Skip to main content

What a year 2020 has been: school seasons canceled, extended dead periods, unlimited rosters...on and on and on.  And after feeling more soreness than usual after his last tournament, my 2022 discovered today that he has a partial UCL tear and a stress fracture of his ulna.  Though we still need to do an ultrasound to see if non-reconstructive recovery is an option, the boy is devastated and doesn't know what to do.  Trying to focus on the positive and stress all of the things we normally stress (academics, getting faster, getting his lower half stronger, etc), but boy is this a kick in the pants.  Tough as a parent to see your kids go through something like this.  Anyway, prayers up for a complete recovery!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@chazball posted:

What a year 2020 has been: school seasons canceled, extended dead periods, unlimited rosters...on and on and on.  And after feeling more soreness than usual after his last tournament, my 2022 discovered today that he has a partial UCL tear and a stress fracture of his ulna.  Though we still need to do an ultrasound to see if non-reconstructive recovery is an option, the boy is devastated and doesn't know what to do.  Trying to focus on the positive and stress all of the things we normally stress (academics, getting faster, getting his lower half stronger, etc), but boy is this a kick in the pants.  Tough as a parent to see your kids go through something like this.  Anyway, prayers up for a complete recovery!

Prayers for your son that he’ll have a complete recovery and that he’ll be even better than before.

Here’s where your son is going to find out how mentally tough he is and how badly he wants it. It’s normal to be disappointed. He has to keep the rest of his body in shape.  Then work hard on recovery when allowed.

My son got injured in the first game of his post junior summer. He was expecting offers in June. With hard work it all worked out the summer after his senior year.

The walls weren’t put here to keep us out. The walls were out there to see how badly we want in.

Good luck.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

Here’s where your son is going to find out how mentally tough he is and how badly he wants it. It’s normal to be disappointed. He has to keep the rest of his body in shape.  Then work hard on recovery when allowed.

My son got injured in the first game of his post junior summer. He was expecting offers in June. With hard work it all worked out the summer after his senior year.

The walls weren’t put here to keep us out. The walls were out there to see how badly we want in.

Good luck.

We sat down and had that talk this evening.  We talked about focusing on the controllables: academics, getting faster, getting stronger, being mentally tough.  If he does those things, if he can show himself and coaches that he can do those things while he's rehabbing, then he's done all he can do to be better.  Thanks for your post and the story of your son's journey, I am going to use it.

Sorry to hear about this. I hate to hear about kids getting injured. There are only so many games they are going to get to play and I hate to see any of them miss significant time.

Did he do anything different in his training, arm care, or pitch counts that could have caused the injury?

Thanks.  As you can imagine, speculation is running rampant at our house and with his coaches right now.  Nothing different in his training, though we suspect that the stop/start nature of the school season and travel season may have been a factor.  His innings and pitch counts were down this year, so that's not likely it.  He was throwing much harder this year than last, did that have anything to do with it?  We don't know.  Given that this is his junior year and that he has been talking to a number of coaches, he's rightly concerned with his recruiting.  We're trying to stay positive, focus on what we can control at this point (attitude is number one), and I guess we'll face the rest when we get the final recommendation from his doctors.  Dad is taking this as hard as Chazson, but he's keeping a very brave face.

Don't feel bad @chazball, same boat different part of the body for my 2022 OF.

2 weeks ago (just before 1st  trip to WWBA) son "tweeked" his knee in fall ball at school.  Went to Ft. Myers and played OF, hit and pitched 2 innings in 1st game.  In 2nd game, 2nd inning fielding ball down the LF line, knee gives out.  Sits out rest of tournament except consolation game (rips a double that he hobbled into a single to LC), as he wanted 1 more AB and promised he wouldn't run. 

Get home and have Dr. appt. Tuesday morning.  Tore ACL, out until end of May.  Hopefully be ready by summer ball.  All the schools that have been in contact have reached out (amazing how quickly word travels, and not through us) and said "rehab, and come back better".  But still scary. 

Looking at is as a road bump as opposed to a dead end.

"if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and if everyone was doing it, it wouldn't be worth doing".

Don't feel bad @chazball, same boat different part of the body for my 2022 OF.

2 weeks ago (just before 1st  trip to WWBA) son "tweeked" his knee in fall ball at school.  Went to Ft. Myers and played OF, hit and pitched 2 innings in 1st game.  In 2nd game, 2nd inning fielding ball down the LF line, knee gives out.  Sits out rest of tournament except consolation game (rips a double that he hobbled into a single to LC), as he wanted 1 more AB and promised he wouldn't run.

Get home and have Dr. appt. Tuesday morning.  Tore ACL, out until end of May.  Hopefully be ready by summer ball.  All the schools that have been in contact have reached out (amazing how quickly word travels, and not through us) and said "rehab, and come back better".  But still scary.

Looking at is as a road bump as opposed to a dead end.

"if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and if everyone was doing it, it wouldn't be worth doing".

Russ, thanks for the perspective and I pray and hope for a speedy recovery for RussSon this year.  Encouraging to hear that some of the coaches are understanding and obviously your son has made an impression on them.  Good luck and I am hopeful that both of these baseball stories have a happy ending.

sorry to Russ and Chaz...college son had a tear discovered right before the 2020 season started, had REPAIR surgery not reconstruction in beginning of March.  He is a LHP and was throwing harder than ever when pitchers and catchers reported back to school and was poised hopefully to have a big role.  He had his surgery, and that same day we went to a game and when we walked into the stadium the team went crazy in the dugout when they saw him,  whooping and cheering for him.  He was still pretty loopy.  It hit me, that no matter what happens, the guys on the team have his back and will be his brothers for life.  Then a week later, everyone's season was cancelled and everyone got eligibility back too. 

He was worked his a$$ off and has been feeling good, throwing off a mound a few weeks ago.  Still not 100% but he said to me last night, "I'm not done with baseball yet."  Hoping they have a spring season.

If you have any questions about repair surgery please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks wildcat!  My senior lefty remains hopeful for some sort of spring season, and in fact threw a bullpen yesterday.  He liked where he was in the zone, but said the velo is not yet back to where it was.  His slider looked nasty on the video he made and shared with me!

Most importantly his arm feel the best it has in years.

Last edited by Twoboys

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.