Skip to main content

My son is a 2022 and I am very new to the baseball recruiting process.  I was first wondering if given his current metrics if he should be trying to gain exposure at this time.  And if so, what level should he be looking, what type of events/camps, etc.

He is a RHP/3B/1B, 6'5" 185 lbs.  FB 82-84 avg, 86 max.  Also throws slider, curve & change up.

Academically he is 4.0/4.0 scale and has yet to take the ACT or SAT.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He’s probably projectable as a mid major pitcher right now. The projectability part is assuming he puts 5mph on his fast ball in the next year or so. And some bulk on his body. But he has the size college coaches love in pitchers. Does he have a personal pitching coach? Is he playing on a quality, visible travel team with other potential D1 prospects. Where do they play (tournaments)?

NoALDad posted:

My son is a 2022 and I am very new to the baseball recruiting process.  I was first wondering if given his current metrics if he should be trying to gain exposure at this time.  And if so, what level should he be looking, what type of events/camps, etc.

He is a RHP/3B/1B, 6'5" 185 lbs.  FB 82-84 avg, 86 max.  Also throws slider, curve & change up.

Agree with RJM... assuming he has some command and competitive presence, he should be actively working his recruiting plan now and this summer will be relevant for him if D1 is a target.  You came to the right place.  Be aware that you can also get any question answered on any related topic by searching threads here... not that I am discouraging asking directly as you have.

Agree with above, definitely on a mid-D1 track, also needs to pass the eye test.  Getting recruited is a part time job, so I would start making a list of potential schools (based on talent, academics, location, cost, etc), start communicating to them by sending video's and planning the camp route to help be seen.  Others will chime in about travel teams and showcases, but we didn't go that route, so cannot help there.

Some may disagree, but I also think it's time to make a decision as PO or position player.  It's very rare that he would be recruited as a 2-way.  Given his frame and measurables, I would presume he'll be pushed to a PO, so I would focus on that.  IMO, if you go to camps as a 2-way, you come across as a jack of all trades, master of none. 

That you all for the input.  I was really not sure if he we should put time into looking at D1 schools, but that appears incorrect.

To answer a few questions, he has a good frame, but is fairly immature physically at this point (just turned 16 and growth plates still wide open), but not from lack of effort.  He is hitting the weights and on a nutrition program his HS coach suggested to add weight and has put on about 15 good pounds since summer.  His coach wants him to get to around 220.

Currently he was planning to  pursue the path CTbballDad suggested of focusing on more of the camp route than travel ball.  Is that a mistake?  Also plan to attend his first PBR event at the end of spring that will be held at his school.  And to CTbballDad question, he was planning to focus on the PO path at camps, although he has above average position metrics.  The worry from a position stand point is that his height may limit opportunities, especially if he keeps growing.

Academically, he is taking ACT prep and may soon work with someone on test preparation.

To summarize suggestions, as we are in Alabama, he should be looking at the UAB, Samford, Jacksonville State, and South Alabama type schools.  He will have to incorporate that into his path this summer.

Again that you all for the input.

NoALDad posted:

Along the HA path are the Head First camps worth the investment and are kids actively signed from these events?  Thank you 

My son (2020 RHP) participated in a Head First camp during the fall of his junior year and we thought it was very well run with tons of opportunity to interact with coaches. Your son will need to be comfortable holding a conversation with a coach on the fly.  PBR will be a great first showcase option.  Your son should be playing on a competitive summer team, ideally one where the coaches have a strong network. You do want to be selective and make sure his arms gets appropriate rest, but we found that taking a three-pronged approach with show cases, camps, and travel ball was effective. 

I would not limit your son to PO at this point unless that is really what he wants. Although my son was recruited as a RHP, he attended camps as a two-way player (except Arizona Fall Classic if I remember correctly) and has continued to play multiple positions with his club team. His future college team carries a small-ish roster so they like players who can do more than one thing. 

I highly recommend taking the ACT and SAT early (end of sophomore year ideally) as we found it was an advantage in the HA recruiting process. Please feel free to PM if you have specific questions and best of luck!

Last edited by BBMomAZ

Every school will love his size, especially if he can get his weight up. 86 as a sophomore will get him some recognition, especially if his other pitches are quality pitches and he can use each as an out pitch. I know in 2019's case he was 84-88, at the time about 8 inches shorter, and he wound up with P5 offers. 

