Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It appears almost every game is on ESPN+ now except ACC games. I didn’t look to see if Big 12 games are still on FS1 and FS2. I If this continues I’ll have to get ESPN+ before the tournament starts. I watched the last couple of innings of the Georgia Tech - Wright State game. I forgot to check the Pac 12 Network. I have national, not the regionals.

Last edited by RJM

ESPN app is the best and worth the price. They don't just have their own channels but other networks as well.  I watched some of Clemson/Indiana which is on ACCN and 2 SEC+ games, on 2 devices. Conferences from different regions are there. All you need is an internet provider to stream.

Super fun beginning to the season. Lots of son’s former friends/teammates got their first college hits (Riemer at Wright State to go ahead against Miami although they gave up the lead in the next inning; Jefferson at ND), first college HRs (Hussey @WVU, White at NC State who hit 3 out!) and first saves (Mrotek and MD).  Best part was being able to watch so many of the games live!

@nycdad posted:

If you have an Apple TV (device not the service), You can watch up to 4 games at once with ESPN+.

Heading out to my son's game today in Philly. Game time temps in the 30s with wind! Lovely Northeast baseball.

I'm shocked by how many Mid-Atlantic teams have home games scheduled for this week and next.  We're expecting snow squalls with 50mph winds and whiteout conditions in CT today.  That could make for some very interesting baseball.

@JCG posted:

I'm shocked by how many Mid-Atlantic teams have home games scheduled for this week and next.  We're expecting snow squalls with 50mph winds and whiteout conditions in CT today.  That could make for some very interesting baseball.

We left CT to play in Philly. Don’t have home opener in CT until conference play starts in a few weeks.

Had a 15 minute delay today because of snow squalls. 20mph winds throughout game with gusts up to 50mph.

Thought I posted but it must not have gone through.  Son came in for last two innings in relief on Friday night.  Six up Six down 24 pitches.  Incredible to see a staff with two starters going 97/98 first weekend and 2 out hurt right now that can do the same.  Have not thrown our closer yet who was 103 this fall.  I must admit for a freshman to be pumping 97 5 innings in is incredible.  Turned down first round money to go to college so good to see him succeed.  Sophomore transfer yesterday doing the same thing against his old squad.  2-0 to start season.  6 HR's in 2 games and Drew Gilbert got another grand slam yesterday.

@PitchingFan posted:

Thought I posted but it must not have gone through.  Son came in for last two innings in relief on Friday night.  Six up Six down 24 pitches.  Incredible to see a staff with two starters going 97/98 first weekend and 2 out hurt right now that can do the same.  Have not thrown our closer yet who was 103 this fall.  I must admit for a freshman to be pumping 97 5 innings in is incredible.  Turned down first round money to go to college so good to see him succeed.  Sophomore transfer yesterday doing the same thing against his old squad.  2-0 to start season.  6 HR's in 2 games and Drew Gilbert got another grand slam yesterday.

Wow. Sounds like #19 is way too big a number.

I get the sense that @CTbaseballDad is not the type to talk about his son so I will... he got the Friday night start and pitched 6 innings of 1 hit ball while striking out 9.  He's the real deal.  I will brag about my own son when I get the opportunity!  Until then I will just talk about your kids.

Thanks, Scott, I appreciate the post!

Funny story I thought I'd share that may help some in the future.  We're driving from the airport and my son texts my wife, asking that we pick up a Bang energy drink.  We don't like to support such a habit, but agree since he's starting.  Go to first store we see and they only have Monster.  Wife says get the sugar free, I say no, doubt he drinks sugar free.  Give to son, wife looks it up, Bang is sugar free.  Wife is right again.

Fast forward to game, Jack has a good start, but then a real messy 3rd inning.  Velo down, hits 2 batters, walks another 2, including walking in a run.  Then I break into a cold sweat, thinking, darn, he probably drank that Monster and is having a sugar crash because I didn't buy the damn zero sugar drink.  That bad inning was all my fault.

Turns out, he took one sip before the game, didn't like it and threw it out.  Dad off the hook, bad inning was all on the boy!

Lesson learned, don't support your kid's bad habit and ALWAYS listen to your wife.

Here's to a great season for all out there!

