Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

LHP's Roady posted:

Son was projected to go mid to late rounds this year. Fall back was a top 10 school that is now overloaded. Dad is thinking a year at a top D2 that is paying all the bills might be nice. Goal is to go next year in early rounds. Will going D2 hurt him?

Is you son coming from Juco program.

LHP's Roady posted:

Son was projected to go mid to late rounds this year. Fall back was a top 10 school that is now overloaded. Dad is thinking a year at a top D2 that is paying all the bills might be nice. Goal is to go next year in early rounds. Will going D2 hurt him?

Most D2s are not fully funded, and even if they are they only get 9 scholarships. Chances of getting “all the bills paid” isn’t very realistic. If your son is a 2020 HS grad I would look for a top JuCo program in your area. 

At this point in time, I would not think about the draft, this year or next unless he gets something as well school paid for.  If you think that D1 has a lot of guys, professional ball is worse.

As a player coming from JUCO, I believe after the transfer to any 4 year he can ask for a reclassification. That would make him a sophmore. Is the D2 willing to cover everything for at least 2 years?  As far as the D1, if he has signed an NLI for 2 years and can get hitters out, go. 

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:

At this point in time, I would not think about the draft, this year or next unless he signed as a FA.

As a player coming from JUCO, I believe after the transfer to any 4 year he can ask for a reclassification. That would make him a sophmore. Is the D2 willing to cover everything for at least 2 years?

We are researching the free agent stuff, A lot of variables right now. He would be petitioning to be a freshman transfer (was out due to TJ surgery). Since he just turned 21 waiting 2 more years may be out of the question. Are you thinking next years draft is going to be a mess too?

True about waiting too long. He basically hasn't played much to prove himself, one year of D1 or D2 may help next year.

As far as the draft, I don't know. It could go either way, but I think the days of a lot of rounds may beover, especially if they cut out teams. I know someone who is a possible 1st, early 2nd round. He has met with every team, I think that if your son has met with teams, maybe a possibility.

What does your son want to do?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.