Now I'm not sure what your son is looking for. Baseball options, quality academic options, in state, out of state, etc. Of the schools you mentioned, none would be considered high academic schools. In all likelihood your sons GPA would provide him more money than a baseball scholarship would at those types of schools. There plenty of options outside Alabama. But if he wants to stay local and attend schools similar to those mentioned I would avoid Headfirst and the HA showcases. On the same note if he wants to stay in state find out who the best programs in the Alabama/Miss/NwFL/GA area are and see what they think of your son. This route is typically better than the camp route because you have other players for schools to come see, coaches talking to colleges on your behalf, and in general better teammates and competition which make you a better player. If you play your cards right it will also be significantly cheaper than hitting up 6 or 7 camps and showcases. Even if he goes to a camp and does well, they're going to want to see him again against good competition. He's going to need a team for that. It's not too late to find a team, just ask around and see what others from your area/on this board have to say. 

HA typically means lower level D1s and D3s where the education outweighs the baseball (Patriot League, some A10s, etc). These schools recruit mostly the summer heading into senior year so your son has plenty of time on that front. Schools like Vanderbilt, UNC, Duke, etc are HA schools, but baseball is a priority so they aren't lumped in. If your son wants a HA school he has a year to go. 

What PAbaseball says.

HA D1 includes Ivy League; they start recruiting in fall of junior year (or just before that).  Also schools like William and Mary.  If that's what you're looking for, he should definitely try to take the ACT now, i.e. before baseball season starts.  ACT/SAT are given on Saturdays, and depending on your baseball schedule, many in the spring will not be possible.  And in that case, yes, Headfirst this summer is a great option.  You can look at Headfirst's website and see all the schools that will be at each of their showcases; only go if there are schools of potential interest to your son.

PBR's showcases put your numbers online for the world to see, and they can also have pretty good local exposure, especially the spring events.

NoALDad posted:

Currently he was planning to  pursue the path CTbballDad suggested of focusing on more of the camp route than travel ball.  Is that a mistake?  Also plan to attend his first PBR event at the end of spring that will be held at his school.  And to CTbballDad question, he was planning to focus on the PO path at camps, although he has above average position metrics.  The worry from a position stand point is that his height may limit opportunities, especially if he keeps growing.

To summarize suggestions, as we are in Alabama, he should be looking at the UAB, Samford, Jacksonville State, and South Alabama type schools.  He will have to incorporate that into his path this summer.

Again that you all for the input.

Camps are smaller "net" reach vs Travel Ball (way "bigger Net" ) like others said to pass the eye test. Are you interested in staying within Alabama? You could find a showcase or there are some events in Hoover, that would get him a lot of exposure at a competitive event. If you go to a camp there is a limit to D1 coaches there, not so much on D2-3s, Jucos, etc. 

Definitely figure out if PO or not PO/DH or 2 way. If his ticket is his arm, then go PO and avoid potential injury.

The magic number is 90 mph. To get serious interest you have to be close or beat 90. Everyone is looking for it. Get videos of him knocking on the door and tweet. @FlatgroundApp is your friend and follow their instructions on what to inlcude, metric wise, and what you're looking for. They'll boost the hell out of your twitter reach. Same with PerfectGame. If you add that to your tweet you'll increase views and impressions. 
There is a system, a science and it works....

He's a good student so look at BookwormBall Players too. They'll retweet. MoundProspects, will too. The more people retweeting for you the better.

Get in some PSATs. They'll ask. If you're brain is sexy. Show it off!! It matters and they won't have to worry about your kid being eligible or qualifying. That's huge and not the case for all.

Better to retweet an event video (PBR, PG, FiveTool) etc. But in lieu of those, you and/or him tweeting will be good.

Being a pitcher parent.....Do you have a StalkerPro or SP2? A SP in a video leaves no doubt. A ball coach or something can be off on way or the other and the coaches/scouts won't be as interested early on. Yes, a small fortune and investment, but if it gets him noticed and on the radar, so much the better and you can sell when he goes to school. 

You have some good events in Hoover and a lot of teams traveling there to play. Shop him around to various high rated/quality programs. They're always looking for a PO to add to their arms. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ra...m/Default.aspx?R=272. Do some research and see what you can find and who's planning to attend events in your area and see if they need an extra arm.

He's got great metrics, height, size, speeds. Velocity comes with age and maturity as he gets used to and grows into his body. Putting on some weight will help his velo and help his look.  Baby face, no facial hair, and short/athletic  haircut, help too. The baseball "flow" has to go if you don't throw in the 90s. The're looking for young and looking to project. You're speed dating and everyone has a type. You're looking to appeal to the most and be popular at the dance. Crazy hair, screams look at me. 

Stack as many odds in your favor as possible. It is a GRIND and a ton of work. Thankfully you found this site early and can be prepared. I wished I had found this site, this time last year......

You'll also want a baseball profile he can share. Easy to make, include links to videos of his pitches, with velo and/or Event Awards/videos/tweets, etc. (PBR, PG, FiveTool, Showcases, etc.). 

