Skip to main content

Good morning all!  My 2020 has not caught a break for a few years and it's JUST about put him outta baseball.  Quick rundown of past few years... I've now started and deleted several mini-novels--trying to keep the post to the bare minimum of facts, but there IS a lot he's gone through.  I think I will shift to just bullet points and see how that works out...  

-Multi-Sport athlete, played Rec-Ball through 14U. -Decided baseball was his passion going into freshman year of HS.  -Attended one of largest HS in state w/very competitive baseball program. -Made freshman team, starting RF had good season. -Had high hopes for 15U travel team (had Rawlings in the name), but VERY little playing time (despite him being in top 3 on team for winter skills competition for 60 time, EV and pitching velocity. -Started complaining of shoulder pain. -Months of mis-diagnoses, several stints and months of PT with no affect, finally had labrum surgery for SLAP tear after insisting on an arthrogram.  -Missed entire sophomore season.  -Was encouraged by HS hitting coach to transfer to another school if he wanted to continue playing baseball in HS(basically told him virtually no chance he'd play after missing a whole season--may be true too since the school is very competitive.)  -Son decided he wanted to transfer schools (His original school was a 6A school, new school is 3A, good baseball program and they graduated a LOT of senior players this past year)  -Did get to DH and some limited PT on summer team. -Summer team was NOT good at all, but we were thankful a team did pick him up knowing his injury. -Tried out for his 3 top choice teams for his 17U season, shoulder far from 100%, he did not get any offers (other than his previous summer team) -Son at this point became very discouraged, started talking about being done with baseball completely.  -He played on a fall ball team, more of a rec-league feel, but he had fun and played well.  -Fall workouts for his new HS team went well, made a lot of new friends on the team.  -Son very happy at new HS.  -Son was fully cleared by our Ortho Doc.  -Throwing is now pain free, but still needing to build strength.  

That is basically where we are today.  As for measurables, two years ago, (which is last time my son did measurables) his 60 time was 7.3 range, EV was 85 and outfield throw was 79.  Since then he's grown to 6'3" and now weighs a very lean 180# and still filling out.  He's MUCH stronger and I'm sure faster now.  He's a very good student with unweighted GPA around 3.7 and I am projecting his ACT score will be 30 plus(based on his older sister's 30 ACT score, he's a little smarter-I NEVER SAID THAT!) 

FINALLY my questions.  I'm hopeful  he will have a good Junior HS season and find his passion for the game again.  If he does, is there still time for him recruiting wise?  What strategies would you suggest given the compressed timeline he will be facing and the fact he will not be playing summer baseball?  A final caveat is that his mother is a university employee at a tuition exchange school.  There are 677 participating schools nationwide where my son would receive full tuition if he is accepted.  These schools run the gamut from D1 powerhouse schools to D2, D3 and NAIA.  I have to think that this fact would work to his advantage in terms of recruiting...   

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First off, sorry to hear about your son’s injury and glad to hear he finally got a correct diagnosis and has recovered. Yes, there is still time.

Free tuition is great - if the kid can play at that level. Don’t think for a second that a college coach at any level is going to take a lesser player just based on the fact that they come at less cost. More to the point, you want your kid to be “a counter” if at all possible. If the school has a financial interest in the player (scholarship $) then that is the best scenario to make a spring roster. Knowing that a player comes with no cost may help in some programs, but it also means they aren’t going to offer as much (if any) scholarship $ either. It’s a catch 22.

Without knowing your son’s current measurables, it’s hard to say what his chances are. There are a metric ton of 2020 who aren’t committed yet who will play college ball at every level, so I don’t think you are too late. His grades are good, not great, and that will probably exclude the Ivy and Patriot league schools.  Lots of schools don’t even recruit their classes until the players’ rising senior summer, so get strong and get on their radars now. Start communicating.

you are in a great position to get your kid thru college at no real cost (housing and meals, personal expenses excluded). That is like hitting the lottery! Hope baseball works out for him as well.

CTbballDad posted:

There is absolutely plenty of time, as only P5 have really recruited for 2020 and the summer of rising senior year is the time.  But, I didn't catch why he won't be playing travel ball, as that will hurt him.  Surely, there's a team he can play for, no?

It was just a matter of being discouraged at not being able to perform at 100% for the teams he wanted to play for and not wanting to return to his prior team that would not be playing in the tournaments where he might be seen.  In all honesty, my son't love of playing the game may be coming to an end--this Spring's HS season will no doubt be the deciding time.  If he finds that he loves it again, and he plays well I'm sure he can either find a team that needs one more player or he can find some opportunities as a sub throughout the season.

