Skip to main content

@JohnF posted:

For the Sox - the postseason was a microcosm of their season - did really well at the start, held on for a few miles, but in the end too inconsistent with hitting, pitching, and defense.  Kudos to the Astros and their pitchers for being able to make their adjustments.

Bingo.  100%.  Red Sox were red hot, then they weren't.  Astros adjusted to the Red Sox and the Red Sox failed to make further adjustments to the Astros.   That is sports and life.  The better team won.

The NL series has been entertaining as well.  A great contrast of acquired talent versus developed talent.  I'm not a fan or follower of either team, but I think I've just become a Braves fan for the next few weeks.   Originally, the Braves were founded in Boston before moving to Milwaukee then Atlanta during expansion in the 1960s.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it....plus I despise the Astros. 

I'm jumping on the Braves bandwagon.

PS.....There will be no tomahawk chop or the annoying sound that comes with it.

Boston Braves – Sports Ecyclopedia

@PTWood posted:

That’s where our household has landed as well. Pulling for Dusty at this point.

Would like dusty to win one too.

Hiring dusty was a genius move by the astros owner.

Astros had this image of those math nerds finding out evil cheating methods in their analytics department and now with dusty all the old Sabermetrics hating old school guys have someone to root for with old dusty.

Of course dusty mostly did comply with the analytics staff in Houston but he still transports that old school throwback image and helped repairing the astros reputation as the astros cheating and astros analytics prowess were always lumped together and the old school stuff comes across as more clean (although it probably isn't true - even before analytics guys tried to get an advantage)

@PTWood posted:

That’s where our household has landed as well. Pulling for Dusty at this point.

When he was with the Cubs the expression was "In Dusty We Trust." Interesting that Grienke was pulled after 30 some pitches, when Cubs pitchers Mark Prior and Kerry Wood piled up pitch counts which Dusty was later criticized. I think he was what the Astros neded. By the way, I am waiting for my 1971 Topps Don Baylor and Tom Paciorek rookie card to come back from PSA card grading company (been there almost 9 months). Oh, yeah there is a third player on the card.

1971 TOPPS 1971 ROOKIE STARS OUTFIELDERS #709 SHORT PRINT EX-MT+ BAYLOR BAKER | eBay

After watching the top of the 4th here, I cannot wait for the shift to go the way of the dodo.

For the casual fan, there is nothing more infuriating that seeing a ball punch straight through a hole where that fan knows a player should be. And as a more than casual fan like myself, it’s still a cause for groans and eye rolling.

Put it this way: never have I ever, when watching a game, heard someone scream “Why aren’t we doing a shift?!?!?!”

/rant

@Senna posted:

After watching the top of the 4th here, I cannot wait for the shift to go the way of the dodo.

For the casual fan, there is nothing more infuriating that seeing a ball punch straight through a hole where that fan knows a player should be. And as a more than casual fan like myself, it’s still a cause for groans and eye rolling.

Put it this way: never have I ever, when watching a game, heard someone scream “Why aren’t we doing a shift?!?!?!”

/rant

Shifts just look odd. It’s still four infielders covering the same amount of ground. They’re playing the odds/historical data the analytics provide. What bothers me is seeing a drive to right in the air fielded by a second baseman twenty, thirty feet into right field, then throwing out the hitter.

@RJM posted:

Shifts just look odd. It’s still four infielders covering the same amount of ground. They’re playing the odds/historical data the analytics provide. What bothers me is seeing a drive to right in the air fielded by a second baseman twenty, thirty feet into right field, then throwing out the hitter.

I completely understand why the shift is being used. But again, it is infuriating to watch.

If MLB wants to improve watchability/enjoyment of the game AND increase OBA, that's a quick fix. Two infielders, no more no less, between 1B and 2B, and the same between 2B and 3B. I think this will be one of the items that comes out of the new CBA.

@Senna posted:

I completely understand why the shift is being used. But again, it is infuriating to watch.

If MLB wants to improve watchability/enjoyment of the game AND increase OBA, that's a quick fix. Two infielders, no more no less, between 1B and 2B, and the same between 2B and 3B. I think this will be one of the items that comes out of the new CBA.