My son was/is super quiet, so practice, practice, practice. Get him talking to adults and get comfortable with it. He responded to anyone and everyone in the beginning and talked to as many programs as possible to get comfortable. Get used to talking about good days and bad and owing both. Humble pie is a dish best served DAILY.

Get your list of schools and do your research. Get on campus and/or do virtual tours. You have to see the campus and the city in order to make a decision. Maybe that's a camp or maybe that's a drive on an off day from a regional event. You can't pick a school and make a life decision based on D1 or Baseball USA rankings or uniform color. 

Camps can be useful, but will get expensive. You will get invited to a ton. You have to pick and choose and choose wisely. 

TIming is key. Early camps might not be as ideal as later season camps when he's peaking or topping for the summer. 

I know I just "firehosed" you, but lots to look at, do, research and prepare for as you ramp up and buckle up for the crazy summer/fall that this will be.

Best of luck. This site is amazing and extremely helpful and full of great advice. Let us know how it goes. 

NoALDad posted:

Frankly, coaches will show some initial interest based on his frame.   However, serious interest is going to depend on what your son does, not what he projects.  Coaches like numbers.  Depending on what baseball skills or academic numbers your son demonstrates will determine the options available to him.  It is all about options and understanding what those options can do for your son over his college and post college career.  You want serious interest because that leads to offers.  As others have suggested take the ACT/SAT ASAP to figure where your son stands and what paths are available to him.  Examples below:

1) Door #1 - D1 Mid-Major - Coaches will be looking at mostly baseball skills.   His "hook" will be his pitching velo or his hitting skills.   Recruiting has already begun.  Coaches are building lists now.  His academic numbers may help him get a combination athletic and academic scholarship.

2) Door #2 - D1 HA - Coaches will be looking at the aforementioned SAT/ACT scores to determine if he can pass muster with Admissions.   These schools are extremely academically selective.  Your son has a 4.0 GPA, but more academic metrics are needed with these schools  Academic scholarships are rare and Cost of Attendence is based on financial need.   He'll also need a similar baseball skill level as Door #1 above.   You want to get on the coaches radar and get in front of them either through academic showcases, camps or both

3) Door #3 - D2s/D3s.  This is going to be the most diverse path.   Again, depending on his baseball skill level and SAT/ACT scores there are a number of options here.    A coaches serious interest in your son is going to be tied to either or both his baseball skills and academic performance.  Scholarship are possible with D2.   D3 are incredibly diverse and there are no athletic scholarships.

So, try to learn as much as possible about each one of these paths in the context of what your son wants.   Then devise a plan to get the necessary exposure and communication with their coaches.   Utilize all the resources you have to make those contacts including high school coaches, private coaches, Legion coaches, etc...

Recruited = passion + skill + exposure + persistence + luck

Good luck!

Other than PBR Showcases, my son's travel team played primarily tournaments on college campus' in larger metropolitan areas or PG affiliated tournaments.  Since he will be a PO in college, his travel coach would let him know the game he was pitching a week in advance.  We would email schools that he was interested in when we played withing 120 miles of that school.  Some games no one was there to watch, others we would have a handful.  If it is an option, look at the teams you are playing in pool play and try to match up against best teams with the most prospects.  If he can pitch well against another team that is heavily scouted, he may get a few calls from other schools not on your list.  

NoALDad posted:

Well thank you all for the information and guidance. Good start to the year so far.

19 IP, 2 ER, sub 1 WHIP, and about 70% strike ratio. Needs to improve K numbers, but overall doing well. I think I am going to need to invest in a radar gun to start building a video library and see what happens from there. 

NoALDad,

My two cents...Typically, high school game stats are not going to get a college coaches attention.  College coaches want to SEE your son successfully pitch against the best players.   Which is why you see alot of college coaches at national level tournaments and showcases.   They want to know your son can handle some of the best hitters (also aspiring college players) in the country not a freshmen 2nd baseman from a competing high school.  

Making or hiring a videographer to do a professional radar gun video is a great idea.   This is a good investment along with the ACT testing coach you've already mentioned.   There are a lot of video tips on this website if you go to the search function on the title bar.  You'll want to show a variety of pitches and keep it under 2 mins (rule of thumb) with as little background noise as possible.  No walk up music.

The video would go a long way to showing where your son is developmentally on the mound.  Include his frame, positions, and his academic metrics & rigor (AP classes if any).    If he does extremely well on the ACT, there is possibility that he could be recruited beyond just the local (Alabama) schools you mentioned.   These schools are looking for athletes AND academically focused kids at a national level.   Your son has potential in both areas, so just keep that in mind as your son is considering possibilities.  But he is going to have to deliver on the mound and on the ACT test.

Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.