Skip to main content

Question for the group.

Son is a 2020 RHP. He has had interest from several schools, from D2 to NAIA. He finally narrowed his choices down to five schools. Of those five, two have dropped off because of coaching changes. The three remaining are two D3’s and an NAIA. Both D3’s have informed him he is their top target RHP for his class. This has come directly from the PC’s at both schools. He has spoke with one of the HC’s. He would be happy to attend all three of the schools.

This past Saturday, his summer team HC told him that he has had several conversations with the HC at the NAIA school and he has indicated they “ want him”. My son has had a couple brief conversations with the HC at a tournament held at their field and at an “invite only” camp. My son has had several convos with the RC via text and over the phone. His summer coach is very well connected and has a fantastic reputation, we have no reason to think he’s mistaken. Question is: we have never heard from the HC about their interest. Is this normal? This school has always been my sons top choice.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is not unusual for RC to conduct the majority of dialog, sometimes all dialog up through the offer.  If I am player/parent, I would insist there be a discussion with HC prior to committing.  You can state your awareness of the fact that coaches move around a lot and want to make sure you hear level of interest from both. 

That said, I didn't hear that you have an offer from the NAIA school yet.  Since you are having regular dialog and others are saying they are very interested, you may want to mention that you would like to have all the information together soon so you can start working on figuring out which school you will commit to (so, you are politely asking if there is an offer forthcoming and when).  Then, you'll find out exactly how interested the NAIA school is and what their offer is, if any.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Agree fully with CabbageDad.  Especially for a PO, it will be the pitching coach and possible the RC that all of the early dialogue comes from.  You said your son has been seen by the HC and that is good.  However, you have not said if your son has toured the campus yet or observed the baseball team practice/scrimmage.  That is a big step for your son to decide "fit" if he has not already done so.  Plan a visit for once school starts up again and he can visit and experience it all.  My son had a lot of initial interest in an NAIA in a beautiful location, but once he visited the campus and talked to the players, he immediately lost interest.  The same would apply to the D3s as well (remember they have a tight practice window in the Fall, so you have less time to visit and see the team in action).

It is on those visits where you can really gauge the true level of interest.  It is up to your son to do the talking and experience all of the other activities, but any HC worth his weight will involve the parent in the final discussion about interests and $$.  One HC passed off my son to his assistant for the day, and we crossed off that school that day.  One spent most of the day with him and he was one of the final two schools to decide on.  It is very important to get that sense of how committed they are to your son.  Good luck.

Backstop22,

Thanks for your response.

He has visited two of the schools. He spent the night at the D3 and went through a workout with the team. He spent the day at the NAIA, toured the school, dorms, went through a workout and spent time with the players. Both of these were “ camps” with other recruits.

Son was very proactive up through HS season and he kinda let off the recruiting gas during summer ball. Sounds like it might be time to step on the gas again.

This is why I love this site.

LuvMyKids posted:

Question for the group.

Son is a 2020 RHP. He has had interest from several schools, from D2 to NAIA. He finally narrowed his choices down to five schools. Of those five, two have dropped off because of coaching changes. The three remaining are two D3’s and an NAIA. Both D3’s have informed him he is their top target RHP for his class. This has come directly from the PC’s at both schools. He has spoke with one of the HC’s. He would be happy to attend all three of the schools.

This past Saturday, his summer team HC told him that he has had several conversations with the HC at the NAIA school and he has indicated they “ want him”. My son has had a couple brief conversations with the HC at a tournament held at their field and at an “invite only” camp. My son has had several convos with the RC via text and over the phone. His summer coach is very well connected and has a fantastic reputation, we have no reason to think he’s mistaken. Question is: we have never heard from the HC about their interest. Is this normal? This school has always been my sons top choice.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mine didn't even meet his head coach until he accidentally bumped into him at a restaurant  a few blocks off campus almost a year after he had committed. That was awkward. "Hey coach, my name is __________, I'm going to be playing for you." Of all the schools that offered I think he had only met 2 HCs. 

Some HCs are very hands on and are involved in every step of the process. Others are just managers and guys that are good in dealing with the university and have faith in their staff to do the right thing. Don't sweat it too much. An offer is an offer. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.