.)

As for whether this all is an overreaction...  I agree it seems that way. But I don’t have any medical training, and a lot of folks who do seem very concerned. In matters of pandemics, I’m inclined to go along with the judgments of the experts (who ain’t perfect, but know more than me). I assume decisions to close schools or cancel sports seasons aren’t being taken lightly. It does seem, though, that we ought to shut down everything nonessential or nothing. The current strategy seems to cause a lot of disruption but without much clear benefit (in my uninformed opinion).

Many town schools in Fairfield County CT have closed down.   Westport, New Cannan, Wilton, Staples no word on baseball.   Darien meeting again tonight.   What are the odds they would go to distance learning and allow spring sports to continue with pitchers and catchers/tryouts and practice....  It is feeling pretty bleak at this point.    Hey if NCAA Basketball can play without fans maybe Darien vs New Cannan can play sans fans......

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Yesterday my daughter's college announced it was extending spring break by a week (they are on break now), and that students could come to campus on a single day next week to pick up what they need from their dorms and then campus would be closed.  Luckily we live a couple of hours from school via car.  My daughter's roommate is 3+ hours away by plane--we are going to pick up her books and a few other things and mail them to her (otherwise she would have to fly in to do that).  

Son's HS tacked a Monday off onto next week's break.  Said Monday is a teacher workday to learn about moving classes online.  That certainly seems ominous.  So far no HS sporting events have been cancelled and I haven't heard anything about that.  But it's hard for me to picture closing school for academics and then allowing teams into locker rooms, buses, etc. for sports.  (And what about orchestra, drama, model UN, etc.?)

The University where I teach is going to online classes on Monday.  So faculty have the weekend to figure out how to make that happen.  

My freshman son made JV.  His first scrimmage game is Saturday in a neighboring county in Maryland that just announced last night that all high school sports can proceed, but without spectators.  My other son is a Sr and set to play a double header in different MD county the same day.  He is committed to play next year at UMW.  I feel bad for uncommitted HS juniors who have to worry about being seen this year with all this uncertainty looming.

Son's school district suspended athletics for 3 weeks effective today, might have had the last practice of the season yesterday. The governor of WA closed schools in the 3 largest counties for 6 weeks, which doesn't affect us directly but since we're adjacent even if we restart baseball there won't be anybody to play against. He's a freshman who made the JV team after a lot of work over the winter and they were scheduled to start playing games next week. Bummed out doesn't even begin to describe it.

Decision on high school sports still pending in Virginia (VHSL).   VHSL states they do not have the authority to cancel the regular season games, scrimmages and practices, only the state tournament.  It's up to the local school boards on whether to cancel the sport(s).  At this time our local school board is monitoring the situation.   Schools are still open and I assume practices for spring sports are ongoing.   Nothing in the local paper or on the school website.

Spring break extended until 3/31 (school closed) with no sports practices or scrimmages allowed during that time.  I think we, and the boys, are expecting school to be conducted remotely and for the season to be canceled.  College sports cancellations, professional sports cancellations certainly give high school boards and administrators the cover they need to make this decision.  

Time to put together a plan to maximize summer ball:  weight room, throwing program, hitting, lessons (if local facility is open), eating program, etc.  

FoxDad posted:

Decision on high school sports still pending in Virginia (VHSL).   VHSL states they do not have the authority to cancel the regular season games, scrimmages and practices, only the state tournament.  It's up to the local school boards on whether to cancel the sport(s).  At this time our local school board is monitoring the situation.   Schools are still open and I assume practices for spring sports are ongoing.   Nothing in the local paper or on the school website.

I think this statement strikes more fear in me than shortages of toilet paper, water, cleaning supplies, dry food, etc.  Parents should be voicing their concerns to the board if necessary to wake them up.  People, this is a highly contagious virus, with an incubation period of several days to weeks.  You have no idea you are a carrier/infected until you show symptoms, and who knows how many you may have infected by then.  Majority will get better with little complications, but some elderly/sick may perish.  Remember since it's a virus you have it forever, much like other viruses such as chicken pox, Herpes, and HIV.  I love baseball, my son is one of those effected by the cancellations.  As difficult and inconvenient as it may seem, measures must be taken now to prevent a potential uncontrollable spread.