No, we don’t need rules.  The game will find equilibrium as Paula indicated. Hitters started by bunting to beat the shift and now we are seeing pull side dominant hitters taking balls the other way in critical situations. The pendulum will swing back to valuing guys that can hit to all fields and those that can’t adjust will be replaced.  This is the beauty of the game.

Braves fan here as well, and also an Astros fan from childhood (RIP JR Richard).

Pulling for the Braves, but have no beef with this Astros team. Only 4 players remain from the 2017 team, and we have no evidence if anyone other than Correa was an active & willing participant. Brantley, Tucker, Dusty, and the rest have nothing to do with it.

So I'm here for the drama on the field, not 2017 rehashing. Fine with people booing the remaining 4 if they want (and Crane as well), but the rest of the team doesn't deserve the vitriol.

Good luck to both, but Braves in 6....

Last edited by Senna

I like Dusty Baker.  I like the Braves.  I can't stand Joe Buck, though.

Had the idea I would listen on the radio online, while watching the broadcast.  ESPNradio was 5 minutes behind.  Braves radio was about 2 minutes ahead.  So, I'm back to Joe's portentious "strike two."

I can’t stomach Bill Walton. When he does UCLA basketball games on ESPN or PAC12 Network I synch up with the local KLAC UCLA broadcast.

You can pause the game on tv. If you pick up the radio broadcast on streaming you can pause. It’s not hard to synch them up.

@Senna posted:

Braves fan here as well, and also an Astros fan from childhood (RIP JR Richard).

Pulling for the Braves, but have no beef with this Astros team. Only 4 players remain from the 2017 team, and we have no evidence if anyone other than Correa was an active & willing participant. Brantley, Tucker, Dusty, and the rest have nothing to do with it.

So I'm here for the drama on the field, not 2017 rehashing. Fine with people booing the remaining 4 if they want (and Crane as well), but the rest of the team doesn't deserve the vitriol.

Good luck to both, but Braves in 6....

I will hate the astros forever...I am all for stealing every sign possible within the spirit of the game. The Astros get a pass when nobody is left including the management and ownership. I am actually cheering for the Braves, a division rival who will forever be Ted and Jane's team...that should say how poorly i feel about the Astros.

@Dominik85 posted:

That is a big advantage for Houston now even though losing game one hurts, Morton will be hard to replace for the braves.

But anything can happen in such a series

Morton is a big loss, but if you're a Braves fan you have to feel good about the pitching matchup tonight, and obviously going home up 2-0 would be huge.

Best part about my team not being in the WS is I don't have to listen to Joe Buck! I wish future Series could have the home team announcers do the the home games...

I wonder if Manfred will pawn off handing the trophy to either owner? I had a laugh yesterday at the story about the irony of this WS - hand trophy to owner of team accused of cheating or hand trophy to owner of team you pulled the All Star game from...  I'm sure Roger Goodell is breathing a sigh of relief somewhere ...

@Shoveit4Ks posted:

I love listening to Smoltz, i cut Buck a break after i heard him on his book tour and realized how insecure and defeated he was, can you imagine being Jack Buck's son, going bald at an early age and being short? It doesn't mean I want to hear him being insufferable, I just focus on the game and Smotlz and tune Joey out a bit.

Joe Buck isn’t short. He’s short compared to standing next to 6’4” Troy Aikman. He’s 6’1”. I’m guessing life is ok when he gets home …

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
Last edited by RJM
@Shoveit4Ks posted:

I love listening to Smoltz, i cut Buck a break after i heard him on his book tour and realized how insecure and defeated he was, can you imagine being Jack Buck's son, going bald at an early age and being short? It doesn't mean I want to hear him being insufferable, I just focus on the game and Smotlz and tune Joey out a bit.

Exactly.  Smoltz is really, really good.  Don't even notice the other guy. 

Years ago, we had to listen to Tim McCarver.  I'll take the 2021 team 100% of the time.  Count your blessings.....

Dansby Swanson may have cost the Braves pitching staff a combined no hitter by charging out into LF on a bloop that he had no chance to catch. But in doing so caused the LF (who was the only person that could have made the play) to pull up to avoid the collision. Rosario could have made that play if Swanson stays in his lane. F’ing prima donna shortstops!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.