Skip to main content

@old_school posted:

this is tough one, I don't see any good coming from it quickly. I do think the economics will sort out the players sooner rather then later for the 21 class it is going to be slim pickings.

I would think by 22 it will be much less and 23 the pipeline cleared. For anyone who is a current college player concerned about scholarship money the 5th year will only be an option for the absolute top players who don't get drafted. For the rest even though they may have eligibility they would have to pay the full freight, that is going to shrink the numbers quickly. 

the whole thing is a damn shame. 

Well, IMO, I agree with YOU.  Most players except for this last senior class will not see a 5th year, except for injury.  

If they boys are curious and want to know, they should bring it up and seek feedback.

Anyone in high school is old enough to be responsible to reach out and discuss with the coach on their own.

The coaches have seen them in Baseball class, workouts and practice.

We were playing in early Feb here in Texas and "coachless" workouts were in Jan. 

Do most coaches usually meet with players/families to talk about their individual performance and what they need to work on? I know a couple of high schools around here do, but my son's coach does not from what I've heard. 

My son’s coach met with every player about specific skills to improve and baseball and physical metrics they would like to see met by the beginning of practice the following season. Players were expected to show up ready to go 100% when tryouts start.

Our HS coaches at all levels(we have 4 teams, sometimes more) have a final individual meeting with all their players. It can be as short as 3-4 minutes, and as long as 20. Parents are not welcome to those meetings. That way lies madness.

As one Legendary HS hockey coach said, after giving out his private # to all his player's parents, " If your player has any problems with school, socially, or at home, please don't hesitate to call. Just don't talk to me about hockey."

Same as everyone is saying... when I coached, there was regular feedback to the players.  At least a few times during the practice season and game season, I would make rounds and discuss where each player stood at that point in time, strengths and weaknesses, expectations, what to work on, what their role is, etc.  End of season, there was a detailed write up on same plus an off-season plan.  We meshed this with the dialog that occurred during the normal course of instruction.  

There was zero reason why a player wouldn't know where he stood and what he needed to do to change that.  Even with that, teens are teens and one or two each season still had some distorted perception but overall, it worked well with the players.  

We had the same pre-season speech with parents as others mentioned as well... making it clear that the players would know exactly where they stood and it wasn't to be discussed with parents unless there was a safety or other major concern.  It is amazing that the very minority problem parents would somehow be the ones not make that meeting or otherwise deny that was ever stated.   Then, of course there was the "lost in translation" issue that was inevitable between player and parents.  Still, this was the right way to do it.

CT followed MA, NY and NJ today and finally cancelled in-person school for the year.  That is the end of high school baseball for son.   They held out in CT as long as they could and that's all that I could have asked - follow the data and make an informed decision.   The good news here is 12 straight days of declines in hospitalizations, so about to meet a federal guideline.   Things to start opening up on May 20th.

I hope this doesn’t come across as bragging, but I want to be a proud dad for a minute.  Texas just released the final 2020 season stats for 6A and my son (Senior) ended up pretty good in several categories:

2896 qualified player entries

AVG: T70  (.460)

Hits: T5 (23)

Runs: T46 (15)

RBI: 1 (24)

Doubles: T3 (8)

SB: T22 (11)

Don’t know how you could possibly do that when no games were played.  At least my son’s team got in 17 games (so maybe a little less than half) before the plug was pulled.  I will say, on the topic of “All State Teams”, it was interesting to look at the Perfect Game 1st and 2nd All Area Teams for my area and see how the PG ranked players did versus how the actual game performance stats showed.  I noted one kid in particular that made first team at my son’s position that didn’t even hit his weight (something like .150 Average) and was named a PG 1st team kid.  He didn’t do any better last year.  Gotta love baseball politics.  What other plausible answer could you conclude? 

@Eokerholm posted:

yep, not sure they got all the stats correct or reported, but good to see him #35 in Ks and #50 in ERA by their book.

Also, our summer team may need some extra arms if you’re interested.  We are already confirmed for the Connie Mack that’s been moved from Farmington, NM to Joplin, MO.  We won a lot last year and are tying to go out with a bang in our final summer together.  

Last edited by DBAT-DFW
@DBAT-DFW posted:

Stats were reported by the coaches of each team.  

One thing I can tell you with 100% certainly is that HS stats are not accurate. They are often kept by a parent with an agenda, a bench player who doesn’t give a sh$t, or an Asst Coach who is daydreaming about football formations. Not the mention the huge disparity in talent (especially pitching) from district to district, classification to classification, and state to state. That’s why college coaches don’t give much weight to HS stats. They depend on what they see with their own eyes. 

Yeah, around here, HS "stats" available to the public are a joke. At best, they are incomplete. The team does keep internal stats that are usually pretty accurate, though. At a big public like ours, they are usually kept by a non playing student manager , and corrected by the one of the coaches.

My 2018 had quite a bit of interest from colleges, and was never once asked about his stats. AFAIK. Most colleges never talked to his HS coaches, either...maybe a bit more to his travel coach.

Agree. Fortunately for our team we have a parent (and a back up) that does Gamechanger. I'm sure there is stuff they miss and that's expected and just appreciate the time they put into showing up to games and broadcasting for times when parents can't make it to games. 

It's HS ball, y'all.  No one is getting an offer out of HS stats or season alone. Thankful and Nice to be included and recognized. Some good news to share for a change.

Nice to look at it and life "Glass Half Full", when you can....

Let's hope the TX "reopen" continues to go smoothly and the tourneys take off without a hitch and safely.

@adbono posted:

One thing I can tell you with 100% certainly is that HS stats are not accurate. They are often kept by a parent with an agenda, a bench player who doesn’t give a sh$t, or an Asst Coach who is daydreaming about football formations. Not the mention the huge disparity in talent (especially pitching) from district to district, classification to classification, and state to state. That’s why college coaches don’t give much weight to HS stats. They depend on what they see with their own eyes. 