TheMaskedPlayer posted:
FoxDad posted:

I think this statement strikes more fear in me than shortages of toilet paper, water, cleaning supplies, dry food, etc.  Parents should be voicing their concerns to the board if necessary to wake them up.  People, this is a highly contagious virus, with an incubation period of several days to weeks.  You have no idea you are a carrier/infected until you show symptoms, and who knows how many you may have infected by then.  Majority will get better with little complications, but some elderly/sick may perish.  Remember since it's a virus you have it forever, much like other viruses such as chicken pox, Herpes, and HIV.  I love baseball, my son is one of those effected by the cancellations.  As difficult and inconvenient as it may seem, measures must be taken now to prevent a potential uncontrollable spread.

Just to dispel any myths that might be going around, the influenza illness is NOT a permanent/lifelong disease such as VAR, HSV, or HIV.

This is how misinformation leads to panic. 

So to answer a few questions some may be wondering/worrying about:

Is there  a cure for the flu - NO, there are antivirals that may lessen the degree of symptoms

Will I carry the flu for the rest of my life - NO, after the flu runs its course you will no longer be infected with the disease. 

Does influenza lie dormant such as VAR, HSV, or HIV - NO, and once influenza has run its course you will not continually test positive for it.

Does your immune system cause this to happen - YES, If contracted your immune system will produce antibodies that will make you somewhat resistant to the exact virus if you come in contact with it at a future time.

Then why do people continue to catch influenza - Almost all Influenza strains are highly contagious and evolve not only yearly, but also sometimes seasonally. This is why vaccines don't always work. Most common vaccines use the principal of building up antibodies as they incorporate the inactive (dead) version of the virus.

JSKelley posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

People have lost their minds.  Way overreacting.  This will all be gone in a month in warm weather states and probably two months for cold weather states.  You all can remind me in July if I am wrong. 

And what is your training and/or education to back up such an opinion?

Ironic that you are questioning the "minds" of medical and public health professionals. My wife is one of the former, is already overworked, and is working in chaotic conditions. Pray that you or your family don't have to be seen by her in the near future. Testing is near nonexistent, training is haphazard, protocols sporadically executed, and Negative pressure rooms and respirator time getting very hard to find.

Thousands are likely to die. Just hope it's not tens of thousands. With the lack of testing, we don't have a clear idea how many have died already. 

Hey, but if you get one more game in, that's all that matters, right?

Last edited by 57special

It's tough but we have to keep the greater good in mind. If we keep kids in school and they end up passing the virus around, they might get a minor illness but end up exposing their parents and grandparents, who could get much sicker. We've all seen how much deadly this is for those age 70 and up.  I'm sure we've also seen the chart of how coronavirus spread exponentially in China and Italy. Frankly, due to lack of testing we don't know how many people actually have it here. It's a time for logic and caution. If we practice social distancing and some common sense, we can prevent hospitals becoming overwhelmed here by being filled with sick, elderly patients. It's about more than baseball right now. 

FoxDad posted:

Looks like VHSL has power to postpone but not cancel? As of now, spring sports have been put on hold until March 30.

https://www.newsadvance.com/ne...da-5982cec5c88a.html

Earlier article with some info

https://www.newsadvance.com

Last edited by 2True
57special posted:
JSKelley posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

Ironic that you are questioning the "minds" of medical and public health professionals. My wife is one of the former, is already overworked, and is working in chaotic conditions. Pray that you or your family don't have to be seen by her in the near future. Testing is near nonexistent, training is haphazard, protocols sporadically executed, and Negative pressure rooms and respirator time getting very hard to find.

Thousands are likely to die. Just hope it's not tens of thousands. With the lack of testing, we don't have a clear idea how many have died already. 

Oh I don’t know, maybe because of HISTORY.  This situation isn’t any different than Swine Flu (H1N1), Severe Cute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), Bird Flu (H5N1, Anthrax, and on and on.  You know what all those have in common?  Not canceling NCAA basketball, baseball, softball, NBA, MLB, NHL, and on and on.  I mean, it’s a virus, not an incurable disease.  If you’re compromised already (old, young, poor health) by all means skip the ball game, or the cruise, or the flight....otherwise we are all fairly safe.  I’ve had the flu before.  I’ll probably get it again.  And each time will be a different strain...because it actually has to be.  You can’t get the same strain twice.  So thanks for playing into the mass hysteria.  I bet you have $1000 worth or toilet paper at home right now too.  

