Skip to main content

Our 2020 OF/RHP was diagnosed with possible labrum tear. We have been to 3 Doctors over the past year. Last week did MRI with die and they weren't 100% sure of a tear but saw enough and recommended surgery since rest and rehab has not worked. Also found a minor tear of UCL, they said would heal on it's own with rehab. Also some irregularity in shoulder and want to do cleanup and get closer look at labrum. Best case would be scope with cleanup of scar tissue/bursitis. No time-frame given. We are assuming his HS spring ball is shot for at least throwing, maybe more. Possibly DH if things go well. Maybe even impacting his ability for fall 2020 at college. This diagnosis is coming from a well respected Doc in DFW with extensive experience with baseball throwing injuries. Our 2020's ability to throw hard and his recruiting has been affected. He's been at 86-87 with arm issues, so we are leaning towards surgery so he can get healthy and get a shot at college ball. He's 6" 2" 185 and runs 6.8 and primary corner OF. He's a good student with 4.0 weighted/28 ACT. He's had offers but uncommitted. Considering options for post grad or just re-classifying to 2021 to get healthy since most of his tryouts and performances seem impacted by his injury. Is there a big downside to re-classifying and taking another shot? 

Km

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry to hear of your son's shoulder injury.  Good news is he's not a PO, has a solid academic resume, size and respectable speed.  Unfortunately my son has some experience with the labrum surgery timeline.  Coincidentally he also did a PG year, unrelated to the labrum injury though.  But I'm sure you're aware that recovery from labrum surgery takes 12-18 months, give or take based on degree of tear, whether PO or DH, etc.  

So let's say your son has labrum surgery January 1, 2020.  In theory, he should be able to throw on a limited basis by June 1.  Again, that's limited throwing, under supervision, and restrictions.  If he did a PG year, (extra year of HS) he could possibly be DH'ing for fall ball to get some looks.  By March 2021 he could be playing LF or RF and throwing at game speed.  But the spring season for a PG year in baseball won't do much to draw attention as the recruiting window will have ended by then.  He will need the fall ball season for showcases and camps to get looks.  Definitely stay in touch with current coaches who've shown interest already, they'll be best bet as they'll be willing to credit him the level of play they witnessed with their own eyes pre-surgery.  Unless he's able to rake with the bat in fall ball 2020, he may not draw any new interest due to the surgery.  

Being game ready in September, only 8-months post surgery, may not be doable.  My experience is with POs and if he were a PO there no way.  But DH'ing I'd say good chance, but being able to truly throw at 100% won't be till after 12-months, depending on the level of surgery (# of anchors inserted for example).  Mine is now approaching 14-months post labrum surgery and I'd say he's at about 80% throwing capacity (velo and endurance).  Still needs to be careful and limited in what he does.  Definitely still in cautious mode.  

The application timeline for PG years is approaching.  Most deadlines are in January I believe with notifications going out in March.  

Hope this helps.  Best of luck to your son.  

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

Thanks. I really appreciate your insights. He has surgery this Friday so will get a head start on recovery before the holidays. Plus we will know more after the surgery. He's got a great attitude and treating this time to focus on school, speed and flexibility. He's an athletic kid and feels he can get down to 6.5 with some track and leg work. Will keep you posted. Good luck with your son's season!

Has your son tried stem cell or PRP injections or just physical therapy and rest?

There’s a few of us with sons who definitively had labrum tears who did injections instead of surgery. They recovered much faster. My RHP son was throwing again in 6 weeks following injections and six weeks of PT. 

Our experience was so positive I’m going down that path too. I have a SLAP tear and will be doing injections in January. 

Sorry to hear.  There are a TON of threads you can search here on labrum injury and surgery.  A few common observations are that almost all lose time to "rest and rehab" efforts and it is imperative that he sticks to the PT and not rush the return.  I have seen too many try to do things too early and either develop bad mechanics or prevent full healing.

Being straight up - It is good to have goals but I would caution against trying to schedule things tightly against the projected return date.  Everyone responds and heals differently and there are so many severity variances.  Some make full recovery and some never come back quite the same.  I think he has to work really hard toward the former but also have a backup plan for the latter.  As he starts progressing and reaching specific landmarks toward the end of the healing process, then you and he can start thinking about next steps.

Our experience is that he should stay in touch with those who made offers as those are the most likely to bring him in once healed, albeit with less or no money at least for year 1.  Realistically, he may likely be "off the market" for too long to garner new interest.

Hoping for full healing!

Sorry to hear about your sons injury.  My son also tore his labrum but in his non throwing arm.  Its quite a recovery process.  There is a good post by Tequilla about labrum surgery, give it a read, he details the process well.

Also, for post surgery...make sure you get the ice machine!!  Its not always given or sometimes its an option you need to purchase.  I cant recommend this enough.  Its critical for post surgery comfort and will enable your son to take less meds. 

Branson Baseball posted:

Has your son tried stem cell or PRP injections or just physical therapy and rest?

There’s a few of us with sons who definitively had labrum tears who did injections instead of surgery. They recovered much faster. My RHP son was throwing again in 6 weeks following injections and six weeks of PT. 

Our experience was so positive I’m going down that path too. I have a SLAP tear and will be doing injections in January. 

No, just did R & R. They didn’t present PRP as an option but we are not familiar with that but will ask. Being treated by Doc in Fort Worth who handles a lot of throwing injuries. 

Dallas2020 posted:
Branson Baseball posted:

No, just did R & R. They didn’t present PRP as an option but we are not familiar with that but will ask. Being treated by Doc in Fort Worth who handles a lot of throwing injuries. 

PRP's would be in conjunction with stem cell injection(s). Son had a prp, stem cell, followed by another prp over the course of 6-8 weeks.  Dr James Andrews performed procedures in 2015. Sons' shoulder has been perfect 4 yrs now. 

is Meister your Surgeon? or Conway?Both excellent.

However, if it's possible to NOT go under a knife, it would be better for your son. Recovery would be 6-8mo, no post-op drugs, newest methodology, & gaining acceptance within pro ranks.

Last edited by baseballmom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.