Skip to main content

Son is trying to figure out collegiate summer options and not having much luck. His pitching coach had a stroke and did not place any of the kids. Many are scrambling. On top of the hundreds of additional kids playing at the collegiate level this year the five Canadian teams in the WCL have canceled their 2021 seasons. Does anyone know if additional leagues are being added? Are there any showcases that a college pitcher could attend to get some innings? DR? Mexico?

Son is a low 90’s LHP up to 95 in the fall. Good curve ball. Has developed a good changeup but has yet to use it in games. Had a strained lat that caused him to miss much of this season but is 100% now.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the common sense reply. This will be sons first summer dealing with this. I don't know if placing kids for summer has crossed head coaches mind. I have alot of sympathy for the kids dealing with so much confusion caused by COVID and the reduced draft. I also have sympathy for the coaches dealing with new roster management issues and repeated COVID changes along with all the normal duties of trying to make a successful season, but it sounds like my son may need to ask the coach.

@LHP's Roady posted:

Son is trying to figure out collegiate summer options and not having much luck. His pitching coach had a stroke and did not place any of the kids. Many are scrambling. On top of the hundreds of additional kids playing at the collegiate level this year the five Canadian teams in the WCL have canceled their 2021 seasons. Does anyone know if additional leagues are being added? Are there any showcases that a college pitcher could attend to get some innings? DR? Mexico?

Son is a low 90’s LHP up to 95 in the fall. Good curve ball. Has developed a good changeup but has yet to use it in games. Had a strained lat that caused him to miss much of this season but is 100% now.

Everyone is looking for pitchers.  Send an email to the leagues you are interested in and he will find a spot somewhere.  He needs to get on it though. 

I'm sure I've read on here (but I couldn't find the threads) that it's better for your son's coach to arrange this, because he can identify an appropriate level and communicate about innings, also that a summer team is going to check with the college coach anyway, so he needs to be in the loop.  Maybe @hokieone or someone with experience can comment on this?

I'm sure I've read on here (but I couldn't find the threads) that it's better for your son's coach to arrange this, because he can identify an appropriate level and communicate about innings, also that a summer team is going to check with the college coach anyway, so he needs to be in the loop.  Maybe @hokieone or someone with experience can comment on this?

Our coach had the players do the legwork and then the coaches and player picked the best spot based on the players options.  I can tell you from my son's experience that a coach isn't needed to get offers from the good Summer leagues.

If he doesn't get placed right away, search again mid-summer.  There is a TON of turnover on teams.  Some players are on pitch counts, then go home.  Some just go home early (homesickness).  Some need to take the last summer session of summer school.  Some get injured.   I have never seen so much roster change than on a summer collegiate team!

Last edited by keewart

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.