Last edited by DBAT-DFW
DBAT-DFW posted:
57special posted:
JSKelley posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

Oh I don’t know, maybe because of HISTORY.  This situation isn’t any different than Swine Flu (H1N1), Severe Cute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), Bird Flu (H5N1, Anthrax, and on and on.  You know what all those have in common?  Not canceling NCAA basketball, baseball, softball, NBA, MLB, NHL, and on and on.  I mean, it’s a virus, not an incurable disease.  If you’re compromised already (old, young, poor health) by all means skip the ball game, or the cruise, or the flight....otherwise we are all fairly safe.  I’ve had the flu before.  I’ll probably get it again.  And each time will be a different strain...because it actually has to be.  You can’t get the same strain twice.  So thanks for playing into the mass hysteria.  I bet you have $1000 worth or toilet paper at home right now too.  

As for me, thanks for the chicken little doomsday...I’m buying round trip tickets to Hawaii for this summer for $400 as I write this 👍🏼 

Last edited by DBAT-DFW
DBAT-DFW posted:
57special posted:
JSKelley posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

mean, it’s a virus, not an incurable disease. 

Dead seems to me pretty incurable. The CDC itself projected that between 200,000 and 1.7 million people could die, and that between 160 million and 214 million will get sick. Seems an outcome worth avoiding.

DBAT-DFW posted:
57special posted:
JSKelley posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

Hmmm....  should I accept the advice of the CDC, WHO and every other reputable public health authority in the world, or some anonymous Internet commenter???? 

I should know better than to engage, but:  Do you think Dr. Fauci and other officials have some reason to want to cause a panic?  Do you think they don't have 401ks?  I'm completely serious.  Are they just psychopaths who want power and attention at any cost?  What's the basis for your opinion?

No one here thinks COVID-19 is "an incurable disease."  But the best information currently indicates that the coronavirus is about 10x more lethal than the typical seasonal flu.  That doesn't mean you will see tumbrels full of corpses wheeling down your street.  It does mean that the health care system could be stretched beyond its limits, and that a lot of people, mostly elderly or with some underlying illness, could die.  I have no idea how old you are.  I'm middle-aged and this virus is unlikely to do more to me physically than cause me a couple of really unpleasant weeks (although it could be much worse).  But I have elderly relatives, friends who have other conditions that make them vulnerable.  You probably do, too.  

My medical credentials come strictly from the University of Google, but I don't automatically assume every virus is going to behave in the same manner when those with actual medical training tell me they won't.  (And you do realize that SARS and other outbreaks were not a bigger problem in part because they were contained via public health measures, some taken in the US but most taken elsewhere?)  

The problem is, that if containment measures work and we avoid major problems, you and others will insist there was never a reason to do anything.  Obviously we can never know what would have happened if we had behaved differently.  But my biggest public health concern right now is folks who insist they know better than the medical experts and refuse to follow their recommendations.  The CDC isn't perfect and they may be wrong.  But they know more than me (and more than you, I assume).

If you broke leg, would you want to see an orthopedic surgeon or would you look for a baker?  The baker might be able to set your leg and would charge you a lot less.  The orthopedist might make a mistake and lame you for life.  But my guess is you'd play the odds.  That is the case here as well.  I don't enjoy the disruptions, I don't enjoy watching the value of my retirement investments drop.  But sometimes life is like that.

Dude, the CDC guidance is literally the same guidance that’s given for any other flu outbreak.  It’s literally no different.  The media did the exact same overhype last spring (spring of 2019) with the “super flu”.  Have you forgotten that?  Whatever happened to that flu?  Oh yea, it warmed up and it died out.  It’s not even a memory now.  The media never came back and said “oh we overreacted in our coverage and our statements (yet they did).  Maybe we all should not even care since the very same media said we would all be dead by now due to WW-III with Iran.  The media is doing what they always do...overhype to get viewership.  Sales revenue is driven by viewership.  The worse they make it seem, the more money they make.  I’ll gather my own information, and then make my own decisions after that.  I’ve got a flight booked next week.  I’m not worried in the least about taking it, despite the media and their ridiculous overhyped reporting.