Not a fan of the pitch clock violation/pitcher stepping off the rubber rule that is in place this season. Saw several pitchers this weekend get warnings from the umpires for stepping off the rubber and not "feinting" or making a pick off attempt.  Saw many of times the pitcher stepped off and made a half ass fake throw (like he was throwing a dart), then the opposing team get loud and yelling the old "not his best".  Still trying to figure out why they made it required to "feint" or pick off. To me, this doesn't speed up the game any.

@CTbballDad posted:

Thanks, Scott, I appreciate the post!

Funny story I thought I'd share that may help some in the future.  We're driving from the airport and my son texts my wife, asking that we pick up a Bang energy drink.  We don't like to support such a habit, but agree since he's starting.  Go to first store we see and they only have Monster.  Wife says get the sugar free, I say no, doubt he drinks sugar free.  Give to son, wife looks it up, Bang is sugar free.  Wife is right again.

Fast forward to game, Jack has a good start, but then a real messy 3rd inning.  Velo down, hits 2 batters, walks another 2, including walking in a run.  Then I break into a cold sweat, thinking, darn, he probably drank that Monster and is having a sugar crash because I didn't buy the damn zero sugar drink.  That bad inning was all my fault.

Turns out, he took one sip before the game, didn't like it and threw it out.  Dad off the hook, bad inning was all on the boy!

Lesson learned, don't support your kid's bad habit and ALWAYS listen to your wife.

Here's to a great season for all out there!

Congrats to CTbbDadSon. Your story about his sports drink reminded me of the day when Mark Buehrle had a break in his routine, when he forgot to pick up his favorite sportsdrink (Rockstar) on the way to one start...he had a pretty good result.

https://vault.si.com/vault/200...le-on-the-south-side

I saw my first live games of my son's college baseball team this weekend.  We never saw him play live his freshman year, had planned a trip in March '20, which of course was cancelled.  Team didn't play last year.  It was so exciting to actually be there at the field, watching games and how the team does things.  He and the team did well, so that was nice, too!

Son's Alma mater opens this upcoming weekend against SCC team. We have the league package from watching his GF's field hockey games, so I'll catch a few games this year. Time flies for sure. This year's seniors were freshmen when son was a senior. So these are the last of son's teammates still playing. I looked at the roster and saw many "unfamiliar faces."  I guess that's what happens when you lose almost 2 full seasons (no conference games) the last 2 years.

@baseballhs posted:

So far we’ve had a series in Phoenix where I got sunburned, followed two days later by a Tuesday night game in the mid 30s and this weekend we are in a pro stadium so we will have climate control. That said, I’d take heat every time over cold.

As might that famous baseball fan,  Robert Frost, depending on whether it's a single game, or a double dip.

FIRE AND ICE
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

My son is a freshman RHP at a D3.  He had his first outing yesterday; he was put in at the bottom of the 9th.  The team was getting slaughtered, so it was a great "no pressure" situation for him (and me - I was still a nervous wreck.)  It wasn't his best outing, but it wasn't horrible.  He hit the first batter on the foot on some kind of curve/slider - I can never tell what type of pitches they are!   The second batter hit into a double play.  My husband jinxed the next one - he commented "this guy hit a monster HR his last at bat."  You can guess what happened next.  And the fourth batter  struck out swinging.  My son ran off the field with a huge smile on his face so that alone was priceless to see.

The team heads south to Myrtle Beach next week and I'm going for the week.  Looking forward to warmer weather!

@Ripken Fan posted:

@fenwaysouth I just saw the Cornell vs UVA scores.. OUCH!

Talked to oldest son last night.  He said it was much worse than the score indicated ....that's a real OUCH!

I couldn't go to the games, as I had to pick up youngest son's truck at Fort Bragg.   A couple weeks ago, he won an all expense paid trip to somewhere in the world.   It sounds like my 7 hours on the highway was more exciting....

Congrats to the rest of the Ivy League.  Well done! 

@nycdad posted:

Unfortunately son had a front row seat to the "Tommy Tanks" show all weekend. Wow can that kid hit. Will be interesting to see how he does in ACC play. How he continues to crush the ball, seems like a nice kid.

The other day my youngest son (2022) sent me a video from Summer of 2019.  He was guest pitching (saving innings) for the 16U Academy Select team in Orlando (he was 15U).  Faced 6 kids in a pool game that did not matter.  One of them was Tommy.  Their career paths have diverged, but still a good story.

Swung through high FB (0-1)

Missed on 2 change ups (2-1)

Sword on slider (2-2)

Ump didn't call FB on outside corner (3-2)

Sword on slider (K)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.