Yep, the RC at the University when my son committed (signed his NLI) didn’t ask about his stats at all.  Actually, none of the schools recruiting him asked, and he was a late signee.  The published stats are more of a reward for the hard work than a recruiting tool.

@DBAT-DFW posted:

I hope this doesn’t come across as bragging, but I want to be a proud dad for a minute.  Texas just released the final 2020 season stats for 6A and my son (Senior) ended up pretty good in several categories:

2896 qualified player entries

AVG: T70  (.460)

Hits: T5 (23)

Runs: T46 (15)

RBI: 1 (24)

Doubles: T3 (8)

SB: T22 (11)

You are.   But that is why I started this thread.  Congrats to your son.  Great season, even though a short one. 

My 2020 graduated from high school yesterday via vehicle parade through the high school campus.  He starts travel practice today (in small groups).  We may get in some games in Georgia soon.     

My son graduates a week from tomorrow.  It’s being held at Texas Motor Speedway.  Chairs spaced 6-feet apart on the front stretch.  With 700 kids graduating (had close to 80 tryout for his Freshman team - they took 20, ended up with 8 seniors of which 4 were starters - Making a Texas 6A varsity team ain’t no joke) there will be a lot of chairs.  We have to watch it on the giant “Big Hoss” TV screen on the backstretch and are not allowed to leave our cars.  Think of it like a drive in movie only during the day and with 1400 cars.  He has to wear a mask when receiving his diploma.  Summer collegiate league starts the second week of June.  I hope you get some real games soon in Georgia.  You guys actually started opening up before us.  Good luck!

Last edited by DBAT-DFW
@DBAT-DFW posted:

My son graduates a week from tomorrow.  It’s being held at Texas Motor Speedway.  Chairs spaced 6-feet apart on the front stretch.  With 700 kids graduating (had close to 80 tryout for his Freshman team - they took 20, ended up with 8 seniors of which 4 were starters - Making a Texas 6A varsity team ain’t no joke) there will be a lot of chairs.  We have to watch it on the giant “Big Hoss” TV screen on the backstretch and are not allowed to leave our cars.  Think of it like a drive in movie only during the day and with 1400 cars.  He has to wear a mask when receiving his diploma.  Summer collegiate league starts the second week of June.  I hope you get some real games soon in Georgia.  You guys actually started opening up before us.  Good luck!

That is awesome. I'm glad they get to actually walk!! That's a huge accomplishment to pass up on!
Congrats!

@DBAT-DFW posted:

Down here north of Houston, they are going to have graduation for several of the area high schools at the big football stadium that the schools share. The bigger schools are having their class split up. They are having an 8am graduation session and 8pm session, giving them time between to come in and do some house cleaning. They are allowing 4 tickets per graduate in the ceremony and each family has to social distance from the others. The graduates chairs down on the football field will be at least 6 feet apart. It was pretty cool how this all came together very quickly. 

And another note, the group in Texas trying to get high school sports to resume since youth sports can resume practicing on May 31st, is presenting their outline to the governor and the UIL with the backing from several state senators and reps. I am not sure if it will get anywhere, seems like presenting weeks ago may have been better, but there is a small outside chance they may be able to convince the governor and the UIL to put together an ending to the high school season. They have like 22,000 signatures on a petition that they are also providing with their game plan.

I think a lot of districts have done a fantastic job of thinking outside the box to make graduation happen.  Sadly, ours seems to have done very little planning.  Our kids get a virtual graduation on Friday.  They gave us a day and a half to turn in their info and pictures and they are sending the link to the virtual graduation a few hours before it starts.  It's a stark contrast to what other Texas districts are doing.

@Eokerholm posted:

not sure how UIL is going to work for us in TX to continue HS season into Summer. We will definitely choose Summer Travel Team over local High School.....as will most. HS baseball doesn't even come close to the caliber or quality of summer travel and competition.....

I’m sure the smaller 4A school and below this is definitely true.  In my son’s 6A district you don’t even get to see mound time unless you’re 86+.  I think there was one starter last year in the entire district under 85, and he was a lefty.  Summer ball is a let down compared to our district. 

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Down here north of Houston, they are going to have graduation for several of the area high schools at the big football stadium that the schools share. The bigger schools are having their class split up. They are having an 8am graduation session and 8pm session, giving them time between to come in and do some house cleaning. They are allowing 4 tickets per graduate in the ceremony and each family has to social distance from the others. The graduates chairs down on the football field will be at least 6 feet apart. It was pretty cool how this all came together very quickly. 

And another note, the group in Texas trying to get high school sports to resume since youth sports can resume practicing on May 31st, is presenting their outline to the governor and the UIL with the backing from several state senators and reps. I am not sure if it will get anywhere, seems like presenting weeks ago may have been better, but there is a small outside chance they may be able to convince the governor and the UIL to put together an ending to the high school season. They have like 22,000 signatures on a petition that they are also providing with their game plan.

Wouldn’t count on it. If there is an organization that is more ridiculous than the NCAA it’s the UIL. 

@DBAT-DFW posted:

I’m sure the smaller 4A school and below this is definitely true.  In my son’s 6A district you don’t even get to see mound time unless you’re 86+.  I think there was one starter last year in the entire district under 85, and he was a lefty.  Summer ball is a let down compared to our district. 

Same here. My son's high school team was nationally ranked and expected to make a run for the state 6A title. Before the draft was cut to 5 rounds, they were probably going to have 3 draft picks. Now probably only one. But I think most on our varsity team would definitely come back, especially since there was a bunch of seniors. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.