DBAT-DFW posted:

Dude, the CDC guidance is literally the same guidance that’s given for any other flu outbreak.  It’s literally no different.  The media did the exact same overhype last spring (spring of 2019) with the “super flu”.  Have you forgotten that?  Whatever happened to that flu?  Oh yea, it warmed up and it died out.  It’s not even a memory now.  The media never came back and said “oh we overreacted in our coverage and our statements (yet they did).  Maybe we all should not even care since the very same media said we would all be dead by now due to WW-III with Iran.  The media is doing what they always do...overhype to get viewership.  Sales revenue is driven by viewership.  The worse they make it seem, the more money they make.  I’ll gather my own information, and then make my own decisions after that.  I’ve got a flight booked next week.  I’m not worried in the least about taking it, despite the media and their ridiculous overhyped reporting.

"The media did the exact same overhype last spring..."  Then why was the reaction COMPLETELY different last spring?

"The Media" made universities move to online classes?  Made governors close schools statewide?  Made every major sports league suspend its season?  But somehow "The Media" was never able to get even a fraction of this reaction in prior outbreaks, even though they were exactly the same?  

Ball's in your court--what's different this time?  And you haven't answered my question:  Why are CDC officials and others supporting these actions?  I have yet to hear Anthony Fauci or any other NIH, CDC or state health official state that the public is overreacting.  Do you really think Harvard, the state of Ohio, MLB and NBA all are acting because of what they see on TV, or do you think maybe, just maybe, before incurring hundreds of millions of dollars in potential losses they consulted with some experts and evaluated the evidence?  (And before you tell me they are afraid of getting sued:  I'm an attorney.  No--that's not enough to motivate decisions on this scale.  You put up a sign or a railing because you are worried about a lawsuit; you don't completely shut down multibillion dollar sports leagues.)

The only argument you have is "prior viruses weren't so bad."  That only makes sense if you have some reason to believe this virus isn't more dangerous than other seasonal flus.  As I said before--and as you refuse to acknowledge--the current scientific evidence is that this strain is in fact more dangerous (approximately 10x more lethal) than typical influenza.  Does that mean we are heading for an apocalypse?  No.  Is it serious?  I'm not qualified to say.  But every reputable health organization worldwide thinks so.  And I have yet to hear any reason why you think you know better than they do.

I'm done.  You can have the last word if you want.  I sincerely hope neither you nor anyone you care about is affected by COVID-19.  In fact, I hope you are right and it's really no big deal.  But at this point, I have no reason to think so.

P.S. -- No stockpile of TP at my house.  

DBAT-DFW posted:

I wondered about this too.  So, I looked it up.  Here is what I found.

H1N1 first appeared in America in April 2009, AFTER spring break.  It started expanding, but then, like many influenzas, it subsided in the summer.  So, there was no need to cancel any baseball or other spring/summer sports (There is not a lot on HSBBW about H1N1 - I checked! - but there is some).  By August, "only" 1 million were infected and around 500 people had died.

They announced a vaccine by the end of September (the virus had been circulating long before that), and started vaccinating in mid-October.  However, as everyone went back to school/college and the weather cooled, it spread like mad; by mid-November there were 22 million cases and 4000 deaths, by mid-January there were 55 million cases and 11,000 deaths.  At its height, around 1000 schools were shut down.

So, the timing was very different.  And, with H1N1, older people, who otherwise have more health problems, HAD been exposed to it and had some immunity; it was younger people who were more affected.  With this coronavirus, no-one has been exposed before.

If you are elderly, and you go to church, and you catch it there from someone who travelled to a baseball game, and then you have to go to Intensive Care - is that irresponsible?  Whose irresponsibility it is?  I agree that if we could know who will get mild cases, we should actually encourage all of them to go out and get it now, quarantine, and get it out of the way.  But we are all intertwined with each other, including people with health risks, and so it doesn't work that way.

Basically, you can take the attitude that old and sick people will die anyway, so why wreck our lifestyle and economy for them - some countries seem to have that approach.  I'm kind of glad that that is not our approach.

DBAT-DFW posted:

H1N1 is not a coronavirus.  It was a novel influenza A virus.  They were able to use antiviral drugs to alleviate the symptoms and shorten the duration of the sickness.  And as someone said, since it's a variation of influenza A, some of the older people have immunity against this strain.  Furthermore, the mortality rate was around 0.1 and the R0 (transmission rate) was around 1.5 (1 infected person infects an average of 1.5 person).

SARS has a higher mortality rate than covid 19 and similar R0.  However, severe symptoms are present at once in infected people that it was easier to identify and isolate infected individuals.