BBMomAZ posted:

I think there is plenty of time, but I would get some updated measurables prior to high school season. Maybe find a local winter event that could give him a baseline?

I have suggested the same to my son, but at this point he's lukewarm towards baseball, so no true motivation to workout hard for a showcase.  He doesn't want to showcase until he is in shape and knows he can put up good numbers.  He's agreed that if this HS season goes well, he will showcase in the summer following the season.  

I would say there is plenty of time. My son is 10 weeks post-op from surgery for a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. He's a 2019 and we have nowhere near given up hope, and won't until it becomes clear that rehab won't result in a return to form.

My recommendation would be for your son to work hard to get in the best shape he can, especially with strength and conditioning, over the winter. If he works with private instructors on baseball-specific stuff, then all the better....continue that. Find a good throwing program to get his arm in shape for spring, and get some measurables at that time. Make a plan of events through the summer where he can be exposed to coaches from the schools he's interested in, whether that be through tournament play, showcases/camps, or a little of both. In the mean time, he should be reaching out to these same coaches and letting them know his level of interest and schedule. You've probably read all of this out here before but just showing up and hoping he gets noticed has not been a historically reliable method so I would emphasize getting some dialog going with coaches of interest prior to the events. If you can manage some video that would be good to add to an email and/or recruiting page. These guys are ultimately going to need to see him play but you've got a good window still left for that. Best of luck!

** Edited to say take this with a grain of salt as my son has yet to be offered anything so my plan might not be all that effective!

Last edited by tequila

Good luck this spring and with a full recovery.  I just want to add that in no way does a 3.7 gpa and a 30+ ACT score exclude Ivy and or Patriot possibilities!  Yale baseball players have an average 31 ACT.  This means some boys are lower!  He is within an acceptable range for sure, but will depend on his athletic ability.  More stud = will go a little lower on academics.  Ivies (and NESCACs too for D3) have to balance their class.  I wanted to correct that in this thread someone does not assume that they are out of the running for high academic D1 and D3 schools, especially since you say 30+ and have no specific number yet.  

There is time. Let him play high school, get some updated measurables. Buy a pocket radar and get his velocity/exit velocity. If his numbers are good, contact some teams and let them know he was injured but this is where he's at now. 

However if travel teams aren't interested and he's only lukewarm about baseball, might be time to stick to local rec/travel ball and apply to colleges as a regular student

Ps. Those grades are definitely good enough for Patriot League schools without baseball. Ivy might be a stretch but he's fine 

Last edited by PABaseball
BBMomAZ posted:

I think the challenge is not knowing where he stands because then he won't know what he's working toward. If he doesn't want to do a full showcase, is there a local training facility where you could pay to get some of these measurables for your own use?

Agree completely, just not sure when my son's passion might start to return again...  For year's he's always pulled me out to the fields whenever possible to hit flyballs and throw him BP, or he's outside setting up a net and hitting off the tee...  Those things are not happening right now.  I have decided to take a wait and hope approach.  Let him take whatever time off he needs and hope that when his winter workouts start for HS ball he catches the desire again to see where he can take his game.  He is at least still looking forward to this HS season to see how things go.

tequila posted:

** Edited to say take this with a grain of salt as my son has yet to be offered anything so my plan might not be all that effective!

Hi Tequila, I think we've shared a few PM's.  I know I have followed your son's progress, seeing as how we share the same setback.   I am REALLY pulling for you and your son and hope he finds a great fit where he can continue playing!  Appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by DALEX
DALEX posted:
tequila posted:

Hi Tequila, I think we've shared a few PM's.  I know I have followed your son's progress, seeing as how we share the same setback.   I am REALLY pulling for you and your son and hope he finds a great fit where he can continue playing!  Appreciate your feedback.

You're right, we sure have and I've appreciated your input. Thanks again and best to you guys as well!

DALEX posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

I think the challenge is not knowing where he stands because then he won't know what he's working toward. If he doesn't want to do a full showcase, is there a local training facility where you could pay to get some of these measurables for your own use?

Agree completely, just not sure when my son's passion might start to return again...  For year's he's always pulled me out to the fields whenever possible to hit flyballs and throw him BP, or he's outside setting up a net and hitting off the tee...  Those things are not happening right now.  I have decided to take a wait and hope approach.  Let him take whatever time off he needs and hope that when his winter workouts start for HS ball he catches the desire again to see where he can take his game.  He is at least still looking forward to this HS season to see how things go.

