Skip to main content

For those familiar with the Carpenter Cup:

"Jersey Shore had to withdraw from the 2021 Carpenter Cup based upon the number of players unavailable due to state tournaments. "

Is it just me or is this a mile high pile of steaming dung?

There's like 40+ teams in  the Shore Conference and most have been eliminated from the State Tournament.

Why don't you just say what you mean: The 5 players we really wanted aren't available and we're too lazy to have it for any kids who are not that top five.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It’s too bad they have this attitude. The Cup is a lot of fun. Teams that make the semis play in Citizens. My son considered that a thrill.

More importantly, it’s draws a lot of college coaches from Maryland to Northern New Jersey at all levels. It doesn’t matter for the seniors. But it does for the juniors and sophs who make it.

For those who might be wondering what Carpenter Cup is ... The Carpenter family used to own the Phillies. They sponsored a tournament of all the leagues in the metro Philadelphia area on the PA and NJ sides. Typically each conference team is made up of the players who are first and second team all conference.

At one point the tournament was for prospects. Committed players couldn’t compete. Just before my son got to high school it was changed to all players. The tournament became more about our conference is better than yours than prospects.

My belief is if it’s conferences pitted against each other it should be about the best players from each conference.

Last edited by RJM

For sure there are some strong teams in the Shore Conference still playing in the State Tournament. But there are many more teams already eliminated with very good players on them.

"Jersey Shore had to withdraw from the 2021 Carpenter Cup based upon the number of players unavailable due to state tournaments. "

Again, that's lazy, weak and a lie.

Fran ... When I saw the 80 pitchers comment I was skeptical. Then I looked up the conference to see how many teams are in it (30). It’s bigger than the Suburban Conference in Montgomery and Bucks Counties. Is the Jersey Shore Conference broken into multiple divisions like the Suburban (3)?

@RJM posted:

Fran ... When I saw the 80 pitchers comment I was skeptical. Then I looked up the conference to see how many teams are in it (30). It’s bigger than the Suburban Conference in Montgomery and Bucks Counties. Is the Jersey Shore Conference broken into multiple divisions like the Suburban (3)?

It's broken up into 6 groups:

https://highschoolsports.nj.co...021?conference=Shore

Maybe 80 was too high? Some of the teams are pretty bad. Perhaps the number of really good pitchers is closer to 50? Still enough to find some arms for this thing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.