In contrast, covid 19 has mortality rate of between 1 to 3.5% (multitude larger than seasonal flu and H1N1), and R0 of around 2.5.

The initial data shows that covid 19 is in the sweet spot of transmission rate, mortality rate, the severity of the symptoms, and when the symptoms start presenting.  Please consider all these information before arriving at your conclusion as your action can cause the death of someone.

atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:

H1N1 is not a coronavirus.  It was a novel influenza A virus.  They were able to use antiviral drugs to alleviate the symptoms and shorten the duration of the sickness.  And as someone said, since it's a variation of influenza A, some of the older people have immunity against this strain.  Furthermore, the mortality rate was around 0.1 and the R0 (transmission rate) was around 1.5 (1 infected person infects an average of 1.5 person).

SARS has a higher mortality rate than covid 19 and similar R0.  However, severe symptoms are present at once in infected people that it was easier to identify and isolate infected individuals.

In contrast, covid 19 has mortality rate of between 1 to 3.5% (multitude larger than seasonal flu and H1N1), and R0 of around 2.5.

The initial data shows that covid 19 is in the sweet spot of transmission rate, mortality rate, the severity of the symptoms, and when the symptoms start presenting.  Please consider all these information before arriving at your conclusion as your action can cause the death of someone.

Where are you getting this data?  

...”In contrast, covid 19 has mortality rate of between 1 to 3.5% (multitude larger than seasonal flu and H1N1)”...

It’s not even more than 1.0% in China, must less in the U.S. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...ratedRelated_article

the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2

DBAT-DFW posted:
atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:

...”In contrast, covid 19 has mortality rate of between 1 to 3.5% (multitude larger than seasonal flu and H1N1)”...

the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2

https://www.thelancet.com/jour...(20)30195-X/fulltext

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/arti...26/6/20-0320_article

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Extract from the last link.  I do recognize that it is a constantly changing number, and that the numbers are based on confirmed case.  Not sure how they calculated H1N1.  But whatever number is used right now, it is still magnitude higher than H1N1.  It could change after the pandemic is over after scientist is able to truly assess it.  But H1N1 did not have this high a fatality rate when it was at this same point during the outbreak.

Global case fatality rate of COVID-19

Based on the discussion of the definition of the case fatality rate (CFR), we should stress again that there is no single figure of CFR for any particular disease. The CFR varies by location, and is typically changing over time.

However, with a good understanding of the measure and its limitations, CFR is helpful for understanding what we currently know about the severity of the disease and for responding accordingly.

In the period up to and including 9th March 2020, the global Case Fatality Rate for COVID-19 are as follows.

Case fatality rate globally = 3.48%
[based on 109,578 confirmed cases and 3809 deaths]

Case fatality rate in China: 3.86%
[based on 80,904 confirmed cases and 3123 deaths]

Case fatality rate for the rest of the world: 2.39%
[based on 28,674 confirmed and 686 deaths]

As explained above, this number has changed and it will continue to change. It’s currently higher than the estimates of a CFR of around 2% that were published until early February.

As we’ve discussed above, this does not necessarily represent a worsening of the situation: as we saw during the SARS outbreak, the CFR can rise during an outbreak because the outcome of more cases becomes known. 

As we also explained above, it would be wrong to assume that this CFR would be true everywhere, because it is a global average of confirmed deaths and cases. The early CFR in Wuhan was very high as we see here; the large number of deaths there in the early period impacts the average.

Other studies for the Zhejiang province suggest that the CFR in China outside of Wuhan was likely lower.40

DBAT-DFW, the NEJM article you cite is from Feb. 28--that's quite a while ago given how fast things are moving.  I'd argue the fairest answer on mortality rates is "nobody knows yet," but most estimates seem to be around 1%.  

Here's a link to an article appearing yesterday in The Lancet finding much higher rates than I generally have seen (5.7%) -- https://www.thelancet.com/jour...(20)30195-X/fulltext

WHO was using a 3.4% number for a while, but most sources I have seen say the rate is more like 1% (see this link, for example:  https://www.nytimes.com/intera...us-what-we-know.html)

Mortality for an average seasonal flu season is usually estimated at around 0.1% (e.g., see here:  https://khn.org/news/fact-chec...-flu-mortality-rate/).  That would make COVID-19, at the low end of current estimates, about 10 times as deadly as most influenza viruses.

