Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

More likely just that bad. We have a few districts that for a host of reasons, just don't have the baseball kids. Mix-in hybrid and/or remote learning due to covid this year and who knows how bad it could be?

This may require it's own thread, but I know a few kids struggling with HS grades that in normal years would be doing just fine. This is especially true with remote learning, but even hybrid requires a lot of self discipline for a young teenage kid.

More likely just that bad. We have a few districts that for a host of reasons, just don't have the baseball kids. Mix-in hybrid and/or remote learning due to covid this year and who knows how bad it could be?

This may require it's own thread, but I know a few kids struggling with HS grades that in normal years would be doing just fine. This is especially true with remote learning, but even hybrid requires a lot of self discipline for a young teenage kid.

The more difficult situation (not to get too aside) are the remote learners who are really struggling, despite the fact that the class is 100% in person.  My wife has a kid, who's mother is a teacher as well, so she isn't home (and father doesn't participate in the student's academics in any way).  It is very difficult when she can't give the student the same time she gives her others.

Back to the topic, we had our second scrimmage well ahead of when we were supposed to.  Weather is about to get verrrrry bad.

I am a middle school teacher and I have a lot of virtual students who struggle with the discipline needed to do the work.  I feel like most of the conversations I have with parents include some form of "you child does good work, when they do it." 

And yea I imagine there are a lot of districts or regions out there that are capable of producing a lot of mismatches on the baseball field.  If we are ever able to get on the field this year we will likely have some games where we will get beat by 15 runs only to turn around and beat the next team by 15.  6 teams in our region 2 of which really seem to invest in their baseball program, 2 of which I am honestly surprised they field baseball teams, 1 I honestly have no clue about (won't be surprised if they end up not playing at all after not having football or basketball), and then us.

The kid has his first meeting yesterday. Over 70 kids trying out for V. They plan on some indoor activity in March with tryouts in April with a season start in late April.  A lot of kids are getting their work in through their travel program. There is enough talent but will the team have enough time to gel with such a late start. The other HS have been practicing for 2 months.

2nd game last night. The boys beat a slightly more competitive team 16-1. This team at least made defensive plays and didn’t walk many kids. The one run came on a bunt to third with a runner on first. Runner never stopped at second. The 3b and P were a mess getting back to cover and the throw went wild. Funny thing is my son asked the coach if he (C) can cover 3b on that play like his travel team does. He said no.

Today our county FINALLY posted numbers that would allow baseball games in CA.  If numbers stay like this we will finally be able to play games for first time in 11months!  HS season is scheduled to start March 19th. (almost exactly a year after we shut down) I think we just might make it.  Coach must too. Practices have been steadily getting longer each day.  I can't wait!  One thing we seen through this.  There are the kids that enjoy the grind and the kids that need the game.  I'm lucky Lefty is the first.  

Wow, just saw a team in our district only has 10 players on varsity. They usually field a competitive team and occasionally a very good team. It’s a small prep school that cancelled sports back in August before school even started. Their best players transferred out. They decided a couple months ago they would do spring sports. No idea how you can play two and sometimes three games a week with a very average group of 10 kids

My '22's private school league is tentatively moving forward with a season, that will likely be abbreviated since the public school league has not agreed to play.  Practice starts Monday.

Meanwhile his travel team managed to play a game today and won something like 13-5.  He pitched one inning with marginal control.  Fortunately he managed to hold the other team scoreless even though it went like this: BB, single, F-7, BB, K looking, 6-4.

Whew.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.