Best of luck! I hope he has a successful school season and finds his passion again. There may also be opportunities for him to play club ball in college.

There is plenty of time, but only if he really works at it.  By that I mean he needs to bust his butt working out, getting stronger, faster etc and let the chips fall where they may.  Has he reached out to coaches in all divisions including JUCO?  Has he said he wants to play in college?  I believe that if a kid really wants to play, he will find a way.  He would also need to be realistic in his ability and where he could possibly play.  It is most likely a little late for P5 D1 schools, but there are so many other schools where he could play, plus with his grades, that will open some options.  My suggestion would be for you to sit down with him and tell him to work like he has never worked before and have no regrets looking back wondering what if.   Dont let him use the injury as an excuse.  There are many posters on here who's son's went thru similar and came out stronger on the other side.  Best of luck to him moving forward and please keep us posted on his progress 

Yes there is still time if the desire is there. Son had similar story, missed entire junior year of HS with shoulder injury. I would recommend Stanford and Headfirst since he sounds like a bright kid. Son was offered fall of senior year after attending Stanford camp in the summer. He even had coaches calling him after his senior HS season asking if he had committed. So there is time!

FriarFred posted:

There is plenty of time, but only if he really works at it.  By that I mean he needs to bust his butt working out, getting stronger, faster etc and let the chips fall where they may.  Has he reached out to coaches in all divisions including JUCO?  Has he said he wants to play in college?  I believe that if a kid really wants to play, he will find a way.  He would also need to be realistic in his ability and where he could possibly play.  It is most likely a little late for P5 D1 schools, but there are so many other schools where he could play, plus with his grades, that will open some options.  My suggestion would be for you to sit down with him and tell him to work like he has never worked before and have no regrets looking back wondering what if.   Dont let him use the injury as an excuse.  There are many posters on here who's son's went thru similar and came out stronger on the other side.  Best of luck to him moving forward and please keep us posted on his progress 

Thanks for the input FriarFred.  It's just a tough spot right now for him and for me.   Prior to the injury he absolutely, without question wanted to play college baseball.  Now after dealing with the injury, recovery and results(missed soph season, school transfer, NOT making any of his travel teams of choice) he is understandably discouraged.  I have had the sit down discussion with him, and the results were that he's just not sure if he wants to play beyond high school.  It really comes down to this coming Spring season and how things go, but without his prior passion it's all a mute point.

Twoboys posted:

Good luck this spring and with a full recovery.  I just want to add that in no way does a 3.7 gpa and a 30+ ACT score exclude Ivy and or Patriot possibilities!  Yale baseball players have an average 31 ACT.  This means some boys are lower!  He is within an acceptable range for sure, but will depend on his athletic ability.  More stud = will go a little lower on academics.  Ivies (and NESCACs too for D3) have to balance their class.  I wanted to correct that in this thread someone does not assume that they are out of the running for high academic D1 and D3 schools, especially since you say 30+ and have no specific number yet.  

I know this isn't going to be a popular position, but good luck getting into an Ivy or Patriot League school with that as a guy who isn’t even sure he can play. Scores at the bottom end of the spectrum are going to require coach support thru admissions, meaning they are a “dude” they want to have. That doesn’t sound like the scenario here. Being honest with chances and realistic are going to serve this player better than pie-in-the-sky dreams, which is why a lot of kids don’t achieve their college athletic dreams, because they are fishing in the wrong pond.

Last edited by GaryMe
DALEX posted:
CTbballDad posted:

There is absolutely plenty of time, as only P5 have really recruited for 2020 and the summer of rising senior year is the time.  But, I didn't catch why he won't be playing travel ball, as that will hurt him.  Surely, there's a team he can play for, no?

It was just a matter of being discouraged at not being able to perform at 100% for the teams he wanted to play for and not wanting to return to his prior team that would not be playing in the tournaments where he might be seen.  In all honesty, my son't love of playing the game may be coming to an end--this Spring's HS season will no doubt be the deciding time.  If he finds that he loves it again, and he plays well I'm sure he can either find a team that needs one more player or he can find some opportunities as a sub throughout the season.

Per bolded above, I think you've already got it figured out and maybe just need some confirmation. Confirmed .  For now, just let him focus on that and see how it goes.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.