Last winter, CDC estimated there were 34,200 influenza deaths in the USA.  (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html).  

Every number I cited above about the current outbreak could turn out to be wrong in either direction.     

DBAT-DFW posted:
atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:

The article that you quoted was from 2/28/20, which at this time, due to a very fluid evolving situation, is probably considered outdated. 

I still don't know why people feel comfort in regurgitating random statistics. I know they probably came directly off the CDC website or something similar, but it confuses me because these statistics are best guess at most. After all if you are not testing everyone then guess what happens? The numbers and ratios get skewed. I also can confirm from personal experience that there are quite a bit false negatives as well. Whether this comes from a faulty cartridge, testing too early in the disease process, or incompetent sample taking; your guess is as good as mine. That's why a lot of seasoned doctors will just treat empirically from a detailed exam of the patient. What they are actually saying when they do this is "through my years of experience I don't want a false negative to get in the way of effectively treating my patient." From a boots on the ground (ER personnel) perspective, the swine flu of 09 was actually much worse than most "numbers" pointed toward

https://www.livescience.com/41...ath-toll-higher.html

I'll echo what I posted before. Back in 09 the general public really didn't care or notice that not adults, but kids were being hit the hardest. A couple of our local schools shut done for a week or so to deep clean, and on with life we went. Everybody is so up in arms to "save the elders" (which I do NOT disagree with), but I ask why weren't you doing the same for the  children. So I must ask, what do you think has changed??? If your having a hard time with that question then you've been self quarantined for a little over 3 years now. 

ReluctantO'sFan posted:

I still don't know why people feel comfort in regurgitating random statistics. I know they probably came directly off the CDC website or something similar, but it confuses me because these statistics are best guess at most. After all if you are not testing everyone then guess what happens? The numbers and ratios get skewed. I also can confirm from personal experience that there are quite a bit false negatives as well. Whether this comes from a faulty cartridge, testing too early in the disease process, or incompetent sample taking; your guess is as good as mine. That's why a lot of seasoned doctors will just treat empirically from a detailed exam of the patient. What they are actually saying when they do this is "through my years of experience I don't want a false negative to get in the way of effectively treating my patient." From a boots on the ground (ER personnel) perspective, the swine flu of 09 was actually much worse than most "numbers" pointed toward

https://www.livescience.com/41...ath-toll-higher.html

I'll echo what I posted before. Back in 09 the general public really didn't care or notice that not adults, but kids were being hit the hardest. A couple of our local schools shut done for a week or so to deep clean, and on with life we went. Everybody is so up in arms to "save the elders" (which I do NOT disagree with), but I ask why weren't you doing the same for the  children. So I must ask, what do you think has changed??? If your having a hard time with that question then you've been self quarantined for a little over 3 years now. 

I will oversimplify this. “Children” which for the purpose of this discussion/post includes young people, are not in charge. 

Last edited by RoadRunner

Here is an excellent and very clear page that explains the risks; by a European, so not related to US politics:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/25...to-flatten-the-curve

I like what he says here:

And remember this: democracies deal with emergencies by relying on personal responsibility and voluntary behavioural change. Take this responsibility seriously. And demonstrate leadership. It is a common misconception that leadership lies with government only. This is not true. Leadership is everywhere. Every employer, every manager, every teacher, every public servant, every parent is a leader. Everyone who makes decisions on behalf of other people is a leader. Every handshake is a decision. If you're young and healthy and fall ill, you'll most likely be OK. But the best way to protect the groups at risk, like the elderly and those with chronic conditions, is not to catch the virus yourself. Deny it the opportunity to use your body as a vector. Fight it.

Update from Southern California. 2021’s league (private high schools) has suspended play until April 13th. His team has suspended practice until March 23rd, and will not resume non-league games until April 1st. Let’s give this thing a week or two and then see where we stand. Classes are going to be conducted on-line until Spring Break begins on April 6 through the 17th. Oh, and our game yesterday which was to be our last before the suspension was rained out and it is raining all of this next week anyway!

ReluctantO'sFan posted:

I still don't know why people feel comfort in regurgitating random statistics.

Because the alternative is... what, exactly?  Yes, every data point we have today may turn out to be incorrect.  But if we aren't going to follow the guidance of the CDC and state public health officials, then --- what?  Nihilism?  Willful ignorance?  

If what you mean is that we'd all be happier if we just stopped looking at the latest guesstimates, then you are probably right. Then again, when someone argues here that COVID-19 is just like seasonal influenza, if we don't point out the available numbers to refute that then all we can do is go round and round with "is not!; is, too!"

I've said this several times now:  I do not think "experts" are infallible.  I also don't think we have anything close to complete information.  But I believe in following the best guidance/info currently available.  If you want to argue that the current reaction is too much (or too little), then I'm willing to listen.  But I want to know what data you are relying on and why you think I should trust it.

As for why this is different than 2009:  In my area, at least, no schools or businesses closed then, and I wasn't told to start teaching my classes online.  If your argument is that we should have done more in 2009, then my response is "you could be right, but how does that impact what we are doing now?"  If you are contending that because 2009 proves this is an overreaction, then I'm willing to listen to your argument--but I don't have the power to re-open my kids schools or the university where I teach.  

Before you tell me they are not the same, they somewhat are.   They are about life.  Many of the same people in my personal life who are in the biggest uproar about this virus are the same ones who are pro-abortion.  You can't say life is important in a virus pandemic and be pro-abortion.

GLOBAL INCIDENCE AND TRENDS

• During 2010–2014, an estimated 56 million induced abortions occurred each year worldwide. This number represents an increase from 50 million annually during 1990–1994, mainly because of population growth. 

• As of 2010–2014, the global annual rate of abortion for all women of reproductive age (15–44) is estimated to be 35 per 1,000, which is a reduction from the 1990–1994 rate of 40 per 1,000. 

• The estimated global abortion rate as of 2010–2014 is 35 per 1,000 for married women and 26 per 1,000 for unmarried women.1

• Women in developing regions have a higher likelihood of having an abortion than those in developed regions—36 vs. 27 per 1,000.

• Between 1990–1994 and 2010–2014, the abortion rate declined markedly in developed regions, from 46 to 27 per 1,000, but remained roughly the same in developing regions.

• The annual number of abortions during the period fell in developed regions, from about 12 million to seven million; in contrast, the number increased in developing regions, from 38 million to 49 million, although this change mainly reflects the growth of the reproductive-age population.

• The proportion of abortions worldwide that occur in developing regions rose from 76% to 88% between 1990–1994 and 2010–2014.

• Globally, 25% of all pregnancies ended in abortion in 2010–2014. Between 1990–1994 and 2010–2014, the proportion of pregnancies ending in abortion fell from 39% to 27% in developed countries, while it rose from 21% to 24% in developing countries.1

PitchingFan posted:

Before you tell me they are not the same, they somewhat are.   They are about life.  Many of the same people in my personal life who are in the biggest uproar about this virus are the same ones who are pro-abortion.  You can't say life is important in a virus pandemic and be pro-abortion.

GLOBAL INCIDENCE AND TRENDS

• During 2010–2014, an estimated 56 million induced abortions occurred each year worldwide. This number represents an increase from 50 million annually during 1990–1994, mainly because of population growth. 

• As of 2010–2014, the global annual rate of abortion for all women of reproductive age (15–44) is estimated to be 35 per 1,000, which is a reduction from the 1990–1994 rate of 40 per 1,000. 

• The estimated global abortion rate as of 2010–2014 is 35 per 1,000 for married women and 26 per 1,000 for unmarried women.1

• Women in developing regions have a higher likelihood of having an abortion than those in developed regions—36 vs. 27 per 1,000.

• Between 1990–1994 and 2010–2014, the abortion rate declined markedly in developed regions, from 46 to 27 per 1,000, but remained roughly the same in developing regions.

• The annual number of abortions during the period fell in developed regions, from about 12 million to seven million; in contrast, the number increased in developing regions, from 38 million to 49 million, although this change mainly reflects the growth of the reproductive-age population.

• The proportion of abortions worldwide that occur in developing regions rose from 76% to 88% between 1990–1994 and 2010–2014.

• Globally, 25% of all pregnancies ended in abortion in 2010–2014. Between 1990–1994 and 2010–2014, the proportion of pregnancies ending in abortion fell from 39% to 27% in developed countries, while it rose from 21% to 24% in developing countries.1

Dude, it’s not Sunday.  And this is the wrong platform for that speech! 

this is neither political or religious.  It is about life.  I did not bring either into it.  I brought the same issue into it that we are talking about.  How important is life to us in our settings.  let's be honest that this is what we are ultimately arguing or discussing.  Whether our freedoms are worth someone losing their life or being faced with an illness.  Some people want their freedoms no matter what happens to others while others are willing to give up some of their freedoms to take care of others.  That is ultimately what we are debating on here.  Is giving up some baseball games or other things worth possibly saving other people's lives.  Or should they make their own choices and deal with the circumstances?  Is that not true?  Is our freedom worth someone else's life?  That is what this all comes down to.

While I agree with you Pitchingfan, I really don't know what the debate over if this is the end of times or not, if its political or not, etc. has to do with baseball?  All I really want to know is how does this affect my kid? his friends? next year?...is it a free for all? are NLIs going to mean anything? are rosters going to be 50+? what are our options? Are 2021s with verbals screwed? is the draft going to move to August? What is kids report for summer school as recruits, is the draft out?  Will they redshirt everyone?  Etc, Etc...the rest, is what it is.  We can't change the decisions whether we agree or not...its what's next?

Last edited by baseballhs

My opinion on parts of this.   I think the top 25-50% in each class at almost every school committed is good.  I think 50-75% will move down a level.  P5 will go to mid major, mid major to low D1 and so on including 2020s who have signed NLI’s.  Some will go juco and some to D2/3/naia and so on.  NLIs will only have power if they want to stay but many will be told point blank we might have room on roster but we won’t have room in lineup. I think 20s-23s will feel the blunt of it except the top 25% of college bound players.  Others will end up going down a level. People keep saying that seniors will not come back but for the kid who was a good mid major D1 player for four years to have a shot at playing P5 ball his fifth year, I think he will come back and the same goes for some others.   They will apply for graduate   transfer   
My son will get four more years but so far this year it has cost me $6,000 an inning played.  He will have 3 shots to be drafted unless they change something with that.  Great negotiating power after jr year, some after sr year and none after 5th year.  
as others Jmho 

PitchingFan posted:

My opinion on parts of this.   I think the top 25-50% in each class at almost every school committed is good.  I think 50-75% will move down a level.  P5 will go to mid major, mid major to low D1 and so on including 2020s who have signed NLI’s.  Some will go juco and some to D2/3/naia and so on.  NLIs will only have power if they want to stay but many will be told point blank we might have room on roster but we won’t have room in lineup. I think 20s-23s will feel the blunt of it except the top 25% of college bound players.  Others will end up going down a level. People keep saying that seniors will not come back but for the kid who was a good mid major D1 player for four years to have a shot at playing P5 ball his fifth year, I think he will come back and the same goes for some others.   They will apply for graduate   transfer   
My son will get four more years but so far this year it has cost me $6,000 an inning played.  He will have 3 shots to be drafted unless they change something with that.  Great negotiating power after jr year, some after sr year and none after 5th year.  
as others Jmho 

The issue here is acceptance to schools.  2020 deadlines have passed, or about to pass at every school for fall.   I suppose players could apply for Spring 2021.  I have a very hard time seeing commitments being pulled from 2020's at this point.   I guess 2020's could just be cut, prob the more likely outcome.  The coaches will need time to see who graduates and moves onto the real world to determine roster needs.  I have no doubt that there will be current college players using all 4 years of their eligibility but the numbers might not be as large as some think.  At my 2020's college commitment, there is a master's program but the cost of that program for 1 year is $100k or you could opt to get an MBA in 1 year accelerated at only $130k.  So players staying for a master's year is low in my opinion but perhaps there are D1 kids being forced out that would now consider D3.  Most certainly many more transfers than usual will occur.   We will just roll with the punches and figure it out.

Many will decide to move on and graduate on schedule.  And cost will surely be a big factor.  But remember that overall applications to grad school went up >8% per year during the last recession.  I think people are smarter about taking on student loan debt than they were ten years ago; but if the economy slows, that will affect the number of players who decide to postpone entry into the job market.

Had my son been in this situation I would have encouraged him to think mid major. It’s hard enough to earn opportunities as a middle of the pack freshman prospect and prove yourself. It will be harder next year.

Amyone who is middle of the pack at the level they would normally target might want to think about targeting down a level.

RJM posted:

Had my son been in this situation I would have encouraged him to think mid major. It’s hard enough to earn opportunities as a middle of the pack freshman prospect and prove yourself. It will be harder next year.

Amyone who is middle of the pack at the level they would normally target might want to think about targeting down a